• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Journey Of The Soul - Part 2

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Part 1 of this series has been concluded and this Part 2 is not necessarily a continuation of Part 1. It actually depends on how you want to look at it. Soul exists Here and Now. Soul cannot exist yesterday nor tomorrow. So how can there be a journey for Soul; a journey can only take place in the realm of Space and Time?

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
:hmm: I have another question. In Punjabi when a person dies, he is said to have done "Akaal Chalana". Another phrase is "Dunia chad giaa hai". In Malay it is said that he has "meninggal dunia" - left the world.

This is my question: If Soul and Body are separated, how can the Soul depart? Because Soul is always Here and Now and permanent. It is the body that goes away because it is impermanent.

Comments are welcomed!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
NamJap ji

I await answers to your message. This question has not yet been answered for me -- though I do have my own private theory. Amarpal ji has addressed this in a very interesting way on a different thread.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Excerpts from What Becomes Of The Soul After Death

A dead body cannot speak, cannot walk, cannot see. It remains like a log of wood after the soul has departed from the body. It is the soul that enlivens, galvanize, moves and directs the body, mind and the senses.

Everybody feels ‘I exist’, ‘I am, Aham Asmi’. No one can say ‘I do not exist’. This itself proves the existence of an Immortal Soul or the Supreme Self. In deep sleep you rest in the Supreme Soul. There is no world for you. You enjoy unalloyed bliss. This proves that the Supreme Soul exists and its essential nature is pure bliss.

Purify your mind. Steady it. Fix the mind on the Supreme Soul. Meditate and realise your essential divine nature. You will be freed from the wheel of births and deaths. You will attain eternal bliss and immortality.

The Jiva or the individual soul along with Pranas, the mind and the senses leaves his former body and obtains a new body. He takes with himself Avidya, virtues and vicious actions and the impressions left by his previous births.

The soul goes from the body accompanied by the mind, Prana, the senses and the Sukshmabhutas or elements. The soul takes with it the subtle parts of the elements which are the seeds of the new body. All the elements accompany the soul.
When he departs, the chief Prana departs after him and when the Prana thus departs, all the other Pranas depart after it. They cannot stay without the basis or substratum or support of the elements. The subtle elements or Tanmatras form the base for the moving Pranas.

Hells are places of torture for the evil-doers. The temporary abodes are Raurava, Maharaurava, Vahni, Vaitarani and Kumbhika. The two eternal hells are Tamisra (darkness) and Andhatamisra (blinding darkness). The seven hells are superintended by Chitragupta and others. Yama is the chief ruler in those seven hells also. Chitragupta and others are only superintendents and lieutenants employed by Yama. They are all under Yama’s government and suzerainty. Chitragupta and others are directed by Yama.

The Sruti says that those who do not go by means of Vidya along the path of Devayana to Brahmaloka or by means of Karma along the path of Pitriyana to Chandraloka are born often in low bodies and die often. The evil-doers go to the third place (Tritiyam sthaanam). The Sruti passage says: “Now those who go along neither of these ways become those small creatures, flies, worms, etc., continually returning, of whom it may be said: ‘Live and Die’. Theirs is the third place. The sinners are called small creatures because they assume the bodies of insects, gnats, etc. Their place is called the third place because it is neither Brahmaloka, nor the Chandraloka.

“The souls return the way they went, to the ether, from ether to air. Then the sacrifices having become air becomes smoke; having become smoke he becomes mist; having become mist, he becomes cloud; having become cloud he rains down. The souls do not attain identity with ether, air, etc. They become only like ether, air, etc. They assume a subtle form like ether, come under the influence or power of air and get mixed or connected with smoke etc. The soul passes through them quickly.
“Having become cloud he rains down. Then he is born as rice, corn, herbs, tree, sesamum and beans. From them the escape is beset with most difficulties. For, whoever the person may be who eats the food and begets offspring, he henceforth becomes like unto them.” (Chhandogya Upanishad: 10.5.)
The soul’s journey through the stages of the ether, air, vapour or smoke, mist, cloud and rain takes shorter time than its passing through the stages of corn, semen, foetus, which takes a much longer time of hard suffering.
Naradiya Purana says: “He who has begun to descend will enter the mother’s womb before a year passes since starting, though wandering through different places.”
The souls are merely connected with rice and plants which are already animated by other souls and do not enjoy their pleasures and pains. They become connected with those plants.

The souls use the rice and plants as their halting station without being identified with them. They do not lose their identity.
Chhandogya Upanishad declares: “Whoever eats the food and performs the act of generation, that again the soul becomes” (V. 10.6). The soul gets connected with one who performs the act of generation. The descending soul becomes again that food and that semen. The soul remains in him in copulation only till he enters into the mother’s womb with the semen injected. He has a touch with the seminal fluid created by eating such grain and ultimately attains a body in the womb.
He attains a fully developed human body in the womb of the mother which is fit for experiencing the fruits of the remainder of works. The family in which he is to be born is regulated by the nature of the remainder as mentioned in Chh. Up. V. 10-7: “Of these, those whose conduct here has been good will quickly attain good birth, the birth of a Brahmin, or a Kshatriya or a Vaisya. But those, whose, conduct here has been bad will quickly attain an evil birth, of a dog, or a hog, or a Chandala.”
The whole object of teaching this law of incarnation is that you should realise that the Atman or the Absolute alone is the highest bliss. The Atman alone must be your sole object of quest. You should get disgusted with this world of pain and sorrow and develop dispassion, discrimination and try earnestly to attain the eternal bliss of the Absolute.
O ignorant man! O foolish man! O miserable man! O deluded soul! Wake up from your long slumber of ignorance. Open your eyes. Develop the four means of salvation and attain the goal of life, the summum bonum, right now, in this very birth. Come out of this cage of flesh. You have been long imprisoned in this prison-house of body from time immemorial. You have been dwelling in the womb again and again. Cut the knot of Avidya and soar high in the realms of eternal Bliss.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Do Mool Mantar the longer one or the shorter one, you choose. 150,000 times in a year
For e.g. if we start at the beginning of Vaisakhi year 2009 to next Vaisakhi year 2010, then it amounts to doing it 410 times per day x 365 days.

It is a personal choice whether you want to do MOOL MANTRA up to Gurparsad or Nanak Hosi Bhi Sach.
No amount of dispute is going to help you. Doing it will, whichever way you want to, but the idea is to get out of this mess of reincarnation.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ
ੴ सतिगुर प्रसादि ॥
Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਸਲੋਕ ਮਹਲਾ
सलोक महला ९ ॥
Salok mėhlā 9.
Shalok, Ninth Mehl:

ਗੁਨ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਗਾਇਓ ਨਹੀ ਜਨਮੁ ਅਕਾਰਥ ਕੀਨੁ
गुन गोबिंद गाइओ नही जनमु अकारथ कीनु ॥
Gun gobinḏ gā▫i▫o nahī janam akārath kīn.
If you do not sing the Praises of the Lord, your life is rendered useless.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਭਜੁ ਮਨਾ ਜਿਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਜਲ ਕਉ ਮੀਨੁ ॥੧॥
कहु नानक हरि भजु मना जिह बिधि जल कउ मीनु ॥१॥
Kaho Nānak har bẖaj manā jih biḏẖ jal ka▫o mīn. ||1||
Says Nanak, meditate, vibrate upon the Lord; immerse your mind in Him, like the fish in the water. ||1||

ਬਿਖਿਅਨ ਸਿਉ ਕਾਹੇ ਰਚਿਓ ਨਿਮਖ ਹੋਹਿ ਉਦਾਸੁ
बिखिअन सिउ काहे रचिओ निमख न होहि उदासु ॥
Bikẖi▫an si▫o kāhe racẖi▫o nimakẖ na hohi uḏās.
Why are you engrossed in sin and corruption? You are not detached, even for a moment!

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਭਜੁ ਹਰਿ ਮਨਾ ਪਰੈ ਜਮ ਕੀ ਫਾਸ ॥੨॥
कहु नानक भजु हरि मना परै न जम की फास ॥२॥
Kaho Nānak bẖaj har manā parai na jam kī fās. ||2||
Says Nanak, meditate, vibrate upon the Lord, and you shall not be caught in the noose of death. ||2||

ਤਰਨਾਪੋ ਇਉ ਹੀ ਗਇਓ ਲੀਓ ਜਰਾ ਤਨੁ ਜੀਤਿ
तरनापो इउ ही गइओ लीओ जरा तनु जीति ॥
Ŧarnāpo i▫o hī ga▫i▫o lī▫o jarā ṯan jīṯ.
Your youth has passed away like this, and old age has overtaken your body.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਭਜੁ ਹਰਿ ਮਨਾ ਅਉਧ ਜਾਤੁ ਹੈ ਬੀਤਿ ॥੩॥
कहु नानक भजु हरि मना अउध जातु है बीति ॥३॥
Kaho Nānak bẖaj har manā a▫oḏẖ jāṯ hai bīṯ. ||3||
Says Nanak, meditate, vibrate upon the Lord; your life is fleeting away! ||3||

ਬਿਰਧਿ ਭਇਓ ਸੂਝੈ ਨਹੀ ਕਾਲੁ ਪਹੂਚਿਓ ਆਨਿ
बिरधि भइओ सूझै नही कालु पहूचिओ आनि ॥
Biraḏẖ bẖa▫i▫o sūjẖai nahī kāl pahūcẖi▫o ān.
You have become old, and you do not understand that death is overtaking you.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਰ ਬਾਵਰੇ ਕਿਉ ਭਜੈ ਭਗਵਾਨੁ ॥੪॥
कहु नानक नर बावरे किउ न भजै भगवानु ॥४॥
Kaho Nānak nar bāvre ki▫o na bẖajai bẖagvān. ||4||
Says Nanak, you are insane! Why do you not remember and meditate on God? ||4||

ਧਨੁ ਦਾਰਾ ਸੰਪਤਿ ਸਗਲ ਜਿਨਿ ਅਪੁਨੀ ਕਰਿ ਮਾਨਿ
धनु दारा स्मपति सगल जिनि अपुनी करि मानि ॥
Ḏẖan ḏārā sampaṯ sagal jin apunī kar mān.
Your wealth, spouse, and all the possessions which you claim as your own -

ਇਨ ਮੈ ਕਛੁ ਸੰਗੀ ਨਹੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਚੀ ਜਾਨਿ ॥੫॥
इन मै कछु संगी नही नानक साची जानि ॥५॥
In mai kacẖẖ sangī nahī Nānak sācẖī jān. ||5||
none of these shall go along with you in the end. O Nanak, know this as true. ||5||

ਪਤਿਤ ਉਧਾਰਨ ਭੈ ਹਰਨ ਹਰਿ ਅਨਾਥ ਕੇ ਨਾਥ
पतित उधारन भै हरन हरि अनाथ के नाथ ॥
Paṯiṯ uḏẖāran bẖai haran har anāth ke nāth.
He is the Saving Grace of sinners, the Destroyer of fear, the Master of the masterless.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਿਹ ਜਾਨੀਐ ਸਦਾ ਬਸਤੁ ਤੁਮ ਸਾਥਿ ॥੬॥
कहु नानक तिह जानीऐ सदा बसतु तुम साथि ॥६॥
Kaho Nānak ṯih jānī▫ai saḏā basaṯ ṯum sāth. ||6||
Says Nanak, realize and know Him, who is always with you. ||6||

ਤਨੁ ਧਨੁ ਜਿਹ ਤੋ ਕਉ ਦੀਓ ਤਾਂ ਸਿਉ ਨੇਹੁ ਕੀਨ
तनु धनु जिह तो कउ दीओ तां सिउ नेहु न कीन ॥
Ŧan ḏẖan jih ṯo ka▫o ḏī▫o ṯāʼn si▫o nehu na kīn.
He has given you your body and wealth, but you are not in love with Him.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਰ ਬਾਵਰੇ ਅਬ ਕਿਉ ਡੋਲਤ ਦੀਨ ॥੭॥
कहु नानक नर बावरे अब किउ डोलत दीन ॥७॥
Kaho Nānak nar bāvre ab ki▫o dolaṯ ḏīn. ||7||
Says Nanak, you are insane! Why do you now shake and tremble so helplessly? ||7||

ਤਨੁ ਧਨੁ ਸੰਪੈ ਸੁਖ ਦੀਓ ਅਰੁ ਜਿਹ ਨੀਕੇ ਧਾਮ
तनु धनु स्मपै सुख दीओ अरु जिह नीके धाम ॥
Ŧan ḏẖan sampai sukẖ ḏī▫o ar jih nīke ḏẖām.
He has given you your body, wealth, property, peace and beautiful mansions.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੁਨੁ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਕਾਹਿ ਰਾਮੁ ॥੮॥
कहु नानक सुनु रे मना सिमरत काहि न रामु ॥८॥
Kaho Nānak sun re manā simraṯ kāhi na rām. ||8||
Says Nanak, listen, mind: why don't you remember the Lord in meditation? ||8||

ਸਭ ਸੁਖ ਦਾਤਾ ਰਾਮੁ ਹੈ ਦੂਸਰ ਨਾਹਿਨ ਕੋਇ
सभ सुख दाता रामु है दूसर नाहिन कोइ ॥
Sabẖ sukẖ ḏāṯā rām hai ḏūsar nāhin ko▫e.
The Lord is the Giver of all peace and comfort. There is no other at all.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੁਨਿ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਤਿਹ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਗਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥੯॥
कहु नानक सुनि रे मना तिह सिमरत गति होइ ॥९॥
Kaho Nānak sun re manā ṯih simraṯ gaṯ ho▫e. ||9||
Says Nanak, listen, mind: meditating in remembrance on Him, salvation is attained. ||9||

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Ang 149

ਪਉੜੀ
पउड़ी ॥
Pa▫oṛī.
Pauree:

ਚਾਰੇ ਕੁੰਡਾ ਦੇਖਿ ਅੰਦਰੁ ਭਾਲਿਆ
चारे कुंडा देखि अंदरु भालिआ ॥
Cẖāre kundā ḏekẖ anḏar bẖāli▫ā.
After looking around in the four directions, I looked within my own self.

ਸਚੈ ਪੁਰਖਿ ਅਲਖਿ ਸਿਰਜਿ ਨਿਹਾਲਿਆ
सचै पुरखि अलखि सिरजि निहालिआ ॥
Sacẖai purakẖ alakẖ siraj nihāli▫ā.
There, I saw the True, Invisible Lord Creator.

ਉਝੜਿ ਭੁਲੇ ਰਾਹ ਗੁਰਿ ਵੇਖਾਲਿਆ
उझड़ि भुले राह गुरि वेखालिआ ॥
Ujẖaṛ bẖule rāh gur vekẖāli▫ā.
I was wandering in the wilderness, but now the Guru has shown me the Way.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸਚੇ ਵਾਹੁ ਸਚੁ ਸਮਾਲਿਆ
सतिगुर सचे वाहु सचु समालिआ ॥
Saṯgur sacẖe vāhu sacẖ samāli▫ā.
Hail to the True, True Guru, through whom we merge in the Truth.

ਪਾਇਆ ਰਤਨੁ ਘਰਾਹੁ ਦੀਵਾ ਬਾਲਿਆ
पाइआ रतनु घराहु दीवा बालिआ ॥
Pā▫i▫ā raṯan gẖarāhu ḏīvā bāli▫ā.
I have found the jewel within the home of my own self; the lamp within has been lit.

ਸਚੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਸਲਾਹਿ ਸੁਖੀਏ ਸਚ ਵਾਲਿਆ
सचै सबदि सलाहि सुखीए सच वालिआ ॥
Sacẖai sabaḏ salāhi sukẖī▫e sacẖ vāli▫ā.
Those who praise the True Word of the Shabad, abide in the peace of Truth.

ਨਿਡਰਿਆ ਡਰੁ ਲਗਿ ਗਰਬਿ ਸਿ ਗਾਲਿਆ
निडरिआ डरु लगि गरबि सि गालिआ ॥
Nidri▫ā dar lag garab sė gāli▫ā.
But those who do not have the Fear of God, are overtaken by fear. They are destroyed by their own pride.

ਨਾਵਹੁ ਭੁਲਾ ਜਗੁ ਫਿਰੈ ਬੇਤਾਲਿਆ ॥੨੪॥
नावहु भुला जगु फिरै बेतालिआ ॥२४॥
Nāvhu bẖulā jag firai beṯāli▫ā. ||24||
Having forgotten the Name, the world is roaming around like a wild demon. ||24||

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
Reading this reminded me of how much I miss SPN; as I've been preoccupied elsewise for the last two months. Still, even though I haven't had the time to read any more of the Gurdwara (is that the right word for the Sikh Scriptures? Forgive me if I'm wrong, for though I have been trying to learn more about the Sikhi - I'm a bit rusty), I have to make a comment here; as I promised God that I'd share what It once showed me.
In the West the word 'Eternity' is often used to convey the 'Heavenly Realm'; which, though this point is most often badly misunderstood - or left out altogether, is actually a very accurate way to describe the Place you go when you Die (which is the same place for all of us, no matter which - or whose - Guru you listen to).
If you read my Description of the Two Existential Experiences I've had (in Introducing Myself, and also mentioned in many of my other postings), then - providing you believe what happened was a Real Thing - you'll know that I believe that God opened the door to the nether realm just long enough for me to get a peak inside; as I'm handicapped by Pain, and the benefits of 'normal meditational practices' are denied to me by it - so I believe that God did this thing, to give me the chance to advance spiritually as much as i would have been able to do if I could 'Meditate Normally'.
While in that Formless State, Time became a kind of 'static thing' - it no longer seemed to be running from past to future; it just 'was'. Looking into the past or future was as easy as looking to the right or left; and, for an all to breif moment, I could see - and access the memories of - all my Past Lives.
When I awoke; there was a White Streak in my hair that hadn't been there before - so I BELIEVE, I MOST SURELY DO!
This 'eternity effect' (in which the term 'continuum' takes on a whole new meaning) has, due to it's hard to describe nature, led to many different - and most often somewhat confused - beliefs systems to adopt different Dogmas regarding this subject; though, at the root of the issue, I know that all of the Gurus (or Messiahs, or Prophets, or Mahatmas) of all of these different Religions got the same information from the same source.
The same Truth is True for all. I'd say that I wish I knew more about what the Sikh Gurus have to say about this, so I don't offend anyone; but it is that kind of taking offense over such misrepresentations of the same True Truth that has brought us to the Edge of Disaster - while the Band Plays On.
I hope you can see WHY I took a little time out to write this for you; for the most part, I find the Sikhi to be kindly and wise - but you could still use a little work on the openmindedness parts, as God Loves a Lover, and the best Sermons lead to Understanding rather than an excuse to behave devisively.:)

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Are we putting too much attention on our shadow?
As it is understood, without the real, the shadow would not exist.
Or maybe, do we know how to see ourselves?
I don't mean our shadow.

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
I was just pondering those who 'tremble in fear' as they approach Death; those who've lived their lives soley for the sake of their own vain selfish urges, who're suddenly facing the prospect of being Dead - without the precious possesions they've screwed everyone over to get, without the precious position, the (suddenly) meaningless Badges and Emblems, that allowed/enabled then to live so oppulently, so selfishly; and I thought of my Grandfather lying on his Deathbed.
He, the Wisest Man I've ever known (my Dad drank too much Booze), was 83; his Wife had passed on 12 years earlier; he'd had a Good Life; he'd raised two Daughters during the Depression on his Dairy, Egg, Chicken Farm; he'd been "The last man in Johnson County Nebraska to give my (his) Manure Spreader; which is why my (his) Farm may have dried up - but it didn't blow away (see: 'The Dust Bowl', 1930's America; if you don't know about it already); and when he was diagnosed with Terminal Cancer, he'd had a Hospital Bed - along with a Skilled Nurse - installed in his Living Room, then settled in to await Death.
He was utterly Calm, utterly Composed, completely At Peace.
As far as I know, he'd never attended a Church of any kind; but his belief in some kind of 'beyond' was palpable; as was his assurance in the idea that his having lived the kind of life that he'd led - based on such wisdom as, "If a Jobs worth doing, it's worth doing right!" - was going to lead him to be reunited with his beloved wife - somehow, someway.
If there's no 'knowing' as the end approaches; if the virtue of virtuosity does not become quite plain at that time; then I don't know how he could have faced his eminent Death so calmly.
Clearly the man had focused on both the shadow and the reality that cast it; as they are inseperable!
Therefore, namjap ji, I don't think it's possible to focus on one or the other too much!:D

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
JimRinX Ji,

I enjoy going thru your narrative terms and that actually makes me go thru the dictionary like I did for the Band Played On - depicted the sinking titanic making the distress calls seem unimportant.

Aad Ji,

Your explanation on Bhagat Kabir's Seloks fits in perfectly as well.
Quoted by aad0002
I knew what it meant but it took days to put into words. We, says Kabeer, are puppets, and as such we have no will or power of our own. We suffer from the problem of self-inflation. Made of earth and water, like puppets we crumble when our clay is dry, and turn to mush when it is wet. At the mercy of natural forces, we still dare to give ourselves a name "mankind" thinking to set ourselves apart from the rest of creation. We are guests of the universe, and the visit is short, yet we dare to believe that we can dominate the space and time that we do not own.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
More Excerpts from What Becomes Of The Soul After Death

The Charvakas and materialists hold that the combination of matter or body produces thought, intelligence, consciousness, mind and soul, and that consciousness, etc., last so long as the body lasts. They believe that thought or intelligence or consciousness is a function or secretion of the brain, just as bile is a secretion of the liver. Very strange indeed! Combination of atoms and molecules can never generate thought, intelligence or consciousness. Motion cannot produce sensation, ideas and thoughts. Consciousness or intelligence is verily not an act of motion. No scientist can prove that matter or force has ever produced consciousness or intelligence. The Charvakas and the materialists are deluding themselves by various false arguments. They have lost their power of discrimination on account of sensual indulgence. They have not got the subtle pure intellect to discern things in their proper light. Consciousness, intelligence and bliss are the attributes of the Universal Soul. This body is constantly changing. This physical body, which is a combination of the five elements, will be destroyed. But the eternal Soul which is the basis, substratum and source for matter, energy, mind will ever remain. The sense of ‘I’ will continue to exist even after this body perishes. You can never think or imagine that you do not exist after the body is destroyed. There is an innate feeling in you that you do exist after the body is gone. This proves that there is an immortal soul independent of the body. The soul can never be demonstrated, but its existence can be inferred by certain empirical facts.
The innate question: “What remains after death? What becomes of the soul after the death of the body? Where is he gone? Does he still exist?” spontaneously arises in all minds. This is a momentous question which touches the hearts of all deeply. The same question arises today in all people of all countries, as it arose thousands of years ago. No one can stop this. The same question is discussed today and it will be discussed in the future also. From ancient times, philosophers, sages, saints, Yogins, thinkers, Swamis, metaphysicians and prophets have tried their best to solve this great problem.
When you lead a life of luxury, when you are rolling in wealth, you forget it. But the moment you see that one of your dearest relations is snatched away by the cruel hand of death you are struck with awe and wonder and begin to reflect within yourself. “Where is he gone? Does he still exist? Is there a soul independent of body? He cannot be totally annihilated. His impressions of thoughts and actions cannot die.”
The seers of Upanishads boldly declared with emphasis on account of their intuitive realisation that there is One All-pervading Immortal Soul, Self-luminous, All-Blissful, Birthless, Decayless, Deathless, Timeless, Spaceless, Thoughtless, and that the individual soul is identical with this Supreme Soul when his limiting adjuncts such as body and mind are dissolved when he is freed from ignorance through knowledge of the Imperishable Soul. Soul is the Inner Ruler and Director of the mind, Prana and senses. Mind borrows its light from the soul.
Soul is beyond the realm of physical science. Soul is beyond the reach of material science. Man is a soul wearing a physical body. Soul is extremely subtle. It is subtler than ether, mind and energy. Consciousness, intelligence are of the soul and not of the body. Consciousness is evidence of the existence of the soul. Personality of man is a brief, partial manifestation of the Immortal, All-pervading, Indivisible Soul or Atman or Brahman. Soul is the immortal part in man. O ignorant man, who has been led astray by the study of those books which deny the existence of an Immortal Soul, wake up now from the slumber of ignorance. Open your eyes. You have already reserved a seat for you in hell and obtained a direct passport to this dark region by study of heaven-closing worthless books. Burn these books at once, and study the Gita and the Upanishads. Do Japa, Kirtan and meditation regularly and thoroughly overhaul your wrong Samskaras. Then only you are saved from destruction.
Do not identify with this body. You are not this perishable body. You are the Immortal Soul. Identify yourself with the soul. “Tat Tvam Asi—Thou art That”. Feel this. Realise this and be free.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
More Excerpts from What Becomes Of The Soul After Death

The Charvakas and materialists hold that the combination of matter or body produces thought, intelligence, consciousness, mind and soul, and that consciousness, etc., last so long as the body lasts. They believe that thought or intelligence or consciousness is a function or secretion of the brain, just as bile is a secretion of the liver. Very strange indeed! Combination of atoms and molecules can never generate thought, intelligence or consciousness. Motion cannot produce sensation, ideas and thoughts. Consciousness or intelligence is verily not an act of motion. No scientist can prove that matter or force has ever produced consciousness or intelligence. The Charvakas and the materialists are deluding themselves by various false arguments. They have lost their power of discrimination on account of sensual indulgence. They have not got the subtle pure intellect to discern things in their proper light. Consciousness, intelligence and bliss are the attributes of the Universal Soul. This body is constantly changing. This physical body, which is a combination of the five elements, will be destroyed. But the eternal Soul which is the basis, substratum and source for matter, energy, mind will ever remain. The sense of ‘I’ will continue to exist even after this body perishes. You can never think or imagine that you do not exist after the body is destroyed. There is an innate feeling in you that you do exist after the body is gone. This proves that there is an immortal soul independent of the body. The soul can never be demonstrated, but its existence can be inferred by certain empirical facts.
The innate question: “What remains after death? What becomes of the soul after the death of the body? Where is he gone? Does he still exist?” spontaneously arises in all minds. This is a momentous question which touches the hearts of all deeply. The same question arises today in all people of all countries, as it arose thousands of years ago. No one can stop this. The same question is discussed today and it will be discussed in the future also. From ancient times, philosophers, sages, saints, Yogins, thinkers, Swamis, metaphysicians and prophets have tried their best to solve this great problem.
When you lead a life of luxury, when you are rolling in wealth, you forget it. But the moment you see that one of your dearest relations is snatched away by the cruel hand of death you are struck with awe and wonder and begin to reflect within yourself. “Where is he gone? Does he still exist? Is there a soul independent of body? He cannot be totally annihilated. His impressions of thoughts and actions cannot die.”
The seers of Upanishads boldly declared with emphasis on account of their intuitive realisation that there is One All-pervading Immortal Soul, Self-luminous, All-Blissful, Birthless, Decayless, Deathless, Timeless, Spaceless, Thoughtless, and that the individual soul is identical with this Supreme Soul when his limiting adjuncts such as body and mind are dissolved when he is freed from ignorance through knowledge of the Imperishable Soul. Soul is the Inner Ruler and Director of the mind, Prana and senses. Mind borrows its light from the soul.
Soul is beyond the realm of physical science. Soul is beyond the reach of material science. Man is a soul wearing a physical body. Soul is extremely subtle. It is subtler than ether, mind and energy. Consciousness, intelligence are of the soul and not of the body. Consciousness is evidence of the existence of the soul. Personality of man is a brief, partial manifestation of the Immortal, All-pervading, Indivisible Soul or Atman or Brahman. Soul is the immortal part in man. O ignorant man, who has been led astray by the study of those books which deny the existence of an Immortal Soul, wake up now from the slumber of ignorance. Open your eyes. You have already reserved a seat for you in hell and obtained a direct passport to this dark region by study of heaven-closing worthless books. Burn these books at once, and study the Gita and the Upanishads. Do Japa, Kirtan and meditation regularly and thoroughly overhaul your wrong Samskaras. Then only you are saved from destruction.
Do not identify with this body. You are not this perishable body. You are the Immortal Soul. Identify yourself with the soul. “Tat Tvam Asi—Thou art That”. Feel this. Realise this and be free.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Ang 1427

ਪਾਂਚ ਤਤ ਕੋ ਤਨੁ ਰਚਿਓ ਜਾਨਹੁ ਚਤੁਰ ਸੁਜਾਨ
पांच तत को तनु रचिओ जानहु चतुर सुजान ॥
Pāʼncẖ ṯaṯ ko ṯan racẖi▫o jānhu cẖaṯur sujān.
Your body is made up of the five elements; you are clever and wise - know this well.

ਜਿਹ ਤੇ ਉਪਜਿਓ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਲੀਨ ਤਾਹਿ ਮੈ ਮਾਨੁ ॥੧੧॥
जिह ते उपजिओ नानका लीन ताहि मै मानु ॥११॥
Jih ṯe upji▫o nānkā līn ṯāhi mai mān. ||11||
Believe it - you shall merge once again into the One, O Nanak, from whom you originated. ||11||

ਘਟ ਘਟ ਮੈ ਹਰਿ ਜੂ ਬਸੈ ਸੰਤਨ ਕਹਿਓ ਪੁਕਾਰਿ
घट घट मै हरि जू बसै संतन कहिओ पुकारि ॥
Gẖat gẖat mai har jū basai sanṯan kahi▫o pukār.
The Dear Lord abides in each and every heart; the Saints proclaim this as true.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਿਹ ਭਜੁ ਮਨਾ ਭਉ ਨਿਧਿ ਉਤਰਹਿ ਪਾਰਿ ॥੧੨॥
कहु नानक तिह भजु मना भउ निधि उतरहि पारि ॥१२॥
Kaho Nānak ṯih bẖaj manā bẖa▫o niḏẖ uṯrėh pār. ||12||
Says Nanak, meditate and vibrate upon Him, and you shall cross over the terrifying world-ocean. ||12||

ਸੁਖੁ ਦੁਖੁ ਜਿਹ ਪਰਸੈ ਨਹੀ ਲੋਭੁ ਮੋਹੁ ਅਭਿਮਾਨੁ
सुखु दुखु जिह परसै नही लोभु मोहु अभिमानु ॥
Sukẖ ḏukẖ jih parsai nahī lobẖ moh abẖimān.
One who is not touched by pleasure or pain, greed, emotional attachment and egotistical pride -

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੁਨੁ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਸੋ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਭਗਵਾਨ ॥੧੩॥
कहु नानक सुनु रे मना सो मूरति भगवान ॥१३॥
Kaho Nānak sun re manā so mūraṯ bẖagvān. ||13||
says Nanak, listen, mind: he is the very image of God. ||13||

ਉਸਤਤਿ ਨਿੰਦਿਆ ਨਾਹਿ ਜਿਹਿ ਕੰਚਨ ਲੋਹ ਸਮਾਨਿ
उसतति निंदिआ नाहि जिहि कंचन लोह समानि ॥
Usṯaṯ ninḏi▫ā nāhi jihi kancẖan loh samān.
One who is beyond praise and slander, who looks upon gold and iron alike -

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੁਨਿ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਤਾਹਿ ਤੈ ਜਾਨਿ ॥੧੪॥
कहु नानक सुनि रे मना मुकति ताहि तै जानि ॥१४॥
Kaho Nānak sun re manā mukaṯ ṯāhi ṯai jān. ||14||
says Nanak, listen, mind: know that such a person is liberated. ||14||

ਹਰਖੁ ਸੋਗੁ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਨਹੀ ਬੈਰੀ ਮੀਤ ਸਮਾਨਿ
हरखु सोगु जा कै नही बैरी मीत समानि ॥
Harakẖ sog jā kai nahī bairī mīṯ samān.
One who is not affected by pleasure or pain, who looks upon friend and enemy alike -

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੁਨਿ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਤਾਹਿ ਤੈ ਜਾਨਿ ॥੧੫॥
कहु नानक सुनि रे मना मुकति ताहि तै जानि ॥१५॥
Kaho Nānak sun re manā mukaṯ ṯāhi ṯai jān. ||15||
says Nanak, listen, mind: know that such a person is liberated. ||15||

ਭੈ ਕਾਹੂ ਕਉ ਦੇਤ ਨਹਿ ਨਹਿ ਭੈ ਮਾਨਤ ਆਨ
भै काहू कउ देत नहि नहि भै मानत आन ॥
Bẖai kāhū ka▫o ḏeṯ nėh nėh bẖai mānaṯ ān.
One who does not frighten anyone, and who is not afraid of anyone else -

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੁਨਿ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਤਾਹਿ ਬਖਾਨਿ ॥੧੬॥
कहु नानक सुनि रे मना गिआनी ताहि बखानि ॥१६॥
Kaho Nānak sun re manā gi▫ānī ṯāhi bakẖān. ||16||
says Nanak, listen, mind: call him spiritually wise. ||16||

ਜਿਹਿ ਬਿਖਿਆ ਸਗਲੀ ਤਜੀ ਲੀਓ ਭੇਖ ਬੈਰਾਗ
जिहि बिखिआ सगली तजी लीओ भेख बैराग ॥
Jihi bikẖi▫ā saglī ṯajī lī▫o bẖekẖ bairāg.
One who has forsaken all sin and corruption, who wears the robes of neutral detachment -

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੁਨੁ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਤਿਹ ਨਰ ਮਾਥੈ ਭਾਗੁ ॥੧੭॥
कहु नानक सुनु रे मना तिह नर माथै भागु ॥१७॥
Kaho Nānak sun re manā ṯih nar māthai bẖāg. ||17||
says Nanak, listen, mind: good destiny is written on his forehead. ||17||

ਜਿਹਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਮਮਤਾ ਤਜੀ ਸਭ ਤੇ ਭਇਓ ਉਦਾਸੁ
जिहि माइआ ममता तजी सभ ते भइओ उदासु ॥
Jihi mā▫i▫ā mamṯā ṯajī sabẖ ṯe bẖa▫i▫o uḏās.
One who renounces Maya and possessiveness and is detached from everything -

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੁਨੁ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਤਿਹ ਘਟਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਨਿਵਾਸੁ ॥੧੮॥
कहु नानक सुनु रे मना तिह घटि ब्रहम निवासु ॥१८॥
Kaho Nānak sun re manā ṯih gẖat barahm nivās. ||18||
says Nanak, listen, mind: God abides in his heart. ||18||

ਜਿਹਿ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਹਉਮੈ ਤਜੀ ਕਰਤਾ ਰਾਮੁ ਪਛਾਨਿ
जिहि प्रानी हउमै तजी करता रामु पछानि ॥
Jihi parānī ha▫umai ṯajī karṯā rām pacẖẖān.
That mortal, who forsakes egotism, and realizes the Creator Lord -

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਵਹੁ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨਰੁ ਇਹ ਮਨ ਸਾਚੀ ਮਾਨੁ ॥੧੯॥
कहु नानक वहु मुकति नरु इह मन साची मानु ॥१९॥
Kaho Nānak vahu mukaṯ nar ih man sācẖī mān. ||19||
says Nanak, that person is liberated; O mind, know this as true. ||19||

ਭੈ ਨਾਸਨ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਹਰਨ ਕਲਿ ਮੈ ਹਰਿ ਕੋ ਨਾਮੁ
भै नासन दुरमति हरन कलि मै हरि को नामु ॥
Bẖai nāsan ḏurmaṯ haran kal mai har ko nām.
In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, the Name of the Lord is the Destroyer of fear, the Eradicator of evil-mindedness.

ਨਿਸਿ ਦਿਨੁ ਜੋ ਨਾਨਕ ਭਜੈ ਸਫਲ ਹੋਹਿ ਤਿਹ ਕਾਮ ॥੨੦॥
निसि दिनु जो नानक भजै सफल होहि तिह काम ॥२०॥
Nis ḏin jo Nānak bẖajai safal hohi ṯih kām. ||20||
Night and day, O Nanak, whoever vibrates and meditates on the Lord's Name, sees all of his works brought to fruition. ||20||

ਜਿਹਬਾ ਗੁਨ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਭਜਹੁ ਕਰਨ ਸੁਨਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ
जिहबा गुन गोबिंद भजहु करन सुनहु हरि नामु ॥
Jihbā gun gobinḏ bẖajahu karan sunhu har nām.
Vibrate with your tongue the Glorious Praises of the Lord of the Universe; with your ears, hear the Lord's Name.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੁਨਿ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਪਰਹਿ ਜਮ ਕੈ ਧਾਮ ॥੨੧॥
कहु नानक सुनि रे मना परहि न जम कै धाम ॥२१॥
Kaho Nānak sun re manā parėh na jam kai ḏẖām. ||21||
Says Nanak, listen, man: you shall not have to go to the house of Death. ||21||

ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਮਮਤਾ ਤਜੈ ਲੋਭ ਮੋਹ ਅਹੰਕਾਰ
जो प्रानी ममता तजै लोभ मोह अहंकार ॥
Jo parānī mamṯā ṯajai lobẖ moh ahaʼnkār.
That mortal who renounces possessiveness, greed, emotional attachment and egotism -

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਆਪਨ ਤਰੈ ਅਉਰਨ ਲੇਤ ਉਧਾਰ ॥੨੨॥
कहु नानक आपन तरै अउरन लेत उधार ॥२२॥
Kaho Nānak āpan ṯarai a▫uran leṯ uḏẖār. ||22||
says Nanak, he himself is saved, and he saves many others as well. ||22||

ਜਿਉ ਸੁਪਨਾ ਅਰੁ ਪੇਖਨਾ ਐਸੇ ਜਗ ਕਉ ਜਾਨਿ
जिउ सुपना अरु पेखना ऐसे जग कउ जानि ॥
Ji▫o supnā ar pekẖnā aise jag ka▫o jān.
Like a dream and a show, so is this world, you must know.

ਇਨ ਮੈ ਕਛੁ ਸਾਚੋ ਨਹੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਨੁ ਭਗਵਾਨ ॥੨੩॥
इन मै कछु साचो नही नानक बिनु भगवान ॥२३॥
In mai kacẖẖ sācẖo nahī Nānak bin bẖagvān. ||23||
None of this is true, O Nanak, without God. ||23||

ਨਿਸਿ ਦਿਨੁ ਮਾਇਆ ਕਾਰਨੇ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਡੋਲਤ ਨੀਤ
निसि दिनु माइआ कारने प्रानी डोलत नीत ॥
Nis ḏin mā▫i▫ā kārne parānī dolaṯ nīṯ.
Night and day, for the sake of Maya, the mortal wanders constantly.

ਕੋਟਨ ਮੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੋਊ ਨਾਰਾਇਨੁ ਜਿਹ ਚੀਤਿ ॥੨੪॥
कोटन मै नानक कोऊ नाराइनु जिह चीति ॥२४॥
Kotan mai Nānak ko▫ū nārā▫in jih cẖīṯ. ||24||
Among millions, O Nanak, there is scarcely anyone, who keeps the Lord in his consciousness. ||24||

ਜੈਸੇ ਜਲ ਤੇ ਬੁਦਬੁਦਾ ਉਪਜੈ ਬਿਨਸੈ ਨੀਤ
जैसे जल ते बुदबुदा उपजै बिनसै नीत ॥
Jaise jal ṯe buḏbuḏā upjai binsai nīṯ.
As the bubbles in the water well up and disappear again,

ਜਗ ਰਚਨਾ ਤੈਸੇ ਰਚੀ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੁਨਿ ਮੀਤ ॥੨੫॥
जग रचना तैसे रची कहु नानक सुनि मीत ॥२५॥
Jag racẖnā ṯaise racẖī kaho Nānak sun mīṯ. ||25||
so is the universe created; says Nanak, listen, O my friend! ||25||

ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਕਛੂ ਚੇਤਈ ਮਦਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਕੈ ਅੰਧੁ
प्रानी कछू न चेतई मदि माइआ कै अंधु ॥
Parānī kacẖẖū na cẖeṯ▫ī maḏ mā▫i▫ā kai anḏẖ.
The mortal does not remember the Lord, even for a moment; he is blinded by the wine of Maya.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਭਜਨ ਪਰਤ ਤਾਹਿ ਜਮ ਫੰਧ ॥੨੬॥
कहु नानक बिनु हरि भजन परत ताहि जम फंध ॥२६॥
Kaho Nānak bin har bẖajan paraṯ ṯāhi jam fanḏẖ. ||26||
Says Nanak, without meditating on the Lord, he is caught by the noose of Death. ||26||

ਜਉ ਸੁਖ ਕਉ ਚਾਹੈ ਸਦਾ ਸਰਨਿ ਰਾਮ ਕੀ ਲੇਹ
जउ सुख कउ चाहै सदा सरनि राम की लेह ॥
Ja▫o sukẖ ka▫o cẖāhai saḏā saran rām kī leh.
If you yearn for eternal peace, then seek the Sanctuary of the Lord.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੁਨਿ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਦੁਰਲਭ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਦੇਹ ॥੨੭॥
कहु नानक सुनि रे मना दुरलभ मानुख देह ॥२७॥
Kaho Nānak sun re manā ḏurlabẖ mānukẖ ḏeh. ||27||
Says Nanak, listen, mind: this human body is difficult to obtain. ||27||

ਮਾਇਆ ਕਾਰਨਿ ਧਾਵਹੀ ਮੂਰਖ ਲੋਗ ਅਜਾਨ
माइआ कारनि धावही मूरख लोग अजान ॥
Mā▫i▫ā kāran ḏẖāvhī mūrakẖ log ajān.
For the sake of Maya, the fools and ignorant people run all around.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਭਜਨ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਜਨਮੁ ਸਿਰਾਨ ॥੨੮॥
कहु नानक बिनु हरि भजन बिरथा जनमु सिरान ॥२८॥
Kaho Nānak bin har bẖajan birthā janam sirān. ||28||
Says Nanak, without meditating on the Lord, life passes away uselessly. ||28||

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
:hmm: I have another question. In Punjabi when a person dies, he is said to have done "Akaal Chalana". Another phrase is "Dunia chad giaa hai". In Malay it is said that he has "meninggal dunia" - left the world.

This is my question: If Soul and Body are separated, how can the Soul depart? Because Soul is always Here and Now and permanent. It is the body that goes away because it is impermanent.

Comments are welcomed!

Imho..in Anand Sahib Ji..Guur Amardass Ji says..Taan tu jaag mehn aiyah....You arrived in this WORLD..when the Creator placed His JYOT within YOU.
So when the JYOT departs...the lifeless body is left behind....THE JYOT may/may not be "HERE" ( on this earth )..BUT its Definitely NOT in the BODY..the SREER...the Harmandir is Empty.
Baba bolteh theh kahan gayeh ?? Where ?? No body knows...
Just now..the speaking voice is SILENT...the beating heart is still...the lifeless body is ready for...destruction....cremation/burial..etc.
Gurbani says clearly..rays of the sun have merged back with teh Light-Source..the water has merged with the ocean...and the air with the air..and the Spirit gone...
The Ultimate SECRET that God has kept from us ALL>

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Ang 203

ਗਉੜੀ ਮਹਲਾ
गउड़ी महला ५ ॥
Ga▫oṛī mėhlā 5.
Gauree, Fifth Mehl:

ਭੁਜ ਬਲ ਬੀਰ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ ਗਰਤ ਪਰਤ ਗਹਿ ਲੇਹੁ ਅੰਗੁਰੀਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
भुज बल बीर ब्रहम सुख सागर गरत परत गहि लेहु अंगुरीआ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Bẖuj bal bīr barahm sukẖ sāgar garaṯ paraṯ gėh leho angurī▫ā. ||1|| rahā▫o.
O Brave and Powerful God, Ocean of Peace, I fell into the pit - please, take my hand. ||1||Pause||

ਸ੍ਰਵਨਿ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਨੈਨ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਨਹੀ ਆਰਤ ਦੁਆਰਿ ਰਟਤ ਪਿੰਗੁਰੀਆ ॥੧॥
स्रवनि न सुरति नैन सुंदर नही आरत दुआरि रटत पिंगुरीआ ॥१॥
Sarvan na suraṯ nain sunḏar nahī āraṯ ḏu▫ār rataṯ pingurī▫ā. ||1||
My ears do not hear, and my eyes are not beautiful. I am in such pain; I am a poor cripple, crying at Your Door. ||1||

ਦੀਨਾ ਨਾਥ ਅਨਾਥ ਕਰੁਣਾ ਮੈ ਸਾਜਨ ਮੀਤ ਪਿਤਾ ਮਹਤਰੀਆ
दीना नाथ अनाथ करुणा मै साजन मीत पिता महतरीआ ॥
Ḏīnā nāth anāth karuṇā mai sājan mīṯ piṯā mahaṯrī▫ā.
O Master of the poor and helpless, O Embodiment of Compassion, You are my Friend and Intimate, my Father and Mother.

ਚਰਨ ਕਵਲ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਗਹਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਭੈ ਸਾਗਰ ਸੰਤ ਪਾਰਿ ਉਤਰੀਆ ॥੨॥੨॥੧੧੫॥
चरन कवल हिरदै गहि नानक भै सागर संत पारि उतरीआ ॥२॥२॥११५॥
Cẖaran kaval hirḏai gėh Nānak bẖai sāgar sanṯ pār uṯrī▫ā. ||2||2||115||
Nanak holds tight to the Lord's Lotus Feet in his heart; thus the Saints cross over the terrifying world-ocean. ||2||2||115||

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
My own Blessed experience with Thuriya (I think that's probably the best word for it), as well as my knowledge of things like String and 'Brane/Bulk' Theories (both regard Quantum Physics), has led me to believe that - to the Spirit - the entire Universe seems to be 'compressed' into a kind of two-dimensional state; a state in which Time becomes a river you can travel up or down; as state in which the very concept of being 'here' or 'there' loses all meaning!
To slip free from the Mortal Coil - and become 'one' with a LAKE; to FEEL the Fishes, the Ducks, the Reeds in the swamp, the Worms in the muck at the bottom - as if they were a part of you, like a bit of gas pasing through your intestines or a pen between your fingers.....words fail me!
To look up and see the Universe above in a Whole New Way; to shoot up into Space - like some kind of Super Trans-Warp Drive Spaceship - and hover above the Galaxy! To see the Stars for what they really are - Living Beings in their own right!
Ever read Sir Arthiur C. Clarks '2001: A Space Odessey' - or, better yet, 'Childhoods End'?
Do so; He was obviously ONE OF US!!!! Don't judge the former by the Movie alone; only the book explains what was really going on - and I think he was Dead On!

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
A blind man whose eyes got operated was told that he would be able to see the world when his bandages have been removed. When he got to see for the first time, he did not feel the 3D effect. Instead he felt that everything was touching his eyes.

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
Namjap ji.
What I was 'seeing' in the 'transcended state' (again, maybe not the right choice of word; I was in the 'bardo' - the 'formless realm' - and when I 'awoke', I had a White Streak in my hair that hadn't been there before - so I know I was not having some kind of 'halucination') - I was not 'seeing' with my EYES!
What I was 'hearing', I was not hearing with my EARS!
When I was 'talking', I was not using my MOUTH!
Thus, even though his eyes had been covered with bandages, even if his tongue had been cut out and his ear drums ruptured, this Man would still have been able to experience the things I did - in all it's GLORY!!!:yes:
Still; it's both a Curse and a Blessing. How hard it is, sometimes, to walk in a World so.....after seeing IT! How it COULD BE! The FOOLISHNESS of Mortal Men!
Arrrrgh!:rofl!!:
(By the way, I'm still far from 'perfect' - which is also why I say it's a 'curse' and a 'blessing'!)
It's very hard to express the experience in words! One does not 'talk' to God - one 'Communes' (like some kind of telepathy; whole thoughts - images, emotions, everything - are transfered all at once. Very Awesome!) with God.
I see what you're saying, my friend; I still kind of stumble whenever I to try and descibe it all.
I do, however, disagree that Science cannot relate to the experience; I think it can be explained with what's called 'Brane-Bulk Theory', as well as the Ten Dimensional Space of String Theory.
Whatever the case, it's like the Dali Lama says in the Path to Freedom; the Clear Light (soul, spirit, etc.) can traverse vast distances at a whim - it can shrink down to the size of an Atom, or expand to the size of a Galaxy. I'll try to write more later.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
JimRinX Ji,

SGGS has what you've explained.
Congrats to you for your realization.
No wonder why you're attracted to Sikhism.

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮਃ
सलोकु मः २ ॥
Salok mėhlā 2.
Shalok, Second Mehl:

ਅਖੀ ਬਾਝਹੁ ਵੇਖਣਾ ਵਿਣੁ ਕੰਨਾ ਸੁਨਣਾ
अखी बाझहु वेखणा विणु कंना सुनणा ॥
Akẖī bājẖahu vekẖ▫ṇā viṇ kanna sunṇā.
To see without eyes; to hear without ears;

ਪੈਰਾ ਬਾਝਹੁ ਚਲਣਾ ਵਿਣੁ ਹਥਾ ਕਰਣਾ
पैरा बाझहु चलणा विणु हथा करणा ॥
Pairā bājẖahu cẖalṇā viṇ hathā karṇā.
to walk without feet; to work without hands;

ਜੀਭੈ ਬਾਝਹੁ ਬੋਲਣਾ ਇਉ ਜੀਵਤ ਮਰਣਾ
जीभै बाझहु बोलणा इउ जीवत मरणा ॥
Jībẖai bājẖahu bolṇā i▫o jīvaṯ marṇā.
to speak without a tongue-like this, one remains dead while yet alive.

ਨਾਨਕ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਪਛਾਣਿ ਕੈ ਤਉ ਖਸਮੈ ਮਿਲਣਾ ॥੧॥
नानक हुकमु पछाणि कै तउ खसमै मिलणा ॥१॥
Nānak hukam pacẖẖāṇ kai ṯa▫o kẖasmai milṇā. ||1||
O Nanak, recognize the Hukam of the Lord's Command, and merge with your Lord and Master. ||1||

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
namjap ji
Amen! And Thank You! That IS INDEED why Sikhism was so atractive to me. In fact, if I'd known more about Sikhism at the time, the Lord might have suggested a Sikh Guru as a 'Good Example' and a 'Person who will aver what I've shown you, if you are ever challenged by another'.
My Faith was so strong afterwards that I seldom read Holy Books - as it would seem kind of 'disrespectful', as if I were 'questioning' what I was shown; but I did find a kindered spirit in the Dali Lama - who the Lord did recommend, and in whose Books I've found descriptions of what happened that jibe nicely with my experiences.
Now that I know Sikhism, Buddhism, and Hinduism all contain Large Nuggets of The Truest Truth within their teachings, I'll be looking into all of them more thoroughly; as I became disabled in 2000, and I often wonder if it was my 'Dharma' to have had such a thing happen to me - since, perhaps, I should be Teaching Others!
Know this; if it is possible to 'unite' all the various Faiths under one banner, that is what The Lord would want me to do (Shhhh! Don't tell the Muslims! You know how they get when they start thinking your talking about a 'post-Islamic World'! Though I still Love them, too! I have NO CHOICE!)
I'm also Proud of Tenzin (The Dali Lama) for having declaired the pursuit and perfection of ones Scientific Knowledge to be as important as ones Spiritual Knowledge, too. He really 'trumped' the Pope.
Before I leave this Library, I will have checked out more books on Sikhism!
Thank You Again, namjap ji!:eek:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: