• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Meaning Of This Shabad Please Ang 388

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Folks stop for a moment and think. Too many mountains being created out of mole hills.
Lucky Singh ji,
Seeing as "Hari Hari" is only used by Guru Ramdas ji and less frequently by Guru Arjan Dev ji (and rarely by other Gurus and Bhagats), it maybe Guru Ramdas ji's mantra! Maybe every amritvela he used to chant "Hari Hari".
I also think that one Hari would be chanted on inhalation and the other on exhalation. But can't say for sure.
Bhagat Singh ji in the other thread you stated who wrote is not important? Now it appears it is as it suits your answer.

Trying to understand Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji message I personally believe the following is fundamental,

• The Guru ji and others and their upbringing and family lineage
  • The person most addressed to in a given Shabad/stanza
  • The context and metaphorics used and their relationship to the prime addressee
Let us postulate for a moment and travel back into Guru ji's time. In this shabad/stanza the following appear most addressed,

• The Hari Hari crowd
    • The Hindus of the times
  • The rosary crowd
    • What the common folk would come across in Sadhus/Bhagats/Sants, etc.
So quite simply Guru ji's are addressing the Hindus who are too familiar with "Hari-Hari", a common Bhajan/singing duplet in Hindu worship.

So Guru ji's are teaching such people the right path by simile. They are not asking the Sikhs of today (Bhagat Singh, Luckysingh ji, Chaz Singh ji, etc.) to start acting in emulating Hari-Hari chants. Folks don't get caught in the weeds to keep justifying meditation, simran, etc. Don't lose the context of the times and people addressed. Treat each shabad/stanza as of the times and visualize its applique. Then the essence unfolds so easily without any deep scholarly dissecting and without any elitist approaches.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
I am wondering whether to respond to you or not since you normally don't respond back. For that you can bet I am angry with you.:angryyoungkaur:
I never said this "who wrote is not important?"

Ambarsaria ji,
The crowd who is being addressed here is neither the meditators, nor the ones that use malas. It's a crowd filled with people who don't meditate. In many places, Gurus actually encourage Bhajans - singing of kirtan/meditation.

Here's a Bhajan for you. I sing this every day. I love Bhai Harjinder Singh ji's rendition of it. The lyrics are by Guru Ram Das ji.

Har jan bolat sri ram nama,
Mil saadh sangat har tor
Hari's followers, speak out the name of Sri Ram (and meditate on it), mingle with a Sadh Sangat and build momentum towards Hari.

har dhan vanjo har dhan sancho,
Jis lagat hai nahi chor
Invest in only the wealth of meditation on Hari, it cannot be stolen by a thief.

Chatrik mor bolat din raati,
sun ghanhar ki ghor
The rain-bird and pea{censored} sing day and night, listening to the roaring thunder clouds.

jo bolat hai mrig meen pankheru bin har japat hai nahi hor

What the animals, birds and fish sing, sing to Hari and no other.

nanak jan har kirat gayi chhoot gayo jam ka sabh sor

The followers of Nanak sing the praises of Hari, and dispel their fear of death.

I listen to it, sing along, and follow it. I actually have it memorized. One day I ended composing my own personal rendition by accident. I love this bhajan!
Har Jan Bolat Sriram Nama-Bhai Harjinder Singh-Naad - YouTube

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
The rosary or mala was used by many and is still used by many to this day.
It helps one to focus with the aid of doing something physical. It has the action of helping you to continue with some sort of repetitive act, and is simply an aid that helps you to focus and continue with the repetitive act.

In this sense we have to remember that the shabad is in reference to this rosary and it's purpose. However, my understanding is that we do this every second of our life and it happens involuntarily with the help of our lungs.
We breathe in and out continously as part of life and function.

Let's say that the guru is infact addressing a majority hindu crowd with malaas as Ambarsariaji stated above.-Then the guru's message to them is simply that there is no need for a malaa, because when you have to do some other physical function or act, then the mala will simply stop. Most likely then, the chant of har har will also come to a halt.
However, if one does the 'har har' with each and every breath, then this can carry on along with all the other functions that you may perform with your hands, because you will still be taking one breath in and one breath out.

So, I can take this shabad and view it as addressing me personaly and us in this era and I can also see it as addressing the said crowds or people of the guru's time era.

Shabad messages are timeless even if future techno pandits start using some hand held electronic rosary, they will still be breathing in and out and this shabad will still be applicable.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Luckysingh ji thanks for your post.
However, my understanding is that we do this every second of our life and it happens involuntarily with the help of our lungs. We breathe in and out continously as part of life and function.
Yes indeed brother Luckysingh ji! ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ/"creator and such a creator" is the recognition. Beyond breath it is in all senses and all comprehension. Soon the sound by itself becomes so redundant and miniscule. Your heart and your mind so in tune that they listen without saying, you speak without words and then understand without describing. Hence a glorious moment if only such could become a life time 24/7.

Sat Sri Akal.

PS: Bhagat Singh veer ji I have no issues with people doing bhajans, etc., just as I previously clarified the same about meditation. Only reason I comment on these is if it is falsely ascribed to what Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji teaches us for salvation and leading a good life or finding God/creator. As all such has been repeatedly put down in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as there is nothing mechanical about knowing the creator.

The following not Sikhism specific but interesting. Listen around in the following at 2:20, 3:50, 4:25, 5:09, 6:20 it is the essence of this from Bulley Shah.

sikh chaj koi yaar manavan da 1 - YouTube

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bhagat Singh veer ji I have no issues with people doing bhajans, etc., just as I previously clarified the same about meditation. Only reason I comment on these is if it is falsely ascribed to what Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji teaches us for salvation and leading a good life or finding God/creator. As all such has been repeatedly put down in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as there is nothing mechanical about knowing the creator.
Bhajans are very much part of the journey to salvation in Guru Granth Sahib. That is what I am claiming.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: