• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Introducing New Functionality: Dislikes Option

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Gurfateh ji

Well, its been a long time we posted in annoucement's section!

Today, we have introduced a new option for members to show their reaction about any posted message by any member. As you would be already aware, there is already a
post_thanks.gif
button showing up in case you like the post but now we also do have a
post_groan.gif
button for posts which you do not like.

How does it matter or affect you?

Every
post_thanks.gif
button clicked in your favor adds to your reputation as a esteemed respected member but now every
post_groan.gif
button clicked against you will considerably deduct from your precious hard earned reputation points... earned over the days, the months and the years... This information will also collectively show up in your every post in the forum and would reflect the over-all behavioral pattern of each SPN community member. :noticemunda:

This option has been introduced to implement a kind of self-moderation before posting your messages as well as think twice before making repetitive posts or making posts with same subject matter again and again in different threads or trolling or pass angry personal comments/insults and add to this list... :angryyoungkaur:This will eventually showcase as to how seriously fellow members take your messages and whether there is a room for an improvement in your thought process.

We do hope this will help us improve the overall quality of the posts and make SPN even more inviting and wonderful forum for new seekers from around the world with diverse religious and cultural backgrounds.

All the best!

Gurfateh

Aman Singh

PS: We have also re-structured our reputation system a bit thus making it a little harder to go up the ladder, accordingly your reputation bar status has changed.

Last edited:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Very Good, lets see how it affects us all, makes it even more challenging.

It reminds me of this exam marking system we used to encounter in university- called 'negative marking'
If you would do say a normal exam without this method, say a multiple choice with 4 choices for each question and you randomly select the same option on everything. Then by probability you would get 25% correct, ie 1 choice out of 4 using this method.
However, negative marking was designed to target even this bottom percentile where they would lose a mark for every wrong answer!!!
This way some students used to end up with negative marks like -35% or -11%.. it used to be crazy, so if you guessed half and answered half correctly- you could still get 0%!!!!!

In this way someone with more dislikes than likes would have a complete negative outcome. Whereas someone with 50% like or favour and 50% dislike would be a flat 0-zero-:mundabhangra: overall 'no comment'

This should be fun!!!

Apr 11, 2007
As I will be expecting to be the member with the most amount of dislikes on here, can I have a swear button to conteract the productivness!:grinningsingh: Or a Distinguish button!:angryyoungkaur:Or maybe a dont hate me, embrace me button peacesignOr a I'm a lover not a hater buttonlol. I can see no one has disliked a comment yet on anyone, so I'll start the ball rolling!! lol

Oct 21, 2009
India
Dear Aman ji,

Right now we are expressing our negative impression about some post by not appreciating it. If we start this feature it may be expected that the difference of opinion, that are in abundance, may result in pressing this button. On ongoing basis it shall reduce the number of posts and may also create bitterness. I am also not sure about the utility of this function.

On the other hand it is likely to remain dormant and no sensible person would be tempted to press this button. It shall shall have an ornamental value only. Personally speaking, I shall never find it useful to start this ignition nor would I use this button ever in future.

It is not tailor made for forum like this.

Best of luck.!

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Besides the little humor part, as a responsible SPN'er, anyone consistently getting higher dislikes or consistently leaving higher dislikes will bring both instances under scrutiny. Every dislike is expected to be supported by a post justifying the dislike and would otherwise be a candidate for removal without notice. We would request everybody to utilize this feature responsibly.

Thank you

Gurfateh!

Oct 21, 2009
India
Besides the little humor part, as a responsible SPN'er, anyone consistently getting higher dislikes or consistently leaving higher dislikes will bring both instances under scrutiny. Every dislike is expected to be supported by a post justifying the dislike and would otherwise be a candidate for removal without notice. We would request everybody to utilize this feature responsibly.

Thank you

Gurfateh!

Why should one be required to post reasons of dislikes Aman ji,?
Instead one should be interested and be allowed to post Gurbani/sikh philosophy.....

Kindly define the parameters of dislikes.

It is or shall be a subjective opinion. I observe that you prefer to avoid me by my name. I do not feel good. But I shall not dislike your way of thinking. It's your subjectivity.How and why can I dislike it.?
kindly state In these circumstances why should I dislike your replies even though I am not happy with your style of avoiding me?

Regards!

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Why should one be required to post reasons of dislikes Aman ji,?
Instead one should be interested and be allowed to post Gurbani/sikh philosophy.....

Kindly define the parameters of dislikes.

It is or shall be a subjective opinion. I observe that you prefer to avoid me by my name. I do not feel good. But I shall not dislike your way of thinking. It's your subjectivity.How and why can I dislike it.?
kindly state In these circumstances why should I dislike your replies even though I am not happy with your style of avoiding me?

Regards!
Taranjeet ji,

I think, its just a matter of understanding... the likes or dislikes buttons are not for the person, but for the message posted... so there should be no issues, if you did not like a particular post... a line or two explaining your dislike would help us in moving forward with the discussion in hand...

I guess, you and i posted at the same moment so i must have missed your earlier response. There is no question of avoiding you or anybody here!

On hindsight, i was contemplating on converting the dislike button into disagree button... hmmmm! food for thought! :interestedsingh: The idea of introducing this is to move forward with a discussion in a focused manner.

Gurfateh!

Oct 21, 2009
India
Aman ji,

U are the Boss.

U are the best person to see what is good for the site. We can opine and can never thrust our opinions.

Naturally, we only disagree with the posts and not with the persons who are all sikhs and are creation of the ONE and are hence one. I do appreciate with your 'food for thought". But it is not for me.It is for you.

I do not want to write more on the subject as views are fairly clear. If I dislike a post it is natural to presume that whose post is not liked would have reasons to feel aggrieved and hence bitter. Two parameters cannot be separated. Theses are entwined and enmeshed.

The entire discussion on this forum is democratic and moves in fairly focused manner. If I get 20 dislikes I shall have little motivation to post more.

I shall quote very simple example. I am not in agreement with the opinion of of one lengthy thread about one particular 'Paath' whose translation is being done on the forum right now but I do respect the person who is posting this. Even if I disagree with that I shall not like to discourage him and put down his morale as it may not hamper the posting the further posts.

There was a bitter tangle between two elders as to how to pronounce 'Ik/Ek ongkaar'. One called the other a Hindu. It was not in good taste but the thread moved on without any major hamper.

There is difference of opinion about Naam simran and Naam japna. What justification one can give for this.? Entire Guru Granth sahib says that we should practice it. There was IJ singhh's post about his opinion about reincarnation. I do like his writings but I do not agree with him nor with his psyche. It does not entitle me to make me dislike his views.

For me your suggestion to add this functionality is only decorative in value. I had the luxury of time today and hence I am awake but I shall seek thy forgiveness as it is quite late and time to go to bed.

I wish all the members a Good day or good night. I feel sorry for my bluntness. Disliking would be like disliking God..

.....kudrat de sab bande.........

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Ah, you cannot click on like and dislike at the same time!

What will Bhagatji and Spji do? lol
:crash:

On a serious note, I think it's a bad idea for the reasons well stated by Taranjeet Singh ji. And for these reason I am going to refrain from participating in this "Dislike" feature.
With that said the dislike feature already exists. You know... when you don't "Like" someone's post. It's an implied "Dislike". :whisling:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
With that said the dislike feature already exists. You know... when you don't "Like" someone's post. It's an implied "Dislike". :whisling:
Bhagat Singh veer ji your logic is flawed in the above. Namely,

• when you don't "Like" someone's post.
    • Many people just don't want to acknowledge they read a post
    • So many people who are not active responders or writers may not even know the existence of thank you button
    • Most people by nature find it hard to say "Thank you"
      • They may think it will reduce their stature in case they don't get as many thank you
  • It's an implied "Dislike".
    • Conversely the non depiction of a Dislike is also a "Like"
      • I am using your logic
  • So in a way "Like" and "Dislike" balance things out and helps people think may be an "iota" harder about a given post
  • In my mind the greatest respect you can give to any post is to interact
    • Regardless of "Likes" and "Dislikes"
    • One learns a lot through discourse while voting is to encourage and at times as Taranjeet Singh ji flagged it may discourage some
      • For example, I know if Taranjeet Singh ji voted a Dislike for every post on "Sukhmani Sahib" thread that I have done, it certainly would not have been very encouraging for me
  • I find if people are not going to spend the energy to share both agreements and disagreements, then they really are not participating
    • As such they have lost their "Like" and "Dislike" vote regardless of how they vote
I personally have been very greatly discouraged from posting at times due to lack of interaction. I simply share what I have done with good intentions but perhaps with lack of tact.

I will perhaps stop posting in the next 2-3 months. I committed to couple of things to my friends and I will stop making further commitments. This is specially applicable to my Gurbani translations or my understandings thereof.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: