• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Living The Shabad Guru : My Thoughts And Feelings

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Preface: Most of us have had this experience. A shabad enters our mind and stays there as we repeat, listen, feel, think about its meaning for us. We may have heard that shabad at the Gurudwara Sahib; or came across it while studying. Perhaps it is a personal favorite.
An Invitation To Share The Experience of Shabad Guru

Most of us have had this experience. A shabad enters our mind and stays there as we repeat, listen, feel, think about its meaning for us. We may have heard that shabad at the Gurudwara Sahib; or came across it while studying. Perhaps it is a personal favorite. Then, suddenly while walking, hiking, jogging, driving, or working out, there it is filling our attention. This can be a very sweet and gentle experience, or a strong, over-powering sort of thing, or just a simple thought (these are often the most insightful).

However it comes to you, we could all expand our understanding of Gurbani if we shared these thoughts and ideas and insights with each other. Whatever this experience is for you, please share it with the rest of us. Don't be shy! None of us is an expert, we are all learning from each other. So.....
  • Speak with your own inspiration from the Shabad
  • Describe is value and meaning to you in your daily life
  • Brainstorm with us, your fellow Seekers

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Re: Living The ShabadGuru: My Thoughts And Feelings

This is what Guru Ji actually taught us how to use GURBANI (the Tools) in the Tool Box (SGGS)..Tejwant Jis expressions borrowed by me with appreciation and thanks...to CHANGE our Daily Lives.
Gurbani is for LIVING...as declared in the Closing Shabad of SGGS...Thaal wich teen vastoo paiyoh..Sat Santokh Vicharo..Amarit naam thakur ka paiyoh, Jis ka Sabhs adharo...Je Ko KHAVEH, Je ko BHUNCHEH tis ka hoi Udharo...GURBANI..has to be "EATEN"...Tasted.. CHEWED...DIGESTED....in order for US to have the Benefits of its "juices"...vitamins..within it...to GROW our "bodies..mann's Health...
SAdly the growing "Pujaree class/neo brahmins and clergy" in Sikhism has enforced the growing tendency among Sikhs to merely BOW, pay obeisance, matha tek money, gifts, make karrah parshad, langgars, etc and place the SGGS in perpetual Rumallas..ONLY to be "read" by PAID Granthis/Ragis/Parcharaks/Jathedars etc and NOT by SIKHS. The Pujarees grabbed thsi RIGHT of SIKHS..and the latter is guilty of RELINQUISHING its Rights through voluntary abdication of responsibilitues fors elf impriovement through Gurbani..and instead choosing the short cut path promised by the DERA BABAS..Dehdharee Guurs, and granthis, jathedars, ragis to.."leave the SGGS paaths/Gurbani to us to read, do paath, sing as Gurbani"...while YOU SIKHS just arrange the PAYMENT. Thus the ENTIRE SIKH NATION is in DEEP STUPOR...we are in trouble..and we are all keeping the TOOL BOX and its TOOLS safely LOCKED UP..and have given the "keys" to the Pujarees/clergy..Guru Arjun ji Called this the PIO DADDEH DA KHAZANAH..which we are supposed to USE for OUR BENEFIT..instead we gave it to the PUJAREES for "safekeeping"...

Its my sincerest hope that this THREAD will help open a lot of closed doors..and allow us all to have a look at the WONDERS Guru Ji left for us...the Pio daddeh da Khazanah...as Ali Baba entered the cave of Treasures and was awed by the rubies and gold ornaments piled up..we SIKHS will see what we have been missing...for so long...:happy::happy:

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait

Giani Ji

For me Living the Sabd Guru is teen age love. The more I contemplate, the more hungry I become - Jeo Jeo oh vadhaeyeh teo teo har seo rang. It reminds me a Hindi film song, abhi abhi to aaeye ho bahar ban kai chhai ho'. It happens that Namaz from my nearby home turns into kirtan for me.

Best regards
Mohinder Singh Sahni

Feb 19, 2007
Delhi India

Yes when Guruji says Pio Dade Da Khol Ditha Khazanah, it lierally means that we have to see and use precious wealth of Gurbani bequeathed to us.

Fortunately for our generation we have different channels bringing to us live the soul touching Asa Di war from Harmandir sahib and Bangla Sahib and Kathas by people like Giani Pinderpal singh ji, Bhai Gur Iqbal Singh ji, Giani Harnam Singh ji. Many of us, may not have had the formal education to interpret Gurbani correctly but even then it never fails to touch anyone who hears it.

I was born a year after the partition holocaust which my parents went through and I was brought up only in different parts of South India. In those days Sikhs were more rare there, than even in UK or US. So the only exposure I had was from my mother. She, instead of singing lullabies would sing different Shabads to me depending on the occasion. Shabads like;

Naal Narayan mere.....
Tati Vaho na laagi.....
Aukhi ghadi na dekhan dehi...
Hamari karo hath de racha...
Gagan mein thal....

Of co{censored} she would also recite Japji Sahib, Rehras Sahib, Anand sahib, quotes from Sukhmani Sahib etc.
As a bonus we would hear sakhis of Mardana ji and Guru Nanak Dev ji, of Dhruv, Prahlad, Namdev, 4 Sahib zade. Though I had no formal training in Punjabi, my mother's above gifts are etched in my mind.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Sadh Sangat,

Guru Fateh.

What a great name of the thread!" Living The ShabadGuru: My Thoughts And Feelings".

Thanks to the two lovely ladies that are instrumental in creating this great title and also are the very important parts of this Gurmat Engine that is juggernauting towards its 10,000 members in mere 5 years since its inception.

So, THANK YOU Mai ji and Narayanjot ji for your inspiration during the brainstorming session for this thread.

Some of you may know that I walk 7 days a week at 4 am in the morning. 5.3 miles from Monday to Friday and 7 miles on Saturdays and Sundays. I do not use I pod because I like to listen to my inner self and the birds chirping around me. During this time, Gurbani verses pop up into my head which accompany me through this journey.

Some of the new members who may not know this but I used to be a Marathon Runner. The short story of my endeavours in running can be found in the following thread:

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/23859-miracles-in-sikhi.html

Enough about me-ism.

So, allow me to break the ice here by sharing some of the Shabads that have come to mind while walking:

July 31st,2009.

Went for my 5.3 miler at 4 am. The fire that destroyed Khalsa School in Vancouver, Canada, was on my mind all night long and during this journey. The Shabad that accompanied me today was," Jiskah Sahib Dadha hovei, Usnu MAAR nan sakei koyei".

One who is blessed with the True Guru( SatGuru) as a guide, then no harm can come even close to him or her.

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

August 1st,2009.

Went for my 7 miler today.The Shabad that accompanied me during this journey was:

mil maerae preethamaa jeeo thudhh bin kharee nimaanee ||
I plead you my beloved, please come and meet me. Without you, I am no one, nothing, nada, zip, zero. I am insignificant without you, my love.

mai nainee needh n aavai jeeo bhaavai ann n paanee ||
Your absence, my beloved, has made me lose any desire to sleep and eat.

paanee ann n bhaavai mareeai haavai bin pir kio sukh paaeeai ||
As all my desires are gone. How can I find peace, my love, without you?

gur aagai karo binanthee jae gur bhaavai jio milai thivai milaaeeai ||
I plead to my Guru, my beloved, and with His grace, we will be united.

aapae mael leae sukhadhaathaa aap miliaa ghar aaeae ||
My beloved has listened to my pleas. He is the giver of peace, the fulfiller of my yearnings and longings. I have found the connection with Him within me. He has united me with Himself.

naanak kaaman sadhaa suhaagan naa pir marai n jaaeae ||4||2||
O Nanak,Now my love is eternal with my beloved, Ik Ong Kaar,it is never going to die. We will be together for eternity.||4||2||

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

The journey continues.....

August 2nd,2009.

Went for my 7 miler today and the Shabad that accompanied me in today's journey was: Eh sareerah mereiah, iss jug mein ayei kei, kia tudh karam kamaeiya?

"Hey, person, what kind of footprints are you planning to leave on this speck of sand called the Earth before departing?"

August 3rd,2009

The same Shabad continued and accompanied me on my 5.3 mile journey at 4am today: Ki karam kamayeiah tudh sareerah, jah tum jug mein ayeia? "Hey person, What have you been up to so far in your life? Show the world your ledgers of your actions and deeds."

August 4th,2009

The journey continues in my 5.3 miles of contemplation today: Jin Har terah rachan racheiya, so Har munn nah vasaeia." The ONE who gave you this body - Ik Ong Kaar- , You did not bother to cultivate any connection with The Source in your mind in order to learn how to breed goodness within as footprints to be left after your departure on this speck of sand called The Earth.

August 5th,2009

The journey with the same Shabad continues today on my 5.3 miler. Gur Parsadi HAR munn vaseia, poorab likhiah payeiah. With the Grace of the Guru,One finds THE ONE within as part & parcel of one's own destiny.Kahei Nanak ehu sareer pravaan hoa, jin SATGURU sio chit layeiah.||35|| Says Nanak, hey person, you are only able to create the footprints to be left behind, provided you find the connection with SATGURU||35||

Tejwant Singh

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada

On the evening of 25 April 2006, I went to bed with full, lovely kes, my head hair shining and healthy, a bit below my waist. *(Being a woman, I lacked all but a tiny bit of facial adornment.)

When I came out of a coma about a week later, my hair were broken off, mostly just past my shoulders; what was left was dull and lifeless.

I had had a massive stroke and had died. To revive me, the paramedics at home and later the doctors at the hospital had repeatedly used a defibrillator to revive my lifeless body. Although, my hair was not shorn, I felt naked - and a little guilty - without it I am told that hairs take three years to regain their natural state after being damaged, however the damage occurs. Three years have now passed and, while it's still quite short (mid-back), I am grateful to feel that I have my kesh back.

During this time, I have often listened to and meditated on this part of this shabad: (SGGS, Ang 941:

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥
guramukh rom rom har dhhiaavai ||
The Gurmukh meditates on the Lord with every hair of his body.
The whole Shabad can be heard at:

YouTube - The Gurmukh meditates on God with every hair of his body.

preceded by a short talk on the importance of kes (in Punjabi).

The words to the whole Shabad follow, although what is left of my brain hangs on to that one line above:
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਾਚੇ ਕਾ ਭਉ ਪਾਵੈ ॥
guramukh saachae kaa bho paavai ||
The Gurmukh lives in the Fear of God, the True Lord.
4 Raamkalee Guru Nanak Dev ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬਾਣੀ ਅਘੜੁ ਘੜਾਵੈ ॥
guramukh baanee agharr gharraavai ||
Through the Word of the Guru's Bani, the Gurmukh refines the unrefined.
4 Raamkalee Guru Nanak Dev ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵੈ ॥
guramukh niramal har gun gaavai ||
The Gurmukh sings the immaculate, Glorious Praises of the Lord.
5 Raamkalee Guru Nanak Dev ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰੁ ਪਰਮ ਪਦੁ ਪਾਵੈ ॥
guramukh pavithra param padh paavai ||
The Gurmukh attains the supreme, sanctified status.
5 Raamkalee Guru Nanak Dev ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥
guramukh rom rom har dhhiaavai ||
The Gurmukh meditates on the Lord with every hair of his body.
5 Raamkalee Guru Nanak Dev ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਾਚਿ ਸਮਾਵੈ ॥੨੭॥
naanak guramukh saach samaavai ||27||
O Nanak, the Gurmukh merges in Truth. ||27||
6 Raamkalee Guru Nanak Dev ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਰਚੈ ਬੇਦ ਬੀਚਾਰੀ ॥
guramukh parachai baedh beechaaree ||
The Gurmukh is pleasing to the True Guru; this is contemplation on the Vedas.
6 Raamkalee Guru Nanak Dev ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਰਚੈ ਤਰੀਐ ਤਾਰੀ ॥
guramukh parachai thareeai thaaree ||
Pleasing the True Guru, the Gurmukh is carried across.
6 Raamkalee Guru Nanak Dev ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਰਚੈ ਸੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਗਿਆਨੀ ॥
guramukh parachai s sabadh giaanee ||
Pleasing the True Guru, the Gurmukh receives the spiritual wisdom of the Shabad.
7 Raamkalee Guru Nanak Dev ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਰਚੈ ਅੰਤਰ ਬਿਧਿ ਜਾਨੀ ॥
guramukh parachai anthar bidhh jaanee ||
Pleasing the True Guru, the Gurmukh comes to know the path within.
7 Raamkalee Guru Nanak Dev ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਾਈਐ ਅਲਖ ਅਪਾਰੁ ॥
guramukh paaeeai alakh apaar ||
The Gurmukh attains the unseen and infinite Lord.
7 Raamkalee Guru Nanak Dev ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥੨੮॥
naanak guramukh mukath dhuaar ||28||
O Nanak, the Gurmukh finds the door of liberation. ||28||

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada

Tejwant ji =

You are most kind, but we both know that I have no wisdom. Anything wise that I seem to come up with is really from Her/Him, most properly It. :wah: The nonsense, of course, is mine.:}{}{}:

For what it's worth, I had quite an adventure while dead and really didn't want to come back. Akaal Purakh, however, does not consult me and here I am.

Chardi kala!! :ice:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

Tejwnat Ji and Harinder Ji, Gurfateh. Jis ka SAHIB Dhaddah hoeah..tis ko maar na skeh koi is so true. The Young friend/student/of mine that died recently of cancer at the age of just 17 had to go through chemeotherapy etc..which caused her KESH to fall off. To her this was the most painful thing to bear...she always wondered if she would have to go without her Kesh..so when the Doctors finally gave up and gave her a few months to live..she stopped all chemeo and drugs immediately so her KESH would grow back...and they sure did...she died with her full KESH intact...she endured tremendous pyhsical PAIN due to not taking the drugs/pain killers morphine etc..for the joy of having her KESH back.. YES..until and unless HE decides..we stop breathing..no one can do that !!

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Re: Living The Shabad Guru: My Thoughts And Feelings

Mai Ji, Gurfateh.
Teji ji is right. You may not be aware of your own "wisdom"..we are..simply because we benefit from it..he he he. So keep the wisdom flowing freely jios...although we too know the Fountain of Real wisdom is..HE the One and Only ONE..EK Oangkar.
Cheers and Chardeekalla:welcome:

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Re: Living The Shabad Guru: My Thoughts And Feelings

Gyani Jarnail Singh,

You wrote:

Jis ka SAHIB Dhaddah hoeah..tis ko maar na skeh koi is so true. The Young friend/student/of mine that died recently of cancer at the age of just 17 had to go through chemeotherapy etc..which caused her KESH to fall off. To her this was the most painful thing to bear...she always wondered if she would have to go without her Kesh..so when the Doctors finally gave up and gave her a few months to live..she stopped all chemeo and drugs immediately so her KESH would grow back...and they sure did...she died with her full KESH intact...she endured tremendous pyhsical PAIN due to not taking the drugs/pain killers morphine etc..for the joy of having her KESH back.. YES..until and unless HE decides..we stop breathing..no one can do that !!

What a beautiful true story! Of course, any woman (and most men!) would be hurt by the loss of their hair, but for a Sikh woman (and a keshdhari Sikh man!) it is devastating. This is not vanity, well, not just vanity. Kesh is precious in a way that, I think, a nonSikh can't understand. People around me simply couldn't understand why the loss of my hair disturbed me more than being unable to walk, unable to talk, unable to drink water and unable to eat without choking. Even after I could talk, I was completely unable to explain so they would understand. I often heard, "They had to ruin your hair to save your life. What is more important, your silly hair or your life?" (They don't understand the difference between their "hair" and my "kesh".) Any interesting question. My husband and son and the others made that choice and now they are shaheeds. The issue of my kesh after the stroke, of course, was no where near as noble, still I wonder. I was dead when they used the defibrillator on me and had no say in the matter. I wonder if I had been able to make that decision myself, which decision would I have made? I think I know, but I can't be sure.

My situation was nowhere near as bad as this young lady. Chemo leaves you BALD! What was left of my kesh was dull and lifeless and broken and short, but it was there. I salute her courage. Truthfully, death no longer frightens me. You know, been there, done that. Pain does frighten me. Pain can be almost unendurable! There are days when the arthritis is so bad that I can hardly hobble to the bathroom; however that is minor compared to the pain of terminal cancer. Her courage gives me courage.

And I reiterate, any "wisdom" I seem to have is not from me. I am a simple, fat, Sikh woman of 57 who has lived an interesting life. Nothing more.

Now, can we please get back to ShabadGuru? (From the ridiculous to the sublime.)

Chardi kala!!:ice:

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
Man juthai tan juth hai jihvae juthee hoye

ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ॥
सिरीरागु महला १ ॥
Sirīrāg mėhlā 1.
Siree Raag, First Mehl:

ਮਨਿ ਜੂਠੈ ਤਨਿ ਜੂਠਿ ਹੈ ਜਿਹਵਾ ਜੂਠੀ ਹੋਇ ॥
मनि जूठै तनि जूठि है जिहवा जूठी होइ ॥
Man jūṯẖai ṯan jūṯẖ hai jihvā jūṯẖī ho▫e.
If the mind is polluted, then the body is polluted, and the tongue is polluted as well.

ਮੁਖਿ ਝੂਠੈ ਝੂਠੁ ਬੋਲਣਾ ਕਿਉ ਕਰਿ ਸੂਚਾ ਹੋਇ ॥
मुखि झूठै झूठु बोलणा किउ करि सूचा होइ ॥
Mukẖ jẖūṯẖai jẖūṯẖ bolṇā ki▫o kar sūcẖā ho▫e.
With false mouths, people speak falsehood. How can they be made pure?

ਬਿਨੁ ਅਭ ਸਬਦ ਨ ਮਾਂਜੀਐ ਸਾਚੇ ਤੇ ਸਚੁ ਹੋਇ ॥੧॥
बिनु अभ सबद न मांजीऐ साचे ते सचु होइ ॥१॥
Bin abẖ sabaḏ na māʼnjī▫ai sācẖe ṯe sacẖ ho▫e. ||1||
Without the Holy Water of the Shabad, they are not cleansed. From the True One alone comes Truth. ||1||

ਮੁੰਧੇ ਗੁਣਹੀਣੀ ਸੁਖੁ ਕੇਹਿ ॥
मुंधे गुणहीणी सुखु केहि ॥
Munḏẖe guṇhīṇī sukẖ kehi.
O soul-bride, without virtue, what happiness can there be?

ਪਿਰੁ ਰਲੀਆ ਰਸਿ ਮਾਣਸੀ ਸਾਚਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਸੁਖੁ ਨੇਹਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
पिरु रलीआ रसि माणसी साचि सबदि सुखु नेहि ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Pir ralī▫ā ras māṇsī sācẖ sabaḏ sukẖ nehi. ||1|| rahā▫o.
The Husband Lord enjoys her with pleasure and delight; she is at peace in the love of the True Word of the Shabad. ||1||Pause||

ਪਿਰੁ ਪਰਦੇਸੀ ਜੇ ਥੀਐ ਧਨ ਵਾਂਢੀ ਝੂਰੇਇ ॥
पिरु परदेसी जे थीऐ धन वांढी झूरेइ ॥
Pir parḏesī je thī▫ai ḏẖan vāʼndẖī jūre▫e.
When the Husband goes away, the bride suffers in the pain of separation,

ਜਿਉ ਜਲਿ ਥੋੜੈ ਮਛੁਲੀ ਕਰਣ ਪਲਾਵ ਕਰੇਇ ॥
जिउ जलि थोड़ै मछुली करण पलाव करेइ ॥
Ji▫o jal thoṛai macẖẖulī karaṇ palāv kare▫i.
like the fish in shallow water, crying for mercy.

ਪਿਰ ਭਾਵੈ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਜਾ ਆਪੇ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰੇਇ ॥੨॥
पिर भावै सुखु पाईऐ जा आपे नदरि करेइ ॥२॥
Pir bẖāvai sukẖ pā▫ī▫ai jā āpe naḏar kare▫i. ||2||
As it pleases the Will of the Husband Lord, peace is obtained, when He Himself casts His Glance of Grace. ||2||

ਪਿਰੁ ਸਾਲਾਹੀ ਆਪਣਾ ਸਖੀ ਸਹੇਲੀ ਨਾਲਿ ॥
पिरु सालाही आपणा सखी सहेली नालि ॥
Pir sālāhī āpṇā sakẖī sahelī nāl.
Praise your Husband Lord, together with your bridesmaids and friends.

ਤਨਿ ਸੋਹੈ ਮਨੁ ਮੋਹਿਆ ਰਤੀ ਰੰਗਿ ਨਿਹਾਲਿ ॥
तनि सोहै मनु मोहिआ रती रंगि निहालि ॥
Ŧan sohai man mohi▫ā raṯī rang nihāl.
The body is beautified, and the mind is fascinated. Imbued with His Love, we are enraptured.

ਸਬਦਿ ਸਵਾਰੀ ਸੋਹਣੀ ਪਿਰੁ ਰਾਵੇ ਗੁਣ ਨਾਲਿ ॥੩॥
सबदि सवारी सोहणी पिरु रावे गुण नालि ॥३॥
Sabaḏ savārī sohṇī pir rāve guṇ nāl. ||3||
Adorned with the Shabad, the beautiful bride enjoys her Husband with virtue. ||3||

ਕਾਮਣਿ ਕਾਮਿ ਨ ਆਵਈ ਖੋਟੀ ਅਵਗਣਿਆਰਿ ॥
कामणि कामि न आवई खोटी अवगणिआरि ॥
Kāmaṇ kām na āvī kẖotī avgaṇi▫ār.
The soul-bride is of no use at all, if she is evil and without virtue.

ਨਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਪੇਈਐ ਸਾਹੁਰੈ ਝੂਠਿ ਜਲੀ ਵੇਕਾਰਿ ॥
ना सुखु पेईऐ साहुरै झूठि जली वेकारि ॥
Nā sukẖ pe▫ī▫ai sāhurai jẖūṯẖ jalī vekār.
She does not find peace in this world or the next; she burns in falsehood and corruption.

ਆਵਣੁ ਵੰਞਣੁ ਡਾਖੜੋ ਛੋਡੀ ਕੰਤਿ ਵਿਸਾਰਿ ॥੪॥
आवणु वंञणु डाखड़ो छोडी कंति विसारि ॥४॥
Āvaṇ vañaṇ dākẖ▫ṛo cẖẖodī kanṯ visār. ||4||
Coming and going are very difficult for that bride who is abandoned and forgotten by her Husband Lord. ||4||

ਪਿਰ ਕੀ ਨਾਰਿ ਸੁਹਾਵਣੀ ਮੁਤੀ ਸੋ ਕਿਤੁ ਸਾਦਿ ॥
पिर की नारि सुहावणी मुती सो कितु सादि ॥
Pir kī nār suhāvaṇī muṯī so kiṯ sāḏ.
The beautiful soul-bride of the Husband Lord-by what sensual pleasures has she been doomed?

ਪਿਰ ਕੈ ਕਾਮਿ ਨ ਆਵਈ ਬੋਲੇ ਫਾਦਿਲੁ ਬਾਦਿ ॥
पिर कै कामि न आवई बोले फादिलु बादि ॥
Pir kai kām na āvī bole fāḏil bāḏ.
She is of no use to her Husband if she babbles in useless arguments.

ਦਰਿ ਘਰਿ ਢੋਈ ਨਾ ਲਹੈ ਛੂਟੀ ਦੂਜੈ ਸਾਦਿ ॥੫॥
दरि घरि ढोई ना लहै छूटी दूजै सादि ॥५॥
Ḏar gẖar dẖo▫ī nā lahai cẖẖūtī ḏūjai sāḏ. ||5||
At the Door of His Home, she finds no shelter; she is discarded for seeking other pleasures. ||5||

ਪੰਡਿਤ ਵਾਚਹਿ ਪੋਥੀਆ ਨਾ ਬੂਝਹਿ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
पंडित वाचहि पोथीआ ना बूझहि वीचारु ॥
Pandiṯ vācẖėh pothī▫ā nā būjẖėh vīcẖār.
The Pandits, the religious scholars, read their books, but they do not understand the real meaning.

ਅਨ ਕਉ ਮਤੀ ਦੇ ਚਲਹਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਕਾ ਵਾਪਾਰੁ ॥
अन कउ मती दे चलहि माइआ का वापारु ॥
An ka▫o maṯī ḏe cẖalėh mā▫i▫ā kā vāpār.
They give instructions to others, and then walk away, but they deal in Maya themselves.

ਕਥਨੀ ਝੂਠੀ ਜਗੁ ਭਵੈ ਰਹਣੀ ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁ ਸਾਰੁ ॥੬॥
कथनी झूठी जगु भवै रहणी सबदु सु सारु ॥६॥
Kathnī jẖūṯẖī jag bẖavai rahṇī sabaḏ so sār. ||6||
Speaking falsehood, they wander around the world, while those who remain true to the Shabad are excellent and exalted. ||6||

ਕੇਤੇ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਜੋਤਕੀ ਬੇਦਾ ਕਰਹਿ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
केते पंडित जोतकी बेदा करहि बीचारु ॥
Keṯe pandiṯ joṯkī beḏā karahi bīcẖār.
There are so many Pandits and astrologers who ponder over the Vedas.

ਵਾਦਿ ਵਿਰੋਧਿ ਸਲਾਹਣੇ ਵਾਦੇ ਆਵਣੁ ਜਾਣੁ ॥
वादि विरोधि सलाहणे वादे आवणु जाणु ॥
vāḏ viroḏẖ salāhṇe vāḏe āvaṇ jāṇ.
They glorify their disputes and arguments, and in these controversies they continue coming and going.

ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਰ ਕਰਮ ਨ ਛੁਟਸੀ ਕਹਿ ਸੁਣਿ ਆਖਿ ਵਖਾਣੁ ॥੭॥
बिनु गुर करम न छुटसी कहि सुणि आखि वखाणु ॥७॥
Bin gur karam na cẖẖutsī kahi suṇ ākẖ vakẖāṇ. ||7||
Without the Guru, they are not released from their karma, although they speak and listen and preach and explain. ||7||

ਸਭਿ ਗੁਣਵੰਤੀ ਆਖੀਅਹਿ ਮੈ ਗੁਣੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋਇ ॥
सभि गुणवंती आखीअहि मै गुणु नाही कोइ ॥
Sabẖ guṇvanṯī ākẖī▫ahi mai guṇ nāhī ko▫e.
They all call themselves virtuous, but I have no virtue at all.

ਹਰਿ ਵਰੁ ਨਾਰਿ ਸੁਹਾਵਣੀ ਮੈ ਭਾਵੈ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸੋਇ ॥
हरि वरु नारि सुहावणी मै भावै प्रभु सोइ ॥
Har var nār suhāvaṇī mai bẖāvai parabẖ so▫e.
With the Lord as her Husband, the soul-bride is happy; I, too, love that God.

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਬਦਿ ਮਿਲਾਵੜਾ ਨਾ ਵੇਛੋੜਾ ਹੋਇ ॥੮॥੫॥
नानक सबदि मिलावड़ा ना वेछोड़ा होइ ॥८॥५॥
Nānak sabaḏ milāvṛā nā vecẖẖoṛā ho▫e. ||8||5||
O Nanak, through the Shabad, union is obtained; there is no more separation. ||8||5||

SGGS p 55-56

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Man juthai tan juth hai jihvae juthee hoye

Huck ji - I have moved this to the new focus thread, Living the Shabad Guru: My Thoughts and Feelings. Also we humbly request a vichaar from you regarding this shabad. What is it about this shabad that caused you to bring it up? What is its meaning for you? Narayanjot Kaur

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
narayanjot ji

i am still contemplating on this. Each tuk connects to each person differently, i am going through my cycle of understanding.

and I am generally not the one inclined to discourse.

I would rather understand and imbibe.

:)

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Huck_Finn ji,

Guru Fateh.

You have done it again, this time in the thread which specifically indicates what it is about. Let me repeat the title of this thread again so you can grasp what should be posted here.

The title says: "Living The Shabad Guru : My Thoughts And Feelings"

I am sure you have read the excellent introduction to the thread by Mai Harinder Kaur ji. I have no idea why you have ignored that and copied and pasted the Shabad that you should have expressed in your own words.

When asked by Narayanjot ji to express what the Shabad means to you, you come with some abstract answers which make no sense.

narayanjot ji

i am still contemplating on this. Each tuk connects to each person differently, i am going through my cycle of understanding.
and I am generally not the one inclined to discourse.
I would rather understand and imbibe.

Ok, I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are still trying to understand this Shabad. So, please post your personal expression when you have understood this one and the others that you have done the same in different threads in the forum.

In the meantime, please post the Shabad/s in this thread that you do understand and share your thoughts and feelings about them. I am sure with a person of your caliber,you must have a lot of them in your mental archive or in your computer hard drive as a computer savvy person you are.

Please share your Gurmat wisdom with us.

Lastly I am still waiting for the response about my questions regarding the Shabad you have copied and pasted in the "What is Dharam Yudh?" thread.

Thanks

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I need quickly to intervene on this. The post by Huck Finn was in another thread and I moved it here because it was in my estimation not related to the original thread. There was no explanation of the fit between shabad and topic, and so I migrated it to the current location. So please do give the benefit of the doubt. :wah:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I need quickly to intervene on this. The post by Huck Finn was in another thread and I moved it here because it was in my estimation not related to the original thread. There was no explanation of the fit between shabad and topic, and so I migrated it to the current location. So please do give the benefit of the doubt. :wah:

Narayanjot ji,

Guru Fateh.

Point well taken. I do have the habit of giving the benefit of the doubt which I also mentioned to Huck_ Finn ji the same in this thread and in one of the other threads. This is a good Sikhi trait that all should adapt to and then adhere to.

So, let us hope that Huck_Finn ji shares his own thoughts and feelings about the above Shabad or any other which is the only objective of this thread as beautifully mentioned by Mai Harinder ji in her introduction.

Note to Huck_ Finn ji: "I do apologise in advance if you feel offended by my remarks as I did not have the information that has been given now by Narayanjot ji about your post being moved here.
I will wait for you to share your thoughts about the Shabads you copy and paste."

Tejwant Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: