• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Poetry How Does One Count The Countless?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
How can one count the Countless?
Does Simran mean repeating a word like a parrot?
Or
Does it mean to continue doing good deeds?
One deed is done, and it ends.
The other One starts.
The One has no count.
It is always The One.
And
Shall be The One.

Is mala the beads of Me-ism?
So, I can count how many times,
I have counted the Omnipresent?
The One that dwells in all there is.

How many times can one count The One?
What is the significance of this mechanical ritual?
What good does it bring?
What good does it make us do?

Let’s make mala the deeds of our lives.
Let’s make mala the shoulders to be leant on.
Let’s make mala the handkerchief to wipe,
someone’s tears.
Let’s make mala the lifting hands to the fallen.
Let’s make mala our finger to be held.
So,
A child can cross the street.

Let’s make mala to eradicate injustice.
To erase rapes of the innocent.

It needs no gold, ivory, wooden or steel beads.
What if the beads were cubes rather than circular?
How many times we can mala it then?
Just think about it.

If one counts the Infinite.
Me-ism makes it Finite.
The only mala we need is,
Living a life of a Sikh.

Tejwant Singh

Attachments

• imgres.jpeg
    imgres.jpeg
    12.8 KB · Reads: 299
Last edited by a moderator:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
How can one count the Countless?
Does Simran mean repeating a word like a parrot?
Or
Does it mean to continue doing good deeds?
One deed is done, and it ends.
The other One starts.
The One has no count.
It is always The One.
And
Shall be The One.

Tejwant Singh

Nicely put ji,

problem is our mind, that asks too many questions, that creates too many doubts, that creates too many boundaries and that wants something in return for our deeds.

if we learn through simran how to loosen this stranglehold of our mind, then our Soul will surely shine though...our soul only knows un-conditional love...it is beyond the reasoning of the mind...and knows only that we are all ONE.

Through our Simran when we come to see this, we will serve everyone in a beautiful way.

use a word, any word if you want to....repeat it with full attention...then notice how our mind tries to take our attention to another thought. stop..then start repeating again....

mind will keep trying to stop us from concentrating on that one word...recognise this...and dont give up....
eventually mind loses it;s power over us...then we become free to focus on what is within us....the light of God, and then we can also focus on what is on the outside using this light of God to help others :)

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Nicely put ji,

problem is our mind, that asks too many questions, that creates too many doubts, that creates too many boundaries and that wants something in return for our deeds.

if we learn through simran how to loosen this stranglehold of our mind, then our Soul will surely shine though...our soul only knows un-conditional love...it is beyond the reasoning of the mind...and knows only that we are all ONE.

Through our Simran when we come to see this, we will serve everyone in a beautiful way.

use a word, any word if you want to....repeat it with full attention...then notice how our mind tries to take our attention to another thought. stop..then start repeating again....

mind will keep trying to stop us from concentrating on that one word...recognise this...and dont give up....
eventually mind loses it;s power over us...then we become free to focus on what is within us....the light of God, and then we can also focus on what is on the outside using this light of God to help others :)

Chaz Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

I have a couple of questions as a clarification and to further this important conversation. Before I do that, I would like to add that disagreements are part of the learning (Sikhing) process.

Skepticism, doubts and questioning create endorphins in our mind, of which Gurbani talks often about. Guru Nanak was the walking example of the above since the age of seven when he refused to wear the Janeiu and hence, sowed the seeds of Sikhi with the former three.

1. What does Simran mean to you? Please elaborate with the help of Gurbani and with your own experience.

2. What word/s do you use in your Simran?

3. Can one use any word to experience the same feeling?

4. What is Simran for you if not parroting?

5. Is the feel good euphoria of Simran as many claim to experience enough?

6. How long does this euphoria last if you have experienced it?

7.Based on 6, is it like a quick fix like the junkie has?

I will look forward to your insightful input.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Don't concentrate on the beads ,the only thing to be concerned with is the thread.

Scarlet Pimpernal ji,

Guru Fateh.

1.Do you mean concentrate on the thread (Janeiu) that Guru Nanak rejected?

2. Can you please elaborate what you mean by your proclamation with the help of SGGS, our only Guru?

I am sure you are aware that many malas have no thread but metal strings in them and many worn today are like karas.

3. What would you suggest about them? Where should the concentration lie?

And if you like, you may also throw some light from your insights to my questions to Chaz Singh ji.

Let's keep the conversation flowing for our better understanding of the Gurmat values.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Veer Ji The thread I speak of is not material but as our only Guru has said holds together creation.

Scarlet Pimperal ji,

Guru Fateh.

Well said.

But I hate to burst your bubble. The Thread you are talking about is the understanding and practicing what is in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, our only Guru; not in any mala.

That is exactly the last line of the thread says.

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
=Tejwant Singh;177926

1. What does Simran mean to you? Please elaborate with the help of Gurbani and with your own experience.
Simran for me is to take time out, quite place, no distraction, where i can put all my attention on god that exists within me. Guru Ji says:
pa(n)chaa kaa gur eaek dhhiaan ||
The chosen ones meditate single-mindedly on the Guru. Jap 3

problem is my mind wanders in thousand directions. thinking of Sex, money, greed, family problems, desires, job etc... so how can we concentrate Single mindedly?

2. What word/s do you use in your Simran?

My focus/direction is God...that is my destination. so i use Gurbani to guide me alond this terrifying world ocean (web of maya)
Focussing on spiritual eye region (between the eyebrows), i close my eyes and meditate on Mool manter...concentrating on each word and it's meaning flowing in my mind.
My mind gets agitated, and starts thinking of everything else...i shake it off and go back to mool manter...if mind disturbs again..i shake it off again then go back to mool manter. Eventually mind gets the message and calms down. Then i change to just mentally repeating Satnaam or Waheguru or both together.

3. Can one use any word to experience the same feelin
in Mediation one can use anyword to focus on...it will help to calm the mind from running around in countless directions. But my focus is on Waheguru...that is my distination so i use gurbani instead as it connects my consciousness to god.

4. What is Simran for you if not parroting?

When a calm mind is achieved through Simran, one can listen to what is within themselves. feel what is within themselves. all the things that our silly mind was covering up. real connection to God is experienced. one starts to realise there is something to explore...there is more to life that sex, greed, desire, lust, anger, ego. One starts to realise that death is not the end...that there is no death. fear of death starts to diminish.

har jan har har naam samaanae dhukh janam maran bhav kha(n)ddaa hae ||
The humble servants of the Lord are absorbed in the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. The pain of birth and the fear of death are eradicated.
SGGS Ji 171
http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=510

5. Is the feel good euphoria of Simran as many claim to experience enough?

during long sessions of Simran (2 hours +) many things will be experienced and felt. remain focussed on the feet of the Guru, and Guru ji will guide you through it all. love for God/Guru is all important..more important than any method we use. no method will get is anywhere without love, trust, and faith in god.
there is a feel good euphoria...but this is different at each level...
sometimes it is a calm feeling of relaxation...other times feeling of Chi/kundalini energy/amrit cleaning us up on the inside.

key is "be a witness to each experience" but never attach to them...let them come, then let them go and focus only on God.

6. How long does this euphoria last if you have experienced it

During the Simran session (the longer the better...I usually do 2-2.5 hours)...can also be felt longer...during the day...
I sometimes only get 4 hours sleep a night due to amrit vela simran...yet i hardly yawn or feel tired. One my Simran went to deeper level it becomes better than sleep for me.

7.Based on 6, is it like a quick fix like the junkie has?

It helps through the stress of life...the problems we all have, so the outcomes of these problems (actions/reactions) are usually better than without the Simran.

It is never a 'Quick Fix'....it is a journey towards self realisation and experiencing God. When does it end...will it ever end? afterall it is infinite.
but i'm on the journey and fully motivated.

If a person wants to complete a marathon, will they be happy with doing only 1 mile for a 'quick fix' when there focus is on experiencing the whole journey?

I have started realising that i can only find god within myself...He's close at hand...the method we can use to search within is Simran. Once we ignite this 'seeking' within, we take one step towards God, and inner Guru Ji, shabad Guru takes hundreds of steps towards us and uplifts us bit by bit.

a(n)thar breham n cheenee man moorakh gaavaar ||
They do not recognize God within themselves-they are so foolish and ignorant! 86

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=228

I am no professor in Gurbani, so i have only written things above from my own experience of Simran...after 1 more year of simran maybe my experience will change but we can only realise this if we take a step at a time on this path.
Everyones journey will be unique, everyones experiences will be unique.
God bless on your journey.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Scarlet Pimperal ji,

Guru Fateh.

Well said.

But I hate to burst your bubble. The Thread you are talking about is the understanding and practicing what is in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, our only Guru; not in any mala.

That is exactly the last line of the thread says.

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant ji

I can't speak on behalf of SPji as to what he really means, but his posts brought the following tuks (in bold) to my mind:
ਭੁਗਤਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਦਇਆ ਭੰਡਾਰਣਿ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਵਾਜਹਿ ਨਾਦ
भुगति गिआनु दइआ भंडारणि घटि घटि वाजहि नाद ॥
Bẖugaṯ gi▫ān ḏa▫i▫ā bẖandāraṇ gẖat gẖat vājėh nāḏ.
Let spiritual wisdom be your food, and compassion your attendant. The Sound-current of the Naad vibrates in each and every heart.
ਆਪਿ ਨਾਥੁ ਨਾਥੀ ਸਭ ਜਾ ਕੀ ਰਿਧਿ ਸਿਧਿ ਅਵਰਾ ਸਾਦ
आपि नाथु नाथी सभ जा की रिधि सिधि अवरा साद ॥
Āp nāth nāthī sabẖ jā kī riḏẖ siḏẖ avrā sāḏ.
He Himself is the Supreme Master of all; wealth and miraculous spiritual powers, and all other external tastes and pleasures, are all like beads on a string.
ਸੰਜੋਗੁ ਵਿਜੋਗੁ ਦੁਇ ਕਾਰ ਚਲਾਵਹਿ ਲੇਖੇ ਆਵਹਿ ਭਾਗ
संजोगु विजोगु दुइ कार चलावहि लेखे आवहि भाग ॥
Sanjog vijog ḏu▫e kār cẖalāvėh lekẖe āvahi bẖāg.
Union with Him, and separation from Him, come by His Will. We come to receive what is written in our destiny.
ਆਦੇਸੁ ਤਿਸੈ ਆਦੇਸੁ
आदेसु तिसै आदेसु ॥
Āḏes ṯisai āḏes.
I bow to Him, I humbly bow.
ਆਦਿ ਅਨੀਲੁ ਅਨਾਦਿ ਅਨਾਹਤਿ ਜੁਗੁ ਜੁਗੁ ਏਕੋ ਵੇਸੁ ॥੨੯॥
आदि अनीलु अनादि अनाहति जुगु जुगु एको वेसु ॥२९॥
Āḏ anīl anāḏ anāhaṯ jug jug eko ves. ||29||
The Primal One, the Pure Light, without beginning, without end. Throughout all the ages, He is One and the Same. ||29||

^ ang 6
ਰਾਮ ਰਾਮਾ ਰਾਮਾ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਵਉ
राम रामा रामा गुन गावउ ॥
Rām rāmā rāmā gun gāva▫o.
I sing the Praises of the Lord, Raam, Raam, Raam.
ਸੰਤ ਪ੍ਰਤਾਪਿ ਸਾਧ ਕੈ ਸੰਗੇ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵਉ ਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
संत प्रतापि साध कै संगे हरि हरि नामु धिआवउ रे ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Sanṯ parṯāp sāḏẖ kai sange har har nām ḏẖi▫āva▫o re. ||1|| rahā▫o.
By the graceful favor of the Saints, I meditate on the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. ||1||Pause||
ਸਗਲ ਸਮਗ੍ਰੀ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਸੂਤਿ ਪਰੋਈ
सगल समग्री जा कै सूति परोई ॥
Sagal samagrī jā kai sūṯ paro▫ī.
Everything is strung on His string.
ਘਟ ਘਟ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਰਵਿਆ ਸੋਈ ॥੨॥
घट घट अंतरि रविआ सोई ॥२॥
Gẖat gẖat anṯar ravi▫ā so▫ī. ||2||
He is contained in each and every heart. ||2||
^ ang 387
ਤੇਰਾ ਜਨੁ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਰੰਗਿ ਜਾਗਾ
तेरा जनु राम नाम रंगि जागा ॥
Ŧerā jan rām nām rang jāgā.
Your humble servant awakes in the Love of the Lord's Name.
ਆਲਸੁ ਛੀਜਿ ਗਇਆ ਸਭੁ ਤਨ ਤੇ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਸਿਉ ਮਨੁ ਲਾਗਾ ਰਹਾਉ
आलसु छीजि गइआ सभु तन ते प्रीतम सिउ मनु लागा ॥ रहाउ ॥
Ālas cẖẖīj ga▫i▫ā sabẖ ṯan ṯe parīṯam si▫o man lāgā. Rahā▫o.
All laziness has departed from his body, and his mind is attached to the Beloved Lord. ||Pause||
ਜਹ ਜਹ ਪੇਖਉ ਤਹ ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਸਗਲ ਘਟਾ ਮਹਿ ਤਾਗਾ
जह जह पेखउ तह नाराइण सगल घटा महि तागा ॥
Jah jah pekẖa▫o ṯah nārā▫iṇ sagal gẖatā mėh ṯāgā.
Wherever I look, the Lord is there; He is the string, upon which all hearts are strung.
ਨਾਮ ਉਦਕੁ ਪੀਵਤ ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਿਆਗੇ ਸਭਿ ਅਨੁਰਾਗਾ ॥੨॥੧੬॥੪੭॥
नाम उदकु पीवत जन नानक तिआगे सभि अनुरागा ॥२॥१६॥४७॥
Nām uḏak pīvaṯ jan Nānak ṯi▫āge sabẖ anurāgā. ||2||16||47||
Drinking in the water of the Naam, servant Nanak has renounced all other loves. ||2||16||47||

^ ang 682

Or this, stunningly beautiful:

ਤੂ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਤੁਮ ਪਹਿ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ

तू ठाकुरु तुम पहि अरदासि ॥

Ŧū ṯẖākur ṯum pėh arḏās.

You are our Lord and Master; to You, I offer this prayer.

ਜੀਉ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਸਭੁ ਤੇਰੀ ਰਾਸਿ

जीउ पिंडु सभु तेरी रासि ॥

Jī▫o pind sabẖ ṯerī rās.

This body and soul are all Your property.

ਤੁਮ ਮਾਤ ਪਿਤਾ ਹਮ ਬਾਰਿਕ ਤੇਰੇ

तुम मात पिता हम बारिक तेरे ॥

Ŧum māṯ piṯā ham bārik ṯere.

You are our mother and father; we are Your children.

ਤੁਮਰੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਮਹਿ ਸੂਖ ਘਨੇਰੇ

तुमरी क्रिपा महि सूख घनेरे ॥

Ŧumrī kirpā mėh sūkẖ gẖanere.

In Your Grace, there are so many joys!

ਕੋਇ ਜਾਨੈ ਤੁਮਰਾ ਅੰਤੁ

कोइ न जानै तुमरा अंतु ॥

Ko▫e na jānai ṯumrā anṯ.

No one knows Your limits.

ਊਚੇ ਤੇ ਊਚਾ ਭਗਵੰਤ

ऊचे ते ऊचा भगवंत ॥

Ūcẖe ṯe ūcẖā bẖagvanṯ.

O Highest of the High, Most Generous God,

ਸਗਲ ਸਮਗ੍ਰੀ ਤੁਮਰੈ ਸੂਤ੍ਰਿ ਧਾਰੀ

सगल समग्री तुमरै सूत्रि धारी ॥

Sagal samagrī ṯumrai suṯir ḏẖārī.

the whole creation is strung on Your thread.

ਤੁਮ ਤੇ ਹੋਇ ਸੁ ਆਗਿਆਕਾਰੀ

तुम ते होइ सु आगिआकारी ॥

Ŧum ṯe ho▫e so āgi▫ākārī.

That which has come from You is under Your Command.

ਤੁਮਰੀ ਗਤਿ ਮਿਤਿ ਤੁਮ ਹੀ ਜਾਨੀ

तुमरी गति मिति तुम ही जानी ॥

Ŧumrī gaṯ miṯ ṯum hī jānī.

You alone know Your state and extent.

ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸ ਸਦਾ ਕੁਰਬਾਨੀ ॥੮॥੪॥

नानक दास सदा कुरबानी ॥८॥४॥

Nānak ḏās saḏā kurbānī. ||8||4||

Nanak, Your slave, is forever a sacrifice. ||8||4||

^ ang 268

SPji has said not to worry about the beads (of creation) but to focus on the string (He is the string).

Alternatively, we can just take Guruji as our mala:

ਤੂੰ ਸੂਤੁ ਮਣੀਏ ਭੀ ਤੂੰਹੈ
तूं सूतु मणीए भी तूंहै ॥
Ŧūʼn sūṯ maṇī▫e bẖī ṯūʼnhai.
You are the thread, and You are also the beads.
ਤੂੰ ਗੰਠੀ ਮੇਰੁ ਸਿਰਿ ਤੂੰਹੈ
तूं गंठी मेरु सिरि तूंहै ॥
Ŧūʼn ganṯẖī mer sir ṯūʼnhai.
You are the knot, and You are the primary bead of the maalaa.
ਆਦਿ ਮਧਿ ਅੰਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸੋਈ ਅਵਰੁ ਕੋਇ ਦਿਖਾਲੀਐ ਜੀਉ ॥੨॥
आदि मधि अंति प्रभु सोई अवरु न कोइ दिखालीऐ जीउ ॥२॥
Āḏ maḏẖ anṯ parabẖ so▫ī avar na ko▫e ḏikẖālī▫ai jī▫o. ||2||
In the beginning, in the middle and in the end, there is God. I cannot see any other except You, Lord. ||2||
^ ang 101

None of them, however, are about a physical mala or thread.

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Tejwant ji

I can't speak on behalf of SPji as to what he really means, but his posts brought the following tuks (in bold) to my mind:

Let spiritual wisdom be your food, and compassion your attendant. The Sound-current of the Naad vibrates in each and every heart.
He Himself is the Supreme Master of all; wealth and miraculous spiritual powers, and all other external tastes and pleasures, are all like beads on a string.
Union with Him, and separation from Him, come by His Will. We come to receive what is written in our destiny.
ਆਦੇਸੁ ਤਿਸੈ ਆਦੇਸੁ
आदेसु तिसै आदेसु ॥
Āḏes ṯisai āḏes.
The Primal One, the Pure Light, without beginning, without end. Throughout all the ages, He is One and the Same. ||29||

^ ang 6

ਰਾਮ ਰਾਮਾ ਰਾਮਾ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਵਉ
राम रामा रामा गुन गावउ ॥
By the graceful favor of the Saints, I meditate on the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. ||1||Pause||
ਘਟ ਘਟ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਰਵਿਆ ਸੋਈ ॥੨॥
घट घट अंतरि रविआ सोई ॥२॥
^ ang 387

All laziness has departed from his body, and his mind is attached to the Beloved Lord. ||Pause||
Wherever I look, the Lord is there; He is the string, upon which all hearts are strung.
Drinking in the water of the Naam, servant Nanak has renounced all other loves. ||2||16||47||

SPji has said not to worry about the beads (of creation) but to focus on the string (He is the string).

Nice post.

The naam, the sound current, the energy, the vibration that exists within all and holds everything together is what we should focus on.

the ekonkaar - from the One came the sound (ong), from the sound came the creation (kaar).
Satnaam - this naam (sound, ebergy, force) is the truth

This naam, exists within us all...we just need to look, seek within and it will guide us to knowing who we really are, our purpose and we will experience god within ourselves and experience god all around us in our daily lives :)

God bless

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Tejwant ji

ਆਦੇਸੁ ਤਿਸੈ ਆਦੇਸੁ
आदेसु तिसै आदेसु ॥
Āḏes ṯisai āḏes.

^ ang 6
ਰਾਮ ਰਾਮਾ ਰਾਮਾ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਵਉ
राम रामा रामा गुन गावउ ॥
ਘਟ ਘਟ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਰਵਿਆ ਸੋਈ ॥੨॥
घट घट अंतरि रविआ सोई ॥२॥
^ ang 387

^ ang 682

Or this, stunningly beautiful:

ਤੂ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਤੁਮ ਪਹਿ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ

तू ठाकुरु तुम पहि अरदासि ॥

Ŧū ṯẖākur ṯum pėh arḏās.

You are our Lord and Master; to You, I offer this prayer.

ਜੀਉ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਸਭੁ ਤੇਰੀ ਰਾਸਿ

जीउ पिंडु सभु तेरी रासि ॥

Jī▫o pind sabẖ ṯerī rās.

This body and soul are all Your property.

ਤੁਮ ਮਾਤ ਪਿਤਾ ਹਮ ਬਾਰਿਕ ਤੇਰੇ

तुम मात पिता हम बारिक तेरे ॥

Ŧum māṯ piṯā ham bārik ṯere.

You are our mother and father; we are Your children.

ਤੁਮਰੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਮਹਿ ਸੂਖ ਘਨੇਰੇ

तुमरी क्रिपा महि सूख घनेरे ॥

Ŧumrī kirpā mėh sūkẖ gẖanere.

In Your Grace, there are so many joys!

ਕੋਇ ਜਾਨੈ ਤੁਮਰਾ ਅੰਤੁ

कोइ न जानै तुमरा अंतु ॥

Ko▫e na jānai ṯumrā anṯ.

No one knows Your limits.

ਊਚੇ ਤੇ ਊਚਾ ਭਗਵੰਤ

ऊचे ते ऊचा भगवंत ॥

Ūcẖe ṯe ūcẖā bẖagvanṯ.

O Highest of the High, Most Generous God,

ਸਗਲ ਸਮਗ੍ਰੀ ਤੁਮਰੈ ਸੂਤ੍ਰਿ ਧਾਰੀ

सगल समग्री तुमरै सूत्रि धारी ॥

Sagal samagrī ṯumrai suṯir ḏẖārī.

the whole creation is strung on Your thread.

ਤੁਮ ਤੇ ਹੋਇ ਸੁ ਆਗਿਆਕਾਰੀ

तुम ते होइ सु आगिआकारी ॥

Ŧum ṯe ho▫e so āgi▫ākārī.

That which has come from You is under Your Command.

ਤੁਮਰੀ ਗਤਿ ਮਿਤਿ ਤੁਮ ਹੀ ਜਾਨੀ

तुमरी गति मिति तुम ही जानी ॥

Ŧumrī gaṯ miṯ ṯum hī jānī.

You alone know Your state and extent.

ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸ ਸਦਾ ਕੁਰਬਾਨੀ ॥੮॥੪॥

नानक दास सदा कुरबानी ॥८॥४॥

Nānak ḏās saḏā kurbānī. ||8||4||

Nanak, Your slave, is forever a sacrifice. ||8||4||

^ ang 268

Alternatively, we can just take Guruji as our mala:

ਤੂੰ ਸੂਤੁ ਮਣੀਏ ਭੀ ਤੂੰਹੈ
तूं सूतु मणीए भी तूंहै ॥
Ŧūʼn sūṯ maṇī▫e bẖī ṯūʼnhai.
You are the thread, and You are also the beads.
ਤੂੰ ਗੰਠੀ ਮੇਰੁ ਸਿਰਿ ਤੂੰਹੈ
तूं गंठी मेरु सिरि तूंहै ॥
Ŧūʼn ganṯẖī mer sir ṯūʼnhai.
You are the knot, and You are the primary bead of the maalaa.
ਆਦਿ ਮਧਿ ਅੰਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸੋਈ ਅਵਰੁ ਕੋਇ ਦਿਖਾਲੀਐ ਜੀਉ ॥੨॥
आदि मधि अंति प्रभु सोई अवरु न कोइ दिखालीऐ जीउ ॥२॥
Āḏ maḏẖ anṯ parabẖ so▫ī avar na ko▫e ḏikẖālī▫ai jī▫o. ||2||
In the beginning, in the middle and in the end, there is God. I cannot see any other except You, Lord. ||2||
^ ang 101

None of them, however, are about a physical mala or thread.

Ishna ji,

Guru Fateh.

I think we are mixing apples with oranges. The original thread is about the threaded mala and its use in the repetition required in the form of Simran. It has nothing to do with "the thread" you and SP mentioned. However, the last sentence of the little poem exactly urges us to do that.

Having said that, it is a very interesting topic and there is no one better to start a new thread with that in mind than you so we can have this conversation in this very context.

Will eagerly wait for it to add my 2 cent worth.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I am afraid I have lost track of what is being discussed myself. There is an apple and orange problem because the "string" that carries all the beads of the cosmos is referring to a different idea of oneness and unity. What is the new thread that is recommended? With what comment on this thread, if any should it start? I can with help move some posts to a new thread if that is what is needed. Just tell me what is envisioned and I can help you out.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: