• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
siqui sikh ji

At SPN we have some of the best people as members. Really they are very kind, intelligent and well-informed. There are always exceptions -- but our members for the most part carry on great discussions and do not instigate needless arguments. SPN is not like other forums for this reason. I learn from just about everyone here -- members share information and they also demonstrate great virtues like patience and forgiveness. Sat Nam. :)

GURPREET308

SPNer
Aug 21, 2006
Ahmedabad
Gurfateh to all members,

Thanks for the warm welcome from aman singhji, this is a very nice site of sikhism to attached the sikh people through this communication. Nice way to exchange their view and knowledge from anywhere in the world.

Rgds,
Avinash.

GURPREET308

SPNer
Aug 21, 2006
Ahmedabad
Gurfateh,

Can anybody let me know which is the birthdate of Seventh patshahi Guru har rai ji as there is a controversy information i do have, in some of the article it is mentiioned 26th feb 1630, but as per new calender it is on 31st jan so please do clarify me the exact information.

Awaiting for soon reply.

Thanks
Avinash.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Gurpreet308 ji

Welcome to SPN. You raise an interesting question and we have respected forum members who are ready to answer this one and others like it. Please join our conversations and enjoy our forum. Look to hear from you in many threads.

I use this calendar for gurupuruabs maintaining the SPN calendar.

http://www.gurbani.org/gurpurb.php

Kuls1980

SPNer
Jan 26, 2009
UK, Hertfordshire
Hello Everyone

My name is Kuldip Singh. I was born in the UK, but lived and studied in my early childhood in India. In my early child hood I lived in Punjab, a village called Kala Sangha dist Kapurthla. Then in my early teens I decided to move back to the UK with my family to continue my studies and I have lived here ever since.

Thank you

God bless

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Kuls1980 ji

One of the best things here is to say hello to a new member! Please enjoy this forum. Welcome and make use of all our resources. Participate in discussions, too!

Sep 12, 2007
GURPREET308 Ji,
WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH.

As our respected Holy place SACHKHAND SIRI HARMANDIR SAHEB JI,s record i am sending you the detail:
<CENTER>Guru Har Rai Sahib </CENTER>[SIZE=-1]
Guru Hargobind Sahib, before his departure for heavenly abode, nominated his grand son, Har Rai Ji at the tender age of 14, as his successor (Seventh Nanak), on 3rd March, 1644. Guru Har Rai Sahib was the son of Baba Gurdita Ji and Mata Nihal Kaur Ji(also known as Mata Ananti Ji). Guru Har Rai Sahib married to Mata Kishan Kaur Ji(Sulakhni Ji) daughter of Sri Daya Ram Ji of Anoopshahr (Bulandshahr) in Utter Pradesh on Har Sudi 3, Samvat 1697. Guru Har Rai Sahib had two sons: Sri Ram Rai Ji and Sri Har Krishan Sahib Ji(Guru).

Guru Har Rai Sahib was a man of peace but he never disbanded or discharged the armed Sikh Warriors(Saint Soldiers), who earlier were maintained by his grandfather (Guru Hargobind Sahib). He otherwise further boosted the military spirit of the Sikhs. But he never himself indulged in any direct political and armed controversy with the contemporary Mughal Empire. Once on the request of Dara Shikoh (the eldest son of emperor Shahjahan). Guru Sahib helped him to escape safely from the ****** hands of Aurangzebs armed forces during the war of succession.

Once Guru Sahib was coming back from the tour of Malwa and Doaba regions, Mohamad Yarbeg Khan, (son of Mukhlis Khan, who was killed by Guru Hargobind Sahib in a battle) attacked the kafla of Guru Sahib with the force of one thousand armed men. The unwarranted attack was repulsed by a few hundred Saint Soliders of Guru Sahib with great courge and bravery. The enemy suffered a heavy loss of life and fled the scene. This self-defense measure, (a befitting reply to the unwarranted armed attack of the privileged muslims), was an example for those who professed the theory of so called non-violence or "Ahimsa Parmo Dharma". Guru Sahib often awarded various Sikh warriors with gallantry awards.

Guru Sahib also established an Aurvedic herbal medicine hospital and a research centre at Kiratpur Sahib. There, he maintained a zoo also. Once Dara Shikoh, the eldest son of Shah Jahan fell seriously ill by some unknown disease. The best physicians available in the country and abroad were consulted, but there was no improvement. At last the emperor made a humble request to Guru Sahib for the treatment of his son. Guru Sahib accepting the request, handed over some rare and suitable medicines to the messenger of the emperor. The life of Dara Shikoh was saved from the cruel jaws of death. The emperor, whole heartily thanked and wanted to grant some "Jagir", but Guru Sahib never accepted.

Guru Har Rai Sahib also visited Lahore, Sialkot, Pathankot, Samba, Ramgarh and many places of Jammu and Kashmir region. He established 360 Sikh missionary seats (ManJis). He also tried to improve the old corrupt Masand system and appointed pious and committed personalities like Suthre Shah, Sahiba, Sangtia, Mian Sahib, Bhagat Bhagwan, Bahagat Mal and Jeet Mal Bhagat (also known as Bairagi), as the heads of ManJis.

Guru Har Rai Sahib faced some serious difficulties during the period of his guruship. The corrupt massands, Dhir Mals and Minas always tried to preclude the advancement of Sikh religion. After the death of Shah Jahan, the attitude of the state headed by Aurangzeb towards the non-muslims, turned hostile.

The emperor Aurangzeb made an excuse for the help rendered to prince Dara Shakoh by Guru Sahib during the war of succession and framed false charges against Guru Sahib and was summoned to Delhi. Ram Rai Ji appeard on behalf of Guru Sahib in the court. He tried to clarify some mis-understandings regarding Guru Ghar and Sikh faith, created by Dhirmals and Minas. Yet another trap, which he could not escape, was to clarify the meaning of the verse "The Ashes of the Mohammadan fall into the potter's clot, It is molded into pots and bricks, and they cry out as they burn".

Ram Rai, in order to please the emperor and gain more sympathy replied that the text had been needlessly corrupted by some ignorant person and inserted the word Musleman instead of word Beiman (dishonest). (The actual meaning of the verse is that the human soul is not bound to the physical structure or the body of a person. The physical material of the bodies of both Hindus and Muselmans face the same fate and it is a universal truth. The soul leaves the body immediately after the death and it does not remain in the grave waiting for doom's day. And the earth consumes the body-material in due course of time) It is a rational and scientific view of Sikhism.

When Guru Har Rai Sahib was informed about this incident, he immediately excommunicated Ram Rai Ji from the Sikh Panth and never met him, through the later pleaded repeatedly for forgiveness. Thus Guru Sahib established a strict property for the Sikhs against any alteration of original verse in Guru Granth Sahib and the basic conventions set up by Guru Nanak Sahib.

Knowing that the end was near, Guru Har Rai Sahib installed his younger son Har Krishan as the Eighth Nanak and passed away on Kartik Vadi 9 (5 Kartik), Bikrami Samvat 1718, (6th October, 1661) at Kiratpur Sahib.[/SIZE]

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
Dear Praghjot Ji.

Very wishfull thinking. You have to understand that our leaders or uneducated priest, our parenting styles from the childhood to teach our childerens to adapt the Sikhi principals and history will play a great role in shaping our communities.
Now it is visble and our generations are growing up since British Raj is over with cast system .
Even we have different names of our Gurudwara a place where every one is welcomed. Like Khals brotehrs Gurudwara and other Gurudwara.

Parents are drinking around going to clubs. There is norespect left for other sikh brothers than what you can expect from the childerens who know that can not even mary other than a sikh.:eek:. The wives are indulged in make thier faces and different fashions . There is no respect left between husband and wife. These thing we never heard it before. Very often our priest preaching to the grown up without making him understand the impotances of Amrit Shakna , but just keep on preaching in Gurudwara to impress the sangat by repeating every sunday " Amrit Shako Ji .Amrit Shako Ji"

Guru Nakak dev ji eliminated this cast system. We restored it. Let me see if ever such teaching done by our so called head of the panths priests every day after each Ardas.

Look how much we are diveded on every things. There are always fights for power by our sikh preist and lot more where the new generation do not understand which way to go.:eek:

:eek:Every thing has to start from Grass roots.Then they say who has the time?

I believe this decline is caused by our priest in Gurudwars for lack of preaching our fundamental beliefs and brotherhood.
Jaspai

Waheguruji Ka khalsa Waheguruji Ki Fateh. This is Prabhjot singh from Mumbai, India:p:p
As a Sikh leaving in India is been tough, the constant mocking by Non - sikhs has been on thr rise. The hostility by them is on rise. On the other hand seeing my sikh brothers cutting hairs, or even with hairs disobening Guruji's rules and involving in stuffs they shouldn't makes me sad. I was going to leave Mumbai, for a job in hyderabad. the only reason for the decision was the mere failure at influencing young childrens at my local Gurudware, atleast what i thought was the case. and then couple of days before i was leaving couple of boys on whom i have been working for around 2 years said that they wanted to be Amritdhari and want me to start Gatka classes again and they will show up in all classes and in all punjabi classes that i would arrange for them but no one would turn out for these classes.:p:p
They should me the positive responses that i wanted to see. Today they take care of sewa even if i am not there.They r responsible and want to be a better sikh. With corrupt managment at hand whatever i am doing is not the best, but will be trying things out for them. I see many sikhs in India, specially in Punjab cutting hairs and drinking, having drugs.:p:p
But when i see people there in US/Candana, I am not worried any more. I cannot change what Guruji wants, hope that its good for sikhs in India.:p:p
:p:p

Kuls1980

SPNer
Jan 26, 2009
UK, Hertfordshire
Kuls1980 ji

One of the best things here is to say hello to a new member! Please enjoy this forum. Welcome and make use of all our resources. Participate in discussions, too!

aadooo2 ji

Thank you for your kindness and the warm welcome. I will be taking advantage of the full recourses this site has to offer.

Thank you Again

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Respected older forum members,

PLEASE let us keep our remarks on this thread Introducing Myself friendly, welcoming and warm . We are welcoming new members. This is not the place to give lengthy expressions of opinion on topics -- which can be posted as new threads. New members (I was one myself a while ago) can be scared away from the forum or into silence if they think that just saying Hello will lead to an intense reaction. We want new people to feel welcome and important -- not overwhelmed. Thank you.
aad0002

Rani Sandhu

SPNer
Feb 7, 2009
Toronto
Sat Sri Akal All,

My name is Rani, I was just curious about some on of the deep questions that we fail to address, for example: life after death according to sikhism....so I googled this question and I came across this website...I found it really interesting.......and here am I:)

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Welcome to SPN... i am sure you will find some fascinating theories on Life after death on this forum. All the best and hope that you enjoy stay over here... :)

Regards

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
Rni Ji
S.S.Akal. To make more sense in real world to your wondering please follow the old saying
"death's day is dooms day".

If not all but most of the answers you will get when you are on board to understand the Gurbani and Guru Granth sahib JI.Guru nanak Dev ji has taought us all the most transparent beliefs in truth and truthful living..

The rest is just to walk on that path.
Jaspi

Sat Sri Akal All,

My name is Rani, I was just curious about some on of the deep questions that we fail to address, for example: life after death according to sikhism....so I googled this question and I came across this website...I found it really interesting.......and here am I:)

Jaspi ji also ways welcome to you here at SPN.
aad0002

Kehar

SPNer
Feb 18, 2009
Sat nam all,

My name is Kehar Kaur, and I'm a practicing Kundalini yogi from the US. I have found the truths I always felt and believed in my soul described in the writings of sikhism (i love japji and reading from the ssgs). I was raised catholic, but new that wasn't the path for me. I am figuring out my own path right now, and I love to study different religions and find the similarities between them. I'm hear to learn and discuss with like-minded people. I am also a singer (classically trained) and wish to talk and learn about performing gurbani kirtan. Wahe guru!

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Sat nam all,

My name is Kehar Kaur, and I'm a practicing Kundalini yogi from the US. I have found the truths I always felt and believed in my soul described in the writings of sikhism (i love japji and reading from the ssgs). I was raised catholic, but new that wasn't the path for me. I am figuring out my own path right now, and I love to study different religions and find the similarities between them. I'm hear to learn and discuss with like-minded people. I am also a singer (classically trained) and wish to talk and learn about performing gurbani kirtan. Wahe guru!

Kehar,

Guru Fateh.

Welcome to the forum. The best thing about Sikhi is that it leads us to self discovery. The tools given to us in SGGS help us become aware and breed manifestation of love from the within. As we all know love can not be imposed. Hence we learn to lead our lives with wills and will nots rather than cans and can nots.

Your own input, your thoughts and your sharing your own love within is important to us so we can learn from you.

Enjoy your journey and we all hope to enrichen ourselves with what you have to offer.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Kehah Kaur ji

Welcome to SPN. You bring a bright set of experiences and perspectives that will make our discussions richer and deeper. I hope that you participate often and start threads so that others can discuss topics that interest you.

Sat Nam
Antonia

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM