Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Masala Chai - Your Recipe??

Discussion in 'Cooking & Recipies' started by Harkiran Kaur, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur Canada
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Contributor

I decided to try out some of the loose leaf tea I brought back from India. I brought two bags... both Tata brand, but one is 'Premium' and has a mixture of a few different teas, and the other is 'Gold' - not sure what the difference is between them.

Anyway first time trying to make masala chai from scratch. Just guessing based on taste I used cinnamon, cardamom and cloves... plus sugar and milk. It turned out tasting pretty close to what others have made for me. Was I close? Did I miss any spices? What's your recipe? ...or is it a family secret?

:gingerteakaur:

note: I remember there used to be a recipe forum here I thought anyway... but I can't seem to find it?? If this is in the wrong section pls feel free to move it. I put it here for lack of a better place.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Loading...

3. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Akasha ji

There is still a recipe forum. Go to Sikh Youth, then to Health and Nutrition, then to Cooking and Recipes.

I will move this for you.

4. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

• Like Like x 4
  5. Taranjeet singh

Taranjeet singh India
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Indian restaurants, esp. in the city where I reside, have generally stopped using cinnamon in Tea though it is used by some families. My cousin who is in US has informed me that he is using cinnamon for regulating Blood Pressure. I do not know if it is medically proven or not.

Yes, ginger is used in many households these days for aroma and taste.Like wise cloves are not an ingredient in our Cup of Tea.It may be individual preference. Milk and sugar to taste; and many health/calorie conscious people are shifting to sweeteners and prefer Black tea.

Some families have a preference for lemon grass tea as the Bed tea...

• Like Like x 3
  6. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Taranjeet ji

I am curious about the use of "pepper" in the list of chai ingredients that I posted from the food blog. It does not surprise me, and could in small amounts liven the other spices, give the chai a bite. I am a hardcore lassi enthusiast. My favorite is salt lassi - no mango. Yogurt, only a tad of crushed ice, and some hing, black pepper, a pinch of cardamon, and crushed mint. The pepper brings all the other flavors out .... uhmmmmmmm ! To me that is the one and only. My husband on the other hand will only go mango.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Taranjeet singh

Taranjeet singh India
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

First I take up your query about Tea.

Black Pepper /or Pepper Korn are used in Restaurants along with Asafoetid[Hing],Fennel seed[saunf], Nutmeg[Jaiphal], Holy Bessels[Tulsi] and Caron seeds[ Ajwain] in proportion that may vary from one restaurant to another.

They prepare Masala[Mixture] of these as per their own choice/preferences keeping the customer taste in mind.

My wife tells me that she also uses these ingredients for Masala Tea especially in the evening.
    In yoghart the ingredients are the same as mentioned by you.Your husband also has a refined taste. You like asian piquancy and that is Great!!!

I am checking out and shall attend to your response in about 5/6 hours.

And Lo! what am I doing on Sikhi Forum.....Hummmmm....:sippingcoffeemunda:

• Like Like x 5
    #6 Taranjeet singh, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  8. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur Canada
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Contributor

Wow those are totally different spices than what I would have guessed! When I tried it tonight, as I said I used cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves. And that mixture came out tasting pretty darn close to how it tastes when they make it at the gurdwara and when I have had it at friend's homes. I'm not a nutmeg fan at all... I can taste that in anything, so I don't think anyone around here uses it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SaintSoldier1699

SaintSoldier1699
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

For me Ghur (Jaggery) is what makes my tea do :cheerleaders:

Tea is an amazing drink, so many versions, techniques, ingredients and not to mention the social aspects. Great thread, think I will throw some cloves in the cuppa tonight before bed :singhsippingcoffee:

• Like Like x 3
  10. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Taranjeetji

I am going to experiment with both the fennel and the dill in chai next time I make it. Usually I drink the chai Thailand-style which has dried orange peel in the mix of spices.

It is a great thread.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

My experience goes as far as what you can buy from the supermarket in a little baggie. :grinningkaur:

• Like Like x 2