Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Hearing the Name of Guru Nanak

Discussion in 'Sikh Sikhi Sikhism' started by concious student, Aug 20, 2009.

1. concious student

concious student
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

i keep hearing the name of guru nanak for some reason and i know who he is and the other 9 gurus. someone tell me why im hearing his name

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Hearing the Name of Guru Nanak Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Aug 24, 2009
    Malaysia Seven-man Federal Court bench hearing ‘Allah’ case today Breaking News Mar 5, 2014
    USA Packed hearing explores new accommodations for religious freedom Breaking News Jan 31, 2014
    1984 Sikhs for Justice v. Congress (I) – US Court order for pretrial hearing on May 29 History of Sikhism May 27, 2013
    Christianity Amish Clan Awaits Sentences in Shearing Attacks (forcible hair-cutting) Interfaith Dialogues Dec 30, 2012

3. Embers

Embers
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Dear Concious Student
    Based on your question as it is, there are some interesting angles and possible replies.

If you mean, why are you hearing it (sense of hearing) more than before it could be "Cocktail Party effect" which is a concept which might be of interest and I suggest searching for a detailed explanation online.

If you mean the value of speaking/writing and talking about Guru Nanak and why his name occurs many times in the verses of scripture, such as Japji Sahib, I too would also be interested to discuss this further.

My initial understanding of Sikhism is that there should be no person between the aspirant and Akal Purkh and no person should be worshipped (as a God). So I do wonder why “Nanak” appears in praise, such as in the Mool Mantra. Of course Nanak is worthy of respect and admiration, but what is the purpose of reciting his name?

For people, like me, who are new to Sikhism the use of the vocative “O/Oh + name” can come across as unexpected or even contradictory to those ideas I mention above. For example: "True Here And Now. O Nanak, Forever And Ever True.”

Why did Guru Nanak refer to himself in the scriptures? Was this more normal in the period in which the Sri Guru Granth Sahib was written? Was the vocative case (i.e. Oh God, Oh Lord) used more freely then, than in modern day English and so sticks out to us today as superfluous? I would be grateful if someone could explain this from their understanding of the Sikh Scriptures and pardon my ignorance.

I should add that I have also seen the post titled "Nanak is The Guru, Nanak is The Lord Himself", which explains that the Guru and the Lord are One. I do not wish to address a topic that others have already exhausted. It appears that the Sri Guru Granth Sahib addresses the reader/recipient at the level of their understanding in relation to dualism and non-dualism and perhaps much more.

Please can you expand on your question if I have missed the point?

Kind regards, Ambers.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ozarks

Ozarks
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

• Like Like x 1
  5. Embers

Embers
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Thank you Ozarks
    Interesting change in grammar in the example you provide. It is becoming clear that I will need to study Punjabi. :)
    Kind regards, Ambers.