Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Controversial In Jab Against Quebec Values Charter, Jason Kenney Dons Sikh Head Scarf

Discussion in 'Hard Talk' started by spnadmin, Sep 14, 2013.

1. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

In apparent jab against Quebec values charter, Jason Kenney dons Sikh head scarf in Twitter picture

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...with-picture-of-himself-with-sikh-head-scarf/

OTTAWA — Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney has updated his Twitter profile picture with one showing him wearing a Sikh head scarf.

This comes just days after he said the federal government is ready to go to court over Quebec’s proposed charter of values.

The photo was apparently taken when Kenney visited the Golden Shrine temple in Amritsar, India in January.

On the same Twitter page, Kenney also applauds Montreal MP Maria Mourani, who was kicked out of the Bloc Quebecois caucus on Thursday for opposing the charter.

Kenney says he respects Mourani, even though they hold different political views.

The minister told reporters earlier this week that the federal government is prepared to mount a legal challenge against Quebec’s plan to prevent public-sector workers in the province from wearing overt religious clothing or symbols.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. Loading...

3. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

I am waiting for a YouTube video to be uploaded regarding Maria Mourani's being edged out of the BQ bloc - stay tubed.

• Like Like x 4
  4. namritanevaeh

namritanevaeh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Good for him!!! I put a photo of myself up today on my FB page of me wearing something that closely ressembles a muslim head veil. I am neither Muslim nor Sikh nor Baptist nor Buddhist nor Jewish. However I have friends in all faiths and I am fully supportive. Currently, my one friend who is most negatively affected by the Charter of "values" (-sic) in Québec is Muslim herself. So...just in solidarity with her... :)

• Like Like x 4
  5. Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh United States
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

I am wondering if the Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney has donned the same by visiting the Muslim and Jewish communities! While visiting any Gurdwara, he has to wear the head covering. If he does the same for all the religions affected on a weekly basis and going to the Parliament in them, then he may succeed in swaying some votes to his cause, and also then it becomes a meaningful and an honest fight against injustice.

If not, then it is mere a political pandering/prostitution.

• Like Like x 2
  6. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Good point!

• Like Like x 1