• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gyani Sant Singh Ji Maskeen

Jun 1, 2004
Dear Giyani Sant Singh ji maskeen has passed away in Kanpur... May wahegur bless his soul.

My playful friends have gone to sleep in the graveyard.
In my double-mindedness, I shall have to go as well. I cry in a feeble voice. ||2||
Haven`t you heard the call from beyond, O beautiful soul-bride?
You must go to your in-laws; you cannot stay with your parents forever. ||3|| (Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Ang.23)

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Punjab

Obituary
Maskeen was an epitome of learning

GIANI Sant Singh Maskeen, who died following a massive heart attack at Etawah in Uttar Pradesh yesterday, was not only an exemplary preacher, interpreter of religious scriptures but also an epitome of learning. His limited formal education notwithstanding, Gianiji had studied various granths in depth.

Born in Lak Makwat tehsil of Ban district in North West Frontier province in 1931, Giani Sant Singh Maskeen had to skip his matriculation examination because of partition. His parents moved to Alwar in Rajasthan where he joined the sacred company of various religious heads, preachers and saints. His interest in religious studies did not wane even after he got married to Bibi Sundar Kaur in 1958.

Though his family got into motor parts business, Giani Sant Singh Maskeen dedicated his life to religion. He leaves behind besides his widow, three sons and two daughters.

Interestingly, Giani Sant Singh Maskeen had immaculate familiarisation with the works of some of greatest Urdu poets, including Ghalib and Iqbal. His knowledge of Bhagwad Geeta, Quran and holy scriptures of other religions made it easier for him to interpret Guru Granth Sahib and recitations of various other saints, including Sufi saints. Bhai Gurdass, Guru Ravi Dass, Bhagat Kabir and Sheikh Farid often used to get mention in his discourses. He also used to refer to work done by various religious scholars. For example, he had gone through all 23 interpretations of Japuji Sahib, including by Bhai Nand Lal, Acharya Rajnish, Giani Gurdit Singh and Bhai Veer Singh.

He was a globe-trotter and delivered discourses on various aspects of Gurbani at gurdwaras and religious congregations on important occasions. Known for his candid comments, Giani Sant Singh Maskeen was bestowed with the tile of "Panth Rattan" by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee. In fact it went to his credit that coming from a Hindi belt, he turned out to be an undisputed number one interpreter-cum-preacher of Gurbani.

Though just a matriculate, he authored a number of books on various religious scriptures. His Gurbani interpretation programmes were regularly serialised on various channels. One of the channels used to telecast his discourses every morning.

Some of his famous books included Guru Chintan, Ras Dhara, Shabad Guru, Ratnagar and Amrit Manthan. Giani Sant Singh Maskeen also frequented Chandigarh and other areas in Punjab and Haryana every year.

As a mark of respect to him, both the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee and the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee closed their offices for two days. He will be cremated at Alwar on Sunday.

- Prabhjot Singh

Attachments

• sant_singh_maskeen1.jpg
    sant_singh_maskeen1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Reads: 1,091
Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 1, 2004
“Panth Rattan” Giani Sant Singh Maskeen who passed away today: the 18th February 2005 at appox. 8.00 AM I.S.T. due to a massive heart attack while attending a marriage function in Etawah in Uttar Pradesh, India.

Giani Sant Singh Maskeen was a colossal striding across the contemporary Sikh Society for nearly five decades. He was a dedicated Sikh Missionary of great knowledge, zeal and repute who was renowned worldwide. A fearless preacher, very outspoken and having a rational outlook, he preached according to the concepts of Gurmat and Gurbani. He was one of the few towering personalities to whom the Sikhs looked up to.

He was successful in disseminating Sikhi in America, Europe, the Middle East and South East Asia. He also established a meditation center at his home town Alwar in Rajasthan, India where a Samagam (function) is held every year on the eve of Hollah Mohallah and which is attended by the scholars, preachers and learned people of the Sikh Community. The Khalsa School he established at Alwar has been a great success.

He authored more than a dozen books and innumerable audio cassettes and CDs, which have impacted the thinking and way of life of the Sikh Community. His daily discourses of Guru Granth Sahib on National TV network were beamed worldwide. His words provided guidance to many a wavering mind.

His demise has created a vacuum, which would be very difficult to fill. The Sikh Community needed him at this crucial juncture when western influences are making inroads into the Sikh Culture. The loss of Giani Sant Singh Maskeen is indeed, a great loss to the worldwide Sikh Community.

Sher Singh

SPNer
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
Truly sad, but we musnt be put down, he soul lives on with the Eternal Lord!
and also an add-on, we have his video and audio recordings still available!!

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH!

rosethorne

SPNer
Aug 13, 2005
New Delhi
WJKK
WJKF
Dear Waheguru123ji, Gyani Sant SinghJi Maskeen is relative to all Gursikhs, He is surely known and admired by all Gursikhs, who wanted a spiritual Life. He is among with us till we live. He was the Real Gyani of Sikhs of the new era.

Aug 18, 2005
Fremont, California
He taught me how to read the difficult Shabbad, like Slok Seheskrits and Gatha ang 1353-1361, rag Tlang Mehela 1 Farsi Shabad ang 721, Jaidev Pada ang 526, and the Sweyas starting ang 1387. I will miss him. He completed my first Sehaij Paath. I am a white American Sikh.

I do not understand his kathaa, because I do not understand modern Punjabi. I am only accustomed to old Gurmukhi. But I have heard mixed opinions that he is either a great preacher or a paraya, because some people complain that he was twisting Hindu Interpretations in the Guru Granth Sahib. I will not judge him, but it's best to say "I appreciate the good he has done." and let's keep peace in the Sangat. Many preachers mix up Baba Ji Saint kache banee and Hindu stories because the sangat likes to hear it, and they make more money. Some preachers are spnosored by the Indian Hindu Religious politicians to Hinduize Sikhs.
Since I don't understand Sant Maskeen modern Pujabi, I can at least say I was glad to have him as a teacher who was willing to take time out to help me. Some other preachers are greedy and don't have time. A few other teachers helped me too, such as former head granthi of Harmandar Sahib Giani Jagtar Jachak, Giani Gubachan of Thailand, and Giani Kuldeep Singh of Fairfax, Virginia USA.

rsingh

SPNer
Oct 2, 2005
London
Bibi Jee Gyani ji never refered to im self as a "sant" his name was Sant Singh Maskin, first name Sant. Gyani Jee never did parchar of kachi bani. i met Gyani Jee before he left UK for last time. Its always been a pleasure meeting him and I feel lucky I was given chance to talk with him.

Gyani Jee had much gyan and his katha was such that everyone in darbar would listen carefully. He was well respected in panthic circles and dedicated his life to Sikhi.

Gyani Jee did Not do kachi bani. He was against pakandi baba, majority of whom are sponsored by intel agencies and greed drives them to do false parchar. I have herd stories of Gyani Jees early days when he had to walk milies from one gurdwara to another because he did not have enough money for Bus. He was a truely blessed individual.

As you do not understand Panjabi I would suggest you read Gyani Jees books which have been transllated in english.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Gianiji is Panth Rattan. There are only three people I can think who can give guide to the young generation Prof. Darshan Singh, Veer Jasbir Singh Khannawaleh and cassetes of Gian Sant Singh Maskin. Most of the other I have found are donghi. They have no interest in sikhi but in pocketing money.
Regards Sahni Mohinder

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
As you do not understand Panjabi I would suggest you read Gyani Jees books which have been transllated in english.

rsingh ji, could you please tell us more about such english translations? We are looking to open a section dedicated to gurbani interpretations by Gyani's and if the hard work of translations has already been done then that would help up immensly in quickly starting up the new proposed section for the benefit of congressioin which is not conversant with punjabi/gurumukhi but can benefit and explore sikh philosophy through from Gyani Ji's interpretations. Please help us out in this matter.

Best Regards

singhkhalsa

SPNer
Feb 28, 2006
As long as rating among two is concerned I gave 1st rank to Bhai Jasbir Singh Ji Khalsa Khanney Waley and then Prof Darshan Singh Ji.

No doubt Gyani Sant Singh Ji Maskeen are the Panth Rattan. Also Bhai Sahib Jasbir Singh Ji Khanney waley are listening to Gyani Ji alot.

I fully agree that All among three are most most respectable spirtual personalities.

AGAM

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Gyani Sant Singh Ji maskeen is one of the greatest...but his katha is too much interspersed with Puranic/Mahabharta/Vedic/mythological examples and such...and a lot less of Gurbani and Sikh references..
I have one of the biggest collections of his tapes in excellent quality - 80 one hour tapes - 4.5 Gigabytes of MP3 Material ( on one DVD)

Jarnail Singh Gyani

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gyani Jarnail Singh said:
Gyani Sant Singh Ji maskeen is one of the greatest...but his katha is too much interspersed with Puranic/Mahabharta/Vedic/mythological examples and such...and a lot less of Gurbani and Sikh references..
I have one of the biggest collections of his tapes in excellent quality - 80 one hour tapes - 4.5 Gigabytes of MP3 Material ( on one DVD)

Jarnail Singh Gyani

Gurfateh

Respected Gyani Sahib,

If you see Guru Granth Sahib Ji also.

We will find various mentioning of mythology of Islam or so called Hindus to let us understand the crux of verse.
Sgpc code also does not prohitibits such verse from other faith which can be used to suport out views.

Forgive das if wrong is writtan.

singhkhalsa

SPNer
Feb 28, 2006
Please try to understand what Gyani ji wish to say.

Bhul Chuk Muaf

AGAM
vijaydeep Singh said:
Gurfateh

Respected Gyani Sahib,

If you see Guru Granth Sahib Ji also.

We will find various mentioning of mythology of Islam or so called Hindus to let us understand the crux of verse.
Sgpc code also does not prohitibits such verse from other faith which can be used to suport out views.

Forgive das if wrong is writtan.

Dec 8, 2005
Toronto
Gyani Jarnail Singh said:

Jarnail Singh Gyani

Would you like to share the stuff then consider me also as one contender.

Thanks & regards,

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki Fateh.

Veero,

The FILE is HUGE..4.5 GIGABYTES !!! and takes about 8 hours to download over a BROADBAND CONNECTION.( I MB Line) Ordinary Emails cannot handle such big files - even Google will only allow a download of about 1 MB per day ( and 4.5 GB is 4500 MB).( 9 VCD)

The Original Web Site that Hosted this collection for downlaods is currently DOWN. When It is Up and running again..I will let you have the Address..BUT that will also NEED a BROADBAND CONNECTION..not a 56K DIAL UP one !!!

The second alternative is for you to send me your POSTAL ADDRESS...and then I can go about Making COPIES of the DVD..and post you the DVD which can be played in DVD Players that play MP3s.

Jarnail singh gyani MALAYSIA.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Dear Giani Jarnail Singh Ji
Would be oblige if you could send me by mail this lovely DVD. My address is Mohinder Singh Sahni Villa No.29, Street No.3, Area No.3, Mishref, Kuwait.
Please don't mention on top religious tape.
Regards Sahni Mohinder

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
japjisahib04 said:
Dear Giani Jarnail Singh Ji
Would be oblige if you could send me by mail this lovely DVD. My address is Mohinder Singh Sahni Villa No.29, Street No.3, Area No.3, Mishref, Kuwait.
Please don't mention on top religious tape.
Regards Sahni Mohinder

Its on the way veer ji.

Jarnail singh gyani

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: