Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Hard Talk Idols of Sikh Gurus being sold in market

Discussion in 'Hard Talk' started by Admin Singh, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Admin Singh

Admin Singh
    Expand Collapse
    Admin SPNer

Jun 1, 2004
    The markets are flooded with idols costing between Rs 50 and Rs 1,500. Made of marble powder, metal or stone and gold plated, they are being sold in leading gift shops.

A random survey reveales that a majority of these idols are imported from China, besides being sourced from Mumbai, Moradabad and Rajasthan. These idols are also available online. The objection is that Sikhism prohibits idol worship and only paintings of the 10 Sikh Gurus (Source ?) could be used for display or on calendars.

What is your take on this issue?
  2. Loading...

3. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur Canada
    Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

Jul 21, 2012
    Even paintings can sometimes step into the boundaries of idol worship...

I don't think they are ok personally. But I do have one of those tiny car dash photo things with all 10 gurus paintings. It's about 2" square. I keep it on my desk. I sometimes worry I am doing something wrong even with that.
  4. Ishna

Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

May 9, 2006
    Statues don't worship statues, people worship statues. :) The statues themselves are fine (no they're not, they're gaudy as heck!). The real failing is in the lack of education teaching people not to worship the idols, or the paintings.

Actually, evidence of selling the paperweights isn't enough for me - I'd like to see evidence of people worshiping them before getting my kacchera in a bunch.

I have a small picture of Guru Nanak Sahib Ji stuck to the side of my computer monitor at work. Together with a quote "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. It has only just not occurred to me how these two things really go together. Ik Onkar!
  5. Harry Haller

Harry Haller United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

Jan 31, 2011
    I a not sure this makes any sense, although paintings can be used for display or calendars, those paintings still get worshipped, surrounded with garlands, etc etc.

Idol worship takes place at every Gurudwara in the world, whether it is the worship of the stairs, the building, the floor outside the building, to me, personally, that is my own personal opinion, not to be taken as fact, or as an invite for legal proceedings, any action that assumes God is only present in a nominated area seems strange.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. guru Daas

guru Daas Australia
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

Jan 10, 2016
    That's a major problem in the panth today.some sikhs don't even understand what Sikhi truly is.I see people bowing down to Nishan sahib & circling
    around it all the time & when i ask them that why are they doing that did guru ji tell them to do that?they have no answer. Nishan sahib is a symbol of the Khalsa Set up by Guru Hargobind singh ji first & then used throughout the times. The main purpose of it was that anyone in need of help,food or shelter would see it from a long distance & they would know that its the Khalsa territory.
    Its not just the Nishan sahib,people bow down to Stairs,doors,entrance gates & buildings etc. Our guru ji tells us that a sikh shouldn't bow down before anyone or anything except SGGS ji.
    None of our gurus ever told us to worship them or bow down to them. They have always told us to praise that divine Akal Purakh who is the creator of us all.
    No disrespect to anyone just my personal opinion.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Joginder Singh Foley

Joginder Singh Foley United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

Jan 26, 2008
    Only Guruji alone is worth and due our divination. As well as pushing the boundries of the Rehit Maryadia they are at best tacky bits of C#@& only fit for the tourist trade that no true Singh or Singhni would want in his or her home or workplace al I have at work is a large photo pinned on my notice board of the Harimander Sahib and some Singh bros doing Gatka

• Like Like x 1