• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...
Hello!

I decided to join to better learn about Sikhism. I've did some research in the past, but never really got deep into the studies. I find it to be a beautiful faith and one that might be the right one for me.

Recently, after some time to learning (off and on for 2 years), I converted to Islam. I thought it was the faith for me and at the time, everything was great (I was learning salat, fasting, trying to incorporate Sunnah into my life, etc)...but as I continued to learn more (about the Qur'an, Muhammad, Hadith, etc) I found myself unable to continue calling myself a Muslim. I was only a Muslim for six months, but this left me rather depressed and I felt like I was a failure or that God didn't want me or something like that. I've sort of distanced myself from God since then, but I don't want to anymore. The things I loved about Islam, I can see in Sikhism (devotion, God)...In fact many aspects of Sikhism I already believe (which is why I could no longer be a Muslim, beliefs in reincarnation and the like**), which is why I'm looking into it more. :)

**I actually believed in reincarnation my whole life, but when I was looking into Islam, I thought my love for God and the faith (as I knew it at the time) would allow me to accept the Islamic view of the afterlife...which didn't happen, as I couldn't believe in it, no matter how hard I tried.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
SeekingTheLight ji

Welcome to SPN. This is the sentence that stood out for me in your introduction.

I was only a Muslim for six months, but this left me rather depressed and I felt like I was a failure or that God didn't want me or something like that.

The gift of Sikhi is what has helped many overcome this feeling of failure -- a feeling that is a starting place for many religions, not only Islam.

Please join us here at SPN knowing that we are trying to be better people through interaction and discussion. Enly your stay.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Seeking the Light ji,

I suppose in some sense we could all consider ourselves failures since none of us is perfect as we would like to be. I prefer to come from the other direction, however, and note that I am making the attempt to be what I am, to attain "truthful living." Please look further into the Sikh virtue of Chardi kala. :veryhappykudi:

God by whatever name (GBWN) not only wants you, the light of GBWN lives in you. We are all on this journey, all of us at different places. Finding what "truthful living" is to you may take some experimentation. No experiment is a failure if you learn something of value. You have learned you cannot be a Muslim. Perhaps you can be a Sikh. Perhaps not. Look around, educate yourself and enjoy the journey. Whatever is your truth, you are among friends here.

:welcome:

:ice:

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
SeekingtheLight ji
I was raised Catholic - by mixed Protestant/Catholic parents, who really just 'pretended' to satisfy my Fathers Mother, and so that we (4 sibs) could go to the 'better than those on a Military Base' Jesuit-run Schools - but then 'took shelter' (in The Buddha, The Dharma, and The Sangha) in 1981 (I was 16 or 17); so I know what it's like to find oneself at a loss when trying to Justify ones own inate feelings about religion, and the beliefs of the Religion one finds oneself practicing at the time that these doubts first begin to seriously trouble you.
I also have a basic admiration for Islam - especially the Suf; so I can understand the attraction you felt for it, just as much as I can understand you leaving it all behind because it lacks, in it's teachings, certain Important Things - like Reincarnation.
All that's "Dharma" to me - but then, not to be immodest, I "FOUND" the Light one day in 1991; and it revealled to me the Fact that the changes I'd made so far - Catholicsim-to-Buddhism - were All Good; as it thought, like I do, that there's simply to much Blood on the Cross for it - or the Religion that adopted this Torture-Death Device as it's emblem (Is that, do you think, WJWD? I think he'd FREAK OUT at the very notion, myself!) - to be 'Dharma' anymore; though I do see, before all the Heresies, and the Heretics who practiced them, were killed off by the Imperial version of 'The Church'; the Resurection of Christ as containing a lesson on Reincarnation - trying to tell that to a Modern "Christian", is like pulling a Lions Teeth!
I think that all beliefs, at one time or another, were Inspired by the One True God; that they've all, to one degree or another, strayed from the Eightfold Path - in Doctrine, and Practice; that this has happened because Politicians, Emperors, and Kings Ordained these changes to be so; and that this is why, in some traditions, God forbade his 'children' to assigen to Him a Name - as that is what's led to so much Envious Coveting and Deadly War in the name of (fill in the blank with whatever 'God' whose commands your disobeying, to fulfill your entirely Mortal Agenda - in 'IT'S NAME' of course; so you can sleep better at night, eh? It's like the Tooth Fairy, you see.)
Anyhoo....I digress, somewhat; this is, after all, just the 'Hello Page'.
I know you'll find what you're looking for here; the Sikhi are just what you think they are (even if their often to Proud to want to admit it), a 'blend' of all the Best of some of the Best, most True to God Faiths in existence.
I'm still a Buddhist, but sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be a 'King' (Singh) and to marry a Princess (Kaur); though now is NOT a good time to be making such an Important Decision.
One more thing; I got interested in Sikhism through a book called, 'An Introduction to Sikhism', which, through quoting the more pertinent and revealing parts of the Guru Granth Sahib, lays out Guru Nanaks Beautiful Vision nicely.ikonkaar

charanjit

SPNer
Jan 15, 2008
Dear Seeking The Light,

Don't bother you will not find what you are looking for, or you may convince yourself that you have found what you are looking for. Perhaps the first question that you should ask is why are you seeking anything?

Is it because that you are empty? And that you are looking for something to guide your life? That you are looking for security? For a community where you can be accepted, with which you have a common ground and can get together and share the culture the celebrations the relationships?

Is it that Islam did not fulfil your expectations? And then you have become disillusioned with Islam and then have starting to look for something else to satsify you? And when Sikhism does not satisfy you, you will then either continue to submit thinking you are doing the right thing, or you will move on to another religion/guru/belief which you find satisfying.

In this case you will never be satisfied. I would suggest that this discontent is a good thing. And that when you are discontent, you may search out for the truth for yourself, rather than guided by another, for when you are guided by another the truth that you find, will be a version of the truth as dicated and found by the teacher or the guide. If you are happy to settle with this, then this is the place for you. If you are still discontent then find the truth for yourself.

Fortunately I too am discontent, however the discontent does not run through may veins like a gushing river, for if that was the case I would not be satisfied with the menial things that pique my interest every now and again.

Nonetheless all the best. I hope that Sikhism and the Sikhs keep you entertained as much as possible and then the discontent sets in stronger than ever, that you may shed the bondage of contradiction and our limited understanding to find the truth for yourself. I hope that you will likewise bless me with this curse and blessing.....

Adieu....Charanjit

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
Charanjit ji
If I were a psychologist, I'd say you're having a Depressive Episode; the above is very dour, very dark, very snide and sarcastic though, in a way, also admirably True and very, very direct and to the point.
The fact is, this IS an Imperfact Realm; it's a Classroom, in which we must learn to overcome - to deny - these darkening inpulses, to become more Noble then them, for they destroy rather than create; and if you want your next Incarnation to be a Higher One - one in which YOU are a Formless, Demi-Deity-like Being with all of the capabilites that such a state of existence entails - then you'll have to learn to overcome such feelings and avoid the Actions they inspire.
That's the Price of Admission - unless you want to be a Rikshakthra.
Finally; You're also right to say 'this curse and blessing', for achieving the Enlightenment that SeekingtheLight ji desires to find in THIS Realm, is just that; a Curse and a Blessing.
Thank you for the 'shot of reality'; sometimes it's Good to hear such things.

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
Charanjit ji
yes, I understand; they say that Hitlers Concentration Camp victims (some of them my relatives) smiled and sang songs as they were being herded into the gas chambers; sometimes it's either 'Grin, and Bear it' - or grab a machine gun, and.....you get the idea.
I wish more people realized that, we wouldn't have any more '9/11s' if they did so; so we should welcome all the SeekingtheLights who are willing to listen to our Peacenik Prattle.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Charanjit ji
yes, I understand; they say that Hitlers Concentration Camp victims (some of them my relatives) smiled and sang songs as they were being herded into the gas chambers; sometimes it's either 'Grin, and Bear it' - or grab a machine gun, and.....you get the idea.
I wish more people realized that, we wouldn't have any more '9/11s' if they did so; so we should welcome all the SeekingtheLights who are willing to listen to our Peacenik Prattle.

This reminds me of us singing "We Are The Champions" in Delhi, waiting for the thugs who were coming to kill us. But we didn't just sing; we prepared and when we were attacked, we did "keep on fighting till the end." :swordfight:

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
Mai Harinder Kaur ji
Haven't heard from you in a while, my friend; though I see you 'thanked' me for one of my decantations - on Love, and Living Together, I think.
I can never know how you felt, in those days - only hope that you, and your fellows, will some day come to forgive those who wronged you; and, as well, to do your best to prevent the types of things that led the IndiaN Army to 'Blue Star' - that is, IF they were really doing things like hiding weapons in The Golden Temple Complex, and IF that was NOT just propaganda that the 'other side' made up, to cover their butts.
Reporters Sans Frontiers is - more or less - ambiguous; and I was not there.
Still, the Bravery - and willingness to fight for your rights to exist as you chose to do so; your right to have equal say in the governing of your communities affairs - is Noble; which, having sudied History in general, and that of the Raj, the promised Sikhistan, etc., I say with not a little knowing what I'm talking about.
It would, however, be better for ALL the People of our Lovely Planet, if we came together as 'One Tribe, on just One World'; or were all going to choke to death, when Oceanic Acidulation finally kills off all of the remaining Chloroplankton, leaving us - what, with all the Rainforests being cut down, too - with NO Oxygen supply.
And that's just ONE reason I'd say it's better to get along, than fight for your 'right' to plant a Flag atop a Pile Of Rubble.
War has a very large a Carbon Footprint, you know; and my own Country has sinned that sin greatly, both before and after 9/11.
As you know, I've been dodging Thugs myself these last few years - some of them emboldened by my failure to HATE THEM as much a a 'Real American MAN' should (though I'm a Veteran Son of a Veteran; and wager I know more of these things than those 'arm chair generals' do); but mostly by Racism of the White Supremacist kind, and I'm AGAINST THAT - and have made my point many times, leaving THEM Stinging for the effort.
During 'Bush 2' (according to them) they'd found 'an administration' that 'saw things more their way', you see; so we do have something in common, there; though I can never know how YOU feel, Mai Harinder Kaur ji.
Peacemakers ARE the REAL Champions, jios.ikonkaar

kulbirs

SPNer
Apr 26, 2010
Waheguru ji Ka Khalsa
Whaeguru ji Ki Fetah

Thank you SPN.

I hope I will able to learn a lot from you and contribute a lot too.

I am an Assistant Professor in Finance working in one of the Top 20 Business School in India.
I great grandfather was a saint (mahant) as well my great grand father (maternal) was a saint too (udansin sadhu). I have learnt a lot about sikhism and its philosophy both my parents as well as from many intellectuals through books, magazines, journals, website - discussion forums, and my peers and elders.
So, you will hear a lot from me on many philosophical agenda in avery different ways, perhaps you may not have lot of or thought of, or must have struck in mind, but never thought of discussing it.
So, let's do it and learn the truth that our Guru Sahiban has taught us in Shabad Guru - the true Guru of Sikhism - as enshrined in Guru Granth Sahib or Adi Guru Granth Sahib.

:geeksingh:Gur Fetah.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
kulbir ji

I welcome you, as do all of the SPN community. Please find the forum a place to spend a few hours a week participating in some exciting discussions, and making use of our many varied resources.

Don't forget to start threads. Don't forget we welcome your point of view.

Sep 27, 2008
England
Hello everyone on SPN, i am 40 was born and live in England, i work at Argos (Retail & Distribution).The Gurbani and Shaabads on SPN are very good as i listen to them everytime i visit this site. The topics and news are interesting too as it is my culture along with world affairs. I have learned quiet a lot since i have been visiting this site. Thankyou to you all hope to see you on the forums. btw i play the Tabla as it is my main hobby.

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
ugsbay ji

I have noticed you have been posting recently and come on line for visits. Let me take a little time to say how much we all appreciate that you do it. Welcome to SPN. The more perspectives we add to the mix, the better this forum can be.

Continue to enjoy our videos and kirtaan. Continue to participate. :welcome::welcome::welcome: and Thank you.

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
S.S.AKAL JI

Wonderful thoughts is written by you with great inheritance of Sikhism from your background of family member well connected to Gurbani..

GURBANI IS OUT OF QUESTION TO BE DISCUSSED BY ANY ONE . BUT ONE CANE EXPLAIN THE MEANINGS AS MUCH ONE IS BLESSED WITH WISDOM.

Sikh Philosophy web sight is a plate form where every one can share their views to improve awareness of Sikh philosophy and spread universal understandings of oneness and practical daily living..

Any kinds of ego if still exist in any person who has a faith in Sikhism, needs to improve his life style with the help of Gurbani.

Post was being debated about Babu Man song which has been totally distorted to suit ones own attitude.

The matter of the previous post is not about the Audi car but to put LIGHT on the top makes one person special status to be a Sikh preachers.

Our Gurus even used numbers to identifies them self like Mohala 1,2,3,4,5,6 and have no title attached to their names. Considered themselves Neecho ke Neech even KOOKER to Wahegur and used word like Bhai, Bhagats.

I personally cite Babu Man a true Sikh who dared to make his views known to all Punjabi to make every body aware of sudden rise in several BABA to mislead the illiterate villagers ,women for their personal gains.

Every one has witnessed the out come from these self made BABAS belittling BABU MAN and shown so much anger and ego as a Sikh preachers.

Nimrata is #1 quality in SAINT or MAHA PURKH where people older than his father touching this guy's feet and being blessed by him while he is on mobile phone chatting.

On the side there is Guru Granth Sahib ji Viraj Man hen.

babu Man's song will certainly bring more JAGRATI in future.

Jaspi

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
S.S.AKAL JI

KULBIR JI.

Wonderful thoughts is written by you with great inheritance of Sikhism from your background of family member well connected to Gurbani..

GURBANI IS OUT OF QUESTION TO BE DISCUSSED BY ANY ONE . BUT ONE CANE EXPLAIN THE MEANINGS AS MUCH ONE IS BLESSED WITH WISDOM.

Sikh Philosophy web sight is a plate form where every one can share their views to improve awareness of Sikh philosophy and spread universal understandings of oneness and practical daily living..

Any kinds of ego if still exist in any person who has a faith in Sikhism, needs to improve his life style with the help of Gurbani.

Post was being debated about Babu Man song which has been totally distorted to suit ones own attitude.

The matter of the previous post is not about the Audi car but to put LIGHT on the top makes one person special status to be a Sikh preachers.

Our Gurus even used numbers to identifies them self like Mohala 1,2,3,4,5,6 and have no title attached to their names. Considered themselves Neecho ke Neech even KOOKER to Wahegur and used word like Bhai, Bhagats.

I personally cite Babu Man a true Sikh who dared to make his views known to all Punjabi to make every body aware of sudden rise in several BABA to mislead the illiterate villagers ,women for their personal gains.

Every one has witnessed the out come from these self made BABAS belittling BABU MAN and shown so much anger and ego as a Sikh preachers.

Nimrata is #1 quality in SAINT or MAHA PURKH where people older than his father touching this guy's feet and being blessed by him while he is on mobile phone chatting.

On the side there is Guru Granth Sahib ji Viraj Man hen.

Babu Man's song will certainly bring more JAGRATI in future.

Jaspi[/QUOTE]

kulbirs

SPNer
Apr 26, 2010
Dear Jaspi:

WKWF

Discussing Gurbani - Shabad Guru means discussing its interpretation, its philosophical meaning (again which philosophical perspective, I will discuss later), its relation to the stages of man's life (what stages, we will discuss later), its significance to certain way of our living with oneself, with family, with society, with nature and universe, has to be understood.

Objective is clear, to discuss with one and all, with diverse minds, idiosyncrasies, cultural set-ups, level of education, and diverse professions; the real understanding/interpretation of Shabad Guru and its application to the 'kalyug' person, as envisaged by our Ten Masters.
Always remember, Sikh faith is a very simple and meant for space age human beings.

Gur Fateh
:geeksingh:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: