• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Hard Talk How Many Sikhs Have Married Out Of Caste/race?

Have You Married Out of Your Caste/Race/Tribe? Why or Why Not?

• Yes

Votes: 113 38.4%
  • No

Votes: 181 61.6%

• Total voters

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Re: How many sikhs have married out of Caste/Race

May be when more punjabi sikhs will see white sikhs then there thinking will change.

You may have a point. A few years ago I went to an all night kirtan thing at a Gurdwara in Southall. During my time there I must have seen between 6000-10000 Sikhs of which I saw three other white men. yet if there is even one white man or woman who holds Guru ji in their heart, and abides by the Rehat, then there is indeed such a thing as a white Sikh, no?

Dec 2, 2007

edited

JaskaranSingh Ji,

You may re-post your comments, rephrased in a pleasant manner.
~ namjap ~

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2007

WARNING FROM MODERATOR

Warning is given to you for harrassment of fellow member!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

jazkohli

SPNer
Nov 22, 2004
China (Shanghai)
Re: How Many Siks Have Married out Of Jaat/Zaat (Caste/Race)

SSA to all,

i got married to girl from my caste, its because of my family bounds, but i personally think that it is not correct. i believe that you should be married to girl/boy who you feel is a sort of perfect for you. though me and my wife are very happy and make good couple, but she is my parents choice.

its not that i want to go against my parents of have something in my heart for my wife. i try to give her as much as i can. but this is a post in which i am just expressing my views.

regards
Jasdeep

Apr 4, 2007

can a sikh girl marry a guy that isnt a sihk?

CAN she? yes, of course, she is free to make her own decisions.

SHOULD she? no, she should only marry a sikh.

"they are not said to be husband and wife who merely sit together, they alone are called husband and wife who have one light in two bodies"
-SGGS p, 788.

Apr 4, 2007

i'm a white sikh engaged to a mixed-caste punjabi sikh. what matters is that we share sikhi.

update: Raman and i are now married... his parents are very happy for us and gave their blessing freely. all of their friends are excited to see pictures of the "gori sikh". :) everyone in our gurdwara is quite happy for us and treats us like they would any other married sikh couple.

with the exception of one very loud racist i had the misfortune of running across, everyone has been very accepting of our marriage.

i think that as sikhs move all over the world, and as more non-punjabis embrace sikhism, inter-racial marriages will become more normal, just as they have in western culture.

confused343

SPNer
Dec 30, 2007

is a sikh woman truely free to make her own decision as to who se can marry. utimately, how much pressure wil she get off her parents to marry a sikh. and will she be looked down upon for doin so?

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

A great difference exists between boys/man and girls/women. Maturity is faster in a woman than man. At 17, while a girl can operate like an adult, boys on the other hand are still exchanging baseball cards.

Girls are given more responsibilities than boys and expected to change more frequently than boys. Thus a girl happens to go thru a great deal of stress during this frequently changing process. Confusion is often the result.

But Sikhism gives equality to both male and female. So let's separate the traditional issues from the religious.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK

CAN she? yes, of course, she is free to make her own decisions.

SHOULD she? no, she should only marry a sikh.

"they are not said to be husband and wife who merely sit together, they alone are called husband and wife who have one light in two bodies"
-SGGS p, 788.

And that also goes for men? Should a Sikh man marry a non Sikh girl?

Apr 4, 2007

gurbani doesn't make many distinctions between men and women... it seems that whatever applies to one should apply to the other.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK

gurbani doesn't make many distinctions between men and women... it seems that whatever applies to one should apply to the other.

Yes I agree.

Although I am a Sikh man married to an Atheist woman. We have been married for 17 years now, have two children both currently atheist, and I converted about 8 years ago.

So am I doing wrong by staying married to my wife, and not insisting that my kids become Sikh?

Or is it better to stay with the woman I fell in love with, and leave my children to make up their own minds?

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Yes I agree.

Although I am a Sikh man married to an Atheist woman. We have been married for 17 years now, have two children both currently atheist, and I converted about 8 years ago.

So am I doing wrong by staying married to my wife, and not insisting that my kids become Sikh?

Or is it better to stay with the woman I fell in love with, and leave my children to make up their own minds?

Lee,

In my opinion, you need to work out your priorities. Most important of all is believing in the humane qualities and living by them. Within them are included the moral and spiritual values which matter. Maintain your family harmony and eqi-balance. Here are the virtues:-

Divine VirtuesIt is the divine qualities that make man a gentle or a noble man and enable a person to become great.

Cheerfulness stands high among these. As a flower spreads its freshness and fragrance all round in the atmosphere, a smile on man's face cheer up the spirit of others who come in his sphere. Thus, a cheerful man does silent service to others.

Tolerance and patience too are sterling qualities. They give to man's mind the strength of steel. Like the seat-cushions or the buffer springs, they work as shock-absorbers in life. One who has these can withstand great hardships and bumps.

Sweetness of language and temper is another great virtue. One who discerns only the good qualities of others, is a man of great merit. As a bee collects sweetness from flowers, so does a man who has an eye for others' merits, gather good points, and he himself also becomes a store of sweetness like a honey-comb.

Humility is another high quality. One who thinks himself to be a humble man, is considered by others to be a great man or a saint. A king, wearing a crown rules over his kingdom only, but a man having humility, though without a crown, is a king in his own right; his kingdom knows not the barriers of territory or time, for he rules over the hearts of men of all ages.

Fearlessness saves man from worries and suspicion that cause pain, as much as a person being hanged on the gallows feels. Thus, he lives a carefree life as against a coward who, as the saying goes, dies many times before death.

Contentment is of very great merit. A man who is contented is richer than the wealthiest man in the world, for he is not riding the wild horse of unfulfilled wishes. He considers God's knowledge as so many gems being showered on him by God, and looks upon his righteous actions and his yoga as the great treasure.

Self-confidence is undeniably a very great task. It is this that enables man to consider a mountain as a molehill whereas one who lacks in this quality looks upon a molehill as a mountain.

Straightforwardness enables man to fit better in society. People do not have to be afraid of his intrigues or his tricks. On the other hand, a crooked man is like that nail or a peg which has many bends.

Again, service to others and the spirit of sacrifice are qualities that make a man truly great and happy.

These and many other divine virtues come naturally to anyone who practices meditation as he/she establishes a link with God who is the perennial source of these.

Apr 4, 2007

Yes I agree.

if you and your wife are happy, why let religion divide you? :) i think it's a general rule of thumb for sikhs when choosing a mate to seek out another sikh, but if you convert after marriage, it seems to me you should probably stick with the wife and kids. :D

of course, only you can know how to manage your marriage. :)

gitu

SPNer
Dec 11, 2005

Unfortunately I see alot of racism by some "sikhs" against sikh people who marry outside of race...black, white, asian, etc. this goes against what the teachings are. in order for the religion to prosper, these practices should be dispelled.

punjabikiren

SPNer
Nov 28, 2007
staffs

;) sat sri akal
well i m a punjabi guy n its still time for me to get married as i m still completing my college. yes i would love to marry a punajbi or a sikh girl as i find them far more pretty, religious, devoted, faithful, etc. than others. still it depends on for whom i fell for. ofcourse being a punjabi guy caste n religion is not a problem for me n i will marry girl of any caste if i m in love with her. for me love matters not caste or religion.;)

well sed in luv u luv da person not der religion n its not ur fault who it is because relly u dnt c dat

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

well sed in luv u luv da person not der religion n its not ur fault who it is because relly u dnt c dat

If a person love his/her religion then he/she should marry a person to whom he/she share's common beleif.There are many religions which are contradictory to each other.
For example is it possible for a strick vegetarian hindu girl who beleive's that cow is sacred to marry
a muslim who boy who eat's beef and beleive that idol as evil.So even in love you have to
see the religious background of your partner or either you end up leaving your religion or divorce.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: