• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is It Better To Just Insulate Yourself In Your Own World?

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
I consistently strive to learn the truth about this world. So much of what we are fed is a complete lie. The history we learn is distorted, what politicians and the media tell us is distorted, the news is distorted, what big corporations tell is distorted. We are exposed to constant lies. This world is not just, human rights are consistently violated, money and greed takes precedence over everything else, our environment is destroyed, humans are just a commodity. The T.V. teaches us who is good and who is bad, and who to hate.

When you seek this truth, you realize how hellish this existence is - how much violence we commit to one another, how much poverty there is intentionally created, how much suffering there is in the world, and how truly powerless and small we are against the huge powers that dominate and control this world.

This truth seeking, and attempt to not delude myself, has opened my eyes to these awful discoveries. And essentially, I feel more negative, more hopeless, more miserable.

I see other people - perfectly good, happy, loving, positive people - who do not bother to concern themselves with this truth seeking. They do not constantly question what it is that is really happening in this world, they do not voluntarily expose themselves to uncovering the horrors of this world. They live in their own little life - taking care of their families, having a good time, working, travelling, watching entertaining shows, maintaining some sort of spirituality, doing some seva, and not thinking so above and beyond. They just live and be in their own lives. They seem better off for it - happy, loving, positive, and perfectly good people. I admire these traits that they have and cannot seem to emulate them so well myself.

If Guru has indeed blessed us with a good, comfortable life, then is it better to just insulate yourself in your own world, and just live and be? Why concern oneself with the truth of our existence, with the tragedies of the world brought upon by our corrupt societies, if it will bring about negativity within us?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I consistently strive to learn the truth about this world.

We hang today those who we laud tomorrow, that is the truth of the world, allow me to quote a passage from my favourite book, steppenwolf,

“Every age, every culture, every custom and tradition has its own character, its own weakness and its own strength, it beauties and ugliness; accepts certain sufferings as matters of course, puts up patiently with certain evils. Human life is reduced to real suffering, to hell, only when two ages, two cultures and religions overlap... Now there are times when a whole generation is caught in this way between two ages, two modes of life, with the consequence that it loses all power to understand itself and has no standard, no security, no simple acquiescence. Naturally, every one does not feel this equally strongly.”

So the truth is quite irrelevant in some respects, as it is a false truth, why concern yourself with false truths?

The history we learn is distorted, what politicians and the media tell us is distorted, the news is distorted, what big corporations tell is distorted. We are exposed to constant lies. This world is not just, human rights are consistently violated, money and greed takes precedence over everything else, our environment is destroyed, humans are just a commodity. The T.V. teaches us who is good and who is bad, and who to hate.

I am sorry to bore you with another quote, however, the feelings you describe, are the same as mine, when I read this book, I felt the author was also 'one of us'

“Our leaders strain every nerve and with success, to get the next war going, while the rest of us, meanwhile, dance the fox trot, earn money and eat chocolates...And perhaps...it has always been the same and always will be, and what is called history at school, and all we learn by heart there about heroes and geniuses and great deeds and fine emotions, is all nothing but a swindle invented by the schoolmasters for educational reasons to keep children occupied for a given number of years. It has always been so and always will be. Time and the world, money and power belong to the small people and shallow people. To the rest, to the real men belongs nothing...eternity...it isn't fame. Fame exists in that sense only for the schoolmasters. No, it isn't fame. It is what I call eternity...The music of Mozart belongs there and the poetry of your great poets. The saints, too, belong there, who have worked wonders and suffered martyrdom and given a great example to men. But the image of every true act, the strength of every true feeling, belongs to eternity just as much, even though no one knows of it or sees it or records it or hands it down to posterity. In eternity there is no posterity...It is the kingdom on the other side of time and appearances. It is there we belong. There is our home. It is that which our heart strives for...And we have no one to guide us. Our only guide is our homesickness.”

Clearly the way you feel is not confined to you, it is shared by many, you are not alone.

When you seek this truth, you realize how hellish this existence is - how much violence we commit to one another, how much poverty there is intentionally created, how much suffering there is in the world, and how truly powerless and small we are against the huge powers that dominate and control this world.

yes, you do, it kinda takes the shine out of life a bit, maybe its growing up, beyond what passes for living these days?

This truth seeking, and attempt to not delude myself, has opened my eyes to these awful discoveries. And essentially, I feel more negative, more hopeless, more miserable.

Course you do, we all do, at that point what else can do than go inward, to the source of our own truth, in effect, to God.

I see other people - perfectly good, happy, loving, positive people - who do not bother to concern themselves with this truth seeking. They do not constantly question what it is that is really happening in this world, they do not voluntarily expose themselves to uncovering the horrors of this world. They live in their own little life - taking care of their families, having a good time, working, travelling, watching entertaining shows, maintaining some sort of spirituality, doing some seva, and not thinking so above and beyond. They just live and be in their own lives. They seem better off for it - happy, loving, positive, and perfectly good people. I admire these traits that they have and cannot seem to emulate them so well myself.

Whilst the fifth master was roasting away on a hot plate, I wonder if had the same thoughts, I wonder if he looked around and wondered why he was not on a nice farm, raising cattle and living peacefully, although, we are of course not anywhere in that league, you still have to choose your sides, go normal, ignore all suffering and buy the lies of the world, go true, be an outcast, or find somewhere warm in the middle. Those people whom you admire, will never know the fires that exist, the burning, to them, all they wish for is a warm glow, is it enough for you to be warm?

f Guru has indeed blessed us with a good, comfortable life, then is it better to just insulate yourself in your own world, and just live and be? Why concern oneself with the truth of our existence, with the tragedies of the world brought upon by our corrupt societies, if it will bring about negativity within us?

The Guru, in my opinion, blessed us with a brain, you can keep good and comfortable, I have no wish to go down that road, to be in comfort is to have stopped, to have ceased, to retire, can you not see you are awakening from the lies, that you are able to see what is lie and what is truth, the emperor has no clothes, and now you can see his little tiny shrivelled genitals and his man boobs, let us both point and laugh my friend.

Emperor-Has-No-Clothes.jpg

Last edited:

Pathfinder

Writer
SPNer
Sep 5, 2016
you still have to choose your sides, go normal, ignore all suffering and buy the lies of the world, go true, be an outcast, or find somewhere warm in the middle.

Well said. That sums up things aptly.

Everytime i would look at the mirror I saw the reflection of my being or concealed flaws, beauty and imperfections of the world and I would be so enamoured by myself that I chose to ignore them and get lost in myself. All that mattered was the self, things that mattered to me. My reflection, my Shadow, my silhouette, my love, my family, my world.

The mirror never lied.

One day I Felt broken. I stared at the mirror so hard that I began to stare IN.
What I saw shook me to the bone. What I was looking at was not a reflection but staring at the real world lain bare minus my lies and the castles of my prejudice(s). This can't be I protested, this can't be - I broke the mirror.

The mirror was no more but I was cursed.

Cursed, I told myself because now all I could see is inside the world rather than at the world.

Did I ask to be picked?. To be chosen, to be cursed?.

Then one day - tired and frail within, i stand at the entrance of the Gurudwara and stare. I was shocked.

The mirror is back.

Ahead of you lies the truth, reality. Suddenly you realise that you have lost the power to look AT the mirror and can only look IN. There is no reflection that will ever be reflected back now. No seductive ME or the enticing world. A reflection is always more beautiful and captivating than reality. That reflection is twisted reality.

The mirror is the gateway.

You realise then that you are chosen. Chosen, not as in rewarded but more as in given a choice. As long as we can retain the power to look IN the mirror we will remain content.

The reflection will scream, fill us with doubt and use the world to ridicule us - that there is nothing IN the mirror, we are just imagining it. As long as we don't stop looking IN the mirror we will emerge to merge towards whatever lies on the narrow path.

There was never a mirror.

You will confuse yourself more than the world does. But clarity comes slowly. The doubts we sow .. grow into faith when busted.

There are mirrors everywhere.

Past midnight I stare at a lake in the middle of a jungle. I see the reflection of the waning moon and the fishes swimming inside. What, did I look at and in just now??

The mirror is me!!!...

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
steppenwolf

Such insightful quotes. I am certainly interested in checking out this book!

Course you do, we all do, at that point what else can do than go inward, to the source of our own truth, in effect, to God.

I feel from uncovering these truths, I just see them more and more around me, and just kind of am getting lost in them....not sure what to do about these realizations. I have thanked Waheguru so much for my mind, and for opening me to the truth. At the same time, I am not sure how to reconcile with them. Early on a few years ago when I was first started to realize that I was blessed with open eyes and a thinking mind, I felt such a high. I felt closer to the One, and more compassion for humanity as I learned that the whole world was a joke, and connection to the One and love for all was all that mattered. Slowly though, I have become distanced from the One. Maybe from just being so caught up in the hopelessness around me.... Also I do not know what I am supposed to do with all that I am aware of. Do I try to make some difference in the world? How?

Whilst the fifth master was roasting away on a hot plate, I wonder if had the same thoughts, I wonder if he looked around and wondered why he was not on a nice farm, raising cattle and living peacefully, although, we are of course not anywhere in that league, you still have to choose your sides, go normal, ignore all suffering and buy the lies of the world, go true, be an outcast, or find somewhere warm in the middle. Those people whom you admire, will never know the fires that exist, the burning, to them, all they wish for is a warm glow, is it enough for you to be warm?

This gives much to contemplate!

I certainly am not able to or willing to erase what I have been opened to, and cannot pretend otherwise. I just do not know where to go from here.....

The Guru, in my opinion, blessed us with a brain, you can keep good and comfortable, I have no wish to go down that road, to be in comfort is to have stopped, to have ceased, to retire, can you not see you are awakening from the lies, that you are able to see what is lie and what is truth

Absolutely. An awakening has been underway, an enlightening. And enlightenment carries with it both sukh and dukh. Perhaps I need to more so remind myself of how much of a blessing it is to be able to see this hell, and in turn, I must strive to reach heaven, the One.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I must strive to reach heaven,

personally, heaven and hell mean nothing to me, there will always be heaven and hell, that is the human way, I do not think one can avoid that, unless you pursue a path of asceticism, of denial of life, of solitude and non interaction, I do believe there are religions that laud this way of life, but it seems a bit selfish to me.

I think one can only hope for acceptance, and to see heaven as acceptance, and hell as the desire to be loved, be have things, to command respect, to strive for something that has no end.

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
personally, heaven and hell mean nothing to me, there will always be heaven and hell, that is the human way, I do not think one can avoid that, unless you pursue a path of asceticism, of denial of life, of solitude and non interaction, I do believe there are religions that laud this way of life, but it seems a bit selfish to me.

I think one can only hope for acceptance, and to see heaven as acceptance, and hell as the desire to be loved, be have things, to command respect, to strive for something that has no end.

By heaven, I mean the "ultimate heaven" - Waheguru. Not the "worldly" heaven. I hope that being exposed to this earthly hell, can encourage me more to find God within, and become closer and closer to the One.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
By heaven, I mean the "ultimate heaven" - Waheguru. Not the "worldly" heaven. I hope that being exposed to this earthly hell, can encourage me more to find God within, and become closer and closer to the One.

I mean the ultimate heaven too :), its not something I have any interest in, a permanent state, even the earthly hell you speak of can be dissipated with, if acceptance is utilised, in my opinion., however, to want, and to expect, and to wait, and to hope, for anything, can be self destructive in my opinion.

What is so good about heaven anyway? I have seen the photos, it does not look that much fun to me.

Pathfinder

Writer
SPNer
Sep 5, 2016
What if heaven is not a place, if it is a state of mind? What If it is inside us?

Everytime you love and feel love you incarnate another peice of heaven. That purity, divinity is already inside us.In a sense heaven is already inside each of us. We just need the ship of love to sail the seas of endless doubts to realise this and reach there.

I know it sounds weird but what if?, Just for a moment imagine it is true!.

Would that change the way we look at ourselves, at others?. No, heaven is not a place on the outside, it is inside, deep inside us.

Were it outside we would have colonised it, lol. The fact that it's inhabitated is because we seek and look for it everywhere but within.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
What if heaven is not a place, if it is a state of mind? What If it is inside us?

Everytime you love and feel love you incarnate another peice of heaven. That purity, divinity is already inside us.In a sense heaven is already inside each of us. We just need the ship of love to sail the seas of endless doubts to realise this and reach there.

I know it sounds weird but what if?, Just for a moment imagine it is true!.

Would that change the way we look at ourselves, at others?. No, heaven is not a place on the outside, it is inside, deep inside us.

Were it outside we would have colonised it, lol. The fact that it's inhabitated is because we seek and look for it everywhere but within.

I believe it to be true

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016

Everytime you love and feel love you incarnate another peice of heaven. That purity, divinity is already inside us.In a sense heaven is already inside each of us.

Yes, this is how I feel. I do not feel heaven is a physical place, far far away. It is more so a state of mind....coming to a point where we can reach that divinity - the One - inside us.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Yes, this is how I feel. I do not feel heaven is a physical place, far far away. It is more so a state of mind....coming to a point where we can reach that divinity - the One - inside us.

I was so enjoying the love, however, a question, do you know of anyone who has reached this, and still manages to live a normal life?

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
I was so enjoying the love, however, a question, do you know of anyone who has reached this, and still manages to live a normal life?

I do not know if anyone has reached this. It is a personal state of mind I suppose. I do know people who are capable of accepting the truths of the world, and still continue to live in chardi kala, they demonstrate love, and try to make the world a better place. Have they reached the One? Only they know.

Our Gurus did encourage us to live "normal live" in the sense to not retreat away from the world, but to find balance in our worldly and spiritual life. Miri Piri.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Our Gurus did encourage us to live "normal live" in the sense to not retreat away from the world, but to find balance in our worldly and spiritual life. Miri Piri.

Again, sorry to question, I know what worldly life is, its living in the world, how would you describe spiritual life? What does it entail for you?

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
Again, sorry to question, I know what worldly life is, its living in the world, how would you describe spiritual life? What does it entail for you?

I think it entails coming to acceptance of what the world is. Being able to identify our expectations of what things "should be like," and accept what they actually are like, ultimately surrendering to God's will. Learning to tame our fears and ego, and allow a universal love to dominate. Understanding that everything is God and this is God's play. To strive to seek connection with the One, and see the One in all. Learning to detach from the material world.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
wow, that my sort of answer, so we're both on the same track, if I may dissect,

I think it entails coming to acceptance of what the world is.

I think the same 100%

Being able to identify our expectations of what things "should be like," and accept what they actually are like, ultimately surrendering to God's will.

yup, ditto

Learning to tame our fears and ego, and allow a universal love to dominate.

are we twins? you used the word tame, most use the word destroy, or ignore, or repress, but I do believe one can understand and tame, for some element of fear and ego is useful.

Understanding that everything is God and this is God's play

I do believe we have an element of free choice, I do not think everything can be blamed on the supreme.

To strive to seek connection with the One, and see the One in all. Learning to detach from the material world.

I think the material world is where we do our work, if we are that way inclined, to help creation, however, and I have asked this before, how does one see 'the one' in someone raping your sister, and how does one deal with it, given you are seeing the one in all?

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
are we twins? you used the word tame, most use the word destroy, or ignore, or repress, but I do believe one can understand and tame, for some element of fear and ego is useful.

Ego, fear, exist within us. I feel we need to understand, and accept, and then we can have power over them to tame them. Perhaps for others, getting rid of them entirely is their goal. I don't feel it is necessarily possible to get rid of them entirely, at least for me. Balance is key. But, who knows, perhaps those who are able to eliminate them completely are able to reach some other level of spirituality that I have no comprehension of.

I do believe we have an element of free choice, I do not think everything can be blamed on the supreme.

This is something I still am not completely clear on, and go back and forth a lot on. I certainly feel that the One has set everything in motion. What I am not sure of is how much since setting this play in motion, does God actually intervene in our day to day existence. I am not sure. I feel that to some degree we do have free choice, we can shape our karma, and we do reap what we sow. And therefore the supreme cannot be blamed for everything. God has given us the SGGS to follow and learn from.

I think the material world is where we do our work, if we are that way inclined, to help creation, however, and I have asked this before, how does one see 'the one' in someone raping your sister, and how does one deal with it, given you are seeing the one in all?

This is where I feel miri piri - balancing the spiritual and worldly life come in. We as Sikhs have a role to be upholders of justice, and defend the vulnerable. If we see something wrong happening, someone being attacked, we are supposed to intervene. We help others who are in danger. I think the "seeing God in the other" comes into play when we decide how we will react to a perpetrator. We help the person in trouble, but that does not mean that we have to mercilessly kill the perpetrator, if it is not necessary.

Pathfinder

Writer
SPNer
Sep 5, 2016
how does one see 'the one' in someone raping your sister, and how does one deal with it, given you are seeing the one in all?

In the case of the rapist - he has not realised and acknowledged the presence of WaheGuru inside of himself. Had he, then he would not be commiting this heinous act.

I would see the Akaal in him too but i would be justified in my anger and my act of repulsion and any consequences that may result in stopping the violation of a woman's soul and her body. He would be violating the WaheGuru inside of her.

Why would I be justified in my anger, disgust, hate and action thereby to prevent it?..

Because Waheguru has put women on a higher pedestal than us menfolk too. That is the only racial bias between the sexes that the Guru has ever made I guess.

If one does not acknowledge, respect the WaheGuru inside oneself, then one must forgo the expectation to escape the benefit of being treated at par with one who does.

Just imagine someone who does not realise the presence of the Akaal in oneself but goes on and tries to destroy the sanctuary of the Akaal's dwelling in another?? Can anything be more vileful? More disgusting?

One who loves,respects,feels in one - the Waheguru does not commit rape, period.

That's the way I see it - strongly biased are my views and not a convincing argument maybe, but that's how I have always seen it.

Amrit and the 5 kakars do not make one a true sikh. They help him become one all through the journey. They are nessesary and useful if one understands the guidance they provide round the clock. Just having the Akaal in oneself does not make one worthy of the respect we accord to a dwelling of the Akaal.

We must hoist the Nishan Sahib in the Gurudwara inside us in which the Akaal dwells. Our actions are our Nishan Sahib and our character is our Gurudwara. When one does not build a Gurudwara or hoist the Nishan Sahib then one will stoop to lows like the rapist has.

How disgusted does one feel in a Gurudwara where the Akaal is disrespected ?. Then how disgusted must one feel towards a person who has desecrated the Akaal in this lowly manner. The disgust is justified a million fold because even with the Akaal within the rapist he has denounced and humilated Waheguru so unceremoniously.

To me rape is the epitome, the zenith, the pinnacle - of disgust, of filth. The bottom of the filthiest abyss that any mortal can stoop to.

The rapist has a free choice, he chooses to go ahead out of free will.

Waheguru does not abandon him but when another part of WaheGuru in you or me who goes to save the girl and does not stop the saviour or the girl from putting up a fight either.

Sometimes you, me, the girl wins. Sometimes the rapist does. Waheguru just watches, he does not punish or reward ot even take sides.

The rapist pays for his destruction or attempt of descreation of WaheGuru in the girl in this very lifetime. Nobody is outside or beyond the Akaal's hukam. The rapist is on the hitlist of Hukam by his own doing. He has sown a seed by this rape and so shall he reap it's consequences a million fold, here in this life itself. There is no escape.

Sorry, I seem to have gotten carried away. But I'm upset. I wish Wahegueu's justice was more direct, immediate and unforgiving. But WaheGuru knows best.

If any rapist could imagine the horror of his deplorable, disgusting destruction of Wahegueu's cherished child - he would never ever dare to do it even in his most dirty dreams.

The Hukum is there to be broken at your own peril.

Oops, I'm still am really and very truly upset. How can one crush and break another human so coldly? Be this wicked?

Need some cold milk to chill.. some random thoughts of mine... please ignore them if we see different..

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: