• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

My Hair

lilvibez

SPNer
Dec 1, 2007
Hello, my name is Satinder Bumrah. By all means I'm not here to flame my very own religion, but I'm having some problems with my long hair. I've been a sardar my whole life, and I just turned 16. At the age of 14 I was bothered by the turban, so I decided to keep a nice firm pony tail. From till now my own long hair is really starting to bother me. I'm 16 and already starting to see baldness on my upper forehead. I would ask my mom but she is a strong believe in Sikhism, and wants to me to follow the tradition. My cousin also went threw this same stage, but decided to cut it at the age of 16. His mom was understanding, I have no idea if my mom will be cool about it. So basically, I'm going to go up to here and say this. "Mom I've been following your religion since I was a kid, now you got to respect the decision I'm going to make. I've not been pressured but anyone, but this is simply my own decision. I want to cut my hair, because first its annoying, I was born in Canada so I want to be Canadian, you were born back in your country, so please don't expect me to carry on this race which I have no idea about. Again I'm not ditching my race. I could cut my hair behind your back, but I know you know whats best for me, so please tell me what should I do?

Apr 4, 2007
satinder ji... our identity is not about race. it's about faith. if you are sure that you do not believe in the Guru's teachings, that you are not a sikh, then you're probably right that there's no point to keep your hair.

but if you want to maintain your religion, you should think twice. i can't count the number of adult sikhs i have met who cut their hair when they were teenagers and have regretted it ever since.

keeping hair has nothing to do with being canadian or american or punjabi... look at the white sikhs, the vast majority keep hair, wear turbans, etc. does that make us less american? no way!

canada is a multicultural society. you do not have to loose your faith to be a canadian, so be sure to think about this a lot before you act. i would hate to see you regret your decision.

note: i'm not making a judgement about your choice, i'm just trying to make sure you really think hard about it before you do it. :)

and hey, turbans are a great way to hide a balding head! :D

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: