• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Serena ji,

Guru fateh.

What a peaceful name!

This forum as you put it," provides a lot of knowledge of Sikhi and Sikhism" because of its members. Now as you have become its member, please pitch in, ask questions, read past threads, interact and converse.

I am sure you will have a blast.

Welcome!

Tejwant Singh

May 24, 2008
Kunwar Ji ,
I hope you mean the First Pauri of JAPUJI SAHIB . Kindly go the following link .
PAGE 1 - Punjabi Translation of Siri Guru Granth Sahib (Sri Guru Granth Darpan).

This is the best meaning / translation of Japuji Sahib IMHO . Also I may suggest you that for any meaning of any Shabad , Shalok , Astpadi etc of Sri Guru Granth Sahib you can directly refer to Guru Granth Darpan on the link mentioned . It is the most exact translation of SGGS to date because it is based upon the principle of Gurbani Grammer laid down by our Gurus & agreed upon by 99.99% of Sikh scholars .

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Kunwar ji :welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

My day brightens when I read words as you have written. Wonderful thoughts and a wonderful aim!

Please use this forum as a place of learning -- and of course a place to wander into books, kirtan, and even lively discussion.

I don't know if you can read the shabad in Punjabi. You did not say. If you need assistance with English translations, please let us know. We can help with that.

Narayanjot Kaur

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
swati j

To you as well, :welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

We are glad to make your acquaintance -- all of us here. There are many members who would love to have discussions with you. I hope that you will find the hours you spend here worth your while. Enjoy all of the nooks and crannies of this forum. Participate in our many discussions.

Welcome and welcome again,
Narayanjot Kaur

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh
i am swati sachdeva and m 16 well m a hindu-punjabi but a want to become a sikh n i really luv ths religion....:happykudi:
n wud soon become a sikhni......so wud luv to knw more n more abt sikhism....thnx

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa! Vaheguru ji ki fateh!

Swati ji,
:welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

Welcome and be happy. SPN is a place to learn and enjoy. Please ask questions and post. Sixteen is an age of reaching out and seeking. Guru ji will guide you to where you are going.

:geekkaur:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
swati ji

Your question is touching in its total honesty and simplicity. Start reading Sri Guru Granth Sahib, and begin to mingle with Sikhs in real life and here at the forum. Give yourself some time to form your own idea of how to do that. The reason I say this, there is no one single recipe as it is not like making a perfect loaf of bread. And you know there are many ways to do that too! It works best if you consider many things, and come up with your own sense of the process. Then ask questions. Never be afraid to ask questions.

I am going to start a thread right now about your question so that forum members can themselves speak from their personal experiences.

:happykaur:

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
thanku so much it was really sweet of u...can u tell me wat all i am supposed to do to become a sikhni???thanx

We have members who have been through the whole process and they really should answer this, but I have a few thoughts.

First, check out the definition of a Sikh in the
SRM.
[SIZE=-1]
The Definition of Sikh :

Article I
Any human being who faithfully believes in
i. One Immortal Being,
ii. Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak Sahib to Guru Gobind Singh Sahib,
iii. The Guru Granth Sahib,
iv. The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus and
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] v. the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion, is a Sikh

Personally, I think that definition is lacking because it talks only of belief and not of actually doing anything.
[/SIZE]

There is both and inner process and an outer process. First, learn (memorise the Mool Mantar, if you haven't already. I would suggest that - working on the inside - you study Shri Guru Granth Sahib ji, do nitnem (starting probably with Sohila, the nighttime prayer which is short and sweet), listen to bani online, here or at YouTube.

Then, the outward stuff, which I think can be really fun. Leave all your hairs intact, every last one of them! Then get a kara and never take it off. Get in the habit of going to the gurudwara...

To me, everything is geared toward becoming amritdhari, or at least moving in that direction.

That's enough for a start.

:blinkingkudi:

It is my belief that only you can say whether you are a Singhni or not.

:ice:

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh
i am swati sachdeva and m 16 well m a hindu-punjabi but a want to become a sikh n i really luv ths religion....:happykudi:
n wud soon become a sikhni......so wud luv to knw more n more abt sikhism....thnx

Dear Swati

You are Only 16 and you are from India so please don't mind but would you please tell about yourself more? so people could help you in better way

1) Have you told about your decision about converting to sikhism to your parents? What is their reaction? do they agree with it?

2)What type of sikh Girl you want to become? Sehajdhari ,Like just going to Gurdwara reading Gurbani etc

Keshdhari .Where you will not cut your hair and change your name that ends with kaur

or Amritdhari in which you will take Amrit and keep full rehat

swati

SPNer
May 21, 2010
INDIA
Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh
Thanku so much narayanjot kaur ji,i really appreciate all dis....
well,the qstn of abt mingling wid the sikhs i pretty much do dat bcz many of my relatives r sikh and also wen i go to the Gurdwara i almost everyday do have a conversation wid the bhai ji's over there abt sewa or smthng else...n m really greatful to u fr ur all ur suggestions n for strtng ths thread really...frm the bottom of my heart i thank u.....

swati

SPNer
May 21, 2010
INDIA
Kanwardeep singh ji,
about my parents agreeing to it, they would never have any problem in it, because almost all relatives from my father's side are sikh,i mean my dadi's family was a sikh family,but as she got married into a mona family all of us are mona's..wen i was young my father never wanted me to go for a haircut but obviously at that time i was too stupid to understand the importance of my hairs...n today wen i know how much our Gurus have struggled to keep their hairs for the sake the religion i feel that i have been unjust,so my parents would not have any problem....
and for your second qstn i dont really know what i am going to become and what not but i will go as far as i can...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Kanwardeep singh ji,
about my parents agreeing to it, they would never have any problem in it, because almost all relatives from my father's side are sikh,i mean my dadi's family was a sikh family,but as she got married into a mona family all of us are mona's..wen i was young my father never wanted me to go for a haircut but obviously at that time i was too stupid to understand the importance of my hairs...n today wen i know how much our Gurus have struggled to keep their hairs for the sake the religion i feel that i have been unjust,so my parents would not have any problem....
and for your second qstn i dont really know what i am going to become and what not but i will go as far as i can...

swat ji

I enjoyed reading your answer very much. You probably know already that having Hindus and Sikhs within one family is a pattern that stretches back into the times of our Gurus. It was true that at the time of Guru Hargobind, one son and usually the oldest son, was dedicated to Sikhi by Hindu families. That is a fascinating story on its own to be told elsewhere.

In my own experience the intermingling of faiths is a reality. My husband has 3 business partners, all brothers and 2 of them still residing in India in Dehli and in Punjab. The family was Sikh on the mothers side and Hindu on the father's side. I love their family story and always have them feed me with more details each time we meet. The mother and father now worship at a mandir near to their home in Exton PA. But they sometimes went to Gurdwara when they were younger and could travel better by automobile. One son in India and his wife are Sikhs. I met both of their sons 3 weeks ago for the first time. They are Sikhs, and are now living with their chacha, the youngest brother, who is a Hindu. Third brother and his family are Hindus. All Sikhs in this family are mona, but all wear karas and all are deeply versed in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Maharaj.

This to me only strengthens the belief that goodness resides within the individual and many are able to put aside enmity and allow whatever lotus it is that is blooming within you to flourish.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Kanwardeep singh ji,

I want to make just a quick comment.

You were NOT TOO STUPID to understand about the importance of your hairs, you simply didn't know. In other words you were ignorant of this. It is far better to be ignorant than stupid. Ignorance is a lack of information, a lack of knowledge which is cured by learning. Stupidity is the lack of ability to learn which, sadly, is incurable.

So...you are not stupid and never were:thinkingkudi:. Like all the rest of us, you are learning! :geekkaur:

I think watching you grow will be fun and educational for all of us! :veryhappykudi:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM