Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sikh News Got (Surname) in Sikhi

Discussion in 'Breaking News' started by Arvind, Feb 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Arvind

Arvind
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor Supporter

I had read a good definition of a Sikh as follows:
    A Sikh listens Guru's teachings always. There is no question of caste, race, color, sex, clan, lineage etc for a sikh.

However, while looking at me and surrounding myself, Sikhs retain so many (Got) surnames instead of just 'Singh'. And recently, some have started putting 'Khalsa' as the last name.

By retaining the surnames indicating castes, Aren't we going back to the well from where Guru Gobind Singh ji pulled us out by giving Amrit daat?
    Can you retain your Got (surname) and still be against caste.

If not, what purpose do they serve then? Or does the got (surname) has any importance as far as Sikhi is concernd. If not sikhi, does it have any importance to people as such?

One of our members 'thecoopes' had mentioned in one post, that looking at all Singhs, he gets a feeling of universal brotherhood, and I do agree with that view-point.

Do share your views, what purpose got i.e. surname serve in the context of Sikhism.

Thanks, Arvind.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loading...