Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Controversial Is Cancer Intended or Is It Just There?

Discussion in 'Hard Talk' started by Abneet, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Abneet

Abneet
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Is Cancer intended by God or Is it just there?

*When I mean is it just there, I mean we as Humans created cancer*
    Cancer is a big concern today. A lot of it has to do with what we consume and other reasons etc...

But is it intended by God? I don't know the answer to be honest. But in my opinion why would God put cancer in this world for a reason and know we would find cures for it. Doesn't that just beat the purpose of Cancer if God intended it to harm people?

OR

Is Cancer just caused by many things we have around today in this world in food and unclean water? Why does it exist is the question? Why would God put such a life-taking disease in this world? Or did we create cancer ourselves over time?

People use evolution for the cause of cancer. Or groups like Christians will say Sin brought cancer to the world. Who knows?

We are responsible for our own suffering due to our desires not being in our control and individual past actions (individual karma)
    Suffering is the mechanism which brings us back to the reality of God
    Evil is just the absence of good and allows us to understand the value of goodness
    Death is not suffering, it is the one thing that life guarantees and is not the end
    Guru Arjan Dev Ji’s example should give us the strength to get through suffering
    We should realise that our situation could be a lot worse and to learn from the experience
    Meditation, sharing and honesty are proactive ways to end suffering

http://www.wahegurunet.com/why-is-there-suffering

Answers would be appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Basics Of Sikhi Jagraj Singh Diagnosed With Stage 4 Cancer Sikh Organisations Thursday at 4:12 AM
    Sikh News Big-hearted Sikh Bikers Raise $100K To Fight Pediatric Cancer Breaking News Jul 19, 2016
    Harpal Singh Kumar Cancer Researcher Knighted By Queen Elizabeth II Sikh Personalities Jan 5, 2016
    Cancer Fighters, Cancer Risks & Food Voodoo Health & Nutrition Dec 1, 2013
    Neanderthal clues to cancer origins Health & Nutrition Jun 6, 2013

3. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

120,000-year-old tumor discovered in Neanderthal remains

A tumor found in a Neanderthal specimen more than 120,000 years old may give scientists insight into the origins of cancer.

The rib tumor, which was an abnormal bone growth known as a fibrous dysplasia, is consistent with a kind of cancer that is found in modern-day people. It is one of the most common bone tumors in humans, the researchers noted.

"Evidence for cancer is extremely rare in the human fossil record. This case shows that Neanderthals, living in an unpolluted environment, were susceptible to the same kind of cancer as living humans," co-author David Frayer, a professor of biological anthropology at the University of Kansas, said in a press release.

The part was one of 876 fragments found in a rock shelter in Krapina, Croatia, in the late 1800s, and is thought to belong to one of a dozen individuals. Scientists have speculated that the bones were so fragmented either because the Neanderthals were cannibals or they were eaten by carnivorous animals, the Smithsonian reported.

The tumor was found by completing an X-ray and CT scan on a rib bone. The images showed a upward-protruding lesion on the rib that could not be an injury because there was no other traumas visible on the back of the rib.

Because the growth was found in an incomplete specimen, scientists will not be able to speculate about how the tumor affected the health of the Neanderthal.

The tumor was surprising because Neanderthals are estimated to have had half the lifespan of modern humans in developed countries, meaning this individual developed his issues earlier in life.

"Most cancers affect people when they get older, and most Neanderthals and earlier populations died before they got old. So this was really exciting to see," Frayer explained to National Geographic.

In addition, Neanderthals lived in completely different environmental factors so known carcinogens may not have been present.

"They didn't have pesticides, but they probably were sleeping in caves with burning fires," Frayer explained. "They were probably inhaling a lot of smoke from the caves. So the air was not completely free of pollutants -- but certainly, these Neanderthals weren't smoking cigarettes."

Before finding this tumor, the oldest evidence of cancer was between 1,000 to 4,000 years old.

"Some people think that cancer is only a modern disease, but there's evidence from fossils, bones and mummies that it's actually many thousands of years old," Kat Arney, science information manager at Cancer Research U.K., told the BBC. "So this discovery isn't entirely surprising, even though such finds are very rare, but it helps to shed light on the complex history of cancer in humans and our ancient relatives."

The study was published in PLoS ONE on June 5.

© 2013 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/120000-year-old-tumor-discovered-in-neanderthal-remains/

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Abneet Ji

I don't presume to speak for the Creative Force, the following is just my guess (as good as any).

Absolutely everything is changing, everything comes into being and dies. Humans are not so special as to be exempt from this cycle, or given any more particular focus than other things. We are star dust in the giant expanse of the Universe. Stars are born, they live out their time, and then the burn out and die. Plants gets diseases, animals get diseases, humans get diseases. It's part of being alive and part of the cycle.

The only thing is that humans have a different awareness of disease. It is no fault. It is simply a fact. This cycle is Hukam.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Harry Haller

Harry Haller United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

Abneetji

let us look at the different religions take on suffering as per your website

Note that Sikhism is on the bottom of the list, strange for a Sikh website, also note how the Sikh view is a combination of Buddhism and Hinduism, strange again that Sikhism does not have its own view, this website promotes karma, samsara, all Vedic concepts.

I would like to add that I strongly believe that Vedicism in its own right is a wonderful and enlightened concept, it all adds up, following the way of life brings its own merits, but if I wanted to be a Hindu, I would be a Hindu. If others want to be Hindus, brilliant, its a great religion, be the best Hindu you can, but if its Sikhism you want, then why not be a Sikh, why do you have to buy a BMW and cover it with Mercedes badges?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Harry Haller

Harry Haller United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

</H1>
    its a 3HO website, enough said, although I do wonder what exactly the yogic scriptures are, I though Sikhs followed the SGGS..........

• Like Like x 2
  7. Abneet

Abneet
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

So Cancer was there ever since the beginning of mankind? We didn't bring cancer to this world.