• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Har

grandcannon

SPNer
Feb 3, 2006
WJK WJKF

Hey, I know I just posted, but I'm just so excited, and want to learn everything I can. I hope I'm not asking to much! In the SGGS, there are often cases where it says "har, har," for reasons I don't understand. Can anyone explain this to me?

Grandcannon

May 26, 2005
San Francisco
grandcannon said:
WJK WJKF

Hey, I know I just posted, but I'm just so excited, and want to learn everything I can. I hope I'm not asking to much! In the SGGS, there are often cases where it says "har, har," for reasons I don't understand. Can anyone explain this to me?

Grandcannon

Har (Hari) is another name for God.

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Well there are two meanings.

In Sanskrit,we have littral meaning of Hari pronucned har as i is silent in Gurumukhi script and as per Santhia(way to read Gurbani(Verse of God)).

That can be sustainer,Benefitter and reviver.

Like when we put water in dry plant and they became green we say that it has become Harit(meaning green).

So it is symbol of substinance of life giving one and that is God.

While in farsi we have Harr that is mean by Everyone.As God is in all then God can be termed as every one.Farsi is used more with Tenth Master's verses.

grandcannon said:
WJK WJKF

Grandcannon

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
victorykhalsa2.png

Sorry for bringing up an old post, just felt this needed to be said...

As a convert i know what it feels like to be in a new group or function - it's exciting, uplifting and you want to learn everything now. However, i think it is a good idea to start slowly and take one step at a time.

For sikhi, this means trying to start off with sikhi basics and fundementals first, so intro books and video's are strongly recommended.

Because there is so much to be learned and recognised, it can all get overwhelming and can actually be a negative force on your spirtual development. Reading the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji may not be the best choice for someone who is new.

The SGGS is very complex and has wording that some may find confusing, so it is best to start off with intro books and work up from there.

On a side note: before you purchase, or borrow sikhi related books or articles, be sure that the book is back up by quotes from the Guru Granth and look online for possible reviews or suggestions. Sometimes, some sikhi books are just filled with opinions from people, and not actuall teachings from the holy scriptures.

-Bindy Bains
(Formorly Khalsa Starr)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM