• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Headgear Compulsory For Sikh Women Cops In Punjab Police

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Headgear compulsory for Sikh women cops in Punjab police

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 19:15

CHANDIGARH: Akali government might project itself as the sole representative of Sikh identity and principles when it comes to the issue of ban on turban in France but the very same government in its rule and soil has made it compulsory for all the women police officials to wear headgears including Sikh women as well.

Meanwhile, the issue of headgear worn by Punjab policemen with a frill is still not resolved. The percentage of Sikh women cops is about 57 per cent and many of them are Amritdhari (baptized) as well. Even a non-Sikh knows that Sikhs do not wear headgears or helmets as it is against the principles of Sikhism.

Akal Takht Jathedar Gyani Gurbachan Singh has maintained silence on this whole issue. On the one hand, SGPC and Akal Takht are instrumental to protect the interests of the Sikh community abroad, while in Punjab which is known as ‘Land of the Gurus’, they have proved unsuccessful in maintaining the dignity of ‘Dastar’. This is completely prominent from the fact that the new women recruits have no other option but to wear headgears during duty hours.

Meanwhile, many new recruits in Punjab police lamented (on condition of anonymity) that the whole development is completely against Punjab culture. Earlier, women cops wore Salwar-Kameez and dupatta which has been replaced by shirt-trouser and the headgear has come as another shock to them. Questioning Akal Takht jathedar’s stand on the headgear issue, they said in such a scenario Sikh girls will never be able to join police forces.

Lambasting at SGPC chief Avtar Singh Makkad, who is ready for staging dharnas on Delhi roads, they said he should intervene as soon as possible to protect the interests of Sikh community. As per the sources, Jathedar Takht Kesgarh Sahib Trilochan Singh in his letter vide 656, dated May 24, 2012 appealed Gyani Gurbachan Singh to find out solution to the grievances faced by the cops from Sikh community.

Now the ball is in Gurbachan Singh’s court, as to when he will issue a ‘hukamnama’ against the Akali government for compelling the Sikhs to wear a headgear?

source: Punjab Newsline Network
http://www.punjabnewsline.com/content/headgear-compulsory-sikh-women-cops-punjab-police/49655

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I imagine the Singh police men wear dastaars - perhaps if Sikh policewomen also wear dastaars it will help popularise the dastaar for women in the general community.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I imagine the Singh police men wear dastaars - perhaps if Sikh policewomen also wear dastaars it will help popularize the dastaar for women in the general community.

The issue is.."compulsion"...a sikh woman may not feel obligated to wear the dastaar..BUT COMPULSORY Topi/headgear/cap etc is AGAINST the Sikh Norms..thats why Sikhs dont wear the HELMET. While a Dastaar is recommended a Helmet/topi/cap is PROHIBITED in many Hukmanmahs. There is thus a difference...a "recommendation" may/may not be followed..BUT a PROHOBITION is self explanatory.

Marcia

SPNer
Jun 28, 2012
Even though this individual breaks Kanye Gulf or perhaps Andre 3000 being the "most stylish" rapper on the market, this individual mentioned his or her own swagger provides advanced to the level in which that worth any series modeled right after that: "I has been one of many fellas that will 'geek chic' that once in a while. Today I’m merely a lot more directly into whichever operates for me personally. inches This individual breaks "friends and also peers" since stimulating your pet to start out his or her own series. "Dude, an individual outfit your own personal approach and the ones stick to in which, inches this individual remarked. Now they could acquire that, also.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Even though this individual breaks Kanye Gulf or perhaps Andre 3000 being the "most stylish" rapper on the market, this individual mentioned his or her own swagger provides advanced to the level in which that worth any series modeled right after that: "I has been one of many fellas that will 'geek chic' that once in a while. Today I’m merely a lot more directly into whichever operates for me personally. inches This individual breaks "friends and also peers" since stimulating your pet to start out his or her own series. "Dude, an individual outfit your own personal approach and the ones stick to in which, inches this individual remarked. Now they could acquire that, also.[/QUOTE

marcia if you can "undertsand" my post below then i can understand yours..above....BOTH look like the same to me...

...."start=136&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=607&tbm=isch&tbnid=X1r3IfxneUIsXM:&imgrefurl=http://akmaluv90.blogspot.com/2012/05/malaysia-vs-filipina.html&docid=KM6IJ01B5_oLUM&imgurl=https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/403567_10150808012986631_213560531630_9914558_1436770624_n.jpg&w=720&h=453&ei=XzXsT729NInSrQf649G6BQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=507&vpy=228&dur=69&hovh=178&hovw=283&tx=151&ty=99&sig=106425170188362337539&page=6&tbnh=114&tbnw=181&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:136,i:202..."
swordfight

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: