• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

World I Will Sell All 223 Kidnapped Nigerian Girls In Market, Boko Haram Leader Says

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
AFP | May 5, 2014, 07.40 PM IST Times of India

KANO (Nigeria): Boko Haram on Monday claimed the abduction of hundreds of schoolgirls in northern Nigeria that has triggered international outrage, threatening to sell them as "slaves".

"I abducted your girls," the Islamist group's leader Abubakar Shekau said in the 57-minute video obtained by AFP, referring to the 276 students kidnapped from their boarding school in Chibok, Borno state, three weeks ago.

Fifty-three of the girls managed to escape from the militants but 223 were still being held, state police said last Friday.

Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan and his administration have been under mounting pressure to act since gunmen stormed the girls' school on April 14, forcing them from their dormitories onto truck and driving them into the bush.

Jonathan pledged in his first public comments on the abduction on Sunday evening that the government would find the girls and return them to their families.

"This is a trying time for this country ... it is painful," he said, adding that he had sought help from foreign powers, including the United States, to help Nigeria tackle its security challenges.

In the latest video, Shekau is seen dressed in combat fatigues standing in front of an armoured personnel carrier and two pick-up trucks mounted with submachine guns.

Six armed men stand beside him with their faces covered. The images are blurry at times but zoom in to Shekau, who speaks in the local Hausa language and Arabic, as well as English.

For the first 14 minutes, he takes a swipe at democracy, western education, efforts for Muslims and Christians to live in peace and rails against non-believers in Islam.

"I abducted a girl at a western education school and you are disturbed. I said western education should end. Western education should end. Girls, you should go and get married," he said.

"I will repeat this: western education should fold up. I abducted your girls."

"I will sell them in the market, by Allah," Shekau said, claiming his group was holding the girls as "slaves".

"I will marry off a woman at the age of 12. I will marry off a girl at the age of nine," he said elsewhere in the video.

Unconfirmed reports from local leaders in Chibok suggested that the girls had been taken across Nigeria's borders with Chad and Cameroon and sold as brides for as little as $12.

Boko Haram has been waging an increasingly deadly insurgency in Nigeria's north that has claimed more than 1,500 lives this year alone.

The violence has largely been confined to three northeastern states — Borno, Yobe and Adamawa — which have been under a state of emergency since May last year.

Previous attacks have targeted government offices and military installations as well as Christian churches and schools teaching a so-called Western curriculum.

But two car bomb attacks that killed more than 90 in the same suburb of the capital Abuja in three weeks have raised fears that the Islamists are changing tactics and targets.

On Friday, the United States issued a security warning to its citizens in Nigeria to avoid two Sheraton hotels in the financial capital, Lagos, because of an unspecified threat.

Unprecedented security has been put in place for the regional meeting of the World Economic Forum, which takes place in Abuja from Wednesday to Friday.

International attention on the plight of the missing girls was initially slow but has grown quickly in recent days, in part because of a social media campaign — #bringbackourgirls.

US secretary of state John Kerry vowed Saturday that Washington would do "everything possible" to help Nigeria deal with Boko Haram militants and bring the children home.

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
Sikh radicals refuse to remove their kirpans when they shower, or refuse to shave parts of their hair for surgery. These guys kidnap women and threaten to sell them into slavery. I see a recurring pattern with these fundamentalist groups all over the world. The Mughals, Afghans, Persians and Arabs also did the same thing in India. If indeed they do not represent the religion, or are misinterpreting it, then from where do they justify their actions?

ActsOfGod

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
Where are the Khalsa warriors who would rescue these girls in a heartbeat, and mete out justice to the evil and the wicked tyrants like Boko Haram? Why is the Khalsa sleeping while these kinds of injustices prevail in the world today? What did Guru Gobind Singh Sahib create the Khalsa for? He wouldn't have condoned this, he would have sent the best and bravest to fight against this injustice and to save those poor children.

The panth is in a really sorry state. Everyone declares "Akal Purakh ki Fauj" but when it comes times to act, nobody steps up!

Instead it's all about infighting, politics, ego, booze, lavish lifestyles, money, family politics, meaningless lawsuits and demonstrations, ego, doubt, following "sants", superstition, rituals, etc. etc.

The only people who seem to be following Guru's Hukam in any real sense is Khalsa Aid (UK). They are actually making an impact in the world and bringing honor and dignity back to the panth.

This is so depressing and so pathetic. The chasm between the declaration and the reality is so great, one wonders if it can ever be bridged. You can't keep living on your past glories from hundreds of years ago. You have to do something in the here and now, or else all the sacrifices and heroic deeds of your forefathers will be lost forever, and all your future generations too.

:(

AoG

Abneet

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
Where are the Khalsa warriors who would rescue these girls in a heartbeat, and mete out justice to the evil and the wicked tyrants like Boko Haram? Why is the Khalsa sleeping while these kinds of injustices prevail in the world today? What did Guru Gobind Singh Sahib create the Khalsa for? He wouldn't have condoned this, he would have sent the best and bravest to fight against this injustice and to save those poor children.

The panth is in a really sorry state. Everyone declares "Akal Purakh ki Fauj" but when it comes times to act, nobody steps up!

Instead it's all about infighting, politics, ego, booze, lavish lifestyles, money, family politics, meaningless lawsuits and demonstrations, ego, doubt, following "sants", superstition, rituals, etc. etc.

The only people who seem to be following Guru's Hukam in any real sense is Khalsa Aid (UK). They are actually making an impact in the world and bringing honor and dignity back to the panth.

This is so depressing and so pathetic. The chasm between the declaration and the reality is so great, one wonders if it can ever be bridged. You can't keep living on your past glories from hundreds of years ago. You have to do something in the here and now, or else all the sacrifices and heroic deeds of your forefathers will be lost forever, and all your future generations too.

:(

AoG

Sikhs are too busy shouting Khalistan slogans aboard India......Guru Gobind Singh said himself when the Khalsa go the way of the world I will have no faith in them.

ActsOfGod

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
Sikhs are too busy shouting Khalistan slogans aboard India......Guru Gobind Singh said himself when the Khalsa go the way of the world I will have no faith in them.

If our Guru himself has indeed left us (due to our own foolishness), then we are doomed. :(

AoG

Abneet

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
If our Guru himself has indeed left us (due to our own foolishness), then we are doomed. :(

AoG

True but no excuse to have faith though Sikhs have been in worse conditions in times throughout the past but we always have pulled through. As of right now the panth is silent as it could be. Who knows what happens in the nearby future. The more I see these Islamic extremists move in other countries and impose Sharia law I question how long till something real bad happens.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: