• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Most respected Friar Yid,

Welcome to the forum. You have a most interesting screen name. I hope that you have interesting discussions. Enjoy the resources of our SPN>

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Friar Yid Ji,

Welcome to SPN

welcome.gif

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
What does everyone think of NamJap's welcome gif's -- flashing and all of that? Am home sick and am updating all of my fonts and programs on my laptop which hasn't seen any action since September. A Windows machine. So there were 18 Windows updates to do.

Just though I would share a little of my personal day with all of you.

LennyG

SPNer
Apr 19, 2008
Liverpool, England
:eek:Hello To You All !

I'm LennyG, real name Gary, but tend to use my stage name on the net ! I'm a poet, and up until 2003 was an active "slam" (poetry gigs) performer; then bowel cancer struck. What followed was a life saving operation, and a few years of what I term "hell" health ! I am currently sailing calmer waters, healthwise, but face another surgical intrusion next saturday to investigate whether I have duodenal cancer. I am quietly confident that I am free of that particular "lodger", and tried worming my way out of having a saturday afternoon at the gastro ward !!! I have a variety of other medical conditions, but I'll refrain from boring you any further !!!:8-:)You can gather that I am what is termed chronically ill:8-:)!!!
Onto matters spiritual ! Phew I hear you cry out:up:!!! I am 47, married with a very supportive wife, Nicky, and great daughter Becky; they are my rocks !!! I digress, which I do an awful lot !!! I have been a christian, buddhist, bahai, theosophist, rosicruscian, pagan, spiritualist, and even atheist !!! Its a miracle I havent ended up in a "funny farm", or maybe I have but havent noticed :eek:!!! AND now I've arrived HERE:up:!!! I have to admit that I am a NOVICE, and have only read little bits from the internet; but I am impressed and want to know more. So I am here to learn !!! I know there is a Sikh Temple in Liverpool, however I don't know when the services are or who to contact. I am though, eager to learn about the Sikh faith,
Briefly, I believe in reincarnation, that humans return as humans; either sex. I don't believe in hell ! Or rather, I believe we create our own heaven/hell by how we live. I have read books by Jordan Maxwell - Edgar Cayce - Rudolf Steiner - Barry Long - David Icke and a few others including Osho.
Now I would like to know what books I would need to read in order to learn more about the Sikh Faith.
AND thats it:up::up::up:

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards:star:,

LennyG

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Lenny ji

I guess my hope is that you find in Sikhism what you did not find in all the other paths of faith and spirit. You have a lot on your plate. For sure, you are the one who has to make sense of these experiences of pain, frustration, and everything else. But I still hear humor in your voice. And you are looking around and seeing the beauty of you family and the world in spite of yourself.

As for beginning the gurdwara experience -- if that is what you are saying you would like to do. I will look to see if there is a web site. You may be able to contact someone who can help you take the first steps: see what it is like inside, accompany you to your first service, know how to enter and all about langar. Things like that.

Welcome to SPN. Any of the mods are at your service in the forum or by private message. Do not hesitate to ask for our help.

Now looking for Liverpool gurdwaras and web sites for you.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Lenny ji, I found 2 gurdwaras, but no web sites rich with information.

1. Guru Nanak Academy
36 Merrilocks Road
Blundellsands
Liverpool
L23 6UN
I think this is the telephone number 0151 924 5848
Tel: 0151 924 5848 (home) Contact: Gopal Singh

Gurdwaras are run by management committees not by clergy. In Sikhism there are no clergy. There is a granthi, a person learned in scripture, and sometime more than one granthi. So you would want to start to connect with the Secretary.

2. Gurdwara Sikh Community Centre
Wellington Avenue
Liverpool
Tel: (051) 773 0076

This one I had a bit more luck. There is a web site, not much information. But there is a contact person, and an email address to the secretary. So that is a start. And there are daily services.

Hope this helps you get started.

Sikh Community Centre

LennyG

SPNer
Apr 19, 2008
Liverpool, England
Lenny ji, I found 2 gurdwaras, but no web sites rich with information.

1. Guru Nanak Academy
36 Merrilocks Road
Blundellsands
Liverpool
L23 6UN
I think this is the telephone number 0151 924 5848
Tel: 0151 924 5848 (home) Contact: Gopal Singh

Gurdwaras are run by management committees not by clergy. In Sikhism there are no clergy. There is a granthi, a person learned in scripture, and sometime more than one granthi. So you would want to start to connect with the Secretary.

2. Gurdwara Sikh Community Centre
Wellington Avenue
Liverpool
Tel: (051) 773 0076

This one I had a bit more luck. There is a web site, not much information. But there is a contact person, and an email address to the secretary. So that is a start. And there are daily services.

Hope this helps you get started.

Sikh Community Centre

:)Many, many thanks for taking the time & effort to assemble the information on Sikh Temples and websites; you have knocked me out with the speed of your response !!!:)I now have something concrete to work with.

Regards,

LennyG aka Gaz

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Punjabi Princess ji

Welcome To Spn .your profile is showing that you joined sikhphilosophy in 2006 so you are not new.But Still Welcome back

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Punjab Princess,

I am very pleased that you have joined the conversations on SPN. Please become an active commentator. Welcome.

simple sikh

SPNer
Jul 16, 2006
Canada
Waheguru Ji Ka khalse, Waheguru Ji ke fateh.

I'm from Canada. Have had this account made for a while now, but finally explored into the many topics/threads which are of such interest. I'm glad I finally logged on today.

Slight problem is I can't download any of the attachments. Maybe due to my never using this account since I made it? Any help would be appreciated...as I do not have the proper font to read through most things and would like to download it sometime soon.

Kind regards.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
simple sikh ji

Welcome to SPN. I am very pleased that you have decided to participate in the discussions.

To download attachments -- do you mean by that when you click on links you don't see the page associated with the link? Do you also mean downloading document attachments? If that is the problem then you have to look at your browser settings. How to accomplish the goal depends on 2 things. Are you using a MAC - OS or a Windows - XP machine? Next, which browser are you using? Every browser has a different set up for adjusting settings so that you can download pages and attachments. In general, you need to find the settings that direct the browser as to how to download and where a file should go. . For example, on a MAC - OS using Firefox, find Firefox Preferences and then select the Content Tab to permit pop up windows to download. And select the Main Tab to tell Firefox where to save all file types as downloads.

Managing fonts is a little more complicated. For this to work for you first you must have the right fonts in your font folder on your hard-drive to read the fonts on this site. You can download fonts from the Sikh Philosophy Network at this link.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/annoucements/16020-download-gurumukhi-fonts-and-installation-guide.html

You may also have to adjust font settings for some browsers. They do not all automatically read/write with fonts that have been downloaded. And again every browser is different. That can get complicated. Send me a pm for help with this.

Apologies for this long-winded response - but everything depends on your operating system and the browsers you use.

simple sikh

SPNer
Jul 16, 2006
Canada
Aad0002,

thank you for the kind post. I tried your link and it didn't go through for some reason so I went on the homepage --> announcements --> Download Gurmukhi Fonts and Installation Guide --> tried to download one of the attachments from the message posted by Aman Singh.

This is the message that comes up in another window:
simple sikh, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Maybe this can help clarify somewhat with the problem. I'm using Windows Vista and lastly, I'm using Internet Explorer. Any help would be appreciated!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
simple sikh ji

What you are describing here has happened to me from time to time. It is a software glitch that comes and goes.

I just tried it and the link works when I search for it. And you are right. It doesn't work when I try it on this thread. HMMMMMM!

Do this and see if you are successful. Go up to the SEARCH button in the upper right hand corner. Type in the word fonts. A page of threads should come up. One will say: Download Gurumukhi Fonts & Installation Guide Then click on that link. It will probably work.

P/S Another way to do this is to find the Announcements Link on the SPN homepage. Click on that link and again find the thread that says Download Gurumukhi Fonts & Installation Guide

So what I am going to do is report your post -- usually we do this when there is a bad thing happening -- but this way Aman ji, the admin, will see it and figure out what the problem is all about.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Lucy Ahmed

SPNer
Apr 28, 2008
Malaysia
Hi,

I am "new" here.
I am not a sikh.
I am a Malaysian.
I respect all religions, as long as it's a religion of love and not hate, a religion of non-discrimination amongst human being.
The respect of individual humanity and nature is my top priority.

I came to know about this site when I searched Google on "gurdwara pakistan". Anyway, amongst the search that came out was this: "http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/5730-a-disturbing-message-from-pakistan.html".

I opened the site, and read.
I've just came back from Pakistan couple of days ago, and I have my own version of experienced visiting gurdwaras there. So here I am...

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Lucy Ahmed Ji,

Selamat Datang Ke SPN. Please feel free to browse and post your opinions. Everyone is welcome here regardless of race, religion and color. A good place to start would be Interfaith Dialogues section.

~ namjap ~

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Welcome Lucy ji

I read your comments in the thread a few minutes ago. I was impressed by how you stay close to the facts and give a very balanced account. Enjoy SPN>

Lucy Ahmed

SPNer
Apr 28, 2008
Malaysia

Wow...I met a fellow Malaysian here. Great.
Thanks Namjap. Mmmm my race, religion and color are all on the opposite side. :)
And "hi" aad0002. I could only offer my life experince here.

Yes, I will try to join in the forum as suited, but I'm afraid my ignorant and over-curiousity may offend some here. Thus I shall limit myself. My saying at "A disturbing msg from Pakistan" has already said it all that I just love the community, but my knowledge on the religion and custom are very minimal. So before hand, please forgive me and correct me if I ever make any mistake.
My very first visit to a gurdwara was on Christmas Day in 2006. I was a bit reluctant as I did not know anyone there (and still now barely know anyone). At that time I came rather early for I didn't know their timing. The surrounding seem empty, but there were people busy at the kitchen. I was all lost and I walked in, and they welcome me, thus I offered my hand. Anyway over the time, I noticed few ladies were, shall I say, a bit on-the-top. What I mean was arrogant. But again that is individual. We are all human beings colored with our own 'black & white', so I ignored them, but sadly I stopped going into the kitchen.

My other experienced while in the kitchen was tasting the food (this happened in Malaysia). Oppssst...it was a mistake. I'm sorry...I didn't know that we are not supposed to do any tasting, no sampling! :( It was my habit that whenever I prepare food I taste them, but here I found that we are not allow. I apologized.

Nevertheless the first visit was a fantastic experienced, and still I attend the Sunday prayer whenever possible. I love the hymns. They just mesmerised me, and I found that they are very relaxing to my soul. I believe God is in us, and whenever we feel peace deep in, we are with God. And yes, I bought a book on "Hymns of Baba Nanak" while in Lahore.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: