Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Hair

Discussion in 'Sikh Youth' started by Ambi, Jan 21, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Ambi

Ambi
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

----------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    IIM Amritsar Mostly Has Youth With Shorn Hair In Its Photos ? Hard Talk Oct 29, 2016
    Controversial Watch 3 Badass Women Destroy Stereotypes About Body Hair Hard Talk Aug 1, 2016
    Is God Fond Of Long Hair And Turbans ? Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Mar 13, 2016
    Burrowbridge charity activist and North Curry stalwart honoured in Chairman's Awards Sikh Personalities Oct 31, 2015
    Haircut or not. Blogs Oct 21, 2015

3. Hai_Bhi_Sach

Hai_Bhi_Sach
    Expand Collapse

The Hair serves as an outward form of recognition of Sikh men and women

Nature knows best what to discard or retain. Whatever is retained, is not without purpose. Hair is a gift from God, not a burden. Guru Gobind Singh Ji, in his infinite wisdom, commanded us to respect hair and refrain from tampering with it. This is the visible token of his affection for us, as well as our faith in him.

Kesh (wearing long hair) Since all Sikhs pledge to not cut their hair, Kesh reminds Sikhs of their equality, and removes reason for pride (Ahankar). In addition, all Sikh men are required to wear a turban or Dastar (its optional for women.

From the scientific view, keeping hair is practical because hair has many functions. It traps an insulating layer of still air just outside the skin, and thereby reduces loss of heat by radiation, hair absorbs harmful radiations from the sun, hair follicles can make androgenic hormones and Axillary hair provides larger surface area for evaporation of sweat.

Although Sikhs do not need scientific explanations to keep hair, it is important to note that scientific explanations do indeed exist. (Sikhism can be backed by Logic and can be supported by the Laws of Science).

The validity of the above Statement depends on "Who is talking to Whom".

4. JtotheAtothe...

JtotheAtothe...
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Nature decided I should have nails that are retained. Guess I'll just let them grow to infinity. Nature knows best.

5. Lionchild

Lionchild
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

Well i dunno about that part lol! I recently cut my hair ( :eek: ) and gave it to the children for cancer cause, basically the hair is given to children who are not given that gift. Hair can be a great thing, keep on to it if you can!!