• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is It Karmas At Work? UP Couple Seeks Mercy Killing Along With Five Blind Sons

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
IS IT KARMAS AT WORK? :

source: http://www.punjabnewsline.com/content/view/25200/38/

UP couple seeks mercy killing along with five blind sons

Punjab Newsline Network
Friday, 16 April 2010

LUCKNOW: Fed up of their penury and the burden of their five blind sons, a couple in Uttar Pradesh's Mau district has sought mercy killing for their entire family.

Munauwar (60) and his wife Rubina (55) have pleaded for mercy killing in their letter sent to President Pratibha Patil, Uttar Pradesh Governor B.L. Joshi, state Chief Minister Mayawati and other authorities of Mau district, about 300 km from Lucknow.

"We don't want to live any more. It's miserable. We are not even able to arrange food for ourselves on a daily basis," Munauwar told reporters in Mau Friday.

All his five sons aged between 16-35-were born blind.

"As life has become a burden for all of us, we want to end it soon. Therefore, we have written to the president and others, seeking permission for mercy killing," he added.

Munauwar, a resident of Mau's Palia village, is the sole breadwinner in the family and has not been able to take care of his five blind sons and wife for the past several months.

"I have exhausted all of my resources on the treatment of my five blind sons. A few months ago, I even sold my small cloth shop to a villager just to generate some money for my family. Now, I have nothing to bank upon," the dejected man said.

Villagers normally provide leftovers to Munauwar's family and that has kept them alive till now.

"Believe me, if the neighbours stop providing leftovers to us, we will all eventually die of starvation," he said.

Mau District Magistrate Rakesh Kumar told reporters, "Yes, we have learnt that a couple has sought mercy killing. We will meet the family and ensure they receive necessary help and are rehabilitated."

IANS

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Is it karmas at work? Or is it the burden of poverty and indifference?

At least a few villagers, who probably have very little themselves, are giving food. That is not something new. So maybe there are left still some pooran karmas.

Whose karmas are at work here? People suffer because of the deeds of other people. I am left wondering if it is my karmas because I do so very little to help those less fortunate than I.

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
The Terrible Truth About How Karma Works

By Ellen Mogensen

Sooner or Later, You're Dancin' With the Reaper: While on Earth, you are living in the worlds of karma and reincarnation. As Soul you are eternal. You have past, present, and future lives. To grow in love, joy, and awareness, you reincarnate into a series of physical bodies to experience different existences. You have been or will be both sexes and all races, religions, and ethnic types throughout many lifetimes.

Karma Defined: Karma means that "as you sow, so also shall you reap" in this and other lifetimes until you understand the complete consequences of all your actions. Karma is the principle of cause and effect, action and reaction, total cosmic justice and personal responsibility. Karma begins to propel you as Soul on a personal journey through the universe. Karma ends when you have perfected yourself in your ability to love.

Here are "The Rules of Karma" Governing Life on Earth

#1: KARMA TEACHES BY EXPERIENCE AND NOT TO PUNISH

Although it may often "feel" like punishment, the purpose of karma is to teach not to punish. Often the way we learn "the best" is to endure the same type of suffering that we have inflicted on others.

#2: WE ARE ALL HERE TO LEARN LESSONS TAUGHT BY KARMA

We are all here to learn lessons as "spiritual beings in human form". These lessons are designed to help us grow into greater levels of love, joy, and awareness. They teach us to "choose love at every moment", to "forgive everyone, everything", and to "live happy". Where we do not choose love, show forgiveness, teach tolerance, or display compassion, karma intervenes to put us back on the path of these lessons.

#3: WE "FORGET" ABOUT KARMA TO SEE IF WE HAVE LEARNED

Before we came to Earth, we agreed to put ourselves in the path of all that is we needed to learn. Once we got here, we agreed to "forget" this. The purpose of "forgetting" is to keep us from being overwhelmed by the totality of our past while making sure that we have really learned our lessons.

#4: KARMA IS IMPERSONAL, LOGICAL, AND PREDICTABLE

Karma gives you the opportunity at every moment to become open to greater levels of love and compassion. It operates impersonally: applying to everyone, all the time, no exceptions. It is very logical: what you sow is what you reap in exact and precise measure. Karma is as predictable as the laws of gravity: what is done to you is the net result of what you have done to others.

#5: KARMA IS PERFECTLY FAIR AND CREATES TOTAL JUSTICE

Every apparently "unjust" situation is perfectly just in the context of reincarnation. For example, there are no "innocent" people in prison today, they are there for a reason. If they appear "innocent" in this life, it is because they were "guilty" in a past life and "got away with it". The "innocent" feel "cheated" now because they cannot see the cause of this life was the effect of a past life when they were "guilty".

#6: KARMA MAKES US LINK OUR ACTIONS WITH THEIR RESULTS

The cause of this life is always the effect of a past life(s). The goal of karma is to ensure that we link our actions (the cause) with their results (the effect). It is the loving God which helps each Soul develop it's highest spiritual potential through experience. It is our experience which teaches us the Law of Love.

#7: KARMA TEACHES US TOTALLY RESPONSIBILITY

The goal of karma is to give you all the experiences that you need to evolve into greater levels of love, joy, awareness, and responsibility. Karma teaches that you are totally responsible for all the circumstances of your life: past, present, and future.

#8: KARMA TEACHES US LOVE AND COMPASSION FOR ALL

"See that you are at the center of the universe... Accept all things as being part of you... When you perceive that an act done to another is done to yourself... you understand the great truth" (Lao Tse) Tolerance opens the door to compassion and love.

#9: KARMA DRIVES US TO WHOLENESS AND UNITY WITH LIFE

Karma forces us to look beyond ourselves (oneness) so that we can see ourselves as we truly are (wholeness or Self Realization). Once we truly understand ourselves, we can see our divinity (God Realization) and our unity with all life.

#10: KARMA DRIVES US TO SERVICE AND THEN TO LOVE

Karma drives us to service. Service - Co-Workership with God - is the ultimate expression of love. Love means service: service is your choice. Once you accept total responsibility for your life, you see yourself as Soul in service to life. Once you do, you become a fully realized Co-Worker with God.

#11: UNDERSTANDING KARMA IS THE KEY TO HARMONY

"Belief in karma ought to make the life pure, strong, serene, and glad. Only our own deeds can hinder us; only our own will can fetter us. Once let us recognize this truth, and our liberation has struck. Nature cannot enslave the Soul that by wisdom has gained power and uses both in love" (Annie Besant).

#12: FOR ANY QUESTION, LOVE IS ALWAYS THE ANSWER

"Love is our birthplace, our final refuge, and our reason for being. If we recognize that compassion and love are the ultimate destination of our journey, the heart of the universe responds" (Thomas Ashley-Farrand). Karma shows us that for any question love is the answer.

Source URL: http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Mogensen1.html

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Soul Jyot ji

Thank you for this article. As usual you give us a lot to think about. Please forgive my need to make an additional comment.

I do not believe that 2 parents had so many blind children and so much suffering because of wicked deeds in their past that led them to suffering in the here and now. This is an interpretation of karma that Guru Nanak could not have believed. Such a view seems to give others permission to reject and hurt those who are suffering. "They must have done something in a past life to deserve it!" "They must now in this life clear the karma of the past by suffering!"

A person full of compassion like Guru Nanak would have strived to clear the view that karma is vindictive and punishing. My opinion only.

I do believe that karma is also a test of our character. Do we have the heart to be compassionate in the face of suffering like this?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Can someone please define, explain, elaborate with examples what Karam(a) means in practical and pragmatic sense as based on SGGS, our only Guru?

And what does Gurbani teach us about it as part and parcel of our everyday life of Miri- Piri?

Thanks in advance.

Tejwant Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
In my office at my previous job, i had a machine worker who had a serious disorder in his left leg...making it shorter and twisted....and then i found out that ALL 10 brothers had the exact same problem...BUT all the six sisters were NORMAL. After the fifth son was born disabled..the Doctor advised the parents to STOP making babies as the GENETICAL DISORDER was INHERITED..and ALL the GIRLS were NORMAL..BUT pass it down to their SONS !! The Parents went on to produce another five disabled sons..and all the daughters also married...latest i heard that two have already given birth to disabled SONS..and one has four normal daughters...what KARMA ?? these are staunch HINDUS.:stirpot:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: