• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...
Aug 8, 2010
London
Thank you to everyone for your kind words.

Ive been doing Parth for just over a month now and I am absolutely loving it.

I even get a few tears in my eyes while reading and listening to it.

Hopefully this means I am truly trying to understand my faith from my heart and theres a new me somewhere on the horizon.

WOO HOO
cheeringmundacheeringmundacheeringmunda

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
New to this site and recently started doing am Nitnem and Rehiraas and Kirtan Sohela in the pm.

Ive given up drinking and meat and want to become a better Sikh and learn about my religion.

Any help + advice would be appreciated.

Go easy on me:thumbsupp::thumbsupp:
Vaheguru ji ka khalsa! Vaheguru ji ki fateh!!

Hi, Billy Singh ji!

Sure, we'll go easy on you. But first you need to start doing at least 3 hours of Naam-jap before breakfast and give up sleeping as well as meat and booze. :motherlylove: Not only that, but...icecreamkudi

Just joking, of course. We take you as we find you and are happy to have you on board. Relax and enjoy yourself. Almost all of us are here to learn in an accepting atmosphere. Feel free to ask about anything Sikh on your mind. You'll probably get a bunch of different opinions to choose from. (My answers are the best, though!whistlingkudi)

Welcome aboard! welcomekaurwelcomekaur

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Spades ji,

I am sure you will be able to offer a perspective that will be valuable to us all. I am sure you have a great deal to offer us. I, for one, would love to know what your history is. I left Sikhi for 20 years, although I never could become an atheist (I tried!). Please feel free to express yourself. As long as you are not antagonistic, I am sure our members will be most interested in hearing what you have to say.

I am sure...I am sure...I am sure...OK, this is not a literary masterpiece. It is from the heart and mind, though.

welcomekaurwelcomemundawelcomekaurwelcomemundawelcomekaurwelcomemundawelcomekaurwelcomemunda

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Welcome Spades ji

After reading the past few posts I am exhausted. But just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your willingness to own your own decision regarding Sikhism and God, instead of trying to make Sikhism or God fit the model of your preferred model of spirituality.

Hope that you find this forum worth the time spent reading and participating. Whenever you have qualms about that let me know, or any other member of the moderation team.

Welcome again,
Narayanjot Kaur

Last edited by a moderator:

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Dear Some of you jis here,

I am becoming annoyed. Please let Spades ji be as he is. We are all where we are on this journey of life. Spades ji has been honest with us about where he is. Perhaps it would serve everyone better if some of us would quit trying to convince him - in a most patronising way, I might add - that he really must come around to believing as some of the rest of us believe. The thread is for welcoming new members, not judging and trying to change them.

Forgive me for saying this, but it seems to me the same attitude of smug superiority that I see in my born-again, spirit-filled, Bible-thumping medical caregiver who can't comprehend how I cannot see the obvious truth of the Bible. . I know I am opening myself up to attack, but I really feel the need to ask some of you to please back off.

Sorry if this is offensive. I think it needs to be said.

simplethings

SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
Why am I here?

Well I am going through some tough times and I typed 'calm thoughts' in the search bar. Google lead me to a post of Soul_jyot's and I liked something he said about enjoying your awareness.

Anyway. I'm just looking for peace of mind and how to help others have peace of mind.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Why am I here?

Well I am going through some tough times and I typed 'calm thoughts' in the search bar. Google lead me to a post of Soul_jyot's and I liked something he said about enjoying your awareness.

Anyway. I'm just looking for peace of mind and how to help others have peace of mind.

Welcome! welcomekaurwelcomemunda

I hope we can help you find what you are looking for. Some of us here including myself have been through some difficult, even horrendous times and have managed to come out the other side. It's not easy, but it is do-able.

Please look around the site, read what interests you and contribute whatever you can. We are all learners here. Perhaps you would like to share about your tough times. Perhaps not. It's up to you.

Enjoy your stay here.

Chardi kala!

simplethings

SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
Welcome! welcomekaurwelcomemunda

I hope we can help you find what you are looking for. Some of us here including myself have been through some difficult, even horrendous times and have managed to come out the other side. It's not easy, but it is do-able.

Please look around the site, read what interests you and contribute whatever you can. We are all learners here. Perhaps you would like to share about your tough times. Perhaps not. It's up to you.

Enjoy your stay here.

Chardi kala!

Thank you for the welcome and the optimism, Mai Harinder Kaur!

I don't think I will go into the details at all. But it is really nice to know that you care to listen. :D

What does Chardi Kala mean?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
simplethings ji

Welcome to SPN. There is a striking beauty to your introduction - looking for some peace and finding it because of an article by one of our trusted members, Soul_jyot ji.

Nothing really could tell us better that we are reaching out in positive ways. Please find what it is you need in life. Let the universe know. It will be great on our end to know that SPN was able to help you in some small ways to find your way and reach your destination.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Thank you for the welcome and the optimism, Mai Harinder Kaur!

I don't think I will go into the details at all. But it is really nice to know that you care to listen. :D

What does Chardi Kala mean?

Ohhhh, one of my favourite questions! Chardi kala is a Punjabi phrase that literally means, high spirits. I means that you remain cheerful and optimistic no matter what happens. It is a distinctively Sikh virtue and actually a lot of fun learning to develop.

Here's what my Dad, a very wise man, used to say:

When your enemy has you flat on your back, his boot on you face, his gun {censored}ed at your temple and his knife at your throat, you laugh at him. "Ha, you can kill me, but you can't defeat me!" That's chardi kala.
There's a whole lot more to it. Please go read this article. Chardi kala. It explains it really well.

Here is the beginning.
Chardi Kala is an important expression used in Sikhism for a mind frame that a Sikh has to accept and practise. It loosely means a “positive, buoyant and optimistic” attitude to life and the future. Always be – in "high spirits", "ever progressive", "always cheerful", etc are some other terms used to describe this phrase. It reflects an eternally evergreen & blissful mental state of a Sikh.
Feel free to share as little or as much as you wish, privately or in the forum.

Remain in chardi kala! (Ice cream helps.) icecreammundaicecreamkudi

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

My name is Jasleen. I've lived in 4 countries and worked in 5 in healthcare! The more I learn about Sikhism the more I love it. I've read a lot of random posts on SPN over time but thought I could learn more by signing up and joining in. I crave sangat, especially after moving to an area where I don't get much interaction about Sikhism on an intellectual level. There is so much more to learn and implement so now I'm trying to connect with sangat electronically!!
I look forward to chardi kala ice cream ;)

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Vaheguru ji ka khalsa! Vaheguru ji ki fateh!!

The most important thing first. Some chardi kala ice cream. As I don't know whether you are Singh or Kaur, here are both: icecreamkudiicecreammundaicecreamkaur

(I'm still working on the adult Singh. His beard makes it a bit hard to animate nicely.)

Electronic sangat isn't the same as physical darshan, but it's not a bad substitute. I am "disabled" and going to the physical gurudwara is very difficult, even painful for me, so I get most of my sangat right here online. SPN is sort of like my home gurudwara online. Very good people here. I'm glad you chose to join in actively.

(Mango lassi works almost as well as ice cream, and ginger tea in cold weather.)

Oh, yeah, just so I don't forget, welcome!

welcomekaurwelcomemundawelcomekaurwelcomemunda

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM