• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurbani Contemplation - Selok Bhagat Kabir Ji

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Dear Members, I just enrolled myself as a student of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Academy Malaysia and hope to present the syllabus online so that anyone else can also be a cyber student, along with me. The classes are held in KL and Seremban on Sundays for 90 minutes and these two books are the first semester syllabus. So feel free to direct anyone who has the yeaning to attend such courses, to join us online here in SPN. We have Gyani Jarnail Singh Ji (online) to assist us to further the discussion and answer your queries. There is no fees charged, it's free. You may donate any sum to SPN according to your sharda.

~ namjap~ a.k.a. Santokh Singh (Seremban)

Last edited by a moderator:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Guru Piayare Sardar Santokh Singh Jio (naam japp),
GURFATEH.

Congratulations on this step in your life...Hope that Guru Ji's Grace/Kirpa showers you.
Others who would like to know more may not be aware that that this Gurmatt Academy that Veer Ji just joined for Gurbani Classes also has a WEB PRESENCE... Here is the address - Home.
MY advice...... click..on the web address given......and embark on a spiritual journey you will not regret..the SGGS truly is an ocean that fulfills ALL desires...
God Speed....

:happy:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Since the ebooks are already available online.

We can just extract those passages for discussion.

This is what I mean : Publications | Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Academy Malaysia - Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Academy Malaysia

"Branding Help us spread the word of the website as far as possible. We want people to visit this website to download katha, Bania and everything else this site has to offer - and remember, it's all free to the sangat. This is one of our ways of spreading the message of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji." - SGGSAM

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
They did an EXCELLENT job organizing the materials on the web site. And very clear and attractive. I will read it.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
A Brief Introduction on Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Academy Malaysia

Link: Home

Gurbani Contemplations - Selok Kabir Ji is one of the three books a student like me has to go through (reading, followed by discussions). This ebook is available online (for free) and anyone wishing to join our SPN discussion here may do so by involving themselves.

Since I am actually attending a class physically, the instructions and reading homework will also apply online at the same time period. The classes are held on Sundays for about 90 minutes which include reading of :-

First Pothi of SGGS,
Bhagats of SGGS and
Selok Bhagat Kabir Ji.

See Link: Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Course
This is basically the first semester learning syllabus.

Since we have just started on the second week now of the first semester,
it would be good to direct as many people to SPN so that they can benefit from this
FREE ONLINE COURSE by becoming SPN sangat immediately.
You are free to donate to SPN any sum according to your sharda.

Gyani Jarnail Singh Ji Arshi (well-known Gyani Ji amongst the Sikh Sangat in
Kuala Lumpur) will assist us here in SPN to further the discussion and answer any queries.

Instructions and Homework (for immediate discussion)

Read 20 Selok from Page 1 to 12 from
this link : Gurbani Contemplation - Selok Bhagat Kabirji | Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Academy Malaysia -
Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Academy Malaysia

Homework for the second Book - Bhagat's of SGGS, refer to this thread :
l#26 (permalink)

Student,
Santokh Singh, Seremban, Malaysia.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Bhagats of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

NamJap ji

Some are going to dismiss this as a fairy-tale and argue that children should be protected from stories like this. Others will contemplate the story and get to the core idea.

It is a parable and it does not matter whether it is historically true or false. The message is True. So my reaction is to ask: What is the message? I am still pondering this question.

The story is very beautiful and emotionally stunning. My heart is not as pure at the heart of Bhagat Dhanna ji. The pure are often those with the most unsophisticated vichaar. They go straight to the heart of truth. Remember that "the inner knower of hearts" in several of these sakhi is a luminous child -- "A little child shall lead you..." Forgive me.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Particularly about 110 lifetimes.

The reason I brought this up is because last night I read Selok Bhagat Kabir Ji as follows:-
ਕਬੀਰ ਮਾਨਸ ਜਨਮੁ ਦੁਲੰਭੁ ਹੈ ਹੋਇ ਬਾਰੈ ਬਾਰ
कबीर मानस जनमु दुल्मभु है होइ न बारै बार ॥
Kabīr mānas janam ḏulambẖ hai ho▫e na bārai bār.
Kabeer, it is so difficult to obtain this human body; it does not just come over and over again.

ਜਿਉ ਬਨ ਫਲ ਪਾਕੇ ਭੁਇ ਗਿਰਹਿ ਬਹੁਰਿ ਲਾਗਹਿ ਡਾਰ ॥੩੦॥
जिउ बन फल पाके भुइ गिरहि बहुरि न लागहि डार ॥३०॥
Ji▫o ban fal pāke bẖu▫e girėh bahur na lāgėh dār. ||30||
It is like the ripe fruit on the tree; when it falls to the ground, it cannot be re-attached to the branch. ||30||

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

The reason I brought this up is because last night I read Selok Bhagat Kabir Ji as follows:-
Kabeer, it is so difficult to obtain this human body; it does not just come over and over again.

It is like the ripe fruit on the tree; when it falls to the ground, it cannot be re-attached to the branch. ||30||

NamJap ji

My understanding of this vaak. It is always urgent and crucial to detach ourselves from all that is negative and instead, make amends and seek Sat Sang with Sadhsanghatth. We have only one chance to obtain mukhti, with God's grace. If we stray from dharma and neglect dhyanna and remembrance of the Name of the Divine, we may never have another opportunity.

Forgive me if I misunderstand the direction of your comments. 110 lifetimes signifies that in all those lifetimes Dhanna had always been sincere in his faith and had now in this one, the one of simplest faith, attained the greatest state. Complete surrender in love and submission to Waheguru. He never wavered, never left the path of devotion, never strayed in doubt. Not in a single lifetime.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

The saloka by Kabir and the story of Dhanna actually are intertwined. Kabir ji: Do not stray even once! Dhanna: The story of one who never strayed. :)

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Wow! Thank you for your insight Aad Ji. It has helped me to focus correctly now.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
It's the state of mind I was in. Earlier I chose to be confused. But after your answer, I chose (altered my own state of mind) to see with clarity and your answer made me do that.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
As usual ( must be Guru Jis Kirpa....nothing less ) Antonia Ji has managed to grasp the gust of wind....
YES this is definitely two sides of the same coin....Kabir Ji says "DONT",,and Dhanana Ji says..I DIDNT.

2. On whether such stories/fables should or shouldnt be.... I always try and discover everything inside GURBANI itself. We need to focus and firmly beleive that any "question" asked in Gurbani..will definitley be ANSWERED in Gurbani...it may occur 500 pannahs later...it may be right at the end...BUT its THERE all right. We dont need any extraneous stories to explain the Message. The danger in such is that stories being of "entertainment" value...leave a lasting impression in childish minds...there is a danger that the mind may then demand more stories in order to stay "interested".
3. Just listen to a one hour of katha by...Prof Gurbachan Singh Bangkok walleh..it will be solid one hour of GURBANI ....exposition...relevance...linking shabads from all over Gurbani... just listen to say Ragi attached to any Sant matt tradtion'Taksaal etc....and it will be 55 minutes of stories..sayings/quotes of this Baba ji/that mahapurash Ji..and maybe if we are lucky he may have a single line of GURBANI of about 5 minutes ( that also just singing the shabad - incomplete one).
There is a saying..a Female Goat gives MILK...but most frequently will somehow or other manage to put MEENGGANNAH into it. Imho i regard sich stories as meenggnnah in MILK of Gurbani related expositions/expalnations. Thus my students get ONLY Gurbani and NO STORIES.
5. In the above example....my students will ask...How did Dhanna Ji KNOW about his past lives ?? Did Kabir also know..did Guru nanak ji also know..Have all of them also written about it..why didnt Kabir Ji tell us about His Previous lives...does any Sant baba Mahapurash brahmgiani LIVING TODAY KNOW about his past life/lives ?? On Kabir Ji there is No problem...because the Sikh GURU Sahib also says the EXACT SAME THING...Gobind millan ke eh teri barreah..THIS IS THE ONLY chance to meet your Gobind !!..not once but thousands of times.....

5. On the sandalwood....the Sikh GURU SAHIB...SATGUR is PARAS... Paras is the mythical stone that by its touch turns substances into GOLD. But NO "PARAS" can turn another stone INTO a another PARAS...just GOLD only.... The SATGUR is a PARAS that makes others into PARAS...!!!! An ordinary factory produces "goods".....the Sikh Satgur Factory produces other FACTORIES !!! Other Factories also produce "waste products"....the SATGUR Factory produces NO WASTE....that is the Beauty of GURBANI in the Satgur SGGS...it is the PARAS that has the ABILITY to make US ordinary humans into PARAS...

Pardon me if i hurt anyones feelings...no offense meant or taken as always...

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
On the sandalwood....the Sikh Guru SAHIB...SATGUR is PARAS... Paras is the mythical stone that by its touch turns substances into GOLD. But NO "PARAS" can turn another stone INTO a another PARAS...just GOLD only.... The SATGUR is a PARAS that makes others into PARAS...!!!! An ordinary factory produces "goods".....the Sikh Satgur Factory produces other FACTORIES !!! Other Factories also produce "waste products"....the SATGUR Factory produces NO WASTE....that is the Beauty of GURBANI in the Satgur Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji...it is the PARAS that has the ABILITY to make US ordinary humans into PARAS...
Gyani Ji,

the following shabad confirms your understanding about paras.

Page 911, Line 1
ਪਾਰਸ ਪਰਸੇ ਫਿਰਿ ਪਾਰਸੁ ਹੋਏ ਹਰਿ ਜੀਉ ਅਪਣੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਧਾਰੀ ॥੨॥
पारस परसे फिरि पारसु होए हरि जीउ अपणी किरपा धारी ॥२॥
Pāras p{censored} fir pāras ho▫e har jī▫o apṇī kirpā ḏẖārī. ||2||
Touching the philosopher's stone, they themselves become the philosopher's stone; the Dear Lord Himself blesses them with His Mercy. ||2||
Guru Amar Das - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Naam Jappji..
Exactly jio.
Only the Satgur is the real Paras....that has this ability to make us into Paras.

Elsewhere Gurbani also declares..
'Chandan Kai Niktey Basey Baans Sugandh Na Hoi." which means, 'Near the Sandalwood tree dwells the Bamboo tree, BUT NEVER attains any scent !!!
Here is a scholarly article i read on the net on Sandalwood..Chandan and how its mentioned in Gurbani to teach various lessons...
CHANDAN - SANDLEWOODCHANDAN - SANDALWOOD Associating with the sandalwood tree, the tree nearby is changed;
that tree begins to smell just like the sandalwood tree. Coming into
contact with the philosophers’ stone, copper is transformed;
that
copper is transformed into gold. In the Company of Spiritual Being,
Kabeer is transformed;
that Kabeer is transformed into God (sggs 1158).
<><><><>
Spiritually Wise (Giaanee) assert that simple faith can be broken, but if it is strengthened by real understanding, then it can never be shaken or lost. In order to build up our faith in the principles and the Divine Teachings of the Gurbani (Sri Guru Granth Sahib, SGGS), practical and intriguing examples have been used throughout the Gurbani. In the ultimate issue these principles and teachings are common sense and self apparent to the Spiritually Wise (Gurmukhs or divine beings). However, it's not so in the case of the unthoughtful person (Manmukh: material or demoniac being). And the principles behind the examples and stories do seem to soak in; resulting in strengthening of our understanding upon which we can build an unshakable faith.
The example of Chandan (sandalwood) has been repeatedly used in the Gurbani. Perhaps many know that, ordinarily, sandalwood has the most divine fragrance. This fragrant nature of the sandalwood is symbolic of the of the Self ("Joti-Svaroopa"), which is within the body as the Infinite Bliss (Anand). As the fragrance is within the sandalwood, similarly, the Supreme Being is the inner essence of all, animate and inanimate. It may not be known to many that the same sandalwood can also emit a very obnoxious odor when left submerged in water! This is symbolic of man's submergence in the worldliness. This Gurbani Reflection will attempt to reflect at it's both aspects as well as their significance.
Sandalwood - Fragrance
The value of sandalwood lies in its lovely fragrance. This aspect of the sandalwood represents the divine qualities found in godly people or Gurmukhs. The smell of sandalwood is so sublime that its fragrance spreads out far and wide. As a result, the lowly trees growing near sandalwood also become just like it. Thus, whatever comes into contact with the sandalwood is uplifted. For example, when the soothing fragrance emanating from the sandalwood tree attaches to the other ordinary trees of the forest, they also begin to smell just as the sandalwood. In addition to sandalwood's aroma, it's also considered an Ayurvedic medicinal herb.

• Bhaar athaarah mahi chandan ootam chnadan nikat sabh chandan hooyiyaa. Saakat koore oobh sikk hooye mann abhimaan vichhur doo gayeeyaa: Of all plants, the sandalwood tree is the most sublime. Everything near the sandalwood tree becomes fragrant like sandalwood. The stubborn, false faithless cynics are dried up; their egotistical pride separates them far from the Lord (sggs 834).
  • Melaagar sangen nimm birakh si chandnah: The lowly Nimm tree, growing near the sandalwood tree, becomes just like the sandalwood tree (sggs 1360).
  • Gurmukh jaayi lahahu ghar apnaa ghas chandan har jas ghaseeyai: As Gurmukh, go and enter within your own home (Self); anoint yourself with the sandalwood oil of the Lord’s Praises (sggs 170).
The scriptures compare the Nature as well as the Association of Sat (Truth) with that of the sandalwood. As indicated in the scriptures, by remaining in the Company of Sat (Truth) within and without, a lowly conditioned being is transformed into Divine Consciousness!
  • Mil sat sangat param pad paayaa mai hirad plaas sang hari buheeyaa: Joining the Sat (Truth), I have obtained the supreme status. I am just a castor-oiltree, made fragrant by their association (sggs 834).
The function of an ax is to cut and destroy. However, the blade of an ax that cuts the Sandalwood also becomes fragrant! Similarly, if someone hurts or inflicts miseries unto godly beings, they show compassion toward that person just as the sandalwood imparts fragrance to the ax that cuts it!
  • Kabeer sant na chhadai santayee jayu kotic milai asant. Maliaagar bhuyangam bedhiyo ta seetaltaa na tajant: Kabeer, the saintly being does not forsake his saintly nature, even though he meets with millions of evil-doers. Even when sandalwood is surrounded by snakes, it does not give up its cooling fragrance (sggs 1373).
  • Kabeer chanadan ka birvaa bhalaa beriyo dhaak plaas. Oyi bhee chandan hoyi rahe base ju chnadan paas: Kabeer, the sandalwood tree is good, even though it is surrounded by weeds. Those who dwell near the sandalwood tree, become just like the sandalwood tree (sggs 1365).
It is said that the sandalwood trees remain encircled by the poisonous snakes! However, the sandalwood does not change its nature — it does not become poisonous like the sankes. To the contrary, it accommodates and tolerates the poison and remains fragrant at the same time!
  • Mailaagar bereh hai bhuyiangaa. Bikh amrit basahi ik sangaa: The snakes encircle the sandalwood trees. Poison and nectar dwell there together (sggs 525).
In some scriptures, God and His Name is likened to the sandalwood. As the sandalwood is cooling and soothing, so is the Divine Name. The Gurbani asks us for becoming scented with the perfume of this Name. Its fragrance spreads gloriously far and wide. Whosoever sit close to those imbued in It also get uplifted; just as the bitter Nimm tree growing near the sandalwood tree becomes permeated with the fragrance of the sandalwood.
  • Sarbe aad param laad kaasat chandan bhayilaa. Tumche paaras hamche lohaa sange kanchan bhaiyilaa: God, the Primal Source of everything, is like the sandalwood tree; He transforms us woody trees into fragrant sandalwood. You, O Pure Being, are the Philosopher’s Stone, and I am iron; associating with You, I am transformed into gold (sggs 1351).
  • Har har naam seetal jal dhiyavahu har chandan vaas sugandh gandhayeeyaa: Meditate on the cool water of the God's Name. Perfume yourself with the fragrant scent of God, the sandalwood tree (sggs 833-834).
  • Nal kavi paaras paras kach kanchanaa huyi chandanaa subaas jaas simrat an taro: So speaks Nall the poet: touching the Philosopher’s Stone, glass is transformed into gold, and the sandalwood tree imparts its fragrance to other trees; similarly, meditating on God, I am transformed (sggs 1398).
  • Taa te sangat saghan bhaayi bhayu maanahi tum maliyaagar pragat subaas. Dhroo Prahlaad Kabeer Tilochan naam lat upjo ju pargaas: And so, the entire Sangat loves, fears and respects You, O God. You are the sandalwood tree; Your fragrance spreads gloriously far and wide. Dhroo, Prahlaad, Kabeer and Trilochan chanted the Name of the Lord, and His Illumination radiantly shines forth (sggs 1406).
Mental delusion is caused by egotistical pride. Manmukhs (material beings) think that they control the material nature and thus feel puffed up in self-conceit. As a result, such conditioned beings commit mistakes and get in trouble. The first requirement for surrendering unto God is that one should be free from pride. Therefore, one with egotistical pride cannot even begin devotion (Bhagti); let alone Self-realization! A person diseased by the false pride is compared with the bamboo tree. To the contrary, God's humble beings (Gurmukhs) are compared with the sandalwood tree. In nutshell, the sandalwood should remind us of our "Joti-Svaroopa", and that we are to constantly remember God's Name.
  • Nikat basanto baanso Nanak ahambudh na bohte: But the bamboo tree, also growing near it, does not pick up its fragrance; it is too tall and proud (sggs 1360).
  • Kabeer baans badaayee boodiyaa iyu mat boodo koyi. Chanadan kai nikte basai baans sugandh na hoyi: Kabeer, the bamboo is drowned in its egotistical pride. No one should drown like this. Bamboo also dwells near the sandalwood tree, but it does not take up its fragrance (sggs 1365).
Sandalwood's Obnoxious Odor If sandalwood is kept immersed in water for some time, it will start emanating an obnoxious odor from the rotting wood. Thus, even though the sandalwood has very cooling and soothing fragrance, but when it remains in water for a long time it becomes conditioned and loses its divine fragrance and starts stinking. This aspect of the sandalwood represents Manmukh's (demoniac being) conditioned consciousness or evil-mindedness.
However, if the stinking sandalwood is removed from the water and rubbed against a stone, the beautiful fragrance slowly merges back. Now, let's try to reflect on the Spiritual significance of stinking "odor" and the "rubbing" against a stone.
The Gurbani declares that the Jeeva (unenlightened being) is made in the true Image of God (Joti-Svaroop). However, when this Pure Self is confounded with the body, senses, mind, and intellect, the stinking odor of Vaasnaa (latent tendencies) comes out at that time. And this rotten smell is none other than man's lust, anger, greed, delusion, self-conceit, stubborn mindedness, and enviousness (and their numerous variations). As a result, all divine qualities — truth, contentment, Self-knowledge (Aatam-Giyan), compassion, love, and so on — disappear from the heart.
Fly is attracted to filth. Hence the fly does not like to sit on fragrant sandalwood. Instead, it prefers to sit on stinking wood. Similarly, the man's deluded mind enjoys "sitting" on evil instincts and pleasure seeking, as well as brooding over worldly entanglements.

• Maakhee chnadan parharai jah bigandh tah jaayi: Kabeer, the sinner does not like God's devotion; he does not appreciate worship. The fly abandons the sandalwood tree, and goes after the rotten smell (sggs 1369).
In order to rediscover the Original Nature of the Self , we need to "rub" the Divine Name (Shabad-Awareness or Spiritual Wisdom) on the stone of our deluded mind (ego-sense or Haume, ignorance, impurities, Maya, etc.). By this "rubbing", the filth (Malla) and stinking odor of the ignorance born ego-sense will go away, and then one's True Nature — Blissful Conscious Existence — will spontaneously shine forth.
  • Teraa Naam karee charnaatheeyaa je mann ursaa hoyi. Karnee kungoo je ralai ghat antar poojaa hoyi: I would make Your Name the sandalwood, and my mind the stone to rub it on. For saffron, I would offer good deeds; thus, I perform worship and adoration within my heart (sggs 489).
The Pure Awareness is compared with the sandalwood encircled by the deadly snakes of evil passions. In order to get to the sandalwood of Divinity, one has to face these poisonous snakes. How can one strike them out? By drawing the Mighty Sword of the Spiritual Wisdom; says the Gurbani. The Shabad-Giaan (divine knowledge contained in the Gurbani) is the Mighty Sword of Spiritual Wisdom that can kill the deadly snakes of evil instincts.
  • Chandan vaas bhuyiangam veree kiv miliyai chandan leejai. Kaadh kharag gur giyan karaaraa bikh chhed chhed ras peejai: The fragrant sandalwood tree is encircled by snakes; how can anyone get to the sandalwood? Drawing out the Mighty Sword of the Guru’s Spiritual Wisdom, I slaughter and kill the poisonous snakes, and drink in the Sweet Nectar (sggs 1324).
  • Balto jalto tayukiyo gur chandan seetlaayiyo. Agiyan andheraa mit gayaa gur giyan deepaayo: I was burning, on fire, and the Guru poured water on me; He is cooling and soothing, like the sandalwood tree. The darkness of ignorance has been dispelled; the Guru has lit the lamp of Spiritual Wisdom (sggs 241).
The important thing to remember here is that by rubbing the stinking sandalwood against a stone, we do not give anew fragrance to the sandalwood; for the fragrance is always present within it! Due to its conditioning or contamination caused by its coming into the contact with the water, the fragrance was veiled; hence not available. That's all! Similarly, the True Nature of the Self (Truth-Knowledge-Bliss) is always present within; therefore, it is not something to be gained afresh. Once the veil of ignorance (ego or Haume) is removed by the Shabad-Giaan, it naturally shines forth. That's all! — T. Singh
Sikhism: Reflections On Gurbani

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਕਬੀਰ ਡਗਮਗ ਕਿਆ ਕਰਹਿ ਕਹਾ ਡੁਲਾਵਹਿ ਜੀਉ
कबीर डगमग किआ करहि कहा डुलावहि जीउ ॥
Kabīr dagmag ki▫ā karahi kahā dulāvėh jī▫o.
Kabeer, why do you stumble? Why does your soul waver?

ਸਰਬ ਸੂਖ ਕੋ ਨਾਇਕੋ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਰਸੁ ਪੀਉ ॥੩॥
सरब सूख को नाइको राम नाम रसु पीउ ॥३॥
Sarab sūkẖ ko nā▫iko rām nām ras pī▫o. ||3||
He is the Lord of all comforts and peace; drink in the Sublime Essence of the Lord's Name. ||3||

Dear members/sadhsangat Ji,

How can we understand what is NOT dagmag. When Guru Nanak has taught us Sach Bolo, DasaN nauarr di kirat karo and vand chakko, then if we do these, how can we know if we are or are not wavering?

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Instructions and Homework
Pass up Homework by 1st February. 2009

Read Selok 21 to 40 and present a write up of 200 words or more on your understanding of its contents. You may bring up your queries as part of your presentation.

Santokh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Please allow me to add my 2 cent worth. The reason this Salok is added in SGGS as many others in the same theme is the acknowledgement of the beliefs of Hindus and also the Muslims who believe in reincarnation and Hell and Heaven. This was important because the Pandits sold this snakeoil to the devotees as part of their fear tactic to make money and maintain their control over them. Mind you, when the mind-no pun intended, is controlled by someone else then the abuse takes place and people get trained to get used to the abuse because Pandits were and still are thought to have the ear of "God".

But people like Bhagat Kabir realised this a bogus thing. So to cut their umbilical cord from the fear of reincarnation, this beautiful Salok may have been penned by him.

The second line means that once you have followed the Gurmat path of breeding goodness within then you can savour this only life you know and forget about what may have happened in other births that you believe in.

You are one ripened fruit now. It is time for you to savour and let others savour of your goodness that you have bred in you through Gurmat ideals. And the seed you have in you as the fruit will bear more savoury and yummy fruits, provided you do not go astray.

Tejwant Singh

PS: Namjap, I admire your inner quest.Keep it up..

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
ਕਬੀਰ ਡਗਮਗ ਕਿਆ ਕਰਹਿ ਕਹਾ ਡੁਲਾਵਹਿ ਜੀਉ
कबीर डगमग किआ करहि कहा डुलावहि जीउ ॥
Kabīr dagmag ki▫ā karahi kahā dulāvėh jī▫o.
Kabeer, why do you stumble? Why does your soul waver?

ਸਰਬ ਸੂਖ ਕੋ ਨਾਇਕੋ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਰਸੁ ਪੀਉ ॥੩॥
सरब सूख को नाइको राम नाम रसु पीउ ॥३॥
Sarab sūkẖ ko nā▫iko rām nām ras pī▫o. ||3||
He is the Lord of all comforts and peace; drink in the Sublime Essence of the Lord's Name. ||3||

Dear members/sadhsangat Ji,

How can we understand what is NOT dagmag. When Guru Nanak has taught us Sach Bolo, DasaN nauarr di kirat karo and vand chakko, then if we do these, how can we know if we are or are not wavering?

Dagmag is duality....one having two feet in different boats...always at the fork in the road..wondering..right or left....
The Gurmatt Path is one straight and narrow path.....if we use the Gurmatt Tools gifted to us in the Gurbani of SGGS....and use them wisely..we will not dagmag

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Instructions and Homework
Pass up Homework by 1st February. 2009

Read Selok 21 to 40 and present a write up of 200 words or more on your understanding of its contents. You may bring up your queries as part of your presentation.

Santokh

Now you are scaring me NamJap ji ;). Who is going to grade the assignments? :shock: I will do my best to keep up.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: