Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sikhism Good books to start leaning about sikhism

Discussion in 'Book Reviews & Editorials' started by dansmith11, May 15, 2006.

1. dansmith11

dansmith11
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Lately I've taken an interest in learning about sikhism.

What would be some good books to start off with reading?

I've read a lot on the net regarding the general philosphy and meaning of the religion, and I love what I've read so far! But I also dont really like sitting in front of a computer all day, so I'm looking for some good books to learn more about the religion and its meanings and histories etc.

Is there any books you would reccomend I read first? or should I just jump right in and read the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (is it correct to say The Sri Guru Granth Sahib? or is the the not needed?)

And as far as reading SGGS, what would be the best translation to read? It seems to me that the Khalsa Consensus Translation would be the easiest to understand and learn from for someone who only speaks/reads english. Is it possible to get this in a printed copy/book? I would rather not sit in front of the comptuer to read it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Dasam Granth, Historical Books And Rehatname (in Punjabi) Dasam Granth Jun 28, 2016
    General Best English Sikh History Books History of Sikhism Sep 21, 2013
    USA Textbooks Terming Sikhs as "terrorists." (online petition) Breaking News May 19, 2013
    Sikhism Free Ebooks on Sikhism Book Reviews & Editorials Jan 24, 2013
    Installing religious books at insitutes of learning Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Sep 16, 2012

3. Anoop

Anoop
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I forgot the name of this book, but its tittled something as...Mystical divine' with a saint babaji on the cover, its black, and its free, and should be in your local library. Its a fat book, with versus from the sri guru granth sahib ji. Theres alot of information. And as for a good video...download sikh ithiaas, very nice song, which includes the main sikhi events. Theres alot of sites on the internet, get information from there. Sikhism is a path to god. Theres so much to learn, which still is not yet discovered, so enjoy your read, and i wish you the very best of luck.

4. Archived_Member16

Archived_Member16
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Anoop Ji:

Please take a look at this site:
    http://www.sikhnation.com/BooksOnSikhi.html

Perhaps the books you might have in mind are:

1. Divine Mystic Reflections or Gurmat - Book 1
    2. Divine Mystic Reflections on Gurmat - Book 2
    3. The Miracle Of Ardas

These books have been authored by Saint Scholar Naranjan Singh Ji, (Shromani Kathakar) &/or Sant Baba Surain Singh Ji. The above mentioned website mentions also how to get these books free !

With Divine Love & Blessings of Waheguru Ji,

Harbhajan S. Sangha

5. max314

max314
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

The Sikhs by Patwant Singh

Great book detailing the history of Sikhism from pre-Nanak all the way to 1984.

It is a relatively concise-yet-highly informatice read.