• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Hinduism Is It Ok If A Sikh Studies The Upanishads (the Central Layer Of Vedas)

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
So , Vedas has 4 major layers to it :
1) Samhitas (the mantras, etc recited dedicated to demi gods)
2) Brahamanas (commentaries)
3) Aranyaka (lit. "forest" )
4) Upanishads (lit : 'upa': near , 'ni' : down , 'shad' : sit ; "Sit down near a teacher (to gain knowledge))

I was reading one called "Brihadaranyaka upanishad" .lit. "Brihad" : very big, "aranyaka" : forest, perhaps the world forest .

Actually the pdf I have is more of a 'katha' on the upanishad itself by Swami Krishnananda Saraswati of divine life society.

It talks really strange or should I say SURREAL things .

What you see is not real , what you don't see is the real thing. Talks of atman / brahm and talks like where does consciousness go when we sleep.
I can't really describe all the deep stuff (deep but non-verifiable stuff it talks of) as I don't want to give in details and have only studied superficially.

According to it, soul (self) goes and touches the god (universal self) and thats why we feel refreshed on waking up . And that everything in dreams is made of mind ('mann') itself and the mann then enters the studio of dream world and enjoys what it can't enjoy in waking world.

Its very mystical things , although I haven't read it full because the speaking sage of the upanishad (Sage Yajnavalkya) talks too much of the demi-gods and this and that before coming to his point (one god) which he identifies the same as 'self' in every being.

I don't think its really contradicting with gurbani , infact quite similar to sikh philosophy.

What do sangat here think ?

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
4) Upanishads (lit : 'upa': near , 'ni' : down , 'shad' : sit ; "Sit down near a teacher (to gain knowledge))

I was reading one called "Brihadaranyaka upanishad" .lit. "Brihad" : very big, "aranyaka" : forest, perhaps the world forest .

Actually the pdf I have is more of a 'katha' on the upanishad itself by Swami Krishnananda Saraswati of divine life society.

What you see is not real , what you don't see is the real thing. Talks of atman / brahm and talks like where does consciousness go when we sleep.
I can't really describe all the deep stuff (deep but non-verifiable stuff it talks of) as I don't want to give in details and have only studied superficially.

According to it, soul (self) goes and touches the god (universal self) and thats why we feel refreshed on waking up . And that everything in dreams is made of mind ('mann') itself and the mann then enters the studio of dream world and enjoys what it can't enjoy in waking world.

Its very mystical things , although I haven't read it full because the speaking sage of the upanishad (Sage Yajnavalkya) talks too much of the demi-gods and this and that before coming to his point (one god) which he identifies the same as 'self' in every being.

I don't think its really contradicting with gurbani , infact quite similar to sikh philosophy.

interesting...

i've never read it....and i probably won't.
not because i don;t think its worthwhile...or its wrong as a sikh to study something else...

from some of the things you write, i can;t say i would disagree with it...through your Simran you may experience something like this...experience strange things...start to understand what is true and what isn;t....the soul...dreams...lucid dreams...astral travel maybe...

there just seems to be an endless vastness to creation...you can lost in it all....that's why the focus has to be on the 'EK'...keep that in mind always..

Dalvinder Singh Grewal

Writer
Historian
SPNer
Jan 3, 2010

Reading any scripture is worth it provided one is clear of sifting falsehood from truth.

Fundamentals of all religious scriptures in India are generally the same since the basic principles of Indian religions remains the same.

lionprinceuk

(previously Lion_Prince_Jatinder)
SPNer
Jun 29, 2004
west london
With my very limited knowledge of the upanishads, I know that the upanishads are similar to sikhi and probably ek onkar and nirguna sarguna.

However there are so many sikhi scriptures: Dasam Granth, Sarbloh Granth, Vaaran Bhai Gurdaas and also the historical texts and Granths that will will give a lot of knowledge . I think to read all these requires time in modern times. I know nirmalas and Taksals would study all these hindu, sikh and sufi + islamic scriptures and texts, definitely including the Upanishads.

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
With my very limited knowledge of the upanishads, I know that the upanishads are similar to sikhi and probably ek onkar and nirguna sarguna.

However there are so many sikhi scriptures: Dasam Granth, Sarbloh Granth, Vaaran Bhai Gurdaas and also the historical texts and Granths that will will give a lot of knowledge . I think to read all these requires time in modern times. I know nirmalas and Taksals would study all these hindu, sikh and sufi + islamic scriptures and texts, definitely including the Upanishads.

As per my understanding , only nirmalas study vedas . Taksal don't !

Dalvinder Singh Grewal

Writer
Historian
SPNer
Jan 3, 2010

The teaching in Sikhism are at variance where ritualistic practices are advocated in Hinduism. In spiritual terms however Sikh scripture is closer to Gita. There have been quite a number of comparative studies which have clearly established the difference in fundamentals. To know this study of scriptures of both the religions is needed. Sikh is a continuous learner: for him learning the knowledge in scriptures of all religion is also important. This is why Guru Gobind Singh sent 5 of his scholars to learn Hindu scriptures at Benraras. These scholars are famous by the Nirmalas and are respected equally as other Sikh saints.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: