• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
parry ji

Welcome to SPN. I for one look forward to your participation in ithe forums here at SPN. We are going through many changes to the forum software that are bringing great resources for members to enjoy. I hope you enjoy those resources -- and participate in our discussions.

Fateh jio!

prem mirg

SPNer
Jun 7, 2008
Re: Happy Birthday Ankhila !!!

my name is prem mirg i live in quetta pakistan and belong to a hindu family.iam 30 year old and love gurabani very much.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Happy Birthday Ankhila !!!

Welcome prem.ming ji

It is a pleasrue to greet you. I hope you find many interesting resources on this network. Join discussions, start discussions, begin a blog, and make this your home on the net.

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
Sat Nam, and Welcome, Chuck! We are glad you are here- please feel free to ask anything you want to ask. I have found that if someone does not have an answer, he or she will say so and will steer you to someone who knows the answer- as they say, Seek and you shall find!
Blessings,
KulwantK

Jun 13, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Wahgeguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Firstly, I thank you Almighty Waheguru Ji and Guru Ji for
showing me this website on the Internet.
Secondly, thank you SPN administrators and members who created this webpage
to give knowledge to ignorent people like me who had been wandering in the dark
for ages after ages.

Guru Kirpa.
Sunandha Kaur

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Welcome to SPN, Sunandha Ji.
Feel free to to share your views with other members.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Wahgeguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Firstly, I thank you Almighty Waheguru Ji and Guru Ji for
showing me this website on the Internet.
Secondly, thank you SPN administrators and members who created this webpage
to give knowledge to ignorent people like me who had been wandering in the dark
for ages after ages.

Guru Kirpa.
Sunandha Kaur

Welcome Sunandha Kaur

We are all very happy that you have joined us. Please know that we are all wandering, perhaps for ages for some of us, and we are here to learn. You are going to find many great conversations and resources on this network.

Apr 27, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil
I'm a middle-age woman who still feeds some ambitions. One of them is to develop new acquaintances with whom to disclosure new horizons and explore unsuspected life angles; an environmentalist by conviction and learning to accept time flow not as a burden but an opportunity to growth.
At this moment of my life it's my wish to have wisdom do deal with life events admitting I don't have stamina for a speedy pace in my daily chores.
I wear casual clothes prioritizing comfort over fashion. You probably won't ever see me in high heels or dressed up.
Little things of life are much more invigorating than great journeys into exotic places. In a nutshell, I'm going through a quiet process of reinventing myself as a blogger and news-hunter and this activity is offering me the opportunity of bringing the world up to my computer screen discovering there are wonderful possibilities still waiting to be explored at their fullest.

Nothing happens by chance, I do believe in fate. My main goal is to reach sahaj state and help others to do the same through Gurbani study and sewa.

“Se vogliamo che tutto rimanga come è, bisogna che tutto cambi”
Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Bhanji Kaur ji

You have been a member of SPN for longer than I have. So glad that you are now introducing yourself. I don't have to explain how the forum provides rich resources to you, as you are an Internet whiz if I say so myself.

Glad to shake your hand once again. Heh Heh Of course virtual handshake.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Recepción a SPN oficialmente otra vez, Brazillian Kaur Ji. Creo que hemos intercambiado opiniónes sobre música antes. Sienta libre de fijar aquí en discusiones en curso.

That is like giving life to a sentence written by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa in its Leopard: "If we want to keep it this way, it is necessary that everything changes…"

rotrge

SPNer
Jun 19, 2008
sat sri akal

I am by the grace of waheguro on the panth. I have come here after much study of many other paths , none of which seemed to resonate internally. I am living in a rural area and hope to garner a lot of imformation from the good people to whom i know introduce myself.

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
Dear introducing myself.

In my opinion you are very rich in your heart and you can open a ocean of new ways to enlighten your self from Guru Granth Sahib ji after listening in Gurudwara.

Rest is understanding which you can meet some one who knows well the Gurbani. That wiil be your biggest achievement for the entire life. Just keep on remembering the God and appreciate his creations.

We are come from one light and there is no one is lower by birth or family he is born in.

Jaspi

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Welcome rotrge ji

I hope that this forum helps you delve even deeper into your spiritual self. Please make yourself at home and enjoy all of our resources.

:)

Dhimaan

SPNer
May 16, 2008
Punjab, India.
Dear aad0002 ji

Thanks for such warm words to make me feel so welcome here.

Can you please tell me about following things, which I find not easy to understand:

1. Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji wanted to eradicate all the caste divsions and make a class less society. Same was preached by all other guru sahibaanz too! Everybody is supposed to be equal, same is the logic why everybody must partake langar by being seated on ground, no matter rich or poor. So, why is it then that a true class less society still is not extant? Why is a sikh still a believer in such a 'partial and prejudiced' system and adds a surname afet Singh ? Kaur to display that he is jatt, ramgarhia, Khatri? Will this thing ever disappear? Isn't a class less society one of the main foundations of sikhism? Then, why the people think they are sikhs just because they follow the outward symbols but fail at the very basic point? In my opinion, a patit sikh (one who has shorn of his hair) is better than such a hypocrite. No offense please, I do not mean I say one should cut the kesh. On the contrary, I have always exhorted all my sikh friends to maintain their outward appearance.

2. Another query is that, hindus were (and I sincerely pray, will be once again) the largest segment which embraced sikhism and many sikhs today can find their roots in hindu households. maybe 10 generations back, may more, may be less. So, since caste system was such a part and participle of hindu way of life the {censored} and bits are seen even nowadays. And then again, some jobs were always associated with some castes e.g., farming with jatts, machining/engineering/ masonary with dhimans/ramgarhias, shopkeeping/business with banias and so on....; My question is why we have people in sikhism fold who came from manifolds of almost everybody except brahmins and banias? What is the real reason?

3. I have seen some people here referring to Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji as God. It does not seem proper, Is it okay to do so? AFAIK, he never said he was God.

4. Does 'Waheguru' refer to the Supreme, or to the Guru Ji?

5. Why the practice of raising a son as sikh not seen nowadays in hindu families?

6. What is the annual growth of sikhism in %age? Is it only achieved by virtue of births in a sikh family OR are there people happily embracing sikhism as a way of life? (Islam is the largest growing religion today, much of it due to people who convert too.) Does SGPC keep a record of this? What is the purpose of the Dharam Prachar done by them? Whom is it aimed at-people who are sikhs but do not practice their religion OR at people who want to come to the fold of this great dharam?

7. Is Sehajdhari sikh concept okay in today's world scenario? Is it okay to follow sikhism in true spirit than just maintaining an outward appearance?

8. I was once asked by a gurudwara sewadar at Paonta Sahib to cover my head while going to a washroom(toilets) in gurudwara! He was a recent convert to sikhism, and was a bihari. What is the reason for this misplaced interpretation of sikhism. (Of course, the washrooms were in a separate building than the main gurudwara. Am I really supposed to cover my head in a place meant to excrete. Surely, a washroom is not a holy place.)

I am a sincere seeker of knowledge and would like to make myself a better person by interacting on this great place. It is not my intention to disturb or agonise any community or person in particular. I am here to learn, that's it.

Regards.

Prashant Dhiman.

Prashant ji (Dhimaan)

Please feel welcome here. Your praise of SPN sounds like music to the ear. Those were some very kind and thoughtful words.

Coming from a family that part Sikh and part Hindu is a pattern that tends to be overlooked and underestimated in terms of how widespread it is. It goes back centuries as you yourself are hinting at. The practice of raising one son as a Sikh was tradition in the Punjab during the time of the Gurus.

I think you would enjoy the book East of Indus: My Memories of Old Punjab, by Gurnam Singh. He talks about this and other Hindu/Sikh relationships. For example, in most of the traditional villages the school teacher was likely to be a Hindu or a Muslim. In the villages, the local deras, once Hindu, were later converted to gurdwaras. However among untouchable castes, the gurdwaras retained many Hindu traditions. A very complicated and complex story.

Please make yourself at home. Please participate in the discussions.

Flower2

SPNer
Jun 30, 2008
UK
Hi everyone

Im a 23 year old Norwegian girl who lives in the UK and with a sikh guy. We're gettin married either end of this year or beginning of 2009. I've always liked learning about other people's culture and religion and naturally as Im settlin down with him Id like to learn more about sikhism.

Thought one of the ways to learn is through dicussing various topic with sikhs/non sikhs. I have read a bit about sikhism, learning gurmukhi and been to Punjab n Golden Temple and I think your religion/way of life is really nice and inspirational;)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Flower2 ji

There is no question that you will learn and learn and learn from the forum. Welcome, and join the fun, avail yourself of all the resources.
;)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: