• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

My Dads Birthday And My Stepson

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
My dad was 64 on Saturday, So I drove down to see him on Sunday. It was a long day, as I work mostly 7 days, as does my wife, who was suffering a bad cold, so I went with just my stepson. I picked him up, and he looked smart and lovely, and off we went. It is an hour drive to my parents, and on the way, I asked him to look at a site that I had been intrigued by, the day before, Sikhiart, by Bhagat Singhji, I found it quite beautiful, quite different, very thoughtful, inspiring, my favourites were the Akali General Phula Singh, which is now on several pc's in the shop as a background picture, (sorry Bhagatji is this infringement?), but my all time was Guru Gobind Singh ji, the first image of him that looked like a human being, a man, and also Hari Singh Nalwa, my stepson was entranced, and showed a real interest, which made me happy. I asked him which year he would like to have been able to go back to. He instantly replied the Italian Renaissance, and then told me all about it, as well as the papal powers in those days, Wonderful, its times like this I wish he had been born out of my own blood, he makes me very proud, he is studying to be a structural engineer, and is a few years behind, due to contracting meningitis, (he is 20) but at least 6 inches taller than me.

We got to my parents house, it was good to be together again with everyone, including my younger brother, who has graced this forum with his opinions, his name is Pablo. I watched as my stepson charmed everyone with his polite manner and grace, it was hard not to swell up with pride, especially as I have not been a great role model for him, with my odd socks, stained t shirts, and cavalier attitude, I worry sometimes I should change my behaviour in front of him, and be a bit more stepdad like, but my wife assures me that he loves me the way I am, and I have inspired him in other ways, and also he has a real father that is very dad like, and has a real job, and dresses and acts like a normal human being, so I hope I balance that out with my errr uhmm ways.

After dinner my mum asks anyone for drinks, I have a coke, my boy asks for lassi, he has a real taste for it, I never get over the surprise of indian waiters when this 6ft 4 white boy gives them a firm Sat Sri Akal, and then says Ik Lassi please.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM