• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
Hello everyone I'm John, I'm a European-American from Austin, Texas.

I'm here to learn about Sikhism because I have felt an urge to convert and to change my lifestyle, and would like to know more about what that would entail.

About my path: I was brought up in a non-religious household (Christmas-Easter-Funeral Christians) and spent most of my life up until about a year or two ago fluctuating between agnosticism and atheism. I've recently felt a calling toward God from my spiritual side and have been searching for the right path. I experimented with Buddhist meditation which I found beneficial in reducing stress and increasing perspective, but still wanted to learn how to worship God, something that Buddhism does not discuss. I then explored Christianity and then Islam, but abandoned both due to some of the off-putting passages in scripture (calls to violence) and both religions' godlike elevation of their "final messengers". I was also turned off by the rigid approach to worship which seemed to shun the spiritual aspects of having a relationship with God. No disrespect meant to any of the religions I have mentioned. One thing is for sure and that is that I believe in one and only one God. Okay, sorry for the rant.

Please feel free to PM me for any reason and especially if you can share any resources that could educate me on what my daily practices would be once becoming a Khalsa, should I choose that path. I have seen many great guides concerning Sikhi philosophy (which I have found very enlightening) but few resources regarding the practical aspects of Sikh life and application of philosophy (other than basics such as the five K's, etc.). Although I have white skin, I would like to stay away from 3HO or Sikhnet because from what I can already tell, they seem to have taken quite a bit of liberty in their interpretation of Sikhism.

Thanks everyone, have a nice day.

My reply:-

From your post I am happy to learn that you are seeking a path leading to God. Some religions boast that their religion is the best that leads one to salvation.
In Sikhism our mentors, The Gurus, never made such controversial claims. For us every religion has its own merits.
Some religions solicit to people of other religion/s offering many allurements. Our Gurus had advocated to the humanity to be truthful and, to whatever religion they belong, they should be good human beings and practice their religion devotedly.
But we welcome cheerfully any person who wants to be a member of our Sikh religion/community.
Now when you are really interested to be a member of Sikhism I advise you to approach nearest Sikh Temple (Gurdwara) and meet any Member of the Management Committee of the Gurdwara. They will be glad to guide you in your pursuit.
You can also surf the internet. There are many sites on our religion, history, scriptures etc. Some of which I am Giving here under:-
www.sikh.org
srigurugranthsahib.org
fateh.sikhnet.com
allaboutsikh.com
japjisahib.com
http://kslamba.wordpress.com

I will be happy to know your progress in this matter.

Alan491

SPNer
Oct 16, 2012
hello Sarbjit. i'm sukhi and... uh yeah... nice to meet u.
10dh.jpg
09ht.jpg
09ax.jpg
09jh.jpg
09bh.jpg

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
My reply:-

From your post I am happy to learn that you are seeking a path leading to God. Some religions boast that their religion is the best that leads one to salvation.
In Sikhism our mentors, The Gurus, never made such controversial claims. For us every religion has its own merits.
Some religions solicit to people of other religion/s offering many allurements. Our Gurus had advocated to the humanity to be truthful and, to whatever religion they belong, they should be good human beings and practice their religion devotedly.
But we welcome cheerfully any person who wants to be a member of our Sikh religion/community.
Now when you are really interested to be a member of Sikhism I advise you to approach nearest Sikh Temple (Gurdwara) and meet any Member of the Management Committee of the Gurdwara. They will be glad to guide you in your pursuit.
You can also surf the internet. There are many sites on our religion, history, scriptures etc. Some of which I am Giving here under:-
www.sikh.org-this is an invalid link
srigurugranthsahib.org
fateh.sikhnet.com
allaboutsikh.com-this is an invalid link
japjisahib.com-this is an invalid link
http://kslamba.wordpress.com

I will be happy to know your progress in this matter.

but my very favourite (yes, this is is sarcasm) srigurugranthsahib.org seems to be a tribute page to some Baba or other. What I really like about this site is under Sikh quotations

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="300"><tbody><tr> <td align="right" bgcolor="#EFA93E" height="113">
qv-tl.gif
</td> <td rowspan="2" valign="top" width="229">
qv-era.gif

qv-toc.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" valign="top">
qv-bl.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table>Baba Nand Singh ji Maharaj! Brilliant! Priorities eh

Srigranth.org is an english translation of the holy book, the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, without any Babas or Sants to muddy the waters

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Palaingthaji

I would most humbly ask you that you check all links before advising someone new to Sikhi to read them. Some may be dead links, some could be links to anti Sikh websites, some could be links to Deras or Babas, it is vital that only links to websites that we are familiar with should be quoted.

Thank you

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
Palaingthaji

I would most humbly ask you that you check all links before advising someone new to Sikhi to read them. Some may be dead links, some could be links to anti Sikh websites, some could be links to Deras or Babas, it is vital that only links to websites that we are familiar with should be quoted.

Thank you

Good advise!
Thanks.

Ahiyapuri

SPNer
Oct 20, 2012
Sabh Nun Sat Sri Akaal ji
My name is Nirmal Ahiyapuri.
I am interested in religions and religious discussions.
I believe that Guru Nanak Dev Ji maharaj was a hindu and so were his other family members specially Baba Sri Chand ji who adhered to udasin samparday of Hindu sant samaaj.
Till date I am trying to find the meaning of:
Pratham Bhagwati Simriae Guru nanak Layee Dhiyae........
Did Guru ji worshipped Bhagwati Devi Durga/Chandi as she was worshipped by Dasam Patshahi Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji and it is believed that she blessed him with the sword.
Just curious
Guru Panth ka daas
Nirmal

Oct 21, 2012
SSA Friends ,

I am Ramneet Kaur and i am having an online Store for Punjabi and Sikh related Items in India. We have been serving the Sikh related items since 2001 and now on request of some of our distant customers we have started with online services. Here you can get all the products you require with no or minimal shipping charges.

This Store is a one stop shop for every Sikh needs. Soon you all will get the lot of products range into it.

Also by November we will also add the international shipping for all our products except hair sprays( For now If you need something from the store and live offshore then you can contact us at support@pure-punjabi.com and we can arrange it )

Friends we need you help and support to promote our store

Kindly check the store and its facebook page and do like and share with all your friends ... Kindly help us to serve you better so that our Sikh friends who are located at distant places could get all the necessary items required by them...

FB page : www.facebook.com/puredashpunjabi

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Ahiyapuri ji welcome to spn. A possible answer to your question.
Ahiyapuri ji the translation of the above per Sikh Rehat Maryada English translation is as follows,
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->
ipRQm BgOqI ismir kY gur nwnk leIN iDAwie]
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
Having first thought of the Almighty's prowess, let us think of Guru Nanak.
http://sgpc.net/sikhism/sikh-dharma-manual.asp

Sat Sri Akal and hope above helps.

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
I believe that Guru Nanak Dev Ji maharaj was a hindu and so were his other family members specially Baba Sri Chand ji who adhered to udasin samparday of Hindu sant samaaj.
Did Guru ji worshipped Bhagwati Devi Durga/Chandi as she was worshipped by Dasam Patshahi Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji and it is believed that she blessed him with the sword.
Just curious
Guru Panth ka daas
Nirmal

For the name of God the creator People knew the various names in use in Hindu homes. Therefore Guru Nanak Dev ji used those names for God. Guru Nanak Dev ji rejected the Hindu way of worship and Hindu way of life. Read Asa Ji Di War and you will get the answer.
Pratham Bhagwati noun is used for God. Guru Sahib rejected Hindu gods and godesses. Hindus have 33 crores of gods and godesses. The Dasam Granth has been tampered with and as such not all the contents therein are authentic writings of Guru Gobind Singh ji nor accepted by he Guru Sahib as penned by his 52 poets.

May 24, 2008
Just curious
Guru Panth ka daas
Nirmal

Nirmal ji ,
It is actually a 114 years question , not a new one . I think you are just stirring the water nothing is going to come out of it . These answers were given by Bhai Kahan Singh Nabha ji about 114 years ago in 1898 in his book " HUM HINDU NAHIN" . Since 1898 not a single RSS diehard has been able to give answer to even a single line , word or arguement put up by Bhai Sahib . But since 1998 again since the ascent of BJP to power , these centuries old arguements have again been started put forward . Look for something new my friend . Also please for once on my insistence visit the following links :
http://www.searchsikhism.com/hinduism.html
http://www.searchsikhism.com/rss.html
http://www.searchsikhism.com/hind5.html
Do go through them if you find anything NEW to put forward , please do , your each & every doubt shall be cleared .

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
The 'pritham bhaguati simar ke...' is NOT a reference to durga devi or chandi devi, or the shakti as quoted by many texts, but it is a reference to 'Naam'
Durga cannot be of assitance of shakti for the sword as mentioned, because the gurmukh or sikh is a candidate of assistance from a much higher source.

Chandi, Durga or Devi has no importance in Gurmat. The whole idea of writing Krishnavtaar, Chandi di vaar and other such compositions is:

Dasam Katha Bhagaut kee Bhakhiya kari banaaye ||
Avar Baasna nahi Prabh, Dharamjudh ko chaaye ||

All these compositions are for "Dharam judh ko Chaaye" i.e. for the sake of Dharam Yudh, to instill Bir Rass in Sikhs. Nothing else. Guru Sahib's own words make it clear that the aim is Dharamjudh and not to praise these deities.

You may read Bhai Rhandir Singh's interpretations for more clarity.

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SSAKAL JI.

All words written by Guru GOBIND SINGH JI MAHARAJ ARE BEING INTERPRETED BY OUR SCOLARS DIFFRENTLY THAT THESE NAMES ARE EXSITING IN HINDU BELIEFS TODAY AND THEN ?

Please can any one try to shed more light with more more explanations to your above posted quotes.

Why Guru Gobindh Singh Ji mentioned names which are of dieties in HINDU relegion and were existing at that time.

DAS needs more knowldge to understand.

Thanks.

Jaspi

Last edited by a moderator:

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Hi people of the world :) my name is Pavneet Singh, and I have just signed up for these forums. i will be posting alot, as I am young and have many questions on my mind. hope you all can answer them :happymunda:

Welcome and have fun learning. Ask lots of questions and I'm sure you'll get lots of answers. Remember, none of us is an expert (although a few might believe they are lol).

welcomekaur welcomemunda

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Welcome Harpreet ji,
Hope you find what you are looking for here. Please take time to explore the wealth of the information on the site and participate in the various threads. Sikhi is a lifelong journey. Glad SPN is part of that! welcomekaur

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: