• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam Gurpreet Singh: Reflections On Islamophobia And Religious Extremism

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
By Gurpreet Singh, July 16, 2011

As the South Asian Network for Secularism and Democracy (SANSAD) is getting ready for a public forum on Islamophobia in Vancouver this Sunday, fingers are pointing at the involvement of the Indian Mujahideen—a Muslim extremist group—as being behind recent bombings in Mumbai. The attacks left 21 people dead. Although it’s premature to judge who may be behind the crime, Indian media reports suggest the involvement of Islamic extremists.

Whereas Muslim terror groups are certainly involved in senseless violence and deserve no sympathy, the media and investigators need to act responsibly before jumping their guns. Stereotyping and racial profiling against Muslims may be a post 9/11 scenario in the West, but in places like India, it has been going on for years. What many secularists describe as Islamophobia may be a new phenomena in this part of the world, but not in India. Although a secular democracy, India has witnessed systematic discrimination against the Muslim minority in particular and other minority groups in general by the ultra Hindu nationalists.

This prejudice has gone on since the independence of India in 1947. The bloody partition of India and Muslim Pakistan resulted in large-scale riots. This forced Hindus and Sikhs to leave Pakistan, and caused millions of Muslims to emigrate from India. Since India chose to become a secular democracy, many Muslims who stayed back in India have always been looked down upon with suspicion and mistrust by the Hindu fascists, who have always wished to convert a pluralist Indian society into a Hindu nation as an answer to the Muslim theocracy in the neighbourhood.

It is for this reason that the Hindu extremists assassinated Mahatma Gandhi, the father of the Indian nation in 1948. Gandhi was against partition and a supporter of Hindu-Muslim unity. He wanted to give concessions to the Muslims and tried to save them from the onslaught of the Hindu extremists.

The ultra-Hindu nationalists have been active on the Indian soil since then. Though Islamic terrorists—with or without the support of Pakistani agencies—have continued their acts of violence in India, Hindu terror groups have largely remained outside the radar of the Indian authorities for years. This can be explained as Islamohphobia, or a strong anti-Muslim bias among certain non-Muslim investigators, who might be sympathetic toward the cause of Hindu nationalists.

Most of the time when bombs exploded, Islamic terrorist groups were quickly blamed and Muslim men were arrested and harassed by the police. Only in recent years has the Indian establishment started taking the threat from the Hindu terror groups more seriously. This, too, came after some honest police officers and secular journalists exposed their activities.

One of the honest police officers who revealed Hindu terrorist organizations was late Hemant Karkare of the Anti-Terrorist Squad of the Maharashtra state police. For doing this, he faced criticism from Hindu organizations. Ironically, he died fighting against Islamic terrorists who attacked Mumbai in 2008.

Most suspected Hindu terrorists arrested so far have allegedly been responsible for bombings that targeted the Muslim community. Yet in some cases, police had earlier arrested Muslim suspects.

The most glaring case in point is the Samjhauta Rail Express blast in 2007 that left 68 people dead, mostly Pakistanis. This rail service was launched to strengthen the Indo-Pakistan relationship. Knowing well that Hindu extremists on the Indian side were against the service as much as Muslim extremists on the the other side of the border, the crime was prematurely blamed on the Islamic terrorists. However, it later emerged that those involved in the crime were pro-Hindu-nation terrorists. One of them, Swami Aseemanand, was charged last month.

Thanks to the continued campaign by secularist social-justice activists, the Indian media and the government now recognize Hindu terrorism as a threat. However, if the Hindu nationalist BJP, which is the main opposition party of India, ever succeeds in forming a majority government, this might give oxygen to such dangerous groups.

After all, the BJP government in Gujarat, India was responsible for the anti-Muslim pogrom in 2002. However, the ruling, secular Congress has also encouraged sectarianism for narrow political gains. In 1984, the Sikh minority felt unsafe under a Congress government that allowed large-scale anti-Sikh violence. The Congress government back then was also accused of distorting the image of the Sikh community in the name of the fight against Sikh terrorism.

The present Congress-led coalition government can in the meantime outlaw Hindu terror groups. Both Hindu and Muslim terrorists should be treated alike, and there should be no sympathy toward any group that promotes violence and hatred in the name of religion. There has to be a clear differentiation between moderates and extremists in any community. After all, an entire religious group cannot be blamed for the misdeeds of a handful of fanatical elements.

Groups like SANSAD can educate people to denounce stereotypes and fundamentalism of every shade. There should be absolutely no compromise with any organization, whether representing a majority or a minority community, that supports religious extremism. Otherwise, the very purpose of promoting secularism and breaking stereotypes will be defeated.

The forum on Islamophobia will be held at 3 p.m. at Cafe Kathmandu at 2779 Commercial Drive in Vancouver on July 17. Former B.C. Human Rights Commission chair Harinder Mahil will be one of the three panelists. Others are former federal NDP candidate Itrath Syed and Graham Fuller, author of A World Without Islam. Zahid Makhdoom will moderate the event.

http://www.straight.com/article-404...lections-islamophobia-and-religious-extremism

Attachments

• islamophobia.jpg
    islamophobia.jpg
    3.6 KB · Reads: 233

lionsingh

SPNer
Nov 7, 2010
Islamophobia doesnt exist ..or it is a made up term so that Islamacists can complain.

It certainly isnt racist as Islamacists are of all colour.

Do I agree with the following beliefs...as I certainly do not....

IT IS NOT ISLAMAPHOBIA WHEN THEY WANT SIKHS DEAD !!!!!! THE EVIL IS IN THE WORDS OF ALLAH

"O Prophet! Make war against the unbelievers [all non-Muslims] and the hypocrites and be merciless against them. Their home is hell, an evil refuge indeed." (Koran, 9:73)

"When you meet the unbelievers in jihad [holy war], chop off their heads. And when you have brought them low, bind your prisoners rigorously. Then set them free or take ransom from them until the war is ended." (Koran, 47:4)

"The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and his messenger and strive after corruption in the land will be to be killed or crucified, or to have their hands and feet chopped off on opposite sides, or to be expelled out of the land. Such will be their humiliation in the world, and in the next world they will face an awful horror." (Koran, 5:33-34)

"When we decide to destroy a population, we send a definite order to them who have the good things in life and yet sin. So that Allah's word is proven true against them, then we destroy them utterly." (Koran, 17:16-17)

"In order that Allah may separate the pure from the impure, put all the impure ones [all non-Muslims] one on top of another in a heap and cast them into hell. They will have been the ones to have lost." (Koran, 8:37)

"How many were the populations we utterly destroyed because of their sins, setting up in their place other peoples." (Koran, 21:11)

"Remember Allah inspired the angels: I am with you. Give firmness to the believers. I will instill terror into the hearts of the unbelievers: you smite them above their necks and smite all their fingertips off of them." (Koran, 8:12)

lionsingh

SPNer
Nov 7, 2010
whats your problem.....they cut of our fingers before our heads, brick our children and saw our parents in half ?....Perhaps Sikhs should reflect as it wasnt people..but an ideology that demanded the death of our martyrs and foundation....YET WE DO NOT SPEAK OUT !!!!!

peacesignkaur

Thank God..... Guru Gobind put a stop to this evil

Appeaser to evil Mr poster

After all....give me the name of ONE (1) country that is a free Islamic democracy...Just ONE....

where all religions can preach..Just one Sikh temple in Saudi Arabia where Nanak went to, the freedom of the christian Copts in Egypt,Sikhs in Pakistan, Jews in any Arab Muslim country ?

Pray....tell me just ONE free Islamic country where Sikhs and christians and jews and jains and hindus are FREE to worship ????

Just ONE

Deleted is an announcement. SPN cannot be used as a soapbox to promote extremist causes, no mattre what your religious adherence.

Freedom to worship yes.....Islamaphobia...Its not a phobia when it is killing the world . ...#

an Infidel

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Islamophobia is prejudice against, hatred or irrational fear of Islam or Muslims.[1][2] The term seems to date back to the late 1980s,[3] but came into common usage after the September 11, 2001 attacks in the United States to refer to types of political dialogue that appeared prejudicially resistant to pro-Islamic argument.[4]

from Wikipedia

It is possible, if we are so motivated, to engage in a neutral criticism of Islam. Thanks.

As an admin note: If it is your intention to go through all the articles recently posted in interfaith dialog, in order to continue your ongoing diatribe on behalf of the English Defense League, I will consider it spamming and delete all of them. I am logging out for now, and will check back.

lionsingh

SPNer
Nov 7, 2010
Islamophobia is prejudice against, hatred or irrational fear of Islam or Muslims.[1][2] The term seems to date back to the late 1980s,[3] but came into common usage after the September 11, 2001 attacks in the United States to refer to types of political dialogue that appeared prejudicially resistant to pro-Islamic argument.[4]

from Wikipedia

It is possible, if we are so motivated, to engage in a neutral criticism of Islam. Thanks.

As an admin note: If it is your intention to go through all the articles recently posted in interfaith dialog, in order to continue your ongoing diatribe on behalf of the English Defense League, I will consider it spamming and delete all of them. I am logging out for now, and will check back.

Deletion: Use a civil tongue

You mention It is possible, if we are so motivated, to engage in a neutral criticism of Islam. ....Yes quite happy to do that. All the Gurus did that.

I have clearly stated that as a proud Sikh I will stand up for all those that want to worship freely..I have also stated that I will have the courage to stand up against tyranny and any political/religious force that denies my rights as a free human being to think.

Deletion. Do not base comments on ridiculous assumptions merely because they serve your rhetoric.

DONT DENY MY FREEDOM TO SPEAK!!!

Written by the 10th Sikh Master, Guru Gobind Singh ji, after he lost his mother, his 2 elder sons (ages 11 & 14) in a battle where 40 of his soldiers were surrounded by an army of a million, his 2 younger sons (ages 7 & 8) who were entombed alive, besides himself being exiled from the Punjab around the year 1704-05 A.D. Such was his confidence and spirit despite all trageic and oppressive circumstances.

Mitre Pyare Nu - (sung by Mohd.Rafi) 'Letter to God' by Guru Gobind Singh [Sikh prayer] - YouTube

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Your freedom to speak is conditional. Later I will do some meticulous editing. :) You will be receiving an infraction shortly. If that is not effective, then a ban will be in order.

lionsingh

SPNer
Nov 7, 2010
For what exactly. I am not trying to put a political view forth.

If I had used offensive language then I can only accept I was wrong.

You are the one making accusations...you are the one trying to ban me !!!!

Please brother for what ?

Already explained.

lionsingh

SPNer
Nov 7, 2010
was nice and a privlege coming on to this site. Sorry...I cant post anymore.

Not fair...but life I suppose.:interestedmunda:

lionsingh

SPNer
Nov 7, 2010
@ Gurpreet

Perhaps a simple question as you are clearly endeared to the "Islamophobic" cause, can you tell me the next meeting of "Infidelophobia" as I would attend both, just to be fair !!!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: