• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Logic Of Akhand Paath - By Amarpal Singh Ji

Jun 1, 2004
Sri Guru Granth Sahib is for reading, understanding what is said in the Granth and to live a life according to what is enshrined in it. This I understand was the intent of our Guru Sahibs had in mind when they compiled Sri Guru Granth Sahib for us.

Hiring Granthis to read it, not even listening to what is being read by these Granthis has no meaning to me because this in no way meets the intent of our Guru Sahibs putting in efforts to compile Sri Guru Granth Sahib. Such act makes Akand Paath a ritual. It resembles Brahmanical way of ritualistic religious practice. If I do so and some one accuses me of falling back to Brahamanical practices, I cannot offer any intellectually honest defense of such practice.

We too had Akand Paath in our family. Our family members were always present listing to the Paath, all the night I used to sit and listen. It was a good learnig for me. This way of doing Akand Paath I can defend as Khalsa way of doing Paath. It is not a ritual, it is learning.

However, Akand Paath is not any way more significant compared to reading Sri Guru Granth Sahib for one's own learning and blissful ascendency - Chaardian Kalaan.

The practice of Akand Paath started during the difficult period for Kahlsa Panth. The rulers of that time never let us stablise at any place. Every thing had to be done in a hurry pressed by time.

It has now become a practice to organise Akand Paath when ever some one wants to start any new venture to seek the blessing of 'The Sat'. It is good, as long as some one is always listening to it with the intent to learn from it and evolve.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Re: Logic of Akhand Paath : by Amarpal Singh Ji

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh.

very well expressed by veer amarpal singh ji.

Akhand Paaths may have begun with "urgency" and "shortage of time" due to special circumstances of the Khalsa Ji in those trying days of guerilla warfare and always on the move to escape capture by the enemy..

BUT what is the "urgency" now ?? We still race ahead at top speed..seeking to beat the clock within 48 hours...the paathis changing "lanes" without skipping a beat....more emphasis on not "missing" a word/line rather than on reading gurbani properly...no listeners...more emphasis on "prauhnna chaari" looking after guests than paath.....leaving the paathi absolutley alone especially at night..etc etc are many of the ritualistic behaviours that have crept in.

In Rakabganj/sis ganj gurdwaras Delhi as well as at Amrtisar, READY MADE akhand paaths are sold..( Instant ap), there was a case of a Canadian Sikh who died in the USA, whose Akhand Paath was purchased in Delhi...and the BHOG was performed in UK....all within the time limit of 48 hours....wow that is what i call Global Village mentality !!! The rakab ganj paths are done by profesional readers who sit alone and are just marking time ( shifts)..

We MUST make a concerted effort to STOP this RITUALISTIC BEHAVIOUR. It is ANTI GURMATT as well as a total waste of money.

Jarnail Singh:rofl!!:

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!

Akhand Paath is not a ritual done in shifts. Akhand Paath also does not come to 'Bhog' after three days.

It is the regular experience of the results of true Simran.

The Guru has it always and Gurmukh experiences the uninterrupted Guru.

This is Akhand Paath.

Few words are more to read here

http://www.saysatsriakal.com/a-paath.htm

Love.

Balbir Singh

Jun 1, 2004

Fateh Bhai Sahib Balbir Singh Ji,

Thanks for sharing a gr8 website link with us.

** Off-Topic **
Sir, i would hubmly request you tell the SPN sangat more about yourself under the "Introducing Myself" section.

Best Regards

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany

Satsriakal to all, SPN members and Aman Singh Ji!
Scarcely time is left for the temporal end of worldly duties.

I wish and pray this time is also used by God to keep me aware with His presence.

When one sees a beautiful creation from a great artist, he doesn't start enquiring and praising the tools used by the artist.

I am thankful being used as God's tool.

Please communicate all your praise directly to HIM.

Love.

Balbir Singh

bhoolchook

SPNer
Mar 13, 2005
India

Of late we are all observing the various norms of Sikh practices in a routine manner.We don't go deep in the cause behind any ritual and we are not even being guided by the so called Granthies/Pracharaks/Kirtanies or the those connected with management of Gurdwaras. The so called sewadars are not even one percent sewadars but are professioinals worse than the Pandaas of Haridwar who were taught by Guru Nanak not to observe any ritual without understanding its purpose.These Granthies would always advise any innocent Gursikh to go ahead with Akhand Path whensoever he is happy or sad( i.e. birth of a son, marriage of son daughter or death of any family member).The people around also prevail upon to have Akhand Path.What I feel all this is done simply becausw the Granthies, the management of Gurdwaras are to gain with the tariff realised. People may not be aware that in all the Gurdwaras fixed tariff has been prescribed for various services. Our Gurus did not mean all this professional, greedy, manipulators in our Gurudwaras.This has become totally against the philosphy of Guru Granth Sahib.The amassing of wealth in Gurdwaras is the root cause of degradation,groupism and jealousy. The only solution is that all must decide not to have Akhand Paths to be done by paid and professioinal Pathies but we must recite the Gurbani ourselves and may take months to complete. I apologise in case I have offended the feelings of some one and would like to be corrected.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh.

Bhoolchook ji, you have not said anything wrong..but everything correct and as per gurbani.

Just for amoment lets think....Bhai Lehna Ji "HEARD" the Bani japji Sahib being "READ aloud".....and was so enamoured of the divine words of the Bani that He went on to look for its writer....Guru nanak ji...and then progressed to become GURU ANGAD JI..

Similalry Bhai Amardass Ji also heard Gurbani being recited....and went looking for its writer....and found that although GURU NANAK Ji was not around any more....GURU ANGAD JI sitting on His Throne was the Same JYOT....Bhai Amardass Ji went on to become GURU AMARDASS JI.

TODAY we not only have LOUDSPEAKERS blaring out endless Akhand Paaths, Aasa Ki Vaars, Sukhmani Sahib paaths, stereo speakers in Cars, Homes, Offices, on our personal bodies as walkmans, etc etc...and we have Hundreds of TEEKAS, shabadarths, english translations, instant meanings via the internet by just a single click of our mouse, we have Hukmnamas from Darbar sahib Amrtisar LIVE on our Computer screens....YET are we as AFFECTED by GURBANI as was BHAI LEHNA JI ( who just heard Japji sahib ??)..and Bhai Amardass Ji who also heard just Japji sahib....??? how many maong the 20 million Sikhs worldwide are on the way to TRANSFORMING froma Bhai lehan Ji to a GURU ANGAD JI ?? IF not...WHY NOT ?? It is the SAME GURBANI ?? Why cant we be TRANSFORMED ??

The answer is we have reduced everythign to a MEANINGLESS RITUAL .... FOKA WAAD VIVAAD..."Empty Talk"....PAID Granthis kirtaniyas raagis kathakaars.....JUST paying LIP SERVICE for the PAYMENTS received...no feeling, no passion, no bairaag..no committment....NOTHING except the PAYMENT and how quickly they can go on to the NEXT PAID ASSIGNMENT like taxi Drivers picking up the next fare...and we the "sangat" Pay these professional CRIERS, money to cry out the GURBANI...like Automatic CD Players.....without a thought as to what they are reading...

Once a long long time ago, a fellow Paathi ( who was also a young man just like me..about 18 years old)..BET with me that in a GURDWARA FULL to the Brim with sangat, with MICROPHONE in front of him, He would SAY ordinary Words like TARZAN ZINDABAD....keee kardo ho jee...kidhaar dhian hai tumaara ji..etc etc ALONG with the GURBANI in an AKHAND PAATH....and NO BODY would NOTICE ANYTHING. He completed his TASK ( no doubt the akhand paath was KHANDAT !! but who cares anyway as no one was listening to a word...) and WON his BET. I had to PAY a HUNDRED DOLLARS to learn this elsson which I have been learning ever since at every single akhand paath i have attended.... Today I would be willing to BET a THOUSAND DOLLARS anyone could get away with this in any akhaknd paath...to everybody ( even those sangat sitting there pretending as if they are listening.... actually DONT REGISTER nay GURBANI as it is all read so fast that even experienced GURBANI readers like myself have trouble making out what Paath the Paathi is reading...so what about those who are unfamiliar with the GURU GRANTH JI to the extent they are not even sure how many aangs Guru Ji has..much less its GURBANI ??

We have becoem MASTERS at the art of PRETENDING....some one will have to wake us up to tell us the KING is NAKED ...

Jarnail Singh

bhoolchook

SPNer
Mar 13, 2005
India

I totally agree with S.Jarnail Singh Ji.The question now is how to rectify the situation? Sikh sangat in this age cannot be compared to the times of Guru Angad Dev Ji or Gueu Amar Dass Ji when there was sincerity of purpose, dedication to the extremest degree,simplicity from the core of ones heart. Their reactions to the recital of Gurbani were spontaneous and instant whereas we are all in the stage of KINTOOS PRANTOOS. In my humble opinion we must apprise the sangat about the motivated practices of the paid Granthies and also make then aware of their own reformation if any in thedir personal lives whether there is any tinge of improvement in their daily routines when every Granthies might have recited the whole Granth Sahin not less than 100 times and whether they are all following Sikh Rahit Maryada truely. We must appeal to all sangat that reciting of Gurbani ourselves is the only way out.Our Guru never thought of paid Pathies. Granthies. Why can;t we read ourselves , let it be 5 to 10 pages daily and let we complete the Sahij path even after a year. The understanding and concentration which we must have to adopt the directions detailed therein in our way life can only come if we exeret ourselves. We can have exceptions for illiterate and those who cannot read on accout of some physical incapacities. But this much is definite that we must get rid of these paid professionals. Their presence loads us more with HOUMAY, KRODH ,LOBH, MOH and AHANKAR.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada

Gyani Jarnail Singh said:
The answer is we have reduced everythign to a MEANINGLESS RITUAL .... FOKA WAAD VIVAAD..."Empty Talk"....PAID Granthis kirtaniyas raagis kathakaars.....JUST paying LIP SERVICE for the PAYMENTS received...no feeling, no passion, no bairaag..no committment....NOTHING except the PAYMENT and how quickly they can go on to the NEXT PAID ASSIGNMENT like taxi Drivers picking up the next fare...and we the "sangat" Pay these professional CRIERS, money to cry out the GURBANI...like Automatic CD Players.....without a thought as to what they are reading...
Gyani ji, this is a strong msg, you are hammering onto us.

A solution to this I feel is to initiate Akhand paath ourselves. The interested family spare two days (or may be three days) out of their lives in a year for Guru Sahib to do seva by themselves, including reading. A simple reading may not serve the purpose initially, but we know a soft rope on a well has potential to erode the stone.

I agree with the bet thing you mentioned, and that kind of ritual may be reduced by taking responsibility on ourselves. There is no priestly class.. right?

Regards.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

Both the solutions given by Amarpal Singh Ji and Arvind Singh Ji.....point to the One Direction....SELF Appraisal. We must as individuals decide to Learn Gurbani, have the moral courage to get up and catch hold of Guru Ji's Finger and let Him Lead us...Aang by AAng...from EK Oankaar to Slok Mahalla Panjavaan Tera Kita Jatoh nahin. I tell you verily that the sheer pleasure of doing your own Gurbani paath is...beyond words.

Gurbani is a treasure of our Fore fathers...Pio daddeh ka khol dittha khazanah... not to be wasted on paid granthis and kirtaniyas who sing bollywood filmy tunes and entertain us..are we really that mean ?? I mean really really mean enought o disregard this huge treasure..and just treat it as "el-cheapo" ..the way we buy and sell akhand paaths and sehaj paaths ready made ones, pre booked ones, chutkee paath, thhabba paath, "Aad pooran -madh pooran- aaant pooran paaths"..etc the ongoing labour rate for an akhand paath is just 1500 Rupees..US 25 or so...imagine US 25 dllars for 1430 aangs....how much per aang is that ?? for that we can order Guru Ji to our house, get six granthis who will order us around like they are from heaven..dhudh liao ji, wich badaam payo ji, barfi chheeyeh ji, shuch ghee hai ji..dahin chahedaa ji..etc etc..and on top of it we DONT get any BENEFIT except boost our EGO that we have done AP....menu was great, seva was fantastic..the barfi was from Bombay, the Saag was from Taaj etc etc..

I am glad to see there is a Gurbani Vichaar mailing list on SPN....and Veer Ji Amarpal Singh ji is doing a truly fantastic job on Anand sahib Jee... I for one "dont comment" because everything is so perfect...but why the others dont comment as well is beyond me..maybe they are "afraid" of commenting on Gurbani ??? Well folks there is nothing to be "afraid" of GURU JI.... this is OUR GURU JI...so if you have any dounts, shankas, get them out..GURU JI answers all queries.

Bhul Chuk maaf

jarnail Singh.

eropa234

SPNer
Mar 24, 2005
Toronto

SSA Amar Pal,

At the inception of the panth there were a very small percentage of people who could read shahmukhi let alone gurmukhi. Akhand Paths were a mean to utilize the litrate ones for maximum preaching. In the villages when Akhand paths were orgnazied, lot of people used to be in attandance. These days its taken a form of tradition.

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!
It is strange to read so many posts from the well watchers of Sikh Dharma here.

What is the inner state of people when they listen Gurbani?

Bhaee Lehna Ji listened to Japuji Sahib and started searching Guru Nanak Ji to receive the True NAM.

Do we remember and mention the name of the person who recited Japuji Sahib for Bhaee Lehna Ji?

The true credit goes to the listener.

How many times we listened to Japuji Sahib? Have we searched and found the Truth?

We should be happy that we get to listen Gurbani also when we are not attentive.

We pretend to go to Gurudwara and listen to Akhand Paath Ji but in reality we are watchful to find a mistake done by the Paathee. And we wish to become like Bhaee Lehna Ji. It is pity.

God's praise and His NAM may be recited by anyone in any mood even not coordinated. Those bring results when one listens to it with awareness.

We get the crop when time gets ripen.

Do we remember how the seeds were sowed in earth when we pluck and enjoy the fruits?

Let our mind get ready like the cultivated earth. Let seed of NAM fall on it.

Balbir Singh

bhoolchook

SPNer
Mar 13, 2005
India

WGJKK WGJKF. Although the topic was duly discussed, commented and replied by various members but I don;t think we could reach at the clear-cut guidelines to avoid the malpractices which have now been established by the professionals for their own material benefit. Is there not necessity to apprise the general simple-minded public that the cult of pujaris who are ever ready to suggest the solution of any misfortunes/misdeeds/sad events prevalent in the Hindu culture and against which Guru Nanak has cautioned in the Gurbani quite a number of times, our present set up is by and large restoring the same with the assistance of the paid Granthis,Kirtanias etc. The culture of different tariff rates for the services itself suggests that we are going on the wrong path and we must do whatever we can to do away with these parasites.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

bhoolchook said:
WGJKK WGJKF. Although the topic was duly discussed, commented and replied by various members but I don;t think we could reach at the clear-cut guidelines to avoid the malpractices which have now been established by the professionals for their own material benefit. Is there not necessity to apprise the general simple-minded public that the cult of pujaris who are ever ready to suggest the solution of any misfortunes/misdeeds/sad events prevalent in the Hindu culture and against which Guru Nanak has cautioned in the Gurbani quite a number of times, our present set up is by and large restoring the same with the assistance of the paid Granthis,Kirtanias etc. The culture of different tariff rates for the services itself suggests that we are going on the wrong path and we must do whatever we can to do away with these parasites.

The Solution to this is...

1. Get educated about GURBANEE...read, ( slow and steady is perfectly OK..as our Sikh Rehat maryada actually enforces a SEHAJ PAATH Rule for every Sikh....and a Sehaj paath is essentially a SLOW and STEADY reading at your own pace..1 or 5 angs daily would be just fine)...and as you read Vichaar...ponder over the meanings...get the MESSAGE..and try to live our life accordingly.

2. REFUSE outright to have anything to do with such Ritualistic Akhand Paaths (PAKHAND ROTE PAATH)..even WORSE than these paid pathees are those from the Seminaries -taksaals and DERAS etc who also have ADDITIONAL Brahminic Rituals attached...Dhoofs, Ghee Bowlls and Jyots, Red Cloths and Pitchers of Water and EXTRA pathees for japji Sahib and all that PAKHAND.

3. EDUCATE those near you and dear to you regarding this.

4. Gurbani is GYAN....KNOWLEDGE. How does a ritual non stop speed reading by someone else help YOU get GYAN ?? How do the red cloths and coconuts and water pitchers etc Give you GYAN ?? DONT let these pakhandees "frighten" you with dire consequences !!! thats another sales tactic to sell their pakhand..nothing else

5. REJECT these rituals..Learn gurbani and read it yourself. Once the "DEMAND" dies off.... the paid pakhandees will disappaear.

6. STAY AWAY from Long distance Pakhand paaths...through the internet bookings, held in Amrtisar/Delhi etc. This is the WORST PAKHAND of all pakhands...

Jarnail Singh

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India

Dear Khalsa Ji (eropa234),

For long i was not on net, your post i saw today only. What you have said is true for Paath, which one cad do any time, any part of Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

Akhand paath is done day and night, it is read very fast, there are not many to listen to it during night.

My logic was for the 'Akand Paath', I fully agree with your post for Paath.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

hakimpuria

SPNer
Jul 23, 2005
S.Arvind Singh ji
Guru Fateh Parwan Hovay,
You have asked me to share my views on SPN
I do log on to SPN almost every day to read from your discussion forum and other materials sent by well read people. From what I read, it is a clear indication that we have countless people among us who understand the practical and spiritual aspect of Sikhi.At the same time I am really worried about the things happening around us. I am living in this country (CANADA) for the last 35 years. There were times when people used to call ------(can't even talk about it). Now Guru Sahib Ji has bestowed upon us with everything more than we need. We still have excuses not to accept Guru's given way of life. I am not trying to enforce it on anyone, but if we call our self Sikhs, let us take one step at a time and not get labelled as AKIRTGHAN'S. In this age of time there are no clear direction for humanity for spiritual growth other than knocking Guru Nanak's Door. I am a good reader but I cannot type very fast. God bless Gursikhs like you who are helping our brothers and sisters, sons and daugthers, and of curse us elders to know more about ourself.ones again keep up the good work.
Yours sincerely
Sohan Singh
Windsor, Ont. Canada.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
hakimpuria ji,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I understand where you are coming from. I wish, in the company of sangat of SPN, mainu vee sikhi di daat miley.

Keep writing ji.

Sincerely, Arvind.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Arvind said:
hakimpuria ji,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I understand where you are coming from. I wish, in the company of sangat of SPN, mainu vee sikhi di daat miley.

Keep writing ji.

Sincerely, Arvind.

imho..you are already blessed with the Daat of Sikhi ( from the looks of your photo)...keep praying veer and Guru ji will Bless you even more.

Love

jarnail Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: