• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Welcome Setorah ji

SPN is growing and continually looking for resources for a broad-based membership. I hope you return many times and participate in many ways. Thank you for joining SPN and hope to see you on the threads. :welcome:

Vicki

SPNer
Jul 4, 2009
Hello...I was asked to introduce myself, and it seems this is the way to do it. I've known a few Sikhs over the years, but never talked religion. What little I've heard sounds like this might be my group, though, so I thought I'd see what I might find out here.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Sat sri akaal and welcome!:welcome::welcome:

Here you will find Sikhs - and others - who love to talk about Sikhi. In fact, you'll find we just don't shut up! Feel free to ask questions. (The only really stupid question I've been asked is: "Do you guys ever wash your hair? " I answered, politely, "Yes, and often.")

We need more people to understand who we are and what we stand for.

Chardi kala!

Mai

Vicki

SPNer
Jul 4, 2009
Hello Mai! I see from your profile that we are almost the same age. You beat me to earth by only a week. ;-)

I was actually raised in a hair-covering tradition, for women at least. I really wish I'd stuck with that on bad hair days...of which I have far too many.

d.vicki

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Hello again, Vicki ji -

So we are contemporaries! Hurray! I often feel like the old lady of the Internet. ("Mai" in Punjabi is an old, old woman and few modern women would have the guts to call themselves that. It's my nickname after Mai Bhago - Mata Bhag Kaur - a Sikh hero-princess from the days of Guru Gobind Singh.)

As far as hair-covering goes, I think Sikhi is the only religion that is actually more strict for men than women. (The Sikh Rehat Maryada says men must cover their hair with a turban; the turban is optional - but beautiful - for women. Of course, not every Sikh - either Singh or Kaur - follows the rules.) ) Even for women who don't cover their hair (although they should!) with long hair a neat Sikh bun usually precludes bad-hair days. Most of my lovely waist-length hair broke off after a difibrilator zapped electricity through my body three years ago. It is just now beginning to grow back properly, and I really miss having all that hair to throw around!

I do tend to ramble on; I think that's my reputation.

If I may ask, which hair-covering tradition were you raised in? It doesn't matter; I'm just curious.

Chardi kala!

Mai

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Hello...I was asked to introduce myself, and it seems this is the way to do it. I've known a few Sikhs over the years, but never talked religion. What little I've heard sounds like this might be my group, though, so I thought I'd see what I might find out here.

vicki ji

It is good to meet you. My beginnings were almost exactly the same. Now I am here on a forum that has taught me a lot. I hope that stay the distance with us and post frequently. Sat Nam,

:welcome:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Vicky,

Guru Fateh.

Any path we take in life is for the discovery of the self. I hope the path through this forum will be an enchantment. So please do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have.

Welcome to Sikh Philosophy.

Tejwant Singh

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
A most worthy undertaking. You can learn a lot about Sikhi here. It's a great way of life, not easy, but what worthwhile is?

Welcome, ROTRGE!:welcome:

Ask lots of questions, keep your mind as open as possible and enjoy yourself here. We're really a pretty good bunch, all told.

I really kind of doubt you'll learn much about Judaism here, but who knows? My Dad was a devout Sikh all his life and his best friend was a Conservative rabbi, so I'm pretty conversant with that religion.

Chardi kala! (A Punjabi phrase worth incorporating into anyone's vocabulary.)

Mai

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Welcome rotrge ji :welcome:

I second what Mai has said above. You can learn a lot here. You can meet some very interesting, sincere and helpful people. I have never regretted it.

So please make yourself at home at SPN. Enjoy the conversation. Find the thoughts, readings and discussions that will help you fight those battles and grow into your true self.

Narayanjot Kaur

rotrge

SPNer
Jun 19, 2008
Sat sri akal

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I came very close to becoming Jewish but my problem lies not in the religion, but in the holy book of Judaism. So that is the long and short of it. Again Thanks

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
As I said, I have some knowledge of the Jewish religion. I have, in fact, read the whole of the Hebrew Holy Scriptures. These scriptures are primarily history and rules, with some poetry. Our holy "book," Sri Guru Granth Sahib, our eternal Guru ji, is different. It is neither a history book nor a rule book. It is pure poetry, drawn from many different sources, Sikhs, Muslims and Hindus. It is our guide to finding our way back to Akaal Purakh (God). :wah:Others may have other descriptions, at least as accurate.

The very first line is a sort of summary of the whole Sikh faith, called The Mool (Root) Mantar. I would suggest that you read that as an introduction to the Sikh view of the One Eternal. (One can spend a lifetime on this one sentence, and you don't need to get bogged down at first.)

So much more could be said, but I'll leave to others, and leave it to you to discover for yourself.

I must admit that I envy you a bit, at the beginning of this voyage of discovery. May you be blessed in this search and follow wherever it leads you. If it leads you to Sikhi, great! If it leads you to some other path, great! As long as it leads you somewhere.

Chardi kala!

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Hey all,
I am looking into sikhism and judaism, so i am trying to resolve the spiritual war within.:eek:

Rotrge ji,

All of us want inner solace and spend our lives finding ways to know how to have this inner peace.

In order to find this serenity within, pragmatism is required because dogmas teach us haves and have nots whereas pragmatism teaches us wills and will nots. Sikhi is bases on that.

So, please do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have. Your questions will teach us a lot about ourselves as well.

Welcome to Sikh Philosophy.

Tejwant Singh

Vicki

SPNer
Jul 4, 2009
Mai,
Whew! I'm having quite a time navigating this bulletin board. But, now that I'm back on, the conversation seems to have gone on to other things.

Just to satisfy your curiosity, the hair covering was conservative evangelical thing. (i.e. too conservative to join up with the Baptists, although at that time we did call ourselves Baptist. Now just called a "community" church and is a wonderfully diverse congregation that tolerates all sorts of worship traditions...all Christian, of course, but there's room for a yogini like me to feel right at home.) The grown women weren't terribly concerned, but there was a group of us young radicals who wanted to embrace the whole shebang...and balance it with 1970's feminism at the same time. Not really an easy trick, and most of us outgrew it.

vicki d.

kulshona

SPNer
Jul 11, 2009
WKWF, aman ji. I am kulshona from Malaysia. I just found this site
and it is awesome. I would like to know about our guru's life stories
and bhagats life journeys. Would appreciate if anyone can help and assist
me on this. Thank you.:)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
kulshona ji

Iti s wonderful to meet you. Welcome to SPN :welcome:! And I am so happy that find this site to be awesome! Make yourself comfortable here and enjoy all of the resources that we have -- from photo albums to networking to downloads to Gurbani to great discussions and the opportunity to teach and learn, as we do from one another.

The Malaysian contingent seems to be getting larger! :ice:

Regards,
Narayanjot Kaur

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: