• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Respected Islamfac

Answer to your question" What is the proper way to greet Sikhs?' is
1." Sat Sree Akaal" Only God is True"(Rrest come and go)
2. Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, waheguru ji ki Fateh. " Khalsa belongs to The God, and Victory To God"
Idea is the same, insha Allah pick "what does suit to you."

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
A person can also say Sat Nam -- bend your arms at your elbows, keep the upper part of your arms to either side of your rib cage, and turn palms upward, but not stiff, very relaxed. It is a nice gesture. Almost like Italians.

jonfan

SPNer
May 12, 2008
Hi! My name is Jon. I am here to learn about your beliefs. I am not here for debate. My DFL once said I was world Curious and I guess that is true! I am a Catholic who lives in America and enjoy talking to people of different cultures. God Bless!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Welcome Jonfan ji

Please enjoy all the dialog. Just avoid the debates when they break out. There is a lot to read. You can also start a blog if you want to explore issues in Sikhism without having other members raise your comments to the level of a debate. Start some threads. Post some spiritual articles. Like you, there are many people who prefer to learn through questions and dialog, but then like to reflect and think. They will benefit from your contributions. There are peaceful corners and also some really humorous discussions here. I hope you enjoy your stay.

KILLA_SIN

SPNer
Oct 8, 2007
Hello, I been a member about a month and have been casually reading the forum, I hate hello's and goodbyes but I thought it's about time I introduced myself.

I'm 24 and was born in mainly a non-religious non-practising Sikh family, but ever since I was a kid I have always thought I was going crazy constantly thinking about God and religion all the time? Its taken me a long time to own up to the fact that these thoughts are here for a reason and since i've been reading bani things are getting clearer slowly.

Oh I named myself 'Killa Sin' after my favourite rapper from a group called Killarmy, but its just reminder to me that ive committed some killer sins...Ive never been afraid of anything but I am afraid now of the reality of some of things I have done and how far away I've gone from God

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Welcome Killa_Sin ji

I hope the forum has been both educational and informational. Remember from Gurbani that when He hears cries of pain and distress He answers. That is all the advice I am giving today.:) Relax. The forum is a place to meet some very interesting people, and to read very interesting conversations in progress.

Sat Nam

May 14, 2008
Hello my name is David and i am a nominal catholic interested in different religions. So far i have been to two gurudawaras that were named after the first and the last titular leaders of the guru lineage. I also belong to a Hindu, Catholic, Muslim, and Jewish forum as well.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Hello my name is David and i am a nominal catholic interested in different religions. So far i have been to two gurudawaras that were named after the first and the last titular leaders of the guru lineage. I also belong to a Hindu, Catholic, Muslim, and Jewish forum as well.

Fateh ji and Welcome.

I hope you find this forum an interesting place. Please participate in the dialogs. We are very happy to meet you. You may not actually mean first and last "titular" leaders of the guru lineage. They were leaders and gurus 'in fact.' But all is well that ends well, and you were able to visit the darshan of Guru Sahib. Please make yourself at home. :)

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Uhmmm, did I say something wrong?

Thanks for the tracer back to the kirtan with subtitles link -- mainly because it has so much kirtan on it. I never read the subtitle/words, 'cept first time through. But there are a couple of us who like to keep all the kirtan in an easy to find place.

So everybody on this thread -- get started learning your gurbani kirtann, one of the fasted ways to start learning gurbani.

just curious

SPNer
May 19, 2008
Hey all,
I just stumbled across this whilst looking for info about sikhism, its something that is very new to me and i've been trying to get as much information about it as i can about customs and beliefs, and so far these discussions have been a great help!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Just curious ji

I found SPN in exactly the same way and now I am hopelessly lost in its conversataions, news articles, personalities and array of services, blogs, and albums.

Please enjoy your time spent here. We are glad to make your acquaintance.

Dhimaan

SPNer
May 16, 2008
Punjab, India.
Hello everyone here.

I have been asked to introduce myself to all around, as I am a new member.

I am born in a family where half members are sikh and other half is hindu. My beliefs are influenced by both, and even though I am born a Hindu...I am more inclined towards sikhism. I have a son whom I want to bring up as a sikh, since I will love to see sikhism grow by leaps and bounds. I do not quite understand why this practice where every hindu household used to raise one son as a sikh is not prevalent today. May be it is because of politics and radicalism.

I found this website by chance, when I googled 'shivling at mecca'. I was astounded by the kind of in depth treatment given to the subject in your threads, and that made me sign-up.

I just want to learn more about sikhism, as much as I can. I have a lot of questions too which I will keep on posting sometime later. Before doing that, I want to make myself aware of this site, what it has to offer.

Bye.

Prashant Dhiman.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Prahant ji (Dhimaan)

Please feel welcome here. Your praise of SPN sounds like music to the ear. Those were some very kind and thoughtful words.

Coming from a family that part Sikh and part Hindu is a pattern that tends to be overlooked and underestimated in terms of how widespread it is. It goes back centuries as you yourself are hinting at. The practice of raising one son as a Sikh was tradition in the Punjab during the time of the Gurus.

I think you would enjoy the book East of Indus: My Memories of Old Punjab, by Gurnam Singh. He talks about this and other Hindu/Sikh relationships. For example, in most of the traditional villages the school teacher was likely to be a Hindu or a Muslim. In the villages, the local deras, once Hindu, were later converted to gurdwaras. However among untouchable castes, the gurdwaras retained many Hindu traditions. A very complicated and complex story.

Please make yourself at home. Please participate in the discussions.

May 24, 2008
Welcome to SPN !!

This is a place for new members to introduce themselves to the Network. Please enjoy your stay over here and have a nice time.

With Best Regards

Aman Singh
SPN Management
Dear Sir,
WJKK WJKF
I am Gursikh boy of 25 yrs based at Ludhiana . I did not know anything much about Sikhism till I got to read Sikh Phulwari published by ' Sikh Missionary College , Ludhiana ' by chance . Then slowly I started reading all their literature one by one . I can say for sure that their writings r most authentic & unbiased . Morover they r non-political which is rarest of rare in case of Sikh organisations . I am continuing as to read more material & give my views wherever I deem myself capable of .
Chardi Kala for all Gursikhs
Regards ,
Dalbir Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dalbir j i

I cannot say, because I do not know, anything about the politics of this organization. But this is something that I can say -- Welcome to SPN. You will find this becoming an important part of your education.

ChuckEB

SPNer
May 28, 2008
Seattle, WA
I left the Catholic Church five or so years ago. I could no longer attend mass without feeling like a hypocrit. I do not believe that Jesus is God. God is One. In my journey I have encountered many good words of Judaism, Islam, and I have learned much from the words of the Buddha and his followers.
I took a quiz on a website called beliefnet.com that asked many questions about my belief in what God is and what God does. There were also many other questions about ethics and moarality. Much to my suprise, when I submitted my answers, I was told that my outlook was that of the Sikh faith. Now I need to find out about the Sikh faith in some depth. Any direction for an American would be helpful.

Thanks,
Chuck
Welcome to SPN !!

This is a place for new members to introduce themselves to the Network. Please enjoy your stay over here and have a nice time.

With Best Regards

Aman Singh
SPN Management

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Chuck ji

Welcome to the forum at SPN. We have many resources that you will find interesting. And many discussions ongoing that you will most likely enjoy. Please participate and start discussions.

It is not unusual for former Roman Catholics to find a certain something is fulfilled by Sikhism, and not by other religious paths. Learn and interact and discover what Sikhi may have to offer.

It is good to see you here.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: