• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Need For New Sikh Organizations

badmash

SPNer
Jan 25, 2007
Sat Sri Akal!

While we all talk and discuss the various philosophical, religious, ethical and moral issues surrounding Sikhism today, it strikes me that there is no place better than forums such as these to amass larger groups of educated, literate sikhs to formulate strategies to educate, research and empower sikhs and sikhism today. While I am a proverbial small fry, what do people think? If groups like this and other large Sikh internet based groups (e.g. Sikhnet and Saldef in USA) were to try to engage each other to create "Supersites" or other Umbrella organizations encompassing many different and diasporatic sikh organizations, the combined efforts of sikhs in such an organization could potentially be very significant. Sikhs are so separated, as I sit here writing from the American midwest, with a small but growing population of Sikhs and punjabis. There are much larger groups of sikhs in canada, american east and west coasts, and of course the UK. But what seems to be missing is an organization of the more educated among us to counteract the negative influences of the divides in our community with respect to the first and second (and third and even fourth) generation immigrants, the language barriers, and just plain old obvious cultural barriers between each generation.

So what do people think can be done, if anything? Or will the majority of us merely talk the talk, but not walk the walk of meeting the challenges which modern sikhs face as their younger generations become more indifferent, more ignorant, and more unable to respect the majesty of tradition we have.

sincerely<br /><br />
----------------------------------------<br />

----------------------------------------<br />

MKAUR1981

SPNer
Aug 24, 2006
WJKK WJKF

This does seem like a good idea. I am learning the Guru Granth Sahib by various books, but this site gives me the answers to the social aspects of Sikhism.

But what seems to be missing is an organization of the more educated among us to counteract the negative influences of the divides in our community with respect to the first and second (and third and even fourth) generation immigrants, the language barriers, and just plain old obvious cultural barriers between each generation.

However, the only problem I feel with this is the difference of views. Eg the meat debate. Sikhism is so divided in views. We need to ensure that people are giving views from the Guru Granth Sahib not their own personal opinions.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
A very good idea Badmash. Lately I've ben feeling the only way out of the quagmire is to raise strong brave Sikhs. If enough of us can do this we can rejuvenate the panth from within.

Open mindedness towards each other is required by us all and not the usual one upmanship. A real sense of belonging and love should permeate the Sikh community encompassing all segments i.e. amritdharis, monay, Sikh converts.

The role of the family i.e. how we raise our children is essential for success here but if we Panjab Sikhs continue to do dumb stuff like brainwash our children with caste identities I can't see it happening myself.

Given the dispersed nature of the community in the west technology such as the Internet would play a central role in this.

We need to achieve a common positive understanding in the midst of all the diversity within the panth.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: