• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Leisure God Gives I Take

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
11_12_2007_004_003.jpg

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
I'm confused regarding the epic of Hanuman and the stone formation bridge which links Sri Lanka with India. Hindus belief that the rock formation built by Hanuman and his monkey-army couldn't be natural and are indeed the work of Hanuman. But there are many skeptics who think otherwise.

Second question, if there are existence of man-monkey creatures with such strength and intelligence, where are their descendants ? There are no evidence of fossile findings of such creatures.

I believe in the freedom of practicing religion and what not.

And I hate preaching morality to others because I am hardly a beacon of morality myself... BUT .... as a humanist…some things just get me going.

instead of giving an offering to the gods why not give an offering to the poor.

I'm sure there is some kid in India suffering from a potassium deficiency that could have used that banana (or some kid going to bed hungry). Why not give them the banana?

Now, I’m not going to pick on just the Hindu’s… I wish to tell everyone a true story.

I saw something equally disturbing at a Gurdwara that I visited long ago. The Gurdwara I was present at had a podium made of marble stone where the Granth sahib sits while it is being read. The sole purpose of the podium is to elevate the Granth sahib above others and support a canopy complete with pillars (beautifully constructed). Every week when the Granth is supposedly “put to bed” (a ritual as fixated and ludicrous as any other) the 10 by 10 foot podium is washed with a fresh bucket of milk and then dried off with fresh towels (mind you, this is a MARBLE PODIUM). I watched in disarray as this took place, 10-15Liters of milk being wasted on Marble that in actuality is in desperate need of treatment with a small amount of cleaning agent and water.

Once the cultic chanting coupled with the rhythmic swaying of the towels stopped the ritual was far from finished. A lady in her mid to elderly years took a dab of the milk and applied it to her forehead and smeared a large blob onto her son’s turban (despite his initial struggles to dodge the cupped hand).

So I assume she thinks this milk (that had been used to clean the podium) contains a concoction that will bless her and her son. This is obviously paganism at its core (the washing of the podium, The over-treatment of the Granth which is drowned in colorful silk/satin sheets and the application of liquids to the forehead, etc, etc).

But couldn’t that milk be put to a better use? Instead of washing a marble podium? Just a thought.

Judging from the actions of institutionalized rituals, it is difficult for a Sikh to internalize Guru Nanak’s message of simplicity. Especially when the daily Hukamnama is coming from a temple armored with gold.

Just my thoughts.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Sinister Ji,

That's one way of looking at it.

I would say that what is applicable on the outside of us (mind, body and soul), is not applicable on the inside. And vice versa. Example, when we go out from our house to the streets, we wear shoes to protect our feet. The shoe takes on all the grim, dirt and dust and the outer layer of the shoes are soiled in similar fashion. But the inner layer of the shoes are clean just like our feet.

Ok, now !!
When we come home, we put those shoes on the rack and come in without them. Because those shoes are of no use to us inside our clean home.

Next level,

For some, what is on the inside, the same thing for others is on the outer. And vice versa.

Hello Namjap ji

I read your post, i know its symbolism and it was radically different from your previous post, which was remarkably rational and enlightened.

Which included the question:
Second question, if there are existence of man-monkey creatures with such strength and intelligence, where are their descendants ? There are no evidence of fossile findings of such creatures.

I think Hanuman is a pagan symbol....Just like the Physical granth acts as a pagan symbol for MANY sikhs. Or the Podium I talked of. Or holy-water (amrit).

these in my book are all initially symbols, which usually become fetishes.

cheers

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I believe in the freedom of practicing religion and what not.

And I hate preaching morality to others because I am hardly a beacon of morality myself... BUT .... as a humanist…some things just get me going.

instead of giving an offering to the gods why not give an offering to the poor.

I'm sure there is some kid in India suffering from a potassium deficiency that could have used that banana (or some kid going to bed hungry). Why not give them the banana?

Now, I’m not going to pick on just the Hindu’s… I wish to tell everyone a true story.

I saw something equally disturbing at a Gurdwara that I visited long ago. The Gurdwara I was present at had a podium made of marble stone where the Granth sahib sits while it is being read. The sole purpose of the podium is to elevate the Granth sahib above others and support a canopy complete with pillars (beautifully constructed). Every week when the Granth is supposedly “put to bed” (a ritual as fixated and ludicrous as any other) the 10 by 10 foot podium is washed with a fresh bucket of milk and then dried off with fresh towels (mind you, this is a MARBLE PODIUM). I watched in disarray as this took place, 10-15Liters of milk being wasted on Marble that in actuality is in desperate need of treatment with a small amount of cleaning agent and water.

Once the cultic chanting coupled with the rhythmic swaying of the towels stopped the ritual was far from finished. A lady in her mid to elderly years took a dab of the milk and applied it to her forehead and smeared a large blob onto her son’s turban (despite his initial struggles to dodge the cupped hand).

So I assume she thinks this milk (that had been used to clean the podium) contains a concoction that will bless her and her son. This is obviously paganism at its core (the washing of the podium, The over-treatment of the Granth which is drowned in colorful silk/satin sheets and the application of liquids to the forehead, etc, etc).

But couldn’t that milk be put to a better use? Instead of washing a marble podium? Just a thought.

Judging from the actions of institutionalized rituals, it is difficult for a Sikh to internalize Guru Nanak’s message of simplicity. Especially when the daily Hukamnama is coming from a temple armored with gold.

Just my thoughts.

Sinister whether you beleive it or not but here i fully agree with you.Food should not be wasted either as offering to god or cleaning something.

As far as giving it to poor is concerned here there is a problem.In india there is a big beggar mafia operate's which are very much active around religious places.giving food to poor will enhance this begging mafia and they will ruin the life of many children

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Sinister, aad ji, santokh singh ji

Here is an interesting life story of a devotee of hanuman.There was washerman who was a devotee of hanuman.He prayed to hanuman that his sons should be like him and beleive it or not.3 of his sons were born half humans and half monkeys

here is there picture
monkey_siblings_lg.jpg

These are not humans but they are also not monkeys.Science has no answer who are these.they are worshipped by many .they cannot speak.They just scream like monkeys.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
NamJap and kds 1980

You know that I have to practice restraint, keep the cork on :}8-::}8-::}8-::}8-::}8-:. So you don't want to get me going again in this direction.

Or maybe you do. :}{}{}:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
If you look up in the night sky, Orion is visible clearly and the stars seem closer to earth than any other part of the year. So the impact they have on human psyche is great. Usually emotions are flaring up beyond control. Any knowledge gained should make us better people.

Sinister whether you beleive it or not but here i fully agree with you.Food should not be wasted either as offering to god or cleaning something.

As far as giving it to poor is concerned here there is a problem.In india there is a big beggar mafia operate's which are very much active around religious places.giving food to poor will enhance this begging mafia and they will ruin the life of many children

Hello KDS

good to know,

Just don't donate around temples and feed the "begging Mafia". Give it to an anonymous child you meet on the street.

And in India, these children are not hard to find. :shy:

Sinister, aad ji, santokh singh ji

Here is an interesting life story of a devotee of hanuman.There was washerman who was a devotee of hanuman.He prayed to hanuman that his sons should be like him and beleive it or not.3 of his sons were born half humans and half monkeys

here is there picture
monkey_siblings_lg.jpg

These are not humans but they are also not monkeys.Science has no answer who are these.they are worshipped by many .they cannot speak.They just scream like monkeys.

These are humans Kds,

They might have been manipulated into thinking they were something else.
The one in the center looks like he has some sort of acromegaly. The other two look normal to me. Not the most handsome of devils but humans nonetheless.

The father probably just made up the story once he saw his sons were handicapped.

The one thing you have to ask yourself before you believe this stuff:

HOW MUCH MONEY DO THESE PEOPLE BRING IN ON AN ANNUAL BASIS?

-how much do people donate to them (like you said they have a huge following in India...the only place that is so enchanted that would actually reward this type of behaviour in this day of age)
-how much profit do they make from behaving like monkeys?

because in the end, this is what it looks like to me ..... "Stunt Baji"

Namjap ji,

Yeap...this is an ideal example of fetishism, deification, and the internalization of symbolism.

These people want us to believe that an army of monkeys built an 80 km long bridge 1.7 million years ago (linking sri lanka to the sub-continent)?

Mind you; there is no evidence of human civilization in India since only 300,000 years ago. Thus this is internalized mythology.

this is what I mean when I say;

"religion starts to insult the fabric of reason if it is translated without contextual meaning"...same thing happens to sikhs.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Thinking that I align with most if not all of the comments by Sinister ji for the last few comments in this conversation.

Namjap seems to be saying that if we attend to the night sky, taking in its vastness and beauty, a moment of transcendent calm is possible. Not astrology, just honoring the majesty of the universe.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: