• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

I've Been Engaging On Other Forums

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
I have found many of them very hostile to exegesis, I believe it is important to engage with people we disagree with or with those who disagree with me.. I think it is important to do this as otherwise I would be surrounded by like minded sycophants with whom I generally have a lot in common..

What do other people think?

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
Agreed, its extremely important to engage with people who may disagree with oneself - as Sikhs we are supposed to be perpetual students, seekers of truth. In order to accomplish this, it is vital to be exposed to and entertain alternate perspectives. Otherwise, we will trap ourselves in our own usual loops of thinking. Our personal growth and development can come to a standstill. We will become biased.

Open-mindedness is key. We may not have to agree with what someone else is saying, however, it is important to give good thought to what others have to say. And once we have thoroughly evaluated their point, we can decide what to do with that - to accept it or dismiss is or integrate it into our own world view. There isn't just one way to think or live. Its best to keep evolving our minds.

Through interacting with others, being open to other ways of life and other perspectives, we grow ourselves. Not only can we develop our intellect, but we can also become more empathetic. It can also bring our own hidden biases, subjectivity, and ignorance to the surface, and give us an opportunity to open our eyes wider and work on improving ourselves. No one knows it all. There is so much we can learn from each other. With many things in life there is no certain right or wrong answer, nothing is black and white. Closed mindedness ultimately leads to stagnation, rigidness, and intolerance.

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Agreed, its extremely important to engage with people who may disagree with oneself - as Sikhs we are supposed to be perpetual students, seekers of truth. In order to accomplish this, it is vital to be exposed to and entertain alternate perspectives. Otherwise, we will trap ourselves in our own usual loops of thinking. Our personal growth and development can come to a standstill. We will become biased.

Open-mindedness is key. We may not have to agree with what someone else is saying, however, it is important to give good thought to what others have to say. And once we have thoroughly evaluated their point, we can decide what to do with that - to accept it or dismiss is or integrate it into our own world view. There isn't just one way to think or live. Its best to keep evolving our minds.

Through interacting with others, being open to other ways of life and other perspectives, we grow ourselves. Not only can we develop our intellect, but we can also become more empathetic. It can also bring our own hidden biases, subjectivity, and ignorance to the surface, and give us an opportunity to open our eyes wider and work on improving ourselves. No one knows it all. There is so much we can learn from each other. With many things in life there is no certain right or wrong answer, nothing is black and white. Closed mindedness ultimately leads to stagnation, rigidness, and intolerance.
Why is it then many of us to not challenge or question more vocally the Sikh groups who promote a very different version of sikhi discussed here?

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
Why is it then many of us to not challenge or question more vocally the Sikh groups who promote a very different version of sikhi discussed here?

Hmm perhaps none of us really know the exact answers, so we allow everyone to believe what they want? We are all trying to learn together....perhaps we quietly contemplate to ourselves, but are too uncomfortable voicing differing opinions to other? Or maybe trying to be too polite?

Also we live in an odd culture....its like people will either say nothing, or fight if they disagree with someone. Perhaps none of us have really mastered the art of true open discussion, of true conversation and open exchange of ideas. Maybe we are all afraid of criticism.

Albeit, I'd day this forum is generally healthy, and there are many different ideas that get put out there, and we do challenge one another.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
I was on another forum recently and I was banned very quickly because I basically asked the moderators to be impartial. They basically were allowing open bashing of one jatha by members (things like calling AKJ 'Pakhand Kirtan Jatha' were allowed with no warnings to those posters while merely stating the obvious- that those same members who considered themselves part of that other jatha were showing hatred and superiority in their posts - was considered 'jatha hate mongering' and was moderated) so their 'staff' as it were are not interested in discussion between people who disagree on issues in sikhi but rather pushing only one agenda. Because I openly posed asking the staff to be impartial and that if they were truly against jatha hate mongering then they would also moderate and warn posters saying things against the other jathas... that got me banned without warning.

So no I don't tend to go to those other sites. One track minds...

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Hmm perhaps none of us really know the exact answers, so we allow everyone to believe what they want? We are all trying to learn together....perhaps we quietly contemplate to ourselves, but are too uncomfortable voicing differing opinions to other? Or maybe trying to be too polite?

Also we live in an odd culture....its like people will either say nothing, or fight if they disagree with someone. Perhaps none of us have really mastered the art of true open discussion, of true conversation and open exchange of ideas. Maybe we are all afraid of criticism.

Albeit, I'd day this forum is generally healthy, and there are many different ideas that get put out there, and we do challenge one another.
I would agree with your points above I think they all act as barriers. I also think that some of the vitriol aimed at people who don't tow the line with some of the chauvinism is also off putting..

However I believe it is important to bring plurality to forums claiming to represent or authoritive on Sikhism.

This forum is fantastic and whilst there is vigorous debate on here and it is welcomed and healthy, I do sometimes think of reclusive sadhus engaging in high minded philosophical discussions

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
I was on another forum recently and I was banned very quickly because I basically asked the moderators to be impartial. They basically were allowing open bashing of one jatha by members (things like calling AKJ 'Pakhand Kirtan Jatha' were allowed with no warnings to those posters while merely stating the obvious- that those same members who considered themselves part of that other jatha were showing hatred and superiority in their posts - was considered 'jatha hate mongering' and was moderated) so their 'staff' as it were are not interested in discussion between people who disagree on issues in sikhi but rather pushing only one agenda. Because I openly posed asking the staff to be impartial and that if they were truly against jatha hate mongering then they would also moderate and warn posters saying things against the other jathas... that got me banned without warning.

So no I don't tend to go to those other sites. One track minds...
I have been censored, banned and hounded on these sites with personal details about me shared and veiled threats made.. And I know others have had a similar treatment. Should we allow this behavior to deter us?

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
I have been censored, banned and hounded on these sites with personal details about me shared and veiled threats made.. And I know others have had a similar treatment. Should we allow this behavior to deter us?

Exact same thing, I have had my personal real life details posted along with directed insults and veiled threats, name calling I have been called Guru Nindak more than once... all because I dared to post a different view from theirs (usually related to female / male equality in Sikhi).

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: