Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Guru's Grace vs Personification of Waheguru

Discussion in 'Sikh Sikhi Sikhism' started by Ishna, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

I was replying to this thread: http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-youth/34110-the-importance-of-kesh-for-sikh.html when I realised my reply had turned into a thread of it's own.

One criticism I have of that article is that it personifies God, which I don't think fits with the Sikh concept of God.

From my understanding, God isn't a being that judges the actions of an individual. No one can attract Its "displeasure". A more appropriate phrase would be that going against nature creates a barrier between the Sikh and God, or increases the distance the human has to cover to reach God.

It's like, the human/God relationship isn't about God looking at the tiny humans and squashing some with his finger and picking others up. It's more about the human looking up to God and working to get closer or not caring and drifting further away.

But now I've confused myself. Isn't God's Grace the flip side of God's displeasure? Logically you can't have one without the other unless my understanding of God's Grace is incorrect... the Glance of Grace which we all hope to receive. We can't do anything on our own without Grace. Is Grace a force of it's own (like Karma), or is the general understanding that it is something actually given by God to someone who has pleased It?

I'm sure Hukam fits in here somewhere too but I'm running out of lunch break at work!!!

Ishna

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Guru's Grace : We are absorbed In HIM Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Feb 4, 2008
    Total faith in the Divine and Guru's Grace ! Interfaith Dialogues Apr 24, 2007
    Guru's Grace Interfaith Dialogues Oct 10, 2005
    Islam The Guru's Advice to Muslims Interfaith Dialogues Oct 8, 2015
    Guru's Handprint at Panja Sahib Hard Talk Oct 5, 2013

3. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

... is it presumptuous to bump my own thread?...

On another thread the topic of pleasing the Creator came up. I can't help but gather from the Gurbani I've read, and articles by others, that we can only get so far by our own efforts.

Good deeds and bad deeds either draw us closer or push us further away (Shalok of japji Sahib).

But Grace is still required for full realisation of Naam.

Ang 898:

ਕਾਮਿ ਆਵੈ ਸੁ ਕਾਰ ਕਮਾਵੈ
    Kām na āvai so kār kamāvai.
    You do the deeds which do not help you at all.

ਆਪਿ ਬੀਜਿ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਖਾਵੈ
    Āp bīj āpe hī kẖāvai.
    As you plant, so shall you harvest.

ਰਾਖਨ ਕਉ ਦੂਸਰ ਨਹੀ ਕੋਇ
    Rākẖan ka▫o ḏūsar nahī ko▫e.
    There is none other than the Lord to save you.

ਤਉ ਨਿਸਤਰੈ ਜਉ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਹੋਇ ॥੩॥
    Ŧa▫o nisṯarai ja▫o kirpā ho▫e. ||3||

You will be saved, only if God grants His Grace. ||3||

Dr Karminder Singh Dhillon touches upon something in Understanding Japji - 5: The Core Concepts (May-June 2008 edition of The Sikh Bulletin) which hints at something like 'Grace' but he doesn't actually use the word anywhere in the article (that I can find). Dr Dhillon says:

There is much more depth to the article and cutting bits of it will not do it justice - please do read it if you have the time.

Dr Dhillon's article concludes with this paragraph:

So I would conclude that in the end, everything we do is in effort for Grace.

I am probably mistaken and happy to be corrected. Please share your views.

• Like Like x 1
    #2 Ishna, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012