• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

I Feel That A Lot Of Sikh's Are Spiritually Dead

Theologian

SPNer
Jan 7, 2017
Spiritual Warzone
Hello brothers and sisters,
I am posting to express my view & to see other Sikhs view on this. Now a days most Sikhs are concerned with how one looks, both religious Sikhs and the usual busy day to day Sikh. I have not come across a proper Sikh for so long now. My definition of a proper Sikh is, one that lives by how the SGGS expresses. If the case is agreed that a lot of Sikhs are spiritually dead, then the social thinking of Sikhs has no strong foundation and this is the result of the current state of affairs. I have my views on where and why, but it has no credence if many do not share this view. Please let us know how you honestly feel.

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
I am posting to express my view & to see other Sikhs view on this. Now a days most Sikhs are concerned with how one looks, both religious Sikhs and the usual busy day to day Sikh. I have not come across a proper Sikh for so long now. My definition of a proper Sikh is, one that lives by how the SGGS expresses. If the case is agreed that a lot of Sikhs are spiritually dead, then the social thinking of Sikhs has no strong foundation and this is the result of the current state of affairs. I have my views on where and why, but it has no credence if many do not share this view. Please let us know how you honestly feel.

Yep spirituality is almost dead. Sad but true. Society Is a bullshit gimmick. Everyones busy living their own lives.

Pathfinder

Writer
SPNer
Sep 5, 2016
I have not come across a proper Sikh for so long now.

Please do hang around the forum awhile and you will meet some wonderful inspirational Sikhs here as i have.

My definition of a proper Sikh is, one that lives by how the SGGS expresses.

true, but there is no improper or proper Sikh though. A Sikh is simply a Sikh like you stated - one who lives by the Hukam of Waheguru Ji.

If the case is agreed that a lot of Sikhs are spiritually dead, then the social thinking of Sikhs has no strong foundation and this is the result of the current state of affairs.

i would have to disagree here as Sikhi is a very intimate emotion that most not are comfortable demonstrating - and thus rightly so, as it is a very personal connection. Besides on what grounds or by what rights can one judge another? how can i judge you? how can i assume if you are spiritually alive or if i am am spiritually undead in the first place?.

Sikhi has never had any respect for numbers ever. Each and every time Sikhs have been outnumbered they have managed to overcome the odds. The strong foundation runs deep and is not affected by a few less or more of us because the pillars or the foundations that the Nanak's laid run deep, very deep.

There are so many inspirational Sikhs i meet everyday that i curse myself at times for having been so blind before. we have two converts working as sewadars in our Gurudwara and both have turned Amritdharis. Both south indian and no way previously connected to Sikhism, Punjab or the Nanak's - both inspire the local sangat tremendously. The faith they possess is enviable.

i once asked the bhaiji at our Gurudwara as to how does he find the insiprational on a daily basis to live in the Rehat and he told me that he was told at the Gurmukh school that his life would be meaningful if he could Inspire (not convert) at least Five sikhs to partake the Amrit and live in the Rehat.

There is this Bibiji who is overweight, old and has severe joint pains but is there in the Gurudwara even before twilight each day. a storm that was huge devastated our city but could not stop this bibji from her sewa. (Google - Hudhud storm) . In the midst of the rubble, chaos - she was still there with the Shabad on her lips.

There is this dhabha owner who without any naga (without being absent) for the last three years at least hums a shabad as he frets over amusingly over the decoration of the most beautiful flowers in the Gurudwara each morning. Lol, and we are still at the Gurudwara - is someone keeping count of the Sikhs / inspirational Sikhs we met so far already.

i could go on and on, point is - would it make you a better Sikh if there were more inspirational Sikhs?. No, in a way - it does not matter - if i cannot see inspirational Sikhs it only means i do not wish to get inspired. on second thoughts is the list of inspiration from the Ten Nanak's, Shabazyade, Shaeeds, Bhaghats, endless others not enough?. Just one Guru Gobind Singh Ji seems overwhelming in inspiration to be brutally honest.

The current state of affairs to me is a sad reflection of my shortcomings- of myself , not you or the others. yes - i am alone responsible for it. Because if i can allow myself to get shamelessly inspired i must use the inspiration to live in the rehat without faltering. Where there is the Khalsa (even one - does not matter) there is nothing but chardi kala.

There were a lot of pretenders and fake followers during the Ten Nanak's reign too - it was never an ideal world and sadly it is the same now. But do we we waste time on the pretenders or fakes of the old - no. So what makes the Un-inspiring clan so important now?.

Just ignore them like we ought to and instead judge and correct ourselves. May we Live in the Rehat and inspire at least five others like the Bhaiji believes he should do. Let us remind ourselves that there was Bhai Kanhaiya ji who saw Nanak in the enemy too - how can we then not see the Akaal in a Sikh?.

on a lighter note:
- count the number of black Suv's that you come across today
- do this for a week and note the number each day - believe me it will increase each day
(the number of Suv's probably remain the same but you get better at spotting - the reason for the increase)
- next week replace the Suv's with Good people, kind souls, inspirational souls
(believe me the number will increase each day too)

so, let us inspire and get inspired. If the world is bad its because we make it so, lets clean up the mess - its time we do. if i were good, you would see my goodness and be good too. if we were both good - how could the state of affairs be bad?. i will therefore strive to be good and that is not tough too. I just need to be a Sikh, feel like a Sikh, live like a Sikh....

Sorry for the long post Theologian Ji.. just some random reflection on your post.

Last edited:

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016

I frequently can feel the same way you do. However, I don't feel it is solely a Sikh issue necessarily, but a human issue many of us face today. Generally, it does feel that there is a lack of spirituality, and instead, superficiality and materialism are worshiped, and encouraged. Feeding the ego is encouraged. Most people seem to live a very surface level existence, either unable, unwilling, or too afraid to embark deeper within themselves.

That being said, as @Pathfinder has eloquently put forth, there are inspirational Sikhs all around us, and regardless of what we may think others are doing, its up to us to be a Sikh and live as a Sikh.

We are all here on our own journeys. Regardless of how desolate or heart-breaking or hopeless it can appear out there, the best that we can do is ignite that spirituality within ourselves.

Dalvinder Singh Grewal

Writer
Historian
SPNer
Jan 3, 2010
It is not essential that everyone should be spiritually conscious. In the old times those who were spiritually inclined could be counted on fingers. Now the number is much more as we watch. Further it is generally seen that the spiritually inclined people do not wish to be seen in public hence generally cannot be accounted for. God however remains centre of faith and common attraction of 90% of the world population.

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
How can 'lots of Sikhs be spiritually dead' ? Sounds like a oxy{censored} to me

Theologian

SPNer
Jan 7, 2017
Spiritual Warzone
Please do hang around the forum awhile and you will meet some wonderful inspirational Sikhs here as i have.

true, but there is no improper or proper Sikh though. A Sikh is simply a Sikh like you stated - one who lives by the Hukam of Waheguru Ji.

i would have to disagree here as Sikhi is a very intimate emotion that most not are comfortable demonstrating - and thus rightly so, as it is a very personal connection. Besides on what grounds or by what rights can one judge another? how can i judge you? how can i assume if you are spiritually alive or if i am am spiritually undead in the first place?.

Sikhi has never had any respect for numbers ever. Each and every time Sikhs have been outnumbered they have managed to overcome the odds. The strong foundation runs deep and is not affected by a few less or more of us because the pillars or the foundations that the Nanak's laid run deep, very deep.

There are so many inspirational Sikhs i meet everyday that i curse myself at times for having been so blind before. we have two converts working as sewadars in our Gurudwara and both have turned Amritdharis. Both south indian and no way previously connected to Sikhism, Punjab or the Nanak's - both inspire the local sangat tremendously. The faith they possess is enviable.

i once asked the bhaiji at our Gurudwara as to how does he find the insiprational on a daily basis to live in the Rehat and he told me that he was told at the Gurmukh school that his life would be meaningful if he could Inspire (not convert) at least Five sikhs to partake the Amrit and live in the Rehat.

There is this Bibiji who is overweight, old and has severe joint pains but is there in the Gurudwara even before twilight each day. a storm that was huge devastated our city but could not stop this bibji from her sewa. (Google - Hudhud storm) . In the midst of the rubble, chaos - she was still there with the Shabad on her lips.

There is this dhabha owner who without any naga (without being absent) for the last three years at least hums a shabad as he frets over amusingly over the decoration of the most beautiful flowers in the Gurudwara each morning. Lol, and we are still at the Gurudwara - is someone keeping count of the Sikhs / inspirational Sikhs we met so far already.

i could go on and on, point is - would it make you a better Sikh if there were more inspirational Sikhs?. No, in a way - it does not matter - if i cannot see inspirational Sikhs it only means i do not wish to get inspired. on second thoughts is the list of inspiration from the Ten Nanak's, Shabazyade, Shaeeds, Bhaghats, endless others not enough?. Just one Guru Gobind Singh Ji seems overwhelming in inspiration to be brutally honest.

The current state of affairs to me is a sad reflection of my shortcomings- of myself , not you or the others. yes - i am alone responsible for it. Because if i can allow myself to get shamelessly inspired i must use the inspiration to live in the rehat without faltering. Where there is the Khalsa (even one - does not matter) there is nothing but chardi kala.

There were a lot of pretenders and fake followers during the Ten Nanak's reign too - it was never an ideal world and sadly it is the same now. But do we we waste time on the pretenders or fakes of the old - no. So what makes the Un-inspiring clan so important now?.

Just ignore them like we ought to and instead judge and correct ourselves. May we Live in the Rehat and inspire at least five others like the Bhaiji believes he should do. Let us remind ourselves that there was Bhai Kanhaiya ji who saw Nanak in the enemy too - how can we then not see the Akaal in a Sikh?.

on a lighter note:
- count the number of black Suv's that you come across today
- do this for a week and note the number each day - believe me it will increase each day
(the number of Suv's probably remain the same but you get better at spotting - the reason for the increase)
- next week replace the Suv's with Good people, kind souls, inspirational souls
(believe me the number will increase each day too)

so, let us inspire and get inspired. If the world is bad its because we make it so, lets clean up the mess - its time we do. if i were good, you would see my goodness and be good too. if we were both good - how could the state of affairs be bad?. i will therefore strive to be good and that is not tough too. I just need to be a Sikh, feel like a Sikh, live like a Sikh....

Sorry for the long post Theologian Ji.. just some random reflection on your post.

Hello,

I think you do not understand when judgement is not to be executed upon. Judgement is not to be executed upon an individual according to sins or misdeeds, which is why it is left to God, as only God can know the inner thinking's of his creation, and the reason why a deed was so. A wise discernment is needed to situations in life, like which party group is better suited to run my country as government? Is the Republican/Labour party better than the independent party? Wise Judgement is encouraged in making the right choices in life, but to bring one down on their actions serves no benefit apart from one exception, where it is ok.

If the foundations of Sikhism are very strong, then why on other posts to this day are people so confused on if reincarnation is still a lie or if heaven/hell is the right answer. This is just one example I am giving without needing to bring more up.

From my research the very foundations of Sikhism was removed in the 1920's - 1950's from the most powerful group of Sikhs for a large sum of money, even to the point of adjusting literature. This is a whole another topic, so please do not push this forward, if you wish start a thread and I will reply, 'when I get the time'.

If you feel in the Sangat you come across inspirational Sikhs, I can not comment, all I can say is the most genuine real Sikhs that are interested and are the future are Caucasian Sikhs, who have gave up nearly everything to follow this path, actually I would say more than everything. Unfortunately there are so many false teachers out there and due to external influences these false teachers are promoted highly like Guruka Singh I think who represents SikhNet pushes highly false material, if anything he is more successful than the several smaller ones that are trying to do good for the faith. Then you have others like Basics of Sikhi, who are genuinely trying to do good and are possibly the future, but they need the knowledge and discernment to be able to teach. If someone does not have the teaching skills, how can they teach?

I was not pushing the inspirational Sikh agenda when I posted, I was trying to reflect the current state, being inspirational is one thing, and being a dedicated Sikh is another. A dedicated Sikh is very rare to find, one who lives by the text. Many I know and have asked, most say we don't even know 1. Even a beginner can be inspirational, but once they live the life without partaking in pleasure pleasing things and sinful funs, will they fall? Most do, but most fall at the first step.

Unfortunately everything has a reason, even for the dire state of Sikhi today. You can fix a tyre so many times with plasters till eventually it is covered, then eventually it gives way.

Theologian

SPNer
Jan 7, 2017
Spiritual Warzone
I frequently can feel the same way you do. However, I don't feel it is solely a Sikh issue necessarily, but a human issue many of us face today. Generally, it does feel that there is a lack of spirituality, and instead, superficiality and materialism are worshiped, and encouraged. Feeding the ego is encouraged. Most people seem to live a very surface level existence, either unable, unwilling, or too afraid to embark deeper within themselves.

That being said, as @Pathfinder has eloquently put forth, there are inspirational Sikhs all around us, and regardless of what we may think others are doing, its up to us to be a Sikh and live as a Sikh.

We are all here on our own journeys. Regardless of how desolate or heart-breaking or hopeless it can appear out there, the best that we can do is ignite that spirituality within ourselves.

Yes I agree this is common with most religions in regards to being faithless and living sinful. But the difference is the faithful ones are so disciplined in their faith. Like a Muslim will pray 5 times a day, will always go to the Mosque on Friday lunchtimes even if at work, and like Jews will not use electrical items for half the day and some not even use cars as well, and Christians try to live loving everyone, even their enemies & have very similar basic teachings that are same to Sikhism, probably is the most closest religion to Sikhism out of all of them, then unfortunately due to the societal influences of pre-India, the religion of serpents.

Theologian

SPNer
Jan 7, 2017
Spiritual Warzone
It is not essential that everyone should be spiritually conscious. In the old times those who were spiritually inclined could be counted on fingers. Now the number is much more as we watch. Further it is generally seen that the spiritually inclined people do not wish to be seen in public hence generally cannot be accounted for. God however remains centre of faith and common attraction of 90% of the world population.
My opinion is 100% opposite

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
Yes I agree this is common with most religions in regards to being faithless and living sinful. But the difference is the faithful ones are so disciplined in their faith. Like a Muslim will pray 5 times a day, will always go to the Mosque on Friday lunchtimes even if at work,

So all a Muslim has to do is pray 5 times a day to be considered faithful and spiritual? What if the Muslim rarely prayed 5 times a day, but still had tremendous love for God and humanity, and devoted his life to doing charity work?

then unfortunately due to the societal influences of pre-India, the religion of serpents.

I didn't understand this last part, can you please elaborate?

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
What measures do you use to assert spirituality has declined?

We humans waste time playing the game of life instead of finding balance to always speak from a balanced mind.

We love each other and hate each other, we attach ourselves to fragments of the khel. But thats all just bullsh*t frequency that none of us can see past.

Theres only One.

Mayas always going to suck you in and spit you out, it's a never ending cycle.

Theologian

SPNer
Jan 7, 2017
Spiritual Warzone
Specifically, how would you define a dedicated Sikh?
At the bare minimum I would expect a dedicated Sikh, who lives by the text, as a 'rough' answer; to treat everyone equally rather than when meeting someone for the first time, to ask their caste or refer to another by saying 'That Thurkan went to...'; and also not to focus on outwardly appearances or behaviour, and the main thing I would be interested in seeing is a dedicated Sikh speaking and exchanging view points on the text - Which rarely happens. I mean is a religion not taught primarily by their text? Should this not be the primary focus rather than the current opposite.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: