• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Harmanpreet Kaur (1995)

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
If you are determined to achieve something, there can be no obstacle. This has been proved by Harmanpreet Kaur Chahal, a blind athlete, who has won one gold medal and one bronze medal in athletics in the World Youth and Student Championship held recently at Colarado, USA.

The 14-year-old athlete, who competes in the under-B III category of blind athletes, won the gold medal in shot put and bronze medal in 100 m race in the championship. “It was a learning experience for me to play in a country like USA and I was very much confident of my success in the championship. I am very thankful to the national federation of Blind, which sponsored my trip to USA,” said an elated Chahal.

Harmanpeer started practicing athletics in the 2006 and since then there was no looking back for her. “I started taking part in 100 m and 200 m races along with long jump. But later I shifted to shot put. It has been a unique experience for me to compete in the events,” said Chahal. The young athlete, who is a student of Jarjas Public School, Machiwara, trains under the guidance of Randhir Singh. Chahal’s father Gurpreet Singh, who is a class IV employee in PUDA, was also an international blind athlete. “I have represented India in cricket for blind players and I have always encouraged Harmanpreet to play,” says Singh.

For her achievement, Avtar Singh Makkar, president of Shiromani Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee announced an award of Rs 51,000.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM