• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

(In Punjabi/ਪੰਜਾਬੀ) "Ik Baba Nanak Si" - Babbu Maan

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I cannot understand Punjabi. But I can tell you this. The controversy is a no go for me. I have been following the story for weeks now on the English-language side of the internet. It is one more distraction from what the collective intelligence, creativity and resources of the entire Sikh panth could be devoted to. Instead it is one more example of finger-pointing and bickering to the tune of "my bhagati is better than yours."

Say good bye to more of our young generation who find no spiritual solace in it.

Oct 4, 2009
UK
Vahiguru Jee Ka Khalsa!
Vahiguru Jee Kee Fateh!

Narayanjot Kaur Jee, I think in fact this issue is directly appealing to the youth in Punjab and Punjabi-speaking youth world-wide. The issue of false sants setting up shop all over Punjab has been extremely damaging to the Panth. The likes of Dhandrianwala and Bhanearewala have driven Sikhs away from Shabad towards man-worship, i.e. worship of these false sants. Simple-minded and unknowing folk have fallen prey to these men over the last 20 years. False claims are made that these false sants have caused thousands to take Amrit.

Babbu Maan's song has caused a stir to the extent that these false sants, often backed by Hindu Government resources, have felt the need to retaliate. In doing so they are revealing their true selfish colours. This popular song has engaged Sikhs, both young and old. It is high time that these false shops were exposed.

- Mere Dog of the Guru

Vahiguru Jee Ka Khalsa!
Vahiguru Jee Kee Fateh!

it's always fun to see talented and witty artists put people with a false sense of authority in their place. they are the buffers that hold rationality together.

but in this case everyone is out to make paper. be it babbu maan, the pracharaks, politicians, the gurudawara commitees

with politicians, like Badal & Co. taking control of the cable networks in punjab, and sects of particular religious persuasion popping up left right and center and then aligning themselves WITH the government parties,i strongly believe it will be artists like these with their independant productions that will stitch together a more pragmatic reality and carry foreward the torch of secularism in punjab.

and to that i have to say
rock on Babbu Maan

YouTube- Ek baba nanak se--Des Pardes-- Babbu Maan vs Sant Baba Ranjit Singh Dhadrian Wala

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
An interesting insight Sinister ji!

I sat through about 6 Babbu Mann videos just to see what the problem was. You can understand what he is doing in one of two ways.

1. He is a completely amoral human being who has no other objective in life than to make money by celebrating whiskey and women.

2. He is holding up a mirror and reflecting what is happening in his natural world - the world around him is celebrating whiskey and women.

I like to think it is number 2. Yes he is making money. Yes he is holding up a mirror and presenting a rather intense reflection of how life looks to him. As in art imitates life. That is my opinion.

Either way I don't find him making judgment calls, but simply presenting the "way we are" as he sees us.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Vahiguru Jee Ka Khalsa!
Vahiguru Jee Kee Fateh!

Narayanjot Kaur Jee, I think in fact this issue is directly appealing to the youth in Punjab and Punjabi-speaking youth world-wide. The issue of false sants setting up shop all over Punjab has been extremely damaging to the Panth. The likes of Dhandrianwala and Bhanearewala have driven Sikhs away from Shabad towards man-worship, i.e. worship of these false sants. Simple-minded and unknowing folk have fallen prey to these men over the last 20 years. False claims are made that these false sants have caused thousands to take Amrit.

Babbu Maan's song has caused a stir to the extent that these false sants, often backed by Hindu Government resources, have felt the need to retaliate. In doing so they are revealing their true selfish colours. This popular song has engaged Sikhs, both young and old. It is high time that these false shops were exposed.

- Mere Dog of the Guru

Vahiguru Jee Ka Khalsa!
Vahiguru Jee Kee Fateh!

I would go further. I would add many other groups, Guru Nanak Niskam Sewak Jatha, AKJ, DDT, NAMdhari, Radhaoswami etc.

I say good on Babu Maan, and those deriding him for being a Mona, maybe they need to remind themselves whether 9 of the 10 Guru's had the 5 k's.

This is exactly the kind of message that is in Bani, and Guru Nanak used to repeat, page 15 of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib:

ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ
सिरीरागु महला १ ॥
Sirīrāg mėhlā 1.
Siree Raag, First Mehl:

ਲਬੁ ਕੁਤਾ ਕੂੜੁ ਚੂਹੜਾ ਠਗਿ ਖਾਧਾ ਮੁਰਦਾਰੁ
लबु कुता कूड़ु चूहड़ा ठगि खाधा मुरदारु ॥
Lab kuṯā kūṛ cẖūhṛā ṯẖag kẖāḏẖā murḏār.
Greed is a dog; falsehood is a filthy street-sweeper. Cheating is eating a rotting carcass.

ਪਰ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਪਰ ਮਲੁ ਮੁਖ ਸੁਧੀ ਅਗਨਿ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਚੰਡਾਲੁ
पर निंदा पर मलु मुख सुधी अगनि क्रोधु चंडालु ॥
Par ninḏā par mal mukẖ suḏẖī agan kroḏẖ cẖandāl.
Slandering others is putting the filth of others into your own mouth. The fire of anger is the outcaste who burns dead bodies at the crematorium.

ਰਸ ਕਸ ਆਪੁ ਸਲਾਹਣਾ ਕਰਮ ਮੇਰੇ ਕਰਤਾਰ ॥੧॥
रस कस आपु सलाहणा ए करम मेरे करतार ॥१॥
Ras kas āp salāhṇā e karam mere karṯār. ||1||
I am caught in these tastes and flavors, and in self-conceited praise. These are my actions, O my Creator! ||1||

ਬਾਬਾ ਬੋਲੀਐ ਪਤਿ ਹੋਇ
बाबा बोलीऐ पति होइ ॥
Bābā bolī▫ai paṯ ho▫e.
O Baba, speak only that which will bring you honor.

ਊਤਮ ਸੇ ਦਰਿ ਊਤਮ ਕਹੀਅਹਿ ਨੀਚ ਕਰਮ ਬਹਿ ਰੋਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
ऊतम से दरि ऊतम कहीअहि नीच करम बहि रोइ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Ūṯam se ḏar ūṯam kahī▫ahi nīcẖ karam bahi ro▫e. ||1|| rahā▫o.
They alone are good, who are judged good at the Lord's Door. Those with bad karma can only sit and weep. ||1||Pause||

ਰਸੁ ਸੁਇਨਾ ਰਸੁ ਰੁਪਾ ਕਾਮਣਿ ਰਸੁ ਪਰਮਲ ਕੀ ਵਾਸੁ
रसु सुइना रसु रुपा कामणि रसु परमल की वासु ॥
Ras su▫inā ras rupā kāmaṇ ras parmal kī vās.
The pleasures of gold and silver, the pleasures of women, the pleasure of the fragrance of sandalwood,

ਰਸੁ ਘੋੜੇ ਰਸੁ ਸੇਜਾ ਮੰਦਰ ਰਸੁ ਮੀਠਾ ਰਸੁ ਮਾਸੁ
रसु घोड़े रसु सेजा मंदर रसु मीठा रसु मासु ॥
Ras gẖoṛe ras sejā manḏar ras mīṯẖā ras mās.
the pleasure of horses, the pleasure of a soft bed in a palace, the pleasure of sweet treats and the pleasure of hearty meals -

ਏਤੇ ਰਸ ਸਰੀਰ ਕੇ ਕੈ ਘਟਿ ਨਾਮ ਨਿਵਾਸੁ ॥੨॥
एते रस सरीर के कै घटि नाम निवासु ॥२॥
Ėṯe ras sarīr ke kai gẖat nām nivās. ||2||
these pleasures of the human body are so numerous; how can the Naam, the Name of the Lord, find its dwelling in the heart? ||2||

ਜਿਤੁ ਬੋਲਿਐ ਪਤਿ ਪਾਈਐ ਸੋ ਬੋਲਿਆ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ
जितु बोलिऐ पति पाईऐ सो बोलिआ परवाणु ॥
Jiṯ boli▫ai paṯ pā▫ī▫ai so boli▫ā parvāṇ.
Those words are acceptable, which, when spoken, bring honor.

ਫਿਕਾ ਬੋਲਿ ਵਿਗੁਚਣਾ ਸੁਣਿ ਮੂਰਖ ਮਨ ਅਜਾਣ
फिका बोलि विगुचणा सुणि मूरख मन अजाण ॥
Fikā bol vigucẖṇā suṇ mūrakẖ man ajāṇ.
Harsh words bring only grief. Listen, O foolish and ignorant mind!

ਜੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵਹਿ ਸੇ ਭਲੇ ਹੋਰਿ ਕਿ ਕਹਣ ਵਖਾਣ ॥੩॥
जो तिसु भावहि से भले होरि कि कहण वखाण ॥३॥
Jo ṯis bẖāvėh se bẖale hor kė kahaṇ vakẖāṇ. ||3||
Those who are pleasing to Him are good. What else is there to be said? ||3||

ਤਿਨ ਮਤਿ ਤਿਨ ਪਤਿ ਤਿਨ ਧਨੁ ਪਲੈ ਜਿਨ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਮਾਇ
तिन मति तिन पति तिन धनु पलै जिन हिरदै रहिआ समाइ ॥
Ŧin maṯ ṯin paṯ ṯin ḏẖan palai jin hirḏai rahi▫ā samā▫e.
Wisdom, honor and wealth are in the laps of those whose hearts remain permeated with the Lord.

ਤਿਨ ਕਾ ਕਿਆ ਸਾਲਾਹਣਾ ਅਵਰ ਸੁਆਲਿਉ ਕਾਇ
तिन का किआ सालाहणा अवर सुआलिउ काइ ॥
Ŧin kā ki▫ā salāhṇā avar su▫āli▫o kā▫e.
What praise can be offered to them? What other adornments can be bestowed upon them?

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਦਰੀ ਬਾਹਰੇ ਰਾਚਹਿ ਦਾਨਿ ਨਾਇ ॥੪॥੪॥
नानक नदरी बाहरे राचहि दानि न नाइ ॥४॥४॥
Nānak naḏrī bāhre rācẖėh ḏān na nā▫e. ||4||4||
O Nanak, those who lack the Lord's Glance of Grace cherish neither charity nor the Lord's Name. ||4||4||

Yet, if you ask these dimwitted "Sant" type groups, whether this shabad is about Greed or Materialism, they will say in their, wisdom....no its about meat (a diversion to fool sangat, like Hitler created with the Jews)!:confused:

BKaur

SPNer
May 19, 2008
Gurfateh,

I am not with BabuMaan or any other Sant Dera Baba JI.
I am only with One Guru," Guru Granth Sahib Ji".
I have seen a most of Amritdhari Womens follows the Sant's Deraa or listen to Kachi Baani. We have shabad from Guru Granth Sahib ji but these deraa Sant ji sing only Kachi Baani. Atleast we know Babu Maan is not a Amritdhari sikh but These Deraa Sant ji are Amritdhari Sikh and they Play Kachi Baani WHY can not they chose Shabad Guru from Granth Sahib Ji thats all I will say
Sorry to say but this is the Truth.
Gurfateh Khalsa JI

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Gurfateh,

I am not with BabuMaan or any other Sant Dera Baba JI.
I am only with One Guru," Guru Granth Sahib Ji".
I have seen a most of Amritdhari Womens follows the Sant's Deraa or listen to Kachi Baani. We have shabad from Guru Granth Sahib ji but these deraa Sant ji sing only Kachi Baani. Atleast we know Babu Maan is not a Amritdhari sikh but These Deraa Sant ji are Amritdhari Sikh and they Play Kachi Baani WHY can not they chose Shabad Guru from Granth Sahib Ji thats all I will say
Sorry to say but this is the Truth.
Gurfateh Khalsa JI

Hi B Kaur,

I am not very concerned whether it is Kachi Bani or not. I think a good message to live in a good way can come from outside Bani.

However, these Sant/Dera/Jatha type groups create bogeymen, in order to recruit more numbers. They jump on the popularity bandwagon.

The reason why I used the above shabad as an example, is because it is exactly the same message as Babu Mann's song (a message outside Bani).

The above shabad is also a great example of how it is misused in oreder to create bogeymen, and the real message distorted by these Sant/Dera/Jatha type groups so they can get away with Lobh and Moh.

Hitler did the same. He created Bogeymen out of the Jews which distracted the public from what the designs were for himself, his friends and business backers.

The Gurus told us not too argue over controversial issues and leave it to the individual conscience. Things like Meat v Vege etc issue and many other issues are best left to the individual and are not taboo as these Jatha/Sant Deray claim. They only seek to create bogeymen out of people over such issues, so as to swell their own numbers.

We as Sikhs must always be wary of people who seek to cause division over such issues.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
The BAD Language..vulgarity..anger came form the So called "Sant babas"...thye were so ANGRY they could not control it....while they are so fond of relating stories about How Guru Arjan Ji shaib sat on a Hot plate...had hot sand poured on His ehad..was in the Heat of Summer...and Remained COOL...SUPER COOL....BUT they themselves as Sikhs of the Same Cool GURU...got out of their clothes in anger and used words that dont do them any shobha....what a "Sant" that is described in Sukhmani Sahib..and what the actual REALITY of these sants..really ??:happysingh:

sundeep kaur

SPNer
May 31, 2009
usa
every person has right to freedom of speech. every person has right to preach their religion in their own way. these rights are given to all citizens of every nation on this earth. Everyone is using these rights very well. but it is very shameful for US, "SIKHS" that we are not using our brians in proper way. guruji asked us to remain united, but i'm very sorry to say that "RULES AND PRINCIPLES OF OUR SO CALLED SGPC and other big sikh communities who claim to be proper preachers are themself a lie.
any person on this eatrh who is pointing "saints" will realize their importance at their last breathe, but then they will not have enough time to tell truth to others. if they think saints are saying KACCHI BANI. then how are they baptising so much sikhs. agr sant-mhapursh na hon te sikhi dia jraa putn vale eh ktrppanthi aap ne. vaise v india bare ki kehna. eithe te sare apne bare sochde ne. if u think gore amrit kyu shk rhe ne te oh ohna nu ja k pucho jra. fir pta lge ga jehna dia jra asi pput rhe ha white people kina stikar krde ne. ohna de muho sunoge k india ch pta ni ki ho reha, pr saints are the soul oh sikhism. mhapursha te unglia krn valia nu pehla apne anndr v jhati marni chahidi hai k ohna de apne andr kini k gurbani vsdi hai. ik vakya hoeya kafi time pehla darbar sahib ja rhe c asi mahapursha de nal jehna nu akal purkh ne vidh bna k das nu apne lr laya. te othe jdo sanu sb nu dekhya te ik sikh ne pucheya ji eh kaun ne..ik shote jehe bche ne keha ji eh sant ji ne..t eos gursikh da face impression dekhn vala c..jehre thora time pehla keh rhe c k eh te koi rbbi noor hai jehna da tej v ni jhleya janda .inni rngi hoi rooh ne...ohi kehnde eh snt ne. gurbani kehndi sant te svas svas simrn krde ,,bs ohi snt ne..fir sade jthe cho ik gurmukh ne pucheya ji apji ki ho..kehnde ji asi te gursikh ha....hun jra shyan dena gurbani ne te eh v keha hai.."o saas giras dheyae mera hr hr soi gursikh gurumn bhave."..ohi probhasha gursikh di hai te ohi snt di ohi sikh di...sb nu svaas svaas simrn da vchn hoeya na k ik duje te unglia chkn da...sikhi prchar te os din shuru hona jis din assi prchar krn valya nu prchar krn deyange..sanu koi hor ni torda..sade apne gursikh khaun vale hi ne jehre apne hthi guru nanak ji de laye te guru gobins singh ji de sjaye sikhi de bhute nu puti ja rhe ne.
daas ne apne jivn nu dekh k keha k sch ki hai..akap purkh da kotan kot sukhr hai jina ne mahapursha de mel krvaya..ni te mainu 8 saal hoge c sikh missionery te sgpc de vichara nu prdeya pr asr ik de vichara ne v ni kita..mahapursha di sngt ne eisa rng chareya k aj jehra ik pl v naal baith jave oh v gurbani nal jur janda. kyunki sade vichara ch kttrta ni.mithas hai. agg vangu tpde virodh ni..stkar te sch hai.
akap purkh sanu sb nu summt den.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Admin Note:

Dear Sundeep Kaur ji and SPN'ers:

Please avoid writing Punjabi in English language... would request you to re-post or edit above message and post it in plain English. This way your message would reach a wider audience. this is also one of the most important rule of this forum. :)

Thank you,

Admin

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
every person has right to freedom of speech. every person has right to preach their religion in their own way. these rights are given to all citizens of every nation on this earth. Everyone is using these rights very well. but it is very shameful for US, "SIKHS" that we are not using our brians in proper way. guruji asked us to remain united, but i'm very sorry to say that "RULES AND PRINCIPLES OF OUR SO CALLED SGPC and other big sikh communities who claim to be proper preachers are themself a lie.
any person on this eatrh who is pointing "saints" will realize their importance at their last breathe, but then they will not have enough time to tell truth to others. if they think saints are saying KACCHI BANI. then how are they baptising so much sikhs. agr sant-mhapursh na hon te sikhi dia jraa putn vale eh ktrppanthi aap ne. vaise v india bare ki kehna. eithe te sare apne bare sochde ne. if u think gore amrit kyu shk rhe ne te oh ohna nu ja k pucho jra. fir pta lge ga jehna dia jra asi pput rhe ha white people kina stikar krde ne. ohna de muho sunoge k india ch pta ni ki ho reha, pr saints are the soul oh sikhism. mhapursha te unglia krn valia nu pehla apne anndr v jhati marni chahidi hai k ohna de apne andr kini k gurbani vsdi hai. ik vakya hoeya kafi time pehla darbar sahib ja rhe c asi mahapursha de nal jehna nu akal purkh ne vidh bna k das nu apne lr laya. te othe jdo sanu sb nu dekhya te ik sikh ne pucheya ji eh kaun ne..ik shote jehe bche ne keha ji eh sant ji ne..t eos gursikh da face impression dekhn vala c..jehre thora time pehla keh rhe c k eh te koi rbbi noor hai jehna da tej v ni jhleya janda .inni rngi hoi rooh ne...ohi kehnde eh snt ne. gurbani kehndi sant te svas svas simrn krde ,,bs ohi snt ne..fir sade jthe cho ik gurmukh ne pucheya ji apji ki ho..kehnde ji asi te gursikh ha....hun jra shyan dena gurbani ne te eh v keha hai.."o saas giras dheyae mera hr hr soi gursikh gurumn bhave."..ohi probhasha gursikh di hai te ohi snt di ohi sikh di...sb nu svaas svaas simrn da vchn hoeya na k ik duje te unglia chkn da...sikhi prchar te os din shuru hona jis din assi prchar krn valya nu prchar krn deyange..sanu koi hor ni torda..sade apne gursikh khaun vale hi ne jehre apne hthi guru nanak ji de laye te guru gobins singh ji de sjaye sikhi de bhute nu puti ja rhe ne.
daas ne apne jivn nu dekh k keha k sch ki hai..akap purkh da kotan kot sukhr hai jina ne mahapursha de mel krvaya..ni te mainu 8 saal hoge c sikh missionery te sgpc de vichara nu prdeya pr asr ik de vichara ne v ni kita..mahapursha di sngt ne eisa rng chareya k aj jehra ik pl v naal baith jave oh v gurbani nal jur janda. kyunki sade vichara ch kttrta ni.mithas hai. agg vangu tpde virodh ni..stkar te sch hai.
akap purkh sanu sb nu summt den.

OK Lets anlyse what you said. Lets se How Guru Gobind Singh Ji baptised Sikhs compared to these Sant-Jatha Loony Tunes!

Guru Gobind Singh Ji

He promises sangat nothing, apart from hardship and pain. Infact he asks for a volunteer to give his head for him. One gets up and a thud is heard and Guruji appears with a sword dripping with blood. Most of the crowd run in terror. He does this 5 times and by the end their are only a few hundred followers left. The rest flee in terror.

Loony Tune Sant-Jatha-Dera Types

They promise takers of Amrit a great life, great wealth, all thier problems will go away etc etc. The blind sangat rush forward in their thousands.

The Difference

Now please tell me what the difference is?

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
Babbu Maan's work is quite brilliant.

My favourite song on the album 'Singh Better Than King' is 'Waheguru', but 'Ik Baba Nanak Si' is also excellent from the standpoint of corruption within the Sikh community. It's self-proclaimed "Babas" who are really just businessmen whose commodity happens to be peoples' insecurities. They trade off peoples' uncertainties, ignorances and fundamental good (and bad) natures.

Some people seem to think that Babu Maan's lifestyle exempts him from being able to espouse genuinely good points of view. But I'd much rather listen to him than some corrupt 'Baba' who wears long robes and a turban and expects people to listen to him because he wears dresses a certain way to command authority over the spineless and the brainless.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
max314, without understanding most of the language, and simply by taking in the video/visual information it is obvious that Babbu Mann is as you say "brilliant." A social commentary, each video, told without becoming sanctimonious, with a lot of humor. That makes me think that the man is commenting with love.

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
max314, without understanding most of the language, and simply by taking in the video/visual information it is obvious that Babbu Mann is as you say "brilliant." A social commentary, each video, told without becoming sanctimonious, with a lot of humor. That makes me think that the man is commenting with love.

I want to highlight the bit about humour.

I think humour is absolutely critical to gaining the correct perspective on things. It allows us to shine a light on the ludicrous. And Guru Nanak was a man who had a sense of humour. Observe, for example, the sharp, sardonic wit of a man who would stand in the middle of a Hindu ceremony of giving water to the Sun, only to turn in the opposite direction to start throwing water in the direction of his drought-ridden village. Guru Nanak was making a very incisive point, and he used humour as a tool to do it.

It's a world away from the solemn-faced worshippers who file into the Gurudwara on a Sunday afternoon. People who think enlightenment is about being miserable. It's not! It's about being happy. Ecstatic. Guru Nanak himself says it's important to enjoy oneself, to rejoice in being One with the One. It's beautiful. But in looking to the solemnity and falsely 'official' looking veneers of other religions as a benchmark for a 'proper' religion, we forget that Sikhi is really an 'anti-religion religion'. A religion that attempts to do away with the limitations that have plagued the free thought of men for thousands of years.

Humour and happiness are vital to living a wholesome life. Chardi kalä, remember? :wink:

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
That's very kind of you to say so, Randip. I'm delighted you feel a connection with what I'm saying :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: