Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Guru Nanak and Muhammad

Discussion in 'Sikh Youth' started by Abneet, May 5, 2013.

1. Abneet

Abneet
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I was just wondering, why did Guru Nanak mention Prophet Muhammad and say he was one of God's beloved prophets when he saw described afterlife, but Prophet Muhammad said he was the last of the prophets every to set on Earth. So why would Guru Nanak even mention him even when Muhammad would reject Guru Nanak as a prophet as God.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    DEVELOPMENT OF INTERFAITH DIALOGUE BY GURU NANAK Interfaith Dialogues Wednesday at 8:13 PM
    Guru Nanak Dev Ji Gurpurab New to Sikhism Nov 14, 2016
    Sikh Gurus Sikh History Vol 2, Guru Nanak Sahib (Part B) History of Sikhism Jun 26, 2016
    Sikh Gurus Sikh History, Vol 1: Guru Nanak Sahib (Part A) History of Sikhism Jun 26, 2016
    Footprints Of Guru Nanak In Sri Lanka History of Sikhism May 27, 2016

3. Luckysingh

Luckysingh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

I haven't hear this before !!
    What was your source of information for this or was it a sakhi ??
    Guru Nanakji never described afterlife or what it looked like as far as I know. :interestedsingh:

4. harmanpreet singh

harmanpreet singh India
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Welcome Abneet ,

can you provide source where Guru sahib mentioed Muhammad ?

• Like Like x 1
  5. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

No source, no references; it seems a bit fairy tale like and coming straight out of the mouth of a Daawah expert (Islamic evangelist). I doubt if Guru Maharaj ever said it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

The OP is asking a logical question. However I have had concerns since earlier today about the topic. Where is it headed?

Yes I am planning to delete the entire thread if I cannot make sense of it by day's end. The threads that "explore" connections between Sikh Gurus and Muslim personalities in the early history of Sikhi have to be referenced to something dependable. There is too too too much fantasy out there on the Internet.

• Like Like x 5
  7. techsingh

techsingh United States
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

ਬਹੁ ਵਾਟੀ ਜਗਿ ਚਲੀਆ ਤਬ ਹੀ ਭਏ ਮੁਹੰਮਦਿ ਯਾਰਾ.

what would be the correct translation for this. many people have translated it to be mohammed the friend of god.

Then bhai shaib goes on to say

ਮਾਰਨਿ ਗਊ ਗਰੀਬ ਨੋ ਧਰਤੀ ਉਪਰਿ ਪਾਪੁ ਬਿਥਾਰਾ।

which is translated into "Less powerful were killed and thus the earth became replete with sin."

so i dont' know what my sahib means by "yaar" but dosent seem like he meant friend.

But than in zafernama is says the mugals were not true muslims. which means trues muslims would have never done those things. But than that would go against what bhai shaib is saying.

ਕਾਫਰ ਮੁਲਹਦ ਇਰਮਨੀ ਰੂਮੀ ਜੰਗੀ ਦੁਸਮਣਿ ਦਾਰਾ
    which is translated into "Armenians and Rumis were declared apostates (Kafirs) and they were decimated in the Battle fields."

is zafernama authentic writhing of Guru Gobind Singh ji.

• Like Like x 1
  8. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

This is what worries me. Zafarnama is a way off topic from the OP issue related to Guru Nanak. The historical context is very different from the time of Guru Nanak and that of Guru Gobind Singh. Comparisons and contrasts just don't make any sense if the OP is asking about Mohammed as a Prophet of God, and about the Muslim ideas of an afterlife. There is more to both issues than concluding that Mohammed must have been a "great guy." Guru Gobind Singh is addressing a moral and a political problem, not a theological problem. And we cannot source the supposed statement of Guru Nanak; and therefore do not know what we are talking about.

The thread is on its way to deletion.

#7 spnadmin, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  9. techsingh

techsingh United States
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

can you put my question into a different thread?

10. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Yes techsingh ji

It is fine to start a new thread about Zafarnameh! No problem with that.

11. harmanpreet singh

harmanpreet singh India
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

sat sri akaal

looking at the age of thread starter , i feel its not good to delete the thread as such questions are tactics are used by some muslims to brainwash kids .

• Like Like x 4
  12. Luckysingh

Luckysingh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

I agree wholeheartedly.
    There are lots of false myths and tactics that go around.
    I have often heard the Guru Nanak Ji held high regards for muslims and went to Mecca for the pilgrimage !!!

There is no doubt that Guru Nanak Ji held high regards for Kabirji. A lot of pure gurmat was within Kabirji and his writings.
    However, although a muslim, he was adopted and taught in a different hindu environment.
    Some of the muslims take this factor about Kabirji, who was older than Nanakji from what I gather, that he was a huge influence on Guru Nanak ji.
    The claim seems to be that Guru Nanak ji was a fan of the enlightened Kabirji and preached according to his gurmat!!!
    This little 'tactic' of brainwashing then goes further to insist that the founder of the Sikh religion was in fact searching islam.

With regards to the Mecca story, we have reasons that Guruji himself went for the pilgrimage and that Mardana being a muslim went as well.
    We know the lesson that Guruji taught about God residing everywhere and not just in the west at the kabbah. But they argue that a 'non-muslim' is not allowed on the grounds whatsoever and that Guruji was carrying the Koran with him.
    Therefore, they claim that Guruji would NOT have been allowed if it was clear that he was non-muslim!

I'm not to sure about these, but my personal argument here would be that Guruji carried his pothi and it was wrapped in a protective decorative cloth. This could have been mistaken for the Koran by the 'watchers'.
    Then we know that Guruji wore a seli-topi as they call it, which is like Islamic head wear, so there is no doubt that he would have been mistaken for an Islamic priest of some sort with this attire and look.

Some of these claims are bases for other threads, but Harmanpreet made a very good point about the tactics used on the young and I know personally how some youth have been affected by this recently.

• Like Like x 1
  13. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Please read from another thread on the subject of Guru Nanak in Mecca

Link http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-...ould-guru-nanak-visit-mecca-10.html#post62275 Please note that the source link on Sikhism101 has expired. More information about Guru Nanak's visit can be found in the histories of both Joseph Cunningham and Max Macauliffe.

Saudi Arabia did not exist as an independent country until the 20th Century.
    Here my point is that Guru Nanak did not enter Mecca in "disguise." Bhai Gurdas says he "donning the blue attire" he went to Mecca. There was no need to slip under the radar to visit as Mecca was an open place at that time; there would be no need for passports or visa stamps as Saudi was not a country. Most of the Arab world as a matter of fact was considered a continuous geographical expanse open to travel for trade and intellectual exchange.

The rest of the quoted material points out that Guru Nanak was participating in an exchange of ideas. He was not acting as a pilgrim but as a teacher.

• Like Like x 4
    #12 spnadmin, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  14. Abneet

Abneet
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Sorry brothers, I haven't checked my thread in awhile and sorry if I made you all I think I was a Muslim. But i came to ask this question to you guys after I passed this site
    http://www.info-sikh.com/PageKnow17.html

This site wasn't the one that mentioned Prophet Muhammad specifically, but I'm trying to figure out when Guru Nanak described Giaan Khand where goddesses, angels, and prophets reside did he mention any one specifically?

• Like Like x 1
    #13 Abneet, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  15. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Abneet ji

The info-sikh site is known to have a number of problems with accuracy and bias.

To answer your question it is important to take sections of SGGS under study in a very serious way. Khands, goddesses, angels and prophets are all mentioned. However, their meaning and relevance needs to be understood by giaam of the guru's bani itself.

At this moment I cannot take the tour with you. You should search for threads here at SPN that have discussed ideas of goddesses, angels and prophets in Sikhism at length That should help you out.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Jaswinderpal

Jaswinderpal Reserved
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh. I am kinda disturbed by going through the quote of bhai sahib Gurdas ji. Wherein he has written Mohamd Yaara . But the people who are translating it have got it wrong . This vaar 1 pauraee 20 where Bhai sahib says mohammad and his yaar ( four companions) who destroyed the dharam and spread useless rituals like fasting hajj and namaz.

17. Jaswinderpal

Jaswinderpal Reserved
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

This is not zafar
    this is not zafarnama veerji. This is vaar 1 pauraee 20 of bhai gurdas ji . Reading few lines we cannot comprehend meaning. Mohamad yaar means mohammad and his companion ( four companion). Spread ritual which dont lead any where .

18. Jaswinderpal

Jaswinderpal Reserved
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Screenshots_2016-02-15-10-00-09.png Screenshots_2016-02-15-10-00-09.png

Attached Files:

19. Parma

Parma United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

Nobody knows the full truth as the original zafarnama it was destroyed. They created the new one out of someone else's interpretation that had read it. So how reliable that sources interpretation was who knows.

20. Jaswinderpal

Jaswinderpal Reserved
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

NO

21. Jaswinderpal

Jaswinderpal Reserved
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Veerji .. zafarnama is entire a different thing but what we are talking is reference of mohd in Sri Guru Granth Sahib which i see no where. More over the quote of one of my brother of mohd is in Bhai Gurdas ji vaaran which have been wrongly translated by mr. Jodh singh . The translation by bhai sahib vir singh says yaar as companion of mohd which i have posted as screen shot. Which is think is right. Guru sahib rejected concept of prophet hood of islam.

I request all of you read the real text and dont depend on translations