Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

General My Sikh name is now Hardas Singh

Discussion in 'Hard Talk' started by Hardas Singh, Jul 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Hardas Singh

Hardas Singh
    Expand Collapse
    (previously Satyadhi)
    SPNer

I don't want to slow down the forums with useless information, but I just wanted to make my new Sikh name official by anouncing it to the sangat. I have been considering a few different names, and have decided to go with Hardas Singh (sp?). I've read most Sikh parents announce their childs name at their gurdwara, but this is the closest thing to a gurdwara that I have and I'm the only Sikh in my family so I have to announce my own name :D.

P.S. For those that do not know Satyadhi is just a username I created, my birth name is Matthias.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Getting A Sikh Name Questions and Answers Jul 29, 2016
    Sikh Cab Driver Tejinder Singh Named ‘Australian Of The Day’ For Feeding Homeless & Needy Sikh Youth Sep 15, 2015
    Concept Of Total Liberation, Name Of God, Sikhism And Astrology Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Feb 18, 2015
    Sikh Names... Ideas? Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Jul 5, 2014
    Canada Canada names park after first Sikh settler Breaking News Jan 15, 2014

3. Admin Singh

Admin Singh
    Expand Collapse
    Admin SPNer

:happy: Contrats Hardas Singh Ji, Welcome to SPN!! :welcome:

PS: i have just added this to your SPN username... i hope you are fine with it.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh United States
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

Hardas Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

Congratulations. You have been a Sikh for a long time within because it was an internal manifestation not any external imposition. So, this is one more milestone on this journey that you started sometime ago, which itself is the destination.

Savour every step of it and if you need a mate for the part of your journey, just for the questions you may have, give us a howler.

Tejwant Singh

• Like Like x 6
  5. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Hardas Singh ji,

Do you want SPN to change your name? Or did we do that already?

• Like Like x 1
  6. vsgrewal48895

vsgrewal48895
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

Dear Hardas Ji,

It is a pleasure that you have adopted the Sikh name but according to Sikh Philosophy there is nothing in the name it is the actions which make you a Sikh by following the teachings contained in AGGS.
    Regards,

Virinder

7. susan

susan
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

Hardas Singh Ji
    Does this mean you have just recently taken Amrit? Or just changed your name? Forgive me for my ignorance.

8. Astroboy

Astroboy Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Hardas has a beautiful meaning to it.

Har means God, and
    Das means Servant

Hardas means God's servant.
    Now all you have to do is cultivate the name into action.
    Stay in humility and chardi kala.

In Ardas, this is what we pray for:-

Sikha da Munn Neeva, Matt uchi.

• Like Like x 2
  9. vegangoth

vegangoth
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Awesome name choice:) I hope you will continue to be very hapy with it:happy:

10. vsgrewal48895

vsgrewal48895
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear All,

It is important to work on social skills, close interpersonal ties and social support to be happy by following thr Rx contained in AGGS. We need to learn to trust in and surrender to this impersonal process we tend to think of as “my life.” Humans were designed to be happy, creative and in harmony with the Mother Nature at all times for a persistent state of joy. An individual can succeed in attaining happiness with his own efforts if he learns to accept Akal Purkh’s Will.

ਤੇਰਾ ਕੀਆ ਮੀਠਾ ਲਾਗੈ ॥ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਦਾਰਥੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਮਾਂਗੈ ॥

Ŧėrā kī¬ā mīṯẖā lāgai. Har nām paḏārath Nānak māʼngai.

Your actions seem so sweet to me. Nanak begs for the treasure of the Naam, the Name of the Akal Purkh. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 394-4

Happiness comes from spiritual wealth, and not from material wealth. Happiness comes from giving, not by getting, if we try hard to bring happiness to others, we cannot stop it from coming to us also.To get joy, we must give it; to keep joy, and we must scatter it.

Virinder

11. Hardas Singh

Hardas Singh
    Expand Collapse
    (previously Satyadhi)
    SPNer

Thank you everyone for your support.
    I still have quite a few more years to wait until I can take amrit, so it's only a name change, but I feel having a Sikh name even though it is not my legal name yet helps to further identify myself with Sikhi. A Sikh name inspires me to act like a Sikh even when I don't feel like I am a Sikh due to my limited access to my faith.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hardas Singh

Hardas Singh
    Expand Collapse
    (previously Satyadhi)
    SPNer

I didn't know it was possible to change names without making a new account. If it can be done I would appreciate it very much.

13. Admin Singh

Admin Singh
    Expand Collapse
    Admin SPNer

Dear Hardas Singh ji, for your information, you username to login to the network will also change to "Hardas Singh" without the quotes... rest everything remains the same. Now, i will proceed towards making the amendments in your username at SPN!! :)