• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurus Meaning Of Nanak

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Nanak.....a "name" not found in any previous Hindu Name list/god list/devta list...
A BREAK FROM ALL THINGS PREVIOUSLY....a serious DEPARTURE..NEW THOUGHTS, NEW CONCEPTS....

Then comes ANGAD...a CHANGE from Lehna.........

Amardass, Ramdass, Arjan, harGOBIND, Har rai, har Kishan, Teg Bahadur and GOBIND..............all common Hindu Names/devta names/god lists...............AND then in the ANGAD TRADITION.....................

SINGH..another CHANGE !!

A wonderful symettery....but surely analysing the word "nanak"..( I have also heard that it means...Na Nak No nose etc on basis of Language- meaning/signifying that Nanak Ji didnt have the "nose"..haumaii/what we call face/keeping up with the nose/face/etc.....and the no dukh.. etc is..HINDSIGHT....its simply a NAME that Baba Kalu ji or some other elder or Pandit Hardyaal Ji - the family Pandit.... thought up....after all Bebe NANAKI the elder sister came FIRST..and its the very SAME WORD....so do all those "arguments" also apply to her ?? WAS Baba KALU JI also just as "insistent" on asking for the MEANINGS of Nanaki ?? as to WHY that Name Nanki is not Hindu...not Muslim...why is his daughter so named ?? was it also Pandit Hardyaal who suggested the name of Nanaki...and was this also analysed and explained to Baba Kalu Ji..then this "sakhi" falls apart since why would Klau Ji wnat to know it all over again ?? Nanaki is NOT GURU Nanak...so wheres the LOGIC ?? Imho this is faulty logic thought up by experts AFTER the Guru nanak ji was long GONE...:wah:

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Gyani ji... not sure where I read it .. but another version is that, the sister brother were born at their Nanake (Nana ke = Maternal grandparents') ghar (house)... hence the names.

On the lighter side, I have never heard of the name Dadak.

With Regards.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM