• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Welcome Jeos perhaps you can start a topical thread in the right section aband elaborate your thoughts. Specifically the following that I can think of,

To me its "simple": There is Ahura-Mazda (God-Allah-Yahvé) but there is Ariman too (Lucifer/Chaos) and the battle between both is a cosmic and titanic one.

Regards.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Warm regards,
Gurfateh!

Aman Singh
for SPN Administration

Hi all forum members. My name is Bob R and I'm looking for daily Hindu wisdom to enrich my life!!![/QUOTE]simon949 ji welcome. This is a Sikh forum primarily with sub-section on Hinduism. Perhaps you can clarify and ask in threads your questions and people may contribute. There are fundamental differences between Hinduism and Sikhism so you may need to clarify accordingly.

Regards.

Oct 29, 2010
I am more interested in Hinduism but I'm unfamiliar with Sikhism but it might be interestin to hear of both!!!
Simon949 Ji,
I add some basic information about the three religions, Sikhi, Christianity and Hinduism. Hope you find it of value.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Brief differences in Sikhi and Christianity
Sikhi started with Guru Nanak (born in 1469) and was perfected by nine subsequent Gurus – the last being Guru Gobind Singh. The ‘religion’ started at a very opportune time when the Hindu majority was under attack by the Brahmanic lack of direction and torturous Moslem rule. The last Guru created the present form of Sikhi and presented a Granth Sahib with all necessary teachings to keep to the track we believe leads to independent, peaceful, and spiritually profitable life.
Physical looks: a Sikh carries five Ks on his/her person - unshorn hair, a sword, a steel bangle, a comb, and special underwear that is considered acceptable with or without trousers. Sikh males wear a turban to protect the hair and women can wear a turban but majority wear a scarf to cover their hair.
Brief comparison of Sikhi and Christianity
Sikhi believes in ONE God unlike Trinity in Christianity.
The God is Truth, everywhere, infinite, Infallible, forgiving, has no fear, has no hatred, is not born, does not die, has no form, and cannot be explained.
Sikhs do not believe in Sin, Heaven, Hell, or religious sacrifices. Sikhs do not go along the statement “Christ sacrificed his life for the Sins of Humanity” Sikhs believe every person must play his/her part to be on the right side of the Lord God. (The right side is explained in detail and examples in the Sikh Holy Book Granth Sahib)
Sikhs do not believe in Devil, Angels or Miracles – God is present in us all (in fact in everything) and by conquering our weaknesses can awaken God inside us and be one with God Infinite.
Unlike in Christianity the world creation (was not created in seven days) was created by ‘One Word’ (may be akin to Big Bang theory) and can easily be destroyed similarly. Sikhi believes in hundreds of thousands of worlds, stars, and galaxies.
Sikhs, like Christians, believe in soul but Sikhs believe the soul is immortal i.e. that is the part that merges with the Infinite on death of a being.
The knowledge and teachings in Granth Sahib is considered to be “Sikh Guru” available to all who choose to follow it. It was written by the Gurus themselves unlike Scripture of other great religions.
Sikhs do not believe in abusing the human body by cutting hair or other parts like circumcision in case of Jews and Muslims.
Sikhs gather in places like Gurdwara which is socio-cultural gathering, exchange ideas, learn teachings of Granth Sahib and share food and generally practice unconditional Seva. Any person is allowed in these gatherings as long as they respect other people and their customs, are not under influence of drugs, respect the Granth Sahib, and food.
Men and women are considered equal and can carry out all the necessary duties related to Sikh religion.
Sikhi and Hindu Religion
Hinduism is a life system with very old roots. The knowledge is based on Vedas, Brahmanas, Aranyakas, Sutras, Simritis, Geeta and Puranas – later the Upanishads were added as interpretations and re-interpretation of above literature. If one asks a Hindu what is their religious Scripture – 90% have no idea what they are following and rest choose what ever suits them.
The information in these Scriptures relates to story of rulers of India about 4000 to 3000BC and is in the form of mythology. The Scriptures were written around 1000BC. There is no religious content in any of the scriptures (the general knowledge therein is accepted by all) that was worth adding into Sikh Granth Sahib. The Granth Sahib discusses that by the writings of the Gurus and other contributors both Hindu and Moslem.
However Hindus consider the ‘Vedas divine and their authority can not be questioned’. Followers of Vedas pray to numerous gods (330,000,000 or more) depending on what one desires of them. Sikhs believe in only One God and do not use pictures or other deities for prayers as do Hindus. Vedas suggest making offerings (Dakshana) to Brahmins and this is the way they make their living from ordinary people. There is some agreement on Creation between Sikh and Hindu philosophy.
For Vedas to be of spiritual value they should offer highest quality moral and religious standards. This is not the case and unlike Sikhi, in social context we find Vedas have mantras to harm others, full of conceits, quaint fancies, sexual orgies, contradictions, condone and encourage dowry system, preach elaborate sacrifices (not self sacrifice as in Sikhi), condone child marriages, treat woman as property or slaves, practice cast system, and magic etc. Non Hindus and Shudras are forbidden to read Vedas and Geeta and other Scriptures whereas the Sikh Granth Sahib is meant for all whether Sikh or not.
As one can see there are not many similarities between Hindu and Sikh Scriptures and beliefs.

SPN contains lots more information on these and other subjects and any specifics may be shared with members and visitors to the site.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Hi to all,

I'm new to Sikhi and being from New Zealand find it quite hard to find people to talk to about becoming a Sikh. What is my first step?

Malo aupito,
:)
Best wishes to all

Welcome, michaelulukaiu ji! welcomekaur welcomekaur

You've made a good first step coming here.

Becoming a Sikh is quite different from becoming a member of any other religion that I know of. It doesn't involve any sort of a ceremony or public conversion. Start with the definition of a Sikh feom the Sikh Codr of Conduct (Sikh Rehat Maryada - SRM):

The Definition of Sikh :

Article I
Any human being who faithfully believes in
i. One Immortal Being,
ii. Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak Sahib to Guru Gobind Singh Sahib,
iii. The Guru Granth Sahib,
iv. The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus and
v. the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion, is a Sikh

One idea is to learn enough so the definition makes sense to you. I am sure other members here will have suggestions for you. Please feel free to explore the whole site - it's quite large and ask anything you want to know. I'm sure many of us would be happy to answer you.

And have fun! It'd a happy journey, full of joy.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Hi to all,

I'm new to Sikhi and being from New Zealand find it quite hard to find people to talk to about becoming a Sikh. What is my first step?

Malo aupito,
:)
Best wishes to all

welcomekaurwelcomekaurwelcomekaurwelcomekaur
I lived in NZ for a couple of years and miss it immensely! I felt more at home there than anywhere else in the world! Such a beautiful country with wonderful people. Feel free to PM me with where in NZ you are based and I will try to put you in touch with local Sikhs as I still keep in touch with people out there. I also look forward to interacting with you on the forum icecreamkudi

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh :)

I am looking for online resources to perfect my Gurmukhi pronunciation and better learn to read. Suggestions are most welcome.

Also interested in discussing taking Amrit.

Many thanks. Peace to all.

Welcome DharamPal Kaur ji,
Here are some posts about amrit or khande di pahaul
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/search.php?searchid=138098

If you use the search button in the top left corner, you can find other threads of interest. Enjoy! cheerleader
welcomekaur

May 15, 2012
Gurfateh

My first post.

I landed on this forum trying to find litrature on the lives of our gurus. Like a biography. In english. But not shakesperean english. Hasn't anyone tried to write on our gurus for the common man. So that one finds it an interesting read. I hope I am not offending any one by saying that I want to read the lives of our gurus in a 'novel' 'best seller' format and not just 'thou shall not do onto thee' type. Hope some one is there who would be able to help me.

Oct 29, 2010
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Dear Michaelulukaiu,
One of the ways is to consider your journey as a mountain climb to the top and then choose your route. The top of the mountain is 'Unconditional love for the Lord, and his creation'.
Depending on your approach to life you will direct your questions and hope people will help you along.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
welcomemunda to all new members! Hope you enjoy your time here. Please take the time to look around and interact with others on the forum.

My personal opinion about sakhis related to the Guru's is they are misleading and irrelevant. I personally prefer to stick to the teachings!

mtnmangoccia

SPNer
Nov 27, 2011
Sat Sri Akaal. I am not a Sikh, however, I have been studying Sikhism for several years.

I appreciate the Gurus search for truth, the hospitality and helpfulness of Sikhs I have met around the world, and the positive contribution that Sikhs have made to their communities wherever they have settled.

I am looking forward to interacting and learning from everyone on SPN.

Rab rakha.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: