• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Spiritual I Went To Church Today

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
My best friend is Catholic. She's not very strict, and I think she's more of a cultural Catholic (she's Italian), but she likes to go to church sometimes. Because I'm into new experiences, and if they are spiritual, more the better, I go with her, because she doesn't really like to go alone.

Today we didn't go to a Catholic church. We went to a Protestant one. An evangelical-ish one. Where they had a live band playing rock music, put their arms in the air and swayed, put their hands palm-up to pray, called out 'in the name of Jesus!' a lot, and talked in tongues.

It was a new experience for both of us. Actually, to be honest, it was quite invigorating.

The sermon was delivered with charisma and passion. And it was in English, which is a rare treat for me.

For those interested, here's what the sermon was about. Not interested, skip down to 'End'.
The pastor spoke about priorities, and gave the example of Jesus holding a dinner, and when it was ready he sent his servant out to gather the invitees, but suddenly they had other things to do (new land to measure, new oxen to test, new wife to bed) and asked to be excused. Jesus said that they wouldn't get to eat bread in the Kingdom, then. The pastor likened this to our lives today, and how our first priority should be God and not our new house, or new car, or even our relationships. He admitted that he 'shouldn't be preaching this to Christians, as they are likely to get out of his church and never come back' but he told us how Jesus said his disciples should hate their mother, father, siblings, and children. I admire the pastor for admitting it.

The next part of his sermon was about 'believing is seeing' and how, by faith and prayer, our beliefs can become our reality. He talked about Elijah in prayer at the top of Mount Carmel, and how he was so convinced after having a vision of rain coming to the drought-ravaged area he was in, that he asked his servant to check seven times before the servant caught sight of a small cloud. Elijah didn't give up after the second, third or fourth prayer.

Pastor also spoke about the 'war' that is raging between angels and demons, and how humans are caught up in the middle of it. I didn't connect with this literal interpretation, but instead understood it as a 'war' between our higher and lower natures; the good and bad in us, the haumai and the Tuhi. Pastor said our war is not with our bodies. It is when we are called away from God or our mission, when we are threatened, or tempted, or knocked down. But, like Elijah, we've got to keep praying and have faith, and stay with God, and what we believe, we will see.
End

After all of this, I rode my motorbike home the long way. I thought about how, as Sikhs, our first priority should also be Guru; we give our own heads (ego-sense/separation) so that Guru becomes our head, and we can see with Its eyes, and walk according to Its Hukam, not our own. We go where we are called, with full confidence and enthusiasm. Our Guru is full of joy and love, without fear or hatred, bursting over with potential and possibilities and creativity, and when we give our own self-centered minds over to It, it is replaced by so much more - all this joy, love, potential and creativity of the Guru. Wow.

What I came away feeling was the Sikh equivalent of the pastor's vision. A Sikh equivalent of the experience delivered in that church. Instead of just katha delivered in Punjabi for 15 minutes, or long explanations of bania with reference to Sikh history, how about a program in English, for the younger sangat, where the Gurbani concepts are applied to examples of life today, and we're all encouraged to matha tek to our Guru with feeling and purpose.

I want to bring that energy out of the Gurbani and show it to others so they might experience it, fall in love with it, and live Guruji's message, too.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I asked uncle from Gurdwara if I could deliver the equivalent of a sermon in English about Sikhi... he said it could replace at Gurbani class session. If I wanted to speak in Darbar Sahib, I'd need permission from the Committee. Fair enough.

Another friend said you probably need credentials to be able to do that, anyway. And I don't have any. Hmm. I think I'll stick to blog posts.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
I asked uncle from Gurdwara if I could deliver the equivalent of a sermon in English about Sikhi... he said it could replace at Gurbani class session. If I wanted to speak in Darbar Sahib, I'd need permission from the Committee. Fair enough.

Another friend said you probably need credentials to be able to do that, anyway. And I don't have any. Hmm. I think I'll stick to blog posts.

NOBODY requires any credentials to speak to sangat! In fact there are times we encourage the kids to do katha a small speech etc. We have members reading and translating into their own meaning various shabads and then delivering that to sangat. We ALL get to share and learn that way! If we allowed those with certain 'credentials' to speak... oh my!

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Ishna ji,

Guru Fateh.

I think it is a great idea speaking during the diwan. I know many committees have these rules in the Gurdwaras for the decorum purposes and hence they are just formalities. Talk to the Uncle ji and have a meeting with the committee about your idea, videotape it and post it here.

You have a treasure within yourself and Sikhi demands from us to share that.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
WELL. I think only Sikh priests should be allowed to deliver katha.

Are you serious? There are no Sikh priests? OK, then, only ordained Sikh clergy.

Wait a blooming minute. Are you seriously telling me that there is no Sikh clergy, ordained or otherwise?

Well, stuff gramma in the Thanksgiving turkey and serve it for desert! I never heard of such a thing!

(I guess my point is that one Sikh has no more right to deliver a katha than any other Sikh. Of course, you never know how
what you say will be received, but isn't that always the case?)

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
it is done by the gurdwara committees to assert their power and push others back. they are ignorant and want to force their ideology on others. so that they do not lose their grip on gurdwara.
i will tell my own story. I went to gurdwara and the management had a cassette playing with sabads. there were audience sitting there. I asked the granthy if he could shut down the tape and let me sit at sggs hajury. i will explain to the audience the meaning of gurbani. He replied that you wear pants not kachera, you wear socks. socks are not allowed there. so you cannot sit there and explain. that is what they do. I did not go back to that gurdwara.

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
he saw me wearing pants. even you can see on this site if someone is wearing pants or kachehra, but what do you think and want to know?

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
i am a good historian and kathakar, but I do not wear kachehra. you also can hide by wearing a pants or salwar. but the pants will be objectionable to the gurdwara bhai. i can tell you right here who wears kachehra and you can ask them. anyone who finds faults with others post wears a kechehra. the same forma applies here also as in gurdwara. you are an administrator. you have better access than me. so find out bur still may have difficulty doing katha. if you are not a lier or lawyer you cannot do katha

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: