• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sufism Hearing The Divine Sound In Sufism? Hearing It In Sikhi?

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Thread moved to Interfaith Dialogs/ Sufism. The OP is basically asking for a comparison between Divine Sound in Sufism and Divine Sound in Sikhi. The title was also changed because early sentences about listening to music in the Espanola NM Gurdwara was an introduction to a broader question.

Sat Nam _/|\_

I love hanging out on Sundays, listening to the music and other worship at the Espanola Gurdwara. There's some awesome music this morning. You might want to listen in. japposatnamwaheguru:

As I'm listening to the music, several things are going through my mind. Knowing the sound current is a profound part of our being, music seems to be a way of connecting to the sound current. Not sure that makes sense.

I am not sure I even know what sound current actually is, but I'm trusting my intuition. Insha'Alla, I will study it more this week.

This past week, I was initiated into a Universal Sufi tariqa. Hazrat Inayat Khan is part of the lineage; he brought Sufism to the west a hundred years ago. Hazrat Inayat Khan was a musician and taught a lot about what is "the sound current" in Sikhism.

Here is a pdf which speaks of Hazrat Inayat Khan's understanding of this Divine Sound that fills the universe with an intensely constant "ommmmmmm".
http://lucite.org/lucite/archive/bipt_library_backup/mysticismsoundmusic.pdf

Where in the Guru Granth Sahib is a good shabad or mantra like verse for coming to know the Naam/Sound Current/Music of Life?

Nam Jiwan peacesignkaur

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 18, 2012
dear namji
wow that s interesting. but do you know there is differances in this mystics sounds that are coming from left and right side. which one is the uplifting ones..nice to hear that you will be going deeper into this.. this is called anhaad shabad or unstruct melody in sikhism.. i hope we can share our research on this together. if not mistaken this is mention in Quran also, sound of bell.. thanks

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
this is called anhaad shabad or unstruct melody in sikhism.. i hope we can share our research on this together. if not mistaken this is mention in Quran also, sound of bell.. thanks

My kids have heard this sound of bells and are really looking forward to hearing it again. They are also aware that this 'bell sound' signifies their closeness or nearness to a special 'Sant' !!!( which sant and from which place ??)

Sadly, this happens only once a year on christmas eve and they have to be good throughout the year in order for the bells and SANTa Clause NorthPole Wala to arrive with their presents!!
0:)lol:happymunda:lol0:)

Merry Christmas!!!

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
This Shabad is by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Aasaa on Pannaa 356

vidhiaa veechaaree thaa(n) paroupakaaree ||
Contemplate and reflect upon knowledge, and you will become a benefactor to others.

jaa(n) pa(n)ch raasee thaa(n) theerathh vaasee ||1||
When you conquer the five passions, then you shall come to dwell at the sacred shrine of pilgrimage. ||1||

ghu(n)gharoo vaajai jae man laagai ||
You shall hear the vibrations of the tinkling bells, when your mind is held steady.

When you hear this sound, it cannot be mistaken for anything else...it will be felt within your whole being.

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 236
sehajae anehath sabadh vajaaeiaa ||
In peace and poise, the unstruck vibration of the Shabad resounds.

sehajae run jhunakaar suhaaeiaa ||
In peace and poise, the celestial bells resound.

thaa kai ghar paarabreham samaaeiaa ||7||
Within their homes, the Supreme Lord God is pervading. ||7||

If we have a powerful thirst for god, a yearning which often creates a sadness, a force within that wants to seek the 'truth'.

This Shabad is by Guru Raam Daas Ji in Raag Maajh on Pannaa 94
koee aan milaavai maerae praan jeevaaeiaa ||
If only someone would come and introduce me to Him, the Rejuvenator of my breath of life.

ho rehi n sakaa bin dhaekhae preethamaa mai neer vehae vehi chalai jeeo ||3||
I cannot survive without seeing my Beloved. My eyes are welling up with tears. ||3||

then we will follow our Guru Ji's instruction and experience this for ourselves:

SGGS Ji 2
faer k agai rakheeai jith dhisai dharabaar ||
So what offering can we place before Him, by which we might see the Darbaar of His Court?

muha k bolan boleeai jith sun dhharae piaar ||
What words can we speak to evoke His Love?

a(n)mrith vaelaa sach naao vaddiaaee veechaar ||
In the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours before dawn, chant the True Name, and contemplate His Glorious Greatness.

We will all then surely hear the divine shabad and raise our consciosness :)

God bless everyone

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Where in the Guru Granth Sahib is a good shabad or mantra like verse for coming to know the Naam/Sound Current/Music of Life?

Nam Jiwan peacesignkaur
from my own experience, i quickly realised we cannot do anything ourselves...only when our deep love, thirst and purity of heart is felt by god within..He will shower his grace. therefore i don't think any mantra will allow us to hear the anhad shabad.

Our mind stands in the way of us hearing the shabad which is always resonating. If anything use a mantra to help reduce the stranglehold that our mind has on us, after that all we can do is surrender at the feet of our Guru Ji, give our dasvandh, serve others and do our simran at amrit vela...the rest is up to God.

there are countless verses in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, of our beloved guru's surrendering to the will of God, pouring their hearts out, saying that they cannot love without Him. you can feel that their Love and yearning was so intense. If we have this yearning, our prayers and our simran, and seva will surely be heard and seen by God.

This Shabad is by Guru Raam Daas Ji in Siree Raag on Pannaa 41

isrIrwgu mhlw 4 ]
sireeraag mehalaa 4 ||
Siree Raag, Fourth Mehla:

hau pMQu dsweI inq KVI koeI pRBu dsy iqin jwau ]
ho pa(n)thh dhasaaee nith kharree koee prabh dhasae thin jaao ||
I stand by the wayside and ask the Way. If only someone would show me the Way to God-I would go with him.

ijnI myrw ipAwrw rwivAw iqn pICY lwig iPrwau ]
jinee maeraa piaaraa raaviaa thin peeshhai laag firaao ||
I follow in the footsteps of those who enjoy the Love of my Beloved.

kir imMniq kir jodVI mY pRBu imlxY kw cwau ]1]
kar mi(n)nath kar jodharree mai prabh milanai kaa chaao ||1||
I beg of them, I implore them; I have such a yearning to meet God! ||1||

myry BweI jnw koeI mo kau hir pRBu myil imlwie ]
maerae bhaaee janaa koee mo ko har prabh mael milaae ||
O my Siblings of Destiny, please unite me in Union with my Lord God.

hau siqgur ivthu vwirAw ijin hir pRBu dIAw idKwie ]1] rhwau ]
ho sathigur vittahu vaariaa jin har prabh dheeaa dhikhaae ||1|| rehaao ||
I am a sacrifice to the True Guru, who has shown me the Lord God. ||1||Pause||

hoie inmwxI Fih pvw pUry siqgur pwis ]
hoe nimaanee dtehi pavaa poorae sathigur paas ||
In deep humility, I fall at the Feet of the Perfect True Guru.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: