• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Makkar May Be Axed If Sehajdhari Row Is Settled

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada

Makkar may be axed if Sehajdhari row is settled

Tuesday, April, 16 2013 - 11:22

By Jagtar Singh-

CHANDIGARH:
Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee President Avtar Singh Makkar is likely to be replaced in case the Sehajdhari Sikh Party finally settles the issue of voting right with Shiromani Akali Dal President and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal.

Sehajdhari Sikh Party chief Paramjit Singh Ranu has claimed that he was interacting with Sukhbir Badal on this issue.

It may be mentioned the previous and the general houses of the SGPC are non-functional due to court intervention. It is the Sehajdhari Party that had approached the court following the notification that debarred the Sehajdharis from the voting rights. It was on the basis of this notification that the last elections to the general house were held. The Punjab and Haryana High Court had stayed the notification subsequently. By that time, new general house had been elected.

However, the Supreme Court stayed the functioning of the new general house on the petition filed by the Sehajdhari Party. For administrative purpose, the executive committee representing the previous house was allowed to run the SGPC affairs. The previous house became non-functional after the election of the new general house.

In case the Supreme Court restores voting rights to the Sehajdharis, fresh elections are likely to be held and the Shiromani Akali Dal would like to avoid that situation at this juncture.

In case the Sehajdhari Sikh Party withdraws its petition from the Supreme Court following settlement with Sukhbir Badal in case voting rights to the Sehajdharis are assured, the new house would become functional.

With the new house becoming functional, the executive body would have to be elected. Sources maintain that in that situation, Makkar might not be the next choice as he has outlived his utility. He was brought in to mobilise urban Sikh voters.

source: http://www.punjabnewsline.com/news/Makkar-may-be-axed-if-Sehajdhari-row-is-settled.html

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Thanks for posting this article. I was able to follow the dispute all the way through the pre-election Supreme Court reviews. And then, the entire matter became very fuzzy. News articles on the recent rash (this week and post election) of court decisions made no sense to me. Now I see what the issues were that were so confusing. All clear ! :japosatnamwaheguru:

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
p/s This article also helped me finally get to the bottom of something. In the US and Canada courts of law are asked to rule on gurdwara elections. But unlike India, the courts do not rule on who is allowed to vote. I had again fuzzy notions of why those differences are there. Now that has changed. The differences in the scope of court powers answers my questions.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: