• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is Sikh Religion = Sikh Philosophy

Dec 8, 2005
Dear Veerji

SSakal

I want to Ask my SPN philosphers if

SIkh philosophy is same as Sikh religion.

IF it is not same then why is it not the same.

What are the unique qualities of a SIKH philosphers

:wah:
Love Hps62:)

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Dear Veerji

SSakal

I want to Ask my SPN philosphers if

SIkh philosophy is same as Sikh religion.

IF it is not same then why is it not the same.

What are the unique qualities of a SIKH philosphers

:wah:
Love Hps62:)

Hps62 Ji

Philosophy
the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.
any of the three branches, namely natural philosophy, moral philosophy, and metaphysical philosophy, that are accepted as composing this study.

Religion
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

If you look at the meaning given as per Dictionary, usually Religion and philosophy are common in” having ideas”, there are branches of philosophy that go scientific in its search, in religion, idea is given but no support of scientific search is given. Looking at Sikhism, idea is based on purely on personal experience. The ideas discussed and believed in as a faith fall into Religion definition.

Sikhism is a religion; however, ideology is there which triggers beliefs of the followers without questioning it scientifically. Whatever are practices in Sikhism as a religion also varies, people do not agree on the ideology expressed in Gurbani because they take the meaning in their own way, subsequently they differ. So one can say that the practice of Sikhism and an ideology expressed in SGGS Ji, still differ. Literally religions have philosophy; the truth they address is not explained as philosophical truth is advocated. I believe, who believe in a religion, should not treat it as a scientific philosophy. It is a faith one bows in.
In Sikhism, Guru is important because of having experience of the Eternal Truth. There is no philosophy that deals with before birth or after death knowledge, but religions do. Sikhism warns not to waste life in total involvement of Maya, this life is a chance to unite with the Creator, so listen to Guru, follow and ignore the rest. Hope it can be helpful

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM